|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where would the main character listen to something he loved as a child?
(a) His grandmother's house.
(b) The train depot.
(c) The church.
(d) His home.
2. What did the main character like to listen to as a child?
(a) Rain on the roof.
(b) Train whistles.
(d) Private conversations.
3. What did the main character's mother allow him to do even when it was inappropriate?
(a) Create art.
(b) Express his feelings.
(d) Kiss her.
4. What did the family member in Combray suffer from?
(c) A venerial disease.
(d) Imaginary ailments.
5. What is the name of Charles' daughter?
6. Who did the narrator walk with in Combray?
(a) His great aunt.
(b) His mother.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His father.
7. How did the narrator meet Eulalie?
(a) She was his uncle's mistress.
(b) She was friends with his aunt.
(c) She walked the same route in Combray.
(d) She was the maid at the Combray house.
8. How did the narrator feel about Combray?
(a) He endured it.
(b) He loved it.
(c) He was afraid of it.
(d) He hated it.
9. What did the narrator contemplate often while in Combray?
(a) All of these.
10. What were all the streets in Combray named after?
11. What does the author say had a deep impact on reality?
(a) All of these.
(b) Past experiences.
12. What about Swann did the main character's family talk about?
(a) His reputation.
(b) His art collection.
(c) All of these.
(d) His clothing.
13. What was the owner of the Combray house obsessed with?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) Her imaginary illnesses.
(c) His mistress.
(d) His trust fund.
14. What does the main character do as an adult when he can't sleep?
(a) Writes in his journal.
(b) Thinks of all the places he has been.
(c) Walks the streets.
(d) Drinks some whiskey.
15. Why was the main character surrounded by certain people as a child?
(a) His parents were very rich.
(b) He hated adults.
(c) His parents were very busy.
(d) He was an only child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the narrator say he never did lightly?
2. How did the narrator's mother treat Francoise?
3. How did the main character feel about his mother when he was a child?
4. Who in the family was the most rude to Swann?
5. What were Swann's visits to the main character's family a source of?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)