|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the narrator forbidden from seeing someone in Combray?
(a) She was known to be engaged.
(b) He had courtesans at his home.
(c) She was not worthy to marry.
(d) He was a heavy drinker.
2. Why did the main character hate to sleep when he was a child?
(a) He didn't like the dark.
(b) He had bad dreams.
(c) He missed his mother.
(d) He felt like it wasted time.
3. What country is Combray in?
4. What did the narrator say he never did lightly?
(b) Expressed himself.
(d) Confided in others.
5. Who did the narrator walk with in Combray?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His great aunt.
(d) His cousin.
6. What did the narrator like NOT doing while in Combray?
(a) Going to dinner parties.
(b) Going on walks.
(c) Attending the theater.
(d) Fighting with his father.
7. What never varied while the narrator was in Combray?
(a) His mother's headaches.
(b) The church bells.
(c) His aunt's routine.
(d) The menu.
8. What was the main character dreaming of at the beginning of the book?
(a) His mother.
(c) His home.
9. What did the narrator start doing after he met Charles' daughter?
(a) Living a life parallel to hers.
(b) Avoided all places she might be.
(c) Became good friends with Charles again.
(d) Wrote about his feelings for her.
10. Who did the main character say was a shadow of his mother?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His niece.
(d) His aunt.
11. What did the main character call his mother?
12. How did the owner of the Combray house keep abreast of the goings on in the town?
(a) Reading the paper.
(b) All of these.
(c) Getting gossip.
(d) Watching out the window.
13. What calmed the main character's nighttime fears as a child?
(a) The sound of wind.
(b) A special song.
(c) A dim candle.
(d) His mother's kisses.
14. What caused Swann to stop coming by the main character's house?
(a) His treatment of the main character.
(b) His choice of wife.
(c) His trickery.
(d) His lost fortune.
15. Who did the narrator like interacting with in Combray?
(a) His uncle.
(c) Fellow scholars.
(d) Common people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Charles' daughter?
2. What did the main character have depressing thoughts about at the beginning of the book?
3. Why was the main character surrounded by certain people as a child?
4. What does the main character do as an adult when he can't sleep?
5. What reminded the narrator of Paris while he was in Combray?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)