|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the narrator lose track of while reading in Combray?
(a) The schedule.
(c) His parents.
(d) His money.
2. What did the main character like to listen to as a child?
(a) Private conversations.
(b) Rain on the roof.
(d) Train whistles.
3. Who introduced Swann to the main character's family?
4. What did the narrator say he never did lightly?
(a) Confided in others.
(b) Expressed himself.
5. Who owned the house in Combray?
(a) Cousin William.
(b) Uncle Adolphe.
(d) The Great Aunt.
6. What is the main character in this book called?
(a) The Main Character.
(b) The Hero.
(c) The Narrator.
(d) The Boy.
7. What caused Swann to stop coming by the main character's house?
(a) His treatment of the main character.
(b) His trickery.
(c) His lost fortune.
(d) His choice of wife.
8. How did the main character describe Swann?
9. What did the main character wonder about when he was sleeping at the beginning of the book?
(a) Where time goes.
(b) What his parents do.
(c) Where babies come from.
(d) Why he feels sad.
10. What did the main character have depressing thoughts about at the beginning of the book?
(a) Moving from his home.
(b) Lonely people.
(c) Scary women.
(d) Watching a storm.
11. What did the main character say he was surrounded by as a child?
12. Why was the main character surrounded by certain people as a child?
(a) His parents were very rich.
(b) He was an only child.
(c) His parents were very busy.
(d) He hated adults.
13. How did the narrator feel when he was in Combray?
14. What does the main character do as an adult when he can't sleep?
(a) Walks the streets.
(b) Thinks of all the places he has been.
(c) Writes in his journal.
(d) Drinks some whiskey.
15. How did the narrator describe his walks through Combray?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the main character hate when there were guests at his house?
2. What kind of surroundings were near the vacation home of the main character?
3. Who lived with the family member of the narrator in Combray?
4. What kind of dreams did the main character have about women when he was a child?
5. What was the main feature of the aunt's room in the house in Combray?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)