|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Colonel Macklin do with the occupants of the RV who attempt to gain entrance to the shelter?
2. What does Leona do to buy more time for Josh and Swan?
3. Swan's mother has a dream about what shortly before dying?
4. What enables Roland to defend himself from the Fat Man?
5. After the collapse, Macklin worries about what resource within Earth House?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the fight that Josh engages in in Chapter 2?
2. What special powers does the glass ring exhibit as Sister and her group begin to use it?
3. Why does Sister decide to continue to Kansas?
4. What happens to Roland's parents during the fighting in Earth House?
5. What is the state of the survivors in PawPaw's shelter at the end of Chapter 17?
6. What new power does Swan exhibit for the first time while Josh digs out from PawPaw's shelter?
7. What does Roland do for Colonel Macklin?
8. What unusual abilities does Swan seem to possess?
9. How does Swan's group react to seeing the lit K-mart?
10. What unusual sight does Josh witness as he and Swan continue to search for a way out of PawPaw's shelter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robin and Swan are close in age and are immediately attracted to each other when they meet. For his part, Robin believes Swan to be the most beautiful girl he has ever seen. He falls in love with her at first sight. Although they know they have feelings for each other, they have difficulty expressing them, since they are adolescents and have had little social grooming.
1) Describe the similarities and differences between Swan and Robin. They are both leaders. How do their leadership styles differ?
2) Discuss why Robin and Swan are drawn to each other and why they have difficulties expressing themselves.
3) Explain how Robin and Swan grow closer and eventually confess their feelings.
Essay Topic 2
Macklin forms the Army of Excellence in order to expand his power and satisfy the depraved urges of the Shadow Soldier for blood and destruction. The Army is relatively successful under Macklin's command. It defeats many other armies and lays waste to Mary's Rest, nearly destroying everything that Swan and the other protagonists have worked for.
1) Explain how the Army of Excellence is formed, how it is commanded, organized, and run.
2) Describe the goals of the army and how is goes about achieving them.
3) Discuss the moral character of the army as a whole. What evil or unsavory acts does it condone? In what evil acts does it engage? What is Macklin's influence on these acts?
4) Summarize the effectiveness and success of the army, citing specific examples given in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Swan and the evil man are set up as diametrically opposed forces that eventually come into conflict near the end of the novel.
1) Describe Swan as a character and explain her powers. Discuss her capacities for forgiveness and compassion and their narrative importance.
2) Explain the evil man's powers, goals, and potential origins.
3) Explain how Swan and the evil man's personalities and goals stand in direct contradiction of one another.
4) Discuss some of the encounters between Swan and the evil man. Explain why he is unable to defeat Swan.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)