|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he lies trapped, Colonel Macklin has a flashback to his time in what place?
2. After her dream, Sister Creep wakes to realize that what threat is coming towards her?
3. In order to escape from the destruction, the President boards a plane with what code name?
4. Alvin and his followers force Josh to play a game called _________.
5. What are Sheila's drugs known as in the settlement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at PawPaw's store when the nuclear attacks begin?
2. What does Roland do for Colonel Macklin?
3. How does Swan's group react to seeing the lit K-mart?
4. Why does Sister "Creep" get into a fight in Chapter 2?
5. What unusual abilities does Swan seem to possess?
6. What are Macklin's first actions as the new ruler of the Salt Lake settlement?
7. What does Roland do during his family's initial visit to Earth House that demonstrates that he is reckless and insensitive?
8. What does "the man who likes movies" want when he is at the Empire State Theatre, and how does he get it?
9. Describe the problem that occurs at Earth House just after the nuclear attacks begin.
10. Why does Sister decide to continue to Kansas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robin and Swan are close in age and are immediately attracted to each other when they meet. For his part, Robin believes Swan to be the most beautiful girl he has ever seen. He falls in love with her at first sight. Although they know they have feelings for each other, they have difficulty expressing them, since they are adolescents and have had little social grooming.
1) Describe the similarities and differences between Swan and Robin. They are both leaders. How do their leadership styles differ?
2) Discuss why Robin and Swan are drawn to each other and why they have difficulties expressing themselves.
3) Explain how Robin and Swan grow closer and eventually confess their feelings.
Essay Topic 2
Many people and artifacts exhibit miraculous powers throughout the novel. It is clear that after the blasts, the world has changed in some fundamental ways. Magical or divine powers are present in the world and commonplace in the narrative of the protagonists.
1) Discuss the individuals who are known to demonstrate supernatural powers. Speculate as to where and how these powers might originate.
2) Explain some of the artifacts that are known to possess supernatural powers. Where do these objects originate? Were they mundane before the blasts? What imbued them with power?
3) Describe some of the ways that these miraculous powers affect the plot of the novel. Explain situations wherein they were critical to the story. Explain other important situations where they were merely incidental, and the focus of the story is on the people and their interactions, feelings, or emotions.
Essay Topic 3
Leona introduces the theme of inner and outward beauty when she meets Swan. Soon after, the Job's Masks begin to take effect on many survivors.
1) Explain Leona's comments about a person's inner and outward face.
2) Discuss the impact that the Job's masks have on their wearers before the masks' real function becomes widely known.
3) Describe the function of Job's Masks and use specific examples to explain how they help to reflect a person's inner beauty or ugliness.
4) Speculate as to the intent and purpose behind the Job's Masks and describe what kind of a being would have an interest in bringing about the masks' observed effects.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)