|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Josh and Swan discover that they believe might lead them to the surface?
(a) A gopher hole.
(b) A drainage hole.
(c) A fissure in the earth.
(d) A water pipe.
2. What is Crybaby?
(a) A cat.
(b) A dowsing rod.
(c) A radio.
(d) A terrier.
3. Chapter 6 opens in a theater named ______________.
(a) The Gottfried.
(b) The Golden Branch Theatre.
(c) The 36th Street Imperial Theatre.
(d) The Empire State Theatre.
4. How did Swan get her nickname?
(a) She had a pet swan as a child.
(b) It is a contraction of her real name.
(c) She is graceful like a swan.
(d) She has white hair like a swan's feathers.
5. What does Macklin discover when he is called away by Perimeter Control?
(a) The nuclear holocaust has begun.
(b) The Russians have invaded.
(c) Earth House has started to collapse.
(d) The sentries have been killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Colonel Macklin is encouraged by a mysterious entity that he calls __________.
2. Why does Macklin go to the lake after he, Roland, and Sheila move into the settlement?
3. What does a man do in Sister Creep's dream?
4. Why are the theater employees disturbed during the showing of a particular film?
5. When "the man who likes movies" touches Emiliano, what happens to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about the fight that Josh engages in in Chapter 2?
2. What disagreement does Colonel Macklin have with the builders of Earth House?
3. Why does Sister "Creep" get into a fight in Chapter 2?
4. Describe the ritual that the survivors in Paul's cabin carry out every day.
5. How does Sister Creep react to seeing the Spanish woman's dead child?
6. What is the state of the survivors in PawPaw's shelter at the end of Chapter 17?
7. How does Swan's group react to seeing the lit K-mart?
8. What special powers does the glass ring exhibit as Sister and her group begin to use it?
9. What does "the man who likes movies" want when he is at the Empire State Theatre, and how does he get it?
10. What new power does Swan exhibit for the first time while Josh digs out from PawPaw's shelter?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)