|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Etrigan warn Abby of in Book Seven?
2. What does the Justice League watch the Floronic Man do at the beginning of Book Four?
3. How does the Floronic Man knock out Swamp Thing during their fight in Book Four?
4. What sensual detail does Paul remember most from his encounter with The Monkey King?
5. How does the quote begin that Moore uses at the beginning of Book Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Swamp Thing is purely plant, Book Three seems to suggest that Swamp Thing has a vestige of humanity in his consciousness. How does Moore develop the idea that Swamp Thing possesses a type of humanity? How does Moore define humanity, if Swamp Thing, a purely golem creature is able to possess a sense of humanness? Using evidence from Book Three, explain humanity as Moore defines it.
Essay Topic 2
In Book Five, Moore develops several symbols tied to Matt's alcoholism. Identify at least two of these symbols and express how Moore uses them to develop significant themes or ideas. How does Matt's alcoholism affect the plot? Using evidence from Book Five, explore the relationship between Matt's alcoholism and the darker themes presented by Swamp Thing.
Essay Topic 3
Agree or disagree with the following statement: good storytelling should have great pacing, excellent dialogue, and a clear, concise style. If you think different devices should be included or excluded within the statement, then explain your reasoning and revise the statement. Finally, cite three examples from Swamp Thing that demonstrate whether or not Alan Moore constructed a good story according to the statement you revised.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)