|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Book Three, what does a police officer do after hearing about the destruction of a neighboring town?
2. Who is Swamp Thing battling against for his humanity?
3. What does Woodrue explain about Swamp Thing's escape and return?
4. What does Woodrue do with the article he takes from Swamp Thing?
5. What does Campbell say about the stories of the late 1960s?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even though comics turned toward more dense subject matter and darker topical material, what major problem does Campbell say still plagued comics in the 1960s?
2. What does the Floronic Man telepathically order to happen to the buildings in Lacroix?
3. What does Alec Holland's skull symbolize?
4. How does Woodrue lie to Abby Arcane and Matt Cable?
5. What universal human gesture does Moore use at the end of Book Four and why?
6. What special significance does Campbell say Moore imbues to the Floronic Man?
7. Name three devices Alan Moore employs that make him a good storyteller according to Ramsey Campbell.
8. Why is Book One told primarily in first-person?
9. Why does Matt summon demons and monsters in Book Five when Abby is not around?
10. How does Swamp Thing prove the Floronic Man is in fact hurting plant life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Five, Moore introduces a new character: Jason Blood. Using only Book Five as source material, explain how Moore develops Jason Blood's character. What does Blood's appearance say about his personality? How does Moore visually and verbally depict Blood? What seem to be the developing plot points surrounding Jason Blood? Identify how Moore lays out an interesting storyline using the mysterious figure of Jason Blood.
Essay Topic 2
Book Three develops the evil plot of the Floronic Man. Tackle the argument the Floronic Man provides: should humanity be destroyed because of its mostly ignorant but sometimes intended slaughter of plant life? Compile and develop at least three points that either agree or disagree with the Floronic Man's statement.
Essay Topic 3
In Book Five, Moore develops several symbols tied to Matt's alcoholism. Identify at least two of these symbols and express how Moore uses them to develop significant themes or ideas. How does Matt's alcoholism affect the plot? Using evidence from Book Five, explore the relationship between Matt's alcoholism and the darker themes presented by Swamp Thing.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)