|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Woodrue find when he dissects Swamp Thing?
2. Which Edgar Allen Poe short story is Book One clearly modeled after?
3. What does Swamp Thing compare Floronic Man's character to in Book Three?
4. What did the man arrange with Woodrue in exchange for performing an autopsy/dissection of Swamp Thing?
5. How does Woodrue connect his mind to a flower that grew from Swamp Thing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the second ominous warning Jason Blood issues in Book Five to a second man?
2. What does Swamp Thing immediately do after awaking from his coma?
3. How does Woodrue lie to Abby Arcane and Matt Cable?
4. How does Book One open?
5. Name three devices Alan Moore employs that make him a good storyteller according to Ramsey Campbell.
6. What does Jason Blood tell Abby Arcane about the Monkey King?
7. Why does Matt yell at Abby in Book Six and how does Abby respond?
8. How does the Floronic Man pass as a human?
9. What happens after Woodrue ingests a yam-like tuber growing from Swamp Thing's body?
10. What literary allusion is Book One distinctly modeled after?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moore explains that one key difference in comic book horror is the duration. Answer the following question: How does duration affect comic books, and specifically, comic books that deal with horror iconography? Use one of your own supporting ideas to back up your statement, and at least two examples from Swamp Thing.
Essay Topic 2
Agree or disagree with the following statement: good storytelling should have great pacing, excellent dialogue, and a clear, concise style. If you think different devices should be included or excluded within the statement, then explain your reasoning and revise the statement. Finally, cite three examples from Swamp Thing that demonstrate whether or not Alan Moore constructed a good story according to the statement you revised.
Essay Topic 3
In the foreword by Ramsey Campbell, Campbell provides a historical framework to set up Moore's writing. Campbell explains that there was a paradigm shift in the late 1960s within comics. Provide three examples of how comics changed during this time period, whether according to Campbell or according to your own perspective.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)