|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Campbell say the original character of Swamp Thing re-emerges as?
2. How does Abby Arcane react to Swamp Thing's distress?
3. What is wrong with Swamp Thing when Abby and Matt find him?
4. What does Campbell make a case for concerning Alan Moore's Swamp Thing?
5. When was the idea of Swamp Thing first conceived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of state does the Floronic Man put Lacroix's plants in during Book Three and why?
2. What does Swamp Thing immediately do after awaking from his coma?
3. Why does Matt yell at Abby in Book Six and how does Abby respond?
4. Why couldn't anyone in the Justice League save the earth from the Floronic Man's scheme?
5. What does the strange boy at the Elysium Lawns Center for Autistic Children ask everyone to do?
6. What is Woodrue's plan to kill the old man and does it work?
7. What reason does Moore use to explain why horror became so popular in the 1980s?
8. Why does Matt summon demons and monsters in Book Five when Abby is not around?
9. Name two elements of the symbolism behind the inclusion of "Evangeline" in Swamp Thing.
10. What does Swamp Thing dream of while in the swamp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Five, Moore introduces a new character: Jason Blood. Using only Book Five as source material, explain how Moore develops Jason Blood's character. What does Blood's appearance say about his personality? How does Moore visually and verbally depict Blood? What seem to be the developing plot points surrounding Jason Blood? Identify how Moore lays out an interesting storyline using the mysterious figure of Jason Blood.
Essay Topic 2
Book Three develops the evil plot of the Floronic Man. Tackle the argument the Floronic Man provides: should humanity be destroyed because of its mostly ignorant but sometimes intended slaughter of plant life? Compile and develop at least three points that either agree or disagree with the Floronic Man's statement.
Essay Topic 3
Book Two presents Swamp Thing and the Floronic Man as foils of each other. Define foil as it is used in Swamp Thing, then describe the historic use of foils in fiction. Finally, using the book as primary evidence, argue whether or not Swamp Thing and the Floronic Man are ideal foils of each other.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)