|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Fertility be waiting in for Tender after he escapes from the Super Bowl?
2. How does Adam describe the Creedish Church elders?
3. Who has experience with the travel method that Tender, Fertility and Adam use to escape the Super Bowl?
4. After the Super Bowl, what do the media begin referring to Tender as?
5. On their cross country trip, when they make a stop, what does Tender beg Fertility to get for him at a gas station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Tender get the miracles he predicts on Tender Branson's Miracle Minute?
2. What are Tender's memories of his childhood? What is Adam's reaction to Tender's memories?
3. What does Adam convince Tender to do after he is injured in the car crash? How does he do it?
4. What does Adam say that the Creedish did to the tenders and the biddies to discourage them from having sex?
5. What does the agent and his team do to Tender while he is in New York? Why?
6. Why is it important for Tender to get married at the Super Bowl?
7. Once they return home, where do Fertility and Tender spend the night? Who sees Tender and what is ironic about the whole situation?
8. How do Fertility, Tender and Adam plan to escape New Orleans after the Super Bowl? Where are they headed?
9. Describe the bathroom scene in the airport in New Orleans right before the Super Bowl.
10. What is happening in Tender and Fertility's relationship in chapters 23 and 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Tender becomes a "religious celebrity" he is placed in the hands of PR and marketing teams whose job it is to sell Tender as a product to the masses. Shortly after, the teams come up with every product under the sun exploiting Tender and the Creedish faith, including a fake bible, dashboard statuettes, television shows, diets and board games. Discuss the idea of selling religion to people. What did the agent and the PR and marketing teams hope to accomplish by selling Tender as a product? Were they just in it to make money? What does their success say about the masses of people who bought into their product? How is this relevant in the real world?
Essay Topic 2
This novel has a unique structure. Instead of starting at chapter 1 and ascending chronologically, the novel starts at chapter 47 and chronologically descends. The page numbers also descend, as the novel starts on page 289. What is the purpose of structuring the novel in this fashion? What effect does this have on the novel and on Tender Branson's story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Tender Branson, the main character in the novel. Include Tender's biographical details and a description of his personality. Consider the following questions: What is Tender's problem with personal relationships? How does Tender's childhood affect him? Why didn't Tender commit suicide when the other members of the Creedish Church did? How does Tender interact with the people he encounters in his life?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)