|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adam describe the Creedish Church elders?
2. Who writes Tender's speeches and hymns?
3. In what city is the Super Bowl taking place?
4. What is the agent actually taking but calling ChemoSolv?
5. Which of the following is NOT part of Tender's makeover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the agent and his team do to Tender while he is in New York? Why?
2. What does Adam say that the Creedish did to the tenders and the biddies to discourage them from having sex?
3. What evidence do the police have to suspect Tender of the murders of the agent and the caseworker?
4. Describe the bathroom scene in the airport in New Orleans right before the Super Bowl.
5. Where does Tender get the miracles he predicts on Tender Branson's Miracle Minute?
6. Who does the hijacker turn out to be? Explain.
7. What is Fertility's job? Explain Tender's reaction to it.
8. What does Adam convince Tender to do after he is injured in the car crash? How does he do it?
9. Is Fertility having more feelings for Tender after the Super Bowl? What evidence is there of this?
10. What does Tender decide to do in front of everyone in the auditorium before one of his shows and why does he change his mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author has an interesting approach to naming his characters. Discuss the significance of names in the novel. Include in your explanation the naming structure of the Creedish, the lack of names for the Creedish children, the lack of names for the caseworker and the agent and the irony of Fertility's name. What effect do these names, or lack thereof, have in the novel? Why did the author choose to name his characters in this manner?
Essay Topic 2
One of the most prevalent relationships in the novel is the relationship between Tender and Fertility Hollis. This relationship is also strange and complicated. Discuss the relationship between Fertility and Tender. How does this relationship come about? What is the nature of the relationship in the beginning? How does the relationship change and progress throughout the novel? What is the nature of the relationship at the end of the novel? Describe the feelings of the characters and give examples of where and how the reader sees these feelings showcased.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Fertility Hollis. Where does Tender first meet Fertility and what are the circumstances under which they develop a relationship? What does the character of Fertility bring to the novel as a whole? What is the significance of her character on the plot? What happens to Fertility at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)