|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tender discover his caseworker dead?
2. What is present around Tender's caseworker's dead body?
3. What does the caseworker use while helping at Tender's employers' house?
4. Why does the caseworker diagnose Tender with a new disease every week?
5. What were the Creedish supposed to do when God called them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tender have a caseworker?
2. What diseases does the caseworker diagnose Tender with, and why does she do this?
3. How does Tender come to receive calls intended for a suicide prevention hotline and why does he continue to take them?
4. What is the discussion between Tender and his caseworker after he believes he has taken a call from the killer of the Creedish survivors? Why does she tell him not to worry?
5. When Tender asks Fertility about the guy that she met in the cemetery, what thoughts and observations does she share about him?
6. How does Tender feel as he realizes he is the last remaining survivor of the Creedish Church?
7. Why is Adam allowed to get married while Tender is sent out into the world to work?
8. What does Fertility Hollis ask Tender when she calls his suicide hotline, and what reasons does she give for thinking that it is a good time for her to commit suicide?
9. After the agent arranges to pick Tender up, what does Tender call Fertility from the plane to ask her and what is her response?
10. What did Tender Branson learn in school as a tender, and what rules is he supposed to follow in the outside world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tender seems to be lacking self-esteem throughout the novel, and he never really has much of his own life. Tender becomes a sort of puppet for the people in his life who manipulate him and use him for their own purposes. Who in the novel does Tender seem to be a "puppet" for? How is he treated by the people in his life, from his employers to Fertility to the agent to the Creedish Church? What effect does this have on this character?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Tender gives bits and pieces of his past to the reader. The reader is able to piece together Tender's past and identify how he came to be the way that he is in the present. Tender, however, seems reluctant to share this information with the reader, much as he is with the caseworker. Discuss Tender's views on memories and his past. Is there a discrepancy between Tender's memories and what really happened in his past? Why? How does the reader discover this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Creedish Church using details from the novel. How does the name structure of the Creedish work? Who is allowed to get married and what happens to everyone else? What did the Creedish elders do the young children who would be sent out to work and why? Why did the Creedish commit suicide, and what were the circumstances that led to this?
This section contains 1,256 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)