|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tender want to talk to his caseworker about?
2. After her first "date" with Tender, what does Fertility ask "phone Tender" when she calls him?
3. What does Tender do on the phone so Fertility won't recognize him as the guy from the cemetery?
4. What does the pilot of the hijacked plane tell Tender will stay on until the plane crashes?
5. What does Fertility want to do for "cemetery Tender"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tender feel about Fertility's dreams and what is her response to him?
2. What was done to inspire the tenders and the biddies to get "perfect" before they left for the real world? What does Tender say about this?
3. Who is Trevor Hollis and what happens between Trevor and Tender Branson?
4. What did Tender Branson learn in school as a tender, and what rules is he supposed to follow in the outside world?
5. After finding out that Tender Branson is the last remaining survivor of the Creedish church, who tries to get into contact with him and what do they want?
6. How does Tender come to receive calls intended for a suicide prevention hotline and why does he continue to take them?
7. What is Tender's strategy for his first "date" with Fertility and a possible relationship with her?
8. What is happening as the novel opens?
9. What does Fertility Hollis ask Tender when she calls his suicide hotline, and what reasons does she give for thinking that it is a good time for her to commit suicide?
10. How does naming or rank work in the Creedish Church culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tender and Adam are twin brothers, but they are also seemingly opposites. Describe the relationship between Tender and Adam. What are the similarities and differences between Tender and Adam? What accounts for the similarities? The differences? Describe how these characters interact.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Tender gives bits and pieces of his past to the reader. The reader is able to piece together Tender's past and identify how he came to be the way that he is in the present. Tender, however, seems reluctant to share this information with the reader, much as he is with the caseworker. Discuss Tender's views on memories and his past. Is there a discrepancy between Tender's memories and what really happened in his past? Why? How does the reader discover this?
Essay Topic 3
How do you feel about the character of Tender Branson in the novel "Survivor"? Do you sympathize with Tender, or do you think he is a pathetic character? Give your reasons in detail. Is it possible for this character to have changed or evolved had he found a way off of the airplane at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)