|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Levi and the others have to pay to have a zinc-pot made?
2. In Chapter 11, how long had Levi and Jean been friends?
3. What was Elias Lindzin's number?
4. Last spring, how many men lived in two huge tents?
5. Where was Kraus Pali from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would the Poles keep the knowledge that a selection was imminent to themselves?
2. Why did Levi get sent to Ka-Be in Chapter 17?
3. What was "Operation File"?
4. Why was it better to be beaten than to work to exhaustion?
5. Why was a man hung in Chapter 15?
6. Why did Levi live through the great selection of October 1944 with tranquility?
7. In Chapter 16, why did Alberto and Levi need a zinc-pot, and where did they get one from?
8. What did Jean and Levi discuss on the way to get the ration in Chapter 11?
9. Why was it highly unlikely that Levi or his comrades would be able to pass the examination to get into the Chemical Kommando?
10. Who were the Prominents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, Levi credited Lorenzo with helping him to survive. What did Lorenzo do for Levi? Why wasn't that what Levi meant when he said Lorenzo saved him? What did Lorenzo remind Levi of? How did that save Levi?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 3, Levi felt as though he was participating in an initiation as he learned the ways of the camp. In what way was Levi's introduction to the camp an initiation? Why was the process so difficult? Did what Levi went through help him acclimate to the camp?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, Levi told the stories of Schepschel, ALfred L., Elias, and Henri. What did these men have in common? Were their survival methods similar in any way? What did the stories about these men demonstrate about survival?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)