|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator hallucinates that her body and the trees
2. The narrator finally recovers the memory of
3. The narrator compares Anna to
4. What object does the narrator search for without success before leaving the cabin?
5. The narrator seduces Joe because
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the narrator's definition of American. What does it mean to be an American according to the narrator? Who or what in the novel is represented by the term American and why?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the statement, "Man masters nature not by force but by understanding." Write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify this statement using Atwood's novel as the basis for your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of Atwood's novel includes many details on the food she either serves her guests or consumes herself. Write an essay in which you discuss the significance of the mealtimes, food, or consumptive habits stressed in the novel. Consider Atwood's purpose in including these details.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)