|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of the chapter the narrator reveals the attitude that
2. What does the narrator feel is her first mistake during her visit to the store?
3. What does the narrator find hanging from a tree?
4. What is the narrator afraid will happen if she leaves her scrapbooks out around the others?
5. The first danger the group encounters is
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the fact that the others have locked the narrator out of the cabin?
2. What perceptions do her guests have of the town?
3. Describe the narrator's initial beliefs about Americans.
4. What confusion seizes Joe while he is sleeping?
5. Describe the narrator's flashback about the birth of her child.
6. When the narrator reviews old photos she claims to see the missing part of herself. What is the missing part?
7. Why does the narrator refuse to believe David and Anna's story about her father?
8. What happens when the narrator attempts to communicate with Joe in the chapter?
9. Why does the narrator hide from the searchers?
10. Why is the narrator upset with her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator's views on taking life change throughout the course of the novel. Write an essay in which you discuss the narrator's development and her changing views on the value of life. Use at least three examples from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the ideas of power and powerlessness in the novel. What might Atwood be communicating about the actions and responsibilities of the powerful? What might she suggest about the powerless? Write an essay in which you explore Atwood's message about the powerful, the powerless, or both.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the narrator's definition of American. What does it mean to be an American according to the narrator? Who or what in the novel is represented by the term American and why?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)