|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator decides her childhood was a good one because
2. At the end of the chapter the narrator reveals the attitude that
3. Who arrives on the island at the start of the chapter?
4. In the flashback about her mother, the narrator reveals
5. The narrator feels the others will not understand her search for her father because
Short Essay Questions
1. When the narrator reviews old photos she claims to see the missing part of herself. What is the missing part?
2. What is significant about David's interest in fishing and filming Random Samples?
3. Why does the narrator destroy David's film?
4. In what way is Anna like "a burned leech?"
5. What perceptions do her guests have of the town?
6. What is the narrator's revelation about Christ?
7. What is significant about the fact that the others have locked the narrator out of the cabin?
8. How does the narrator see David?
9. Why does the narrator take Joe outside in order to have sex with him?
10. Describe the picture the narrator has found as a "gift" from her mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author seem to indicate about the power of language in the text? What statements or scenes reveal her purpose in emphasizing language in the novel? Write an essay in which you identify Atwood's message about language and its power or limitations.
Essay Topic 2
The lake features prominently in Atwood's story. What associations or connotations does the narrator give the lake? How has the lake played an important role in her life and the lives of her family members?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the Canadian wilderness in Margaret Atwood's Surfacing. How does the wilderness represent the narrator's a) past, b) struggles or c) both. Create an argument in which you support points a, b, or c.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)