|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Though the narrator has memorized survival guides, she realizes that it is still possible
(a) To detach herself from nature entirely.
(b) To forget which plants are edible and which are not.
(c) To lose one's way.
(d) To learn more about nature.
2. Instead of reading or playing bridge, the group decides to
(a) Smoke pot out by the lake.
(b) Have a bonfire.
(c) Tell each other stories about their childhoods.
(d) Hunt for the next day's breakfast.
3. Along the journey in the lake the narrator sees
(a) A paper company cutting down trees.
(b) Surveyors looking over her land.
(c) Surveyors plotting to raise the lake for use as a reservoir.
(d) Construction workers building on the lake.
4. The narrator and her companions are traveling in
(d) The United States.
5. The others agree to wait at the motel because
(a) They know the narrator wants to get away from them.
(b) They are not welcome in the town.
(c) They want to avoid an emotional situation with the narrator.
(d) They just want to have fun and drink beer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator find hanging from a tree?
2. At the gas station, the narrator is embarrassed when her friends
3. The narrator believes her father
4. The narrator describes her job as
5. What information does Anna share with the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the experience the narrator has with her mother.
2. What is suggested by the group's ignorance about nature?
3. Describe David's view of his marriage.
4. Describe the picture the narrator has found as a "gift" from her mother.
5. What attitude does the narrator express about the emotions of others?
6. Why do David and Joe want to avoid the narrator's search for her father.
7. Why does the narrator decide to return to the city?
8. What childhood memory interrupts the narrator's feeling of complicity in the heron's death?
9. Why is the narrator upset with her parents?
10. When the narrator discovers that the other campers are Canadian, not American as she had suspected, what new fear grips her.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)