|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator's father preferred animals to people because
(a) They did not speak.
(b) They were guided by nature.
(c) They could survive in the wild.
(d) They behaved rationally and predictably.
2. David blames the changes in the town and the negative outcomes on
(a) Changing times.
(b) Changing values.
(d) Americans and capitalism.
3. Instead of reading or playing bridge, the group decides to
(a) Have a bonfire.
(b) Hunt for the next day's breakfast.
(c) Smoke pot out by the lake.
(d) Tell each other stories about their childhoods.
4. The narrator believes Joe first liked her because
(a) She is an artist.
(b) She has distanced herself from her family.
(c) She does not drink alcohol.
(d) She expresses no emotion.
5. The narrator pretends she is working so she can
(a) Look through her father's papers again.
(b) Avoid Anna's embarrassing confessions.
(c) Have some quiet inside the cabin.
(d) Hide from David and Joe.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator and her companions are traveling in
2. David is most interested in
3. The others decide they want to
4. The narrator believes her parents never took down the chicken-wire enclosure because
5. In the flashback about her mother, the narrator reveals
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the narrator's description of the herons?
2. Describe the narrator's relationship with her traveling companions.
3. Why does the narrator decide to return to the city?
4. Why does the narrator take Joe outside in order to have sex with him?
5. How does the narrator describe the "lost" part of herself during her encounter with Joe?
6. Why does the narrator believe all her friends are "Americans" now?
7. What were the narrator's experiences with religion as a child?
8. Describe the narrator's relationship with other children.
9. What change has occurred in the narrator's views on fishing and hunting?
10. What kind of relationship does the narrator seem to have with Joe?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)