|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Reviewing her father's papers, the narrator discovers
(a) Her father had been trying to publish an article.
(b) Her father had begun a career as an artist.
(c) Her father had been sending insane letters to scientists.
(d) Her father had been searching out cave paintings.
2. The narrator's father preferred animals to people because
(a) They were guided by nature.
(b) They could survive in the wild.
(c) They behaved rationally and predictably.
(d) They did not speak.
3. The narrator takes her guests to visit what local oddity?
(a) The bottle house.
(b) The motel.
(c) The fountain.
(d) The teepee.
4. The narrator reports that she is beginning to suspect
(a) That she is somehow different from her guests.
(b) That she cannot communicate in English.
(c) That her head and body are somehow separate.
(d) That her father is alive.
5. The narrator claims to rehearse
(a) Disaster scenarios.
(c) Facts and figures.
6. The narrator says her father's house is difficult to find because
(a) Camouflage was one of his best abilities.
(b) Neighbors were a nuisance to him.
(c) Evans keeps taking wrong turns.
(d) No one really wants to find him.
7. What does David want to do with the fish in the morning?
(a) Cook it over an open fire.
(b) Film it for Random Samples.
(c) Take a photo with it.
(d) Bury it for fertilizer.
8. In the flashback about her mother, the narrator reveals
(a) That bears were threatening the island.
(b) That her mother was afraid of the bear, but did not show it when she protected her children.
(c) That her mother was too afraid to protect her children.
(d) That nothing can keep children safe.
9. What is Bill Malmstrom's purpose in visiting the island?
(a) He wants to search for the narrator's father.
(b) He wants to seize the land for the government.
(c) He wants to buy the narrator's property.
(d) He wants to scare the narrator into leaving.
10. What does the narrator find hanging from a tree?
(a) A torn-up doll.
(b) A dead fish.
(c) A dead heron.
(d) Her father.
11. The name of the film David is making is called
(a) Random Samples
(b) Random Sayings
(c) Random Places
(d) Samples of Reality
12. The narrator reveals that she has not visited her parents here because
(a) She thought her parents would live forever.
(b) There would be too many explanations.
(c) There would be too much to forgive.
(d) She always felt out of place here.
13. The repetition of the word "echoes" in the last paragraph suggests
(a) Repeating or revisiting the past.
(b) Having one's own words thrown back at them.
(c) Making the same mistakes over and over again.
(d) Refusing to hear others properly.
14. What is suggested by the fact that the narrator describes Anna as her best woman friend, though they've know each other only two months?
(a) The narrator does not like people.
(b) The narrator and Anna have many things in common.
(c) The narrator does not have many female friends.
(d) The narrator and Anna have actually known each other much longer.
15. David and Anna seem to communicate by
(a) Exchanging silent looks.
(b) Teasing or ignoring each other.
(c) Fighting agressively at all times.
(d) Telling others what they think of each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about the narrator's brother drowning?
2. In the morning, the narrator and Joe discuss
3. Along the journey in the lake the narrator sees
4. What change is developing in the narrator's relationship with Joe?
5. When the women discuss birth control, the narrator suggests
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)