|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Instead of reading or playing bridge, the group decides to
(a) Hunt for the next day's breakfast.
(b) Have a bonfire.
(c) Smoke pot out by the lake.
(d) Tell each other stories about their childhoods.
2. The narrator believes that her childhood made her
(a) A stronger person.
(b) Socially retarded.
(c) A bitter person.
(d) Mentally retarded.
3. The narrator says her father's house is difficult to find because
(a) Camouflage was one of his best abilities.
(b) Evans keeps taking wrong turns.
(c) No one really wants to find him.
(d) Neighbors were a nuisance to him.
4. What is Bill Malmstrom's purpose in visiting the island?
(a) He wants to buy the narrator's property.
(b) He wants to search for the narrator's father.
(c) He wants to seize the land for the government.
(d) He wants to scare the narrator into leaving.
5. The narrator has identified two different women in town known as Madame because
(a) None of the women in town had names when she was a child.
(b) Madame is a common name in Canada.
(c) She cannot remember anyone's name anymore.
(d) She remembers them as older, married women.
6. When the narrator visits her mother in the hospital, she informs her mother that
(a) She is never returning to Canada.
(b) She is living with a man who is not her husband.
(c) She is divorced and has abandoned her child.
(d) She will not be attending the funeral.
7. At the gas station, the narrator is embarrassed when her friends
(a) Admire the moose dressed as people.
(b) Take what they want without buying anything.
(c) Take pictures of the locals without asking.
(d) Use curse words in front of the locals.
8. What happens between the narrator and Joe while picking blueberries?
(a) The narrator tells Joe she is in love with someone else.
(b) Joe breaks up with the narrator.
(c) The narrator tells Joe she is returning to her husband.
(d) Joe proposes and the narrator refuses.
9. The narrator describes the lake as
(a) Blue and cool as redemption.
(b) Faded and defaced.
(c) Green and inviting.
(d) A haze of tears and vomit.
10. David is most interested in
(c) Listening to the radio.
11. What is significant about the narrator's brother drowning?
(a) He develops a lifelong fear of water.
(b) He is looking up out of the water.
(c) He does not die, but is saved by his mother.
(d) The narrator never gets a chance to know him.
12. The narrator believes Joe first liked her because
(a) She does not drink alcohol.
(b) She is an artist.
(c) She expresses no emotion.
(d) She has distanced herself from her family.
13. The narrator decides that everything she values about Joe is
14. The others decide they want to
(a) Stay on for the rest of the week.
(b) Continue fishing.
(c) Help the narrator find her father.
(d) Hunt for bears.
15. The narrator's father preferred animals to people because
(a) They were guided by nature.
(b) They behaved rationally and predictably.
(c) They did not speak.
(d) They could survive in the wild.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say she should have studied instead of art?
2. At the end of the chapter the narrator decides
3. What is the narrator afraid will happen if she leaves her scrapbooks out around the others?
4. David suggests Americans want the land because
5. The narrator reports that she is beginning to suspect
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)