|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does the narrator recall asking her husband on their wedding day?
(a) Why can't we just go on like before?
(b) Why are you doing this to me?
(c) Aren't I good enough for you?
(d) Do you feel better?
2. The narrator's father preferred animals to people because
(a) They were guided by nature.
(b) They did not speak.
(c) They behaved rationally and predictably.
(d) They could survive in the wild.
3. What were the subjects of the narrator's drawings in her scrapbooks?
(a) Woodland animals.
(b) Cave paintings.
(c) Women and Easter eggs.
4. The narrator is trying to decide
(a) Whether she loves Joe.
(b) Whether she loved her parents.
(c) Whether she loved her first husband.
(d) Whether she is falling in love with David.
5. David is most interested in
(a) Listening to the radio.
6. What change is developing in the narrator's relationship with Joe?
(a) The narrator is willing to wait to see if she loves him.
(b) The narrator has decided she loves Joe.
(c) The narrator has decided that she wants a marriage like David and Anna's.
(d) The narrator is beginning is to see that she no longer wants to be in the relationship.
7. The canoe trip is difficult for the group because
(a) The Americans have interrupted their progress.
(b) The wind is strong and the group is inexperienced.
(c) The canoe is too heavy.
(d) David and Joe cannot be trusted.
8. The narrator and her companions are traveling in
(b) The United States.
9. The narrator finally tells Anna
(a) That her father is probably dead.
(b) That she has been married and has a child.
(c) That she wants to leave the island.
(d) That Joe has proposed.
10. The narrator thinks she cannot communicate with Joe because
(a) She is afraid he will be violent.
(b) She does not know the right language.
(c) She does not want to.
(d) He does not know what he is talking about.
11. The first danger the group encounters is
(a) The grizzly bears.
(b) The American fishermen.
(c) The narrator's insane father.
(d) The slippery, rotted dock.
12. What information does Anna share with the narrator?
(a) That she has frequently been unfaithful to David.
(b) That David is in love with the narrator.
(c) That David's flirtation is really all about her, not the narrator.
(d) That she and David are not happily married.
13. Though David catches the fish, the narrator must
(a) Throw it back as it is too small.
(b) Reel it in and kill it.
(c) Hand it over to the Americans.
(d) Provide him with the bait and kill the fish.
14. The narrator takes her guests to visit what local oddity?
(a) The bottle house.
(b) The fountain.
(c) The teepee.
(d) The motel.
15. The narrator describes her job as
(a) Pretentious and worldly.
(b) Important and undervalued.
(c) Awkward and ill-fitting, like an artificial limb.
(d) Appropriate and tailored to her, like a well-made suit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts the narrator in the outhouse and why?
2. What does the narrator notice about the fountain in town?
3. The narrator compares Anna's cries to
4. While the narrator shops, her companions
5. What new structure has invaded the narrator's hometown?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)