|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Feynman does not like the Japanese language because it was too concerned with being _________.
2. Feynman has a long fascination with hallucinations and _____________.
3. Why is Feynman invited to Washington, DC by the Secretary of the Army?
4. After Feynman gives his lecture on Mayan culture, what does his friend Murray Gell-Mann give a lecture on weeks later?
5. What is the first document Feynman has to sign for the city college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Feynman mistaken for a Native American performing a tribal ritual?
2. Why does Feynman decide to learn about Mayan mathematics?
3. Why does Feynman take art lessons from Jiyrayr Zorthian?
4. Why does Feynman ultimately resign from textbook reviewing?
5. How does Feynman help the cab driver figure out which university to take him to for the conference in North Carolina?
6. Why is Feynman asked to give a lecture on Mayan math at UCLA?
7. Why does a group of rabbinical students consult Feynman on scientific matters?
8. Although "The Seven Percent Solution" discusses physics in a technical way, what is the main point of the chapter?
9. How does Feynman advise students that they can avoid the cargo cult?
10. What does Feynman realize when he befriends some Las Vegas showgirls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Feynman warns student to test all possible explanations for phenomena, to examine all data empirically without personal bias, and to extend the same courtesy and humility when discussing your research with laypeople as you do toward fellow scientists. Describe some of the ways Feynman demonstrated these traits throughout his life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Feynman's thoughts on the "the reality of experiences" through his interest in dreams, hallucinations, and hypnosis.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think was Feynman's purpose for writing this book and how would you characterize his ego?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)