|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Feynman want to sign the last document needed by the city college?
2. Where does Feynman get his term "cargo cult"?
3. In what year does Feynman attend a conference at the University of North Carolina?
4. What would Feynman's landlady in Ithaca come to his apartment to listen to?
5. Where does Feynman spend his first year of teaching at Caltech?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Feynman help the cab driver figure out which university to take him to for the conference in North Carolina?
2. Why does Feynman's refusal to sign a fourteenth signature create confusion for the college's accounting department?
3. Why does a group of rabbinical students consult Feynman on scientific matters?
4. What stipulation does Feynman make before agreeing to lecture at a local city college?
5. What convinces Feynman that Japanese culture is more civilized than American culture?
6. Who teaches Feynman to have "out of body" experience in the deprivation tank?
7. Who introduces Feynman to the sense deprivation tank?
8. What does Feynman discover about particle decay theory?
9. Why is the experience of winning the Nobel Prize stressful to Feynman?
10. How does Feynman advise students that they can avoid the cargo cult?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Feynman is a self-reported "one-sided" scientist. Discuss how he achieves success in so many artistic mediums.
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Feynman approach life like he approaches physics? In what ways is his approach to life different than his approach to science?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Feynman calls his "puzzle drive"--the part of him that longs to find the solution to puzzles. Give three detailed examples of how he uses his "puzzle drive" to solve a problem or make a discovery.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)