|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the end of the book, Feynman has concluded that it is not a ____________ world.
2. Feynman told the woman from Denmark after the Nobel dinner that they could talk about physics because everybody ___________.
3. What language does the Chinese speaking Caucasian at the Caltech house party think Feynman was using?
4. What planet does Feynman use in his example of how he spotted the fake Mayan document?
5. While visiting Caltech, where does Feynman drive every night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Feynman mean by "cargo cults"?
2. What stipulation does Feynman make before agreeing to lecture at a local city college?
3. Why is Mrs. Smith flustered when Feynman speaks to her in "fake Chinese"?
4. Why is Feynman mistaken for a Native American performing a tribal ritual?
5. Although "The Seven Percent Solution" discusses physics in a technical way, what is the main point of the chapter?
6. Why is Feynman asked to give a lecture on Mayan math at UCLA?
7. Why does Feynman's refusal to sign a fourteenth signature create confusion for the college's accounting department?
8. Why does Feynman give lectures under a false name after winning the Nobel Prize?
9. What convinces Feynman that Japanese culture is more civilized than American culture?
10. Why does Feynman decide to learn about Mayan mathematics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss your five favorite Feynman anecdotes and why they resonated with you.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Feynman's analogy of the cargo cult and what he was trying to illustrate to future scientists.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Feynman's fascination with languages and other cultures. What are some of the lessons he takes away from these experiences?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)