|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tools does Feynman need to pick a Yale lock?
2. What does Feynman do to entertain the girls at the Girl Scout father-daughter banquet?
3. For what kind of project does an airline in California offer Feynman a position as director of its laboratory?
4. Why is Feynman deferred from the army again after the war?
5. To what does Feynman credit his desire to fix radios when he was just a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Feynman's experience like on his trips to Brazil?
2. What does Feynman mean when he says he is working with a "different box of tools" than the math students are?
3. How does Feynman spend the money he makes giving weekend lectures in Buffalo?
4. What makes Feynman nervous about attending Princeton and what poses challenges for him?
5. How does Feynman meet Albert Einstein?
6. What is the result of the improvements to his job that young Feynman tries while working at his aunt's hotel?
7. How does Feynman get to perform with a samba during the Rio carnival?
8. Why does Feynman get paid one dollar for ideas on nuclear energy?
9. What kind of work does Feynman do for the army?
10. Why is Feynman rejected by the army draft board?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Feynman underplays the role he had in developing some of the biggest ideas of the twentieth century? Or, is it possible that some of the biggest ideas of his time period were just casual occurrences, as he makes them out to be?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Feynman's experiences in the field of Biology. What motivates Feynman to explore subjects out of his field of expertise?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the many things in Feynman's private life that you wouldn't necessarily associate with a professor in physics and a Nobel laureate, and why.
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)