|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During a one-year sabbatical, what does Feynman work on in a biology lab?
2. What does the Japanese salesman in Brazil challenge Feynman to do?
3. Where are the top secret papers first kept at Los Alamos?
4. What is a popular topic in the graduate lounge at Princeton?
5. What did people call dragonflies when Feynman was growing up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "party trick" does Feynman do with his ability to smell?
2. What challenges does Feynman face in his undergraduate courses?
3. What is Feynman's fascination with locks and safes?
4. How does Feynman get to perform with a samba during the Rio carnival?
5. What happens when Feynman encounters a Japanese man who wants him to use an abacus to solve math problems?
6. What kind of work does Feynman do for the army?
7. What is Feynman's "fake Italian"?
8. How does Feynman spend the money he makes giving weekend lectures in Buffalo?
9. Who teaches Feynman to use logic to solve math problems?
10. What is the result of the improvements to his job that young Feynman tries while working at his aunt's hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Feynman underplays the role he had in developing some of the biggest ideas of the twentieth century? Or, is it possible that some of the biggest ideas of his time period were just casual occurrences, as he makes them out to be?
Essay Topic 2
Feynman is a self-reported "one-sided" scientist. Discuss how he achieves success in so many artistic mediums.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail what aspect of Feynman's life was most surprising and why.
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)