|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Harpo Scruggs work as a prison guard?
2. What does Mulcahy threaten the man with at the end of the section?
3. Who does Lester Cobb say is a pimp?
4. How does Purcel hurt Jimmy Fig in this section?
5. What war did Jimmy fight in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the two brothers eventually die?
2. What does Maddux say he knows about Harpo Scruggs?
3. Why is Mulchaly confused about the term break the seal?
4. Why did Sunshine drop the charges of rape against the two brothers?
5. Why happened to Elijah's slave Lavonia?
6. What problems is Lila Trombonne causing in Chapter 10?
7. How does Cool Breeze say things started to go downhill for Ida?
8. What photograph of Flynns does Robicheaux see in this section?
9. What does Cool Breeze tell Robicheaux about the two brother's murders in Chapter 10?
10. What childhood memory does Robicheaux recall in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could most of the characters be described as immoral? In what is this a typical theme of hard-boiled detective stories?
Essay Topic 2
What does it say about Harpo's role in the murders that he feels so guilty and eventually murders himself?How does Harpo's guilt tie in with the novel's overall theme of power?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the story have so many characters? What are the advantages and disadvantages of having so many characters in a novel?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)