|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cole call himself when he calls his partner?
2. What is the name of Haig's store?
3. Why does Rossi deem herself the best person to climb down to Susan Martin's body?
4. What does Green want Elvis to do since his investigation of Rossi is over?
5. Where was Mrs. Earle when Angela Rossi arrested her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lucy and Elvis respond to seeing him on the news for the first time?
2. Why does Pete Bishop say, "It's gonna be a headliner. We'd better call the boss," when Susan Martin's body is discovered?
3. Describe the meeting between Cole and Jonathan Green when they met to discuss Angela Rossi.
4. What does Cole notice about Jonathan Green's office when he meets him and Truly about his Rossi report?
5. How does Rossi's former partner, Raymond Haig, feel about her?
6. Describe Elvis' interactions with Floyd M. Thomas, Ms. Bonell, and Mrs. Reese.
7. Describe Elvis' meeting with Teddy Martin. Why is Elvis upset with Green?
8. What evidence does Jonathan Green provide Elvis to show that Teddy Martin is innocent?
9. Who is Lucy Chenier and what is her connection to Elvis?
10. What does Jonathan Green tell the media about Elvis Cole's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the media play in this story? Write an essay that explains who manipulates the media and how. Additionally, use text evidence from the beginning, middle, and end of the book to demonstrate how the media affected the outcome of the Susan Martin case.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role that the setting of this book, Los Angeles, plays in the story. Discuss the ways in which Los Angeles impacted the characters, plot, and themes of this story. Provide text evidence that support your inferences. Include a discussion about the ways the Susan Martin murder investigation would have changed if it took place outside of Los Angeles?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a theme from the book (greed, power, money, conspiracy, etc.) and write an essay that explains how this theme relates to the plot. Identify characters and their actions that exemplify this theme as well as how it connections to the murder investigation of Susan Martin. Provide text evidence from throughout the book that explains how this theme relates to the plot and characters.
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)