|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 1, what does FDR decide to do about his Golf Club membership?
2. What type of attitude has Al Smith had toward FDR in the past?
3. What is Eleanor doing at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
4. Which character does FDR refer to as a "man of iron"?
5. Which character tells FDR, "God bless you." in Act 3, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss FDR's relationship with Sara. Describe the control Sara has over FDR's life, both before and after his illness. What epiphany does FDR have about his mother after his illness? How does FDR's relationship with his mother change after he stands up to her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects of polio on FDR's character. How does the support or lack thereof that family and friends provide affect his recovery? What effect could paralysis have on FDR's political future? What role does the public's acceptance of FDR play in his decision to remain active in politics?
Essay Topic 3
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and information? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)