|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Sara give FDR before leaving for the stage in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. How does FDR feel about the concept of "noblesse oblige?"
3. Which state yields to New York?
4. How does FDR respond to Mr. Lassiter's opposition to Al Smith?
5. What does Mr. Howe drink in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why FDR feels lonely inside a house filled with people. How does loneliness affect FDR's mood and behavior? What factors or events provoke FDR to combat his loneliness? How does he reduce his feeling of loneliness and become more active in society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How do the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the factors that motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play? What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)