|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kisses FDR before leaving for the stage in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. When is Act 3, Scene 2 set?
3. In Act 3, Scene 3, how many steps must FDR take to reach the podium?
4. Which United States president did FDR meet as a child?
5. What is Eleanor doing at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jimmy's relationship with his father. How does FDR's perception of Jimmy change throughout the years? What impact does Jimmy have on FDR's recovery and political pursuits?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of symbolism in the play. What is the significance of FDR's 10 steps? Discuss the significance of FDR's need to stand for the duration of his speech. What is the significance of FDR's crawling? Discuss the significance of the progress FDR makes emotionally by becoming physically independent.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between FDR's illness and his desire for political office? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)