|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of attitude has Al Smith had toward FDR in the past?
2. Why does Mr. Lassiter oppose Al Smith's bid for president?
3. Which state yields to New York?
4. In Act 3, Scene 3, how does the crowd react to FDR when he begins to walk on the platform?
5. What advice does Sara give FDR before leaving for the stage in Act 3, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of polio on FDR's character. How does the support or lack thereof that family and friends provide affect his recovery? What effect could paralysis have on FDR's political future? What role does the public's acceptance of FDR play in his decision to remain active in politics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how FDR's privileged upbringing may have affected the development of his character. What expectations does Sara have for her son, and why? What perceptions does FDR have of privilege before his illness and what factors influenced his views? How does FDR's illness affect his perception of privilege?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the progression of FDR's political ambitions throughout the play. How are his ambitions affected by his illness? How do relationships with other characters affect his political ambitions? Are FDR's political views easily swayed by the influences of external events?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)