|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does FDR chide Anna in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Which United States president did FDR meet as a child?
3. What type of attitude has Al Smith had toward FDR in the past?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does FDR tell Mr. Howe before his departure?
5. Why doesn't FDR eat dinner with his family at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and information? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss FDR's relationship with Sara. Describe the control Sara has over FDR's life, both before and after his illness. What epiphany does FDR have about his mother after his illness? How does FDR's relationship with his mother change after he stands up to her?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between the protagonist and antagonist of the play. How do they relate to and affect each other? What conflicts arise between the two? How are these issues resolved? Which "character" is more successful and why?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)