|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 3, how many steps must FDR take to reach the podium?
2. Who is coming to dinner in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does FDR attempt to do when alone at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Why does Mr. Howe leave the house in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. How does Al Smith react to Missy's offer of a drink in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of fate and destiny in the play. What destiny is FDR fated to receive, and what lessons are learned by other characters as a result? Does Schary present destiny as a predetermined fate or a result of personal choice and hard work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different conflicts evident in the play. What types of literary conflicts exist, and which characters or elements interact in these conflicts? What is the major conflict, and how is it resolved after the climax?
Essay Topic 3
What vulnerabilities does FDR demonstrate? How does FDR express the fears his vulnerabilities create? How do other characters attempt to protect FDR's vulnerabilities, and what effect do their actions have on his character?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)