|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who kisses FDR before leaving for the stage in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. What has happened to Bourke Cockran in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What does FDR convince Al Smith to put on the schedule of the Democratic National Convention?
4. Why does FDR break up the law firm he has with Emmett and Marvin?
5. How does Al Smith react to Missy's offer of a drink in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jimmy's relationship with his father. How does FDR's perception of Jimmy change throughout the years? What impact does Jimmy have on FDR's recovery and political pursuits?
Essay Topic 2
How does FDR demonstrate his determination and resourcefulness in the play? Compare FDR's need for determination and resourcefulness both before and after his illness. How does polio strengthen FDR? What effect could his determination and resourcefulness have on his ability to lead others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different conflicts evident in the play. What types of literary conflicts exist, and which characters or elements interact in these conflicts? What is the major conflict, and how is it resolved after the climax?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)