|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Al Smith want FDR to do for him?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, where does FDR decide to display the gift he has been given?
3. Which character shakes FDR's hand before leaving for the stage in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. Which character does the policeman briefly apprehend in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. What office does Al Smith hold in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To what higher purpose does FDR feel he is called? What role does FDR's paralysis play in his decision to follow his new purpose in life? What skills or virtues has he learned that will prepare him for his new purpose? How does FDR's new purpose affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between FDR's illness and his desire for political office? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how FDR's privileged upbringing may have affected the development of his character. What expectations does Sara have for her son, and why? What perceptions does FDR have of privilege before his illness and what factors influenced his views? How does FDR's illness affect his perception of privilege?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)