|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who holds FDR's crutches in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. Which state is also known as the "Nutmeg State"?
3. Which speaker does the chairman introduce in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What state does the chairman call first in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. In Act 3, Scene 3, how does the crowd react to FDR when he begins to walk on the platform?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the settings of the play are designed to affect the mood of the drama. How do the characters' placement onstage (blocking) affect the mood of the play? What effects do the changes of environment have on the characters in the play, particularly in regard to FDR's recuperation? How do mood and setting help express the themes being presented as the scenes change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the balance between hope and despair evident in the play. How do the action and dialogue of the play affect that balance? How is the balance between hope and despair used to express the themes of the play? In the end, which emotion do the characters experience and why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why FDR feels lonely inside a house filled with people. How does loneliness affect FDR's mood and behavior? What factors or events provoke FDR to combat his loneliness? How does he reduce his feeling of loneliness and become more active in society?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)