|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Al Smith, what is the first objective of a politician?
2. Why must the speakers on the platform yell?
3. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2, who is wrestling with Elliott and Franklin Jr.?
4. Which famous sports figure supports Al Smith?
5. Where is Act 3, Scene 3 set?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and information? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between FDR's illness and his desire for political office? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why FDR feels lonely inside a house filled with people. How does loneliness affect FDR's mood and behavior? What factors or events provoke FDR to combat his loneliness? How does he reduce his feeling of loneliness and become more active in society?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)