|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 3, how does the crowd react to FDR when he begins to walk on the platform?
2. What is Eleanor doing at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Why doesn't FDR eat dinner with his family at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Which of FDR's children is present in the beginning of Act 3, Scene 2?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Mr. Howe read to FDR?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different conflicts evident in the play. What types of literary conflicts exist, and which characters or elements interact in these conflicts? What is the major conflict, and how is it resolved after the climax?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between FDR's illness and his desire for political office? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of polio on FDR's character. How does the support or lack thereof that family and friends provide affect his recovery? What effect could paralysis have on FDR's political future? What role does the public's acceptance of FDR play in his decision to remain active in politics?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)