|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, what does Mr. Howe wish that the house contained?
2. How are Eleanor and the children leaving Campobello?
3. What sends FDR to bed early in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. In the opening of Act 1, Scene 1, where has FDR been all day?
5. Where is FDR being transported to in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eleanor aid her husband in Act 2?
2. What opinion does FDR have of Al Smith?
3. What is the purpose of Mr. Lassiter's visit?
4. How do the speakers on the platform gain the crowd's attention in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. Why does Dr. Bennett describe FDR has having the "body of a bull -- disposition of a lamb"?
6. What does the speaker in Act 3, Scene 3 yell at the delegates?
7. Why do Sara and Mr. Howe argue in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. What different diagnoses are given for FDR's condition?
9. In Act 1, Scene 3, why does Sara disagree with Mr. Howe and Eleanor about the method they are using to transport FDR to New York?
10. Describe the family's evening entertainment in Act 1, Scene 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and information? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of friendship and family are valued by the characters in the book? What value is placed on friendship and family relationships, and what appreciation do family members and close friends show for one another? How do the relationships among the characters affect FDR's recovery?
Essay Topic 3
What vulnerabilities does FDR demonstrate? How does FDR express the fears his vulnerabilities create? How do other characters attempt to protect FDR's vulnerabilities, and what effect do their actions have on his character?
This section contains 1,248 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)