|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is dressed as an Indian at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, when does the family expect to be able to move FDR to a hospital?
3. Who writes FDR's speeches?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does the Roosevelt family decide to do after dinner?
5. What does Mr. Howe buy in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the speaker in Act 3, Scene 3 yell at the delegates?
2. What opinion does FDR have of Al Smith?
3. How does FDR's experience with polio affect his character?
4. What different diagnoses are given for FDR's condition?
5. How could FDR be lonely in a house full of people?
6. Describe Missy LeHand.
7. What is FDR's mood upon leaving the house in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. What epiphany does FDR experience about his mother at the end of Act 2?
9. What is the significance of Sara's presence in Act 3, Scene 2?
10. How does FDR respond to Mr. Lassiter in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and information? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the factors that motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play? What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
Essay Topic 3
What vulnerabilities does FDR demonstrate? How does FDR express the fears his vulnerabilities create? How do other characters attempt to protect FDR's vulnerabilities, and what effect do their actions have on his character?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)