|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news bothers FDR as he reads the paper in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Where is FDR planning to go to find new leg braces?
3. Which child is called "the runt" in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. In the opening of Act 1, Scene 1, where has FDR been all day?
5. Who is Harding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What epiphany does FDR experience about his mother at the end of Act 2?
2. How does FDR interact with his children after his illness?
3. How does FDR's experience with polio affect his character?
4. Why does Eleanor burst into tears while reading a story to her children?
5. Why does FDR ask Missy to procure a blueprint of Madison Square Garden?
6. What different diagnoses are given for FDR's condition?
7. What meaning does the poem "Invictus" have for FDR?
8. What opinion does FDR have of Al Smith?
9. How does the general public react to the news of FDR's disability?
10. How does FDR fill his day while recuperating in his New York home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are suspense and fear used to motivate characters and progress the action of the play? How is suspense built onstage by using offstage characters and information? How does suspense add interest to the play and help express the themes of the play?
Essay Topic 2
To what higher purpose does FDR feel he is called? What role does FDR's paralysis play in his decision to follow his new purpose in life? What skills or virtues has he learned that will prepare him for his new purpose? How does FDR's new purpose affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the progression of FDR's political ambitions throughout the play. How are his ambitions affected by his illness? How do relationships with other characters affect his political ambitions? Are FDR's political views easily swayed by the influences of external events?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)