|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character dances for FDR in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. In the opening of Act 1, Scene 1, where has FDR been all day?
3. How is FDR leaving Campobello?
4. Who is Babs?
5. Where is Granny in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eleanor burst into tears while reading a story to her children?
2. Describe Sara.
3. What is the significance of FDR's attempt to walk at the end of Act 2?
4. What epiphany does FDR experience about his mother at the end of Act 2?
5. What is FDR's mood upon leaving the house in Act 1, Scene 3?
6. How does the general public react to the news of FDR's disability?
7. Why does Dr. Bennett describe FDR has having the "body of a bull -- disposition of a lamb"?
8. How does FDR interact with his children after his illness?
9. Describe Missy LeHand.
10. In Act 1, Scene 3, why does Sara disagree with Mr. Howe and Eleanor about the method they are using to transport FDR to New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the factors that motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play? What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between FDR's illness and his desire for political office? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different conflicts evident in the play. What types of literary conflicts exist, and which characters or elements interact in these conflicts? What is the major conflict, and how is it resolved after the climax?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)