|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What diagnosis does Dr. Lovett give for FDR's condition?
2. What opinion does Sara have of Mr. Howe?
3. What does Anna complain to Eleanor about in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does FDR claim is Mr. Howe's first love?
5. Which character does not want FDR to be involved in politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What struggles does Anna have in Act 2?
2. How does FDR's experience with polio affect his character?
3. Describe the family's evening entertainment in Act 1, Scene 1.
4. Describe FDR in Act 1, Scene 1.
5. Describe Sara.
6. How does FDR interact with his children after his illness?
7. How does FDR use his creativity and industriousness to aid in his own recovery?
8. What is the significance of FDR changing into his leg braces in Act 3, Scene 2?
9. What does FDR mean in Act 1, Scene 1, when he asks Eleanor to keep him from "getting into deep water"?
10. What does the speaker in Act 3, Scene 3 yell at the delegates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does FDR demonstrate his determination and resourcefulness in the play? Compare FDR's need for determination and resourcefulness both before and after his illness. How does polio strengthen FDR? What effect could his determination and resourcefulness have on his ability to lead others?
Essay Topic 2
What vulnerabilities does FDR demonstrate? How does FDR express the fears his vulnerabilities create? How do other characters attempt to protect FDR's vulnerabilities, and what effect do their actions have on his character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of polio on FDR's character. How does the support or lack thereof that family and friends provide affect his recovery? What effect could paralysis have on FDR's political future? What role does the public's acceptance of FDR play in his decision to remain active in politics?
This section contains 2,090 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)