|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is FDR wearing when he leaves Campobello?
2. Which character wishes FDR could go to Hyde Park to rest?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, which engagement does FDR tell Missy to cancel?
4. Why does FDR practice crawling?
5. Who is Babs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What epiphany does FDR experience about his mother at the end of Act 2?
2. How do the speakers on the platform gain the crowd's attention in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. How does Mr. Howe prevent the press from photographing FDR while he is being carried out of the house?
4. How does Mr. Howe comfort Jimmy in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Describe the scene in which FDR finds himself in Scene 3 of Act 3.
6. Why does FDR refer to Jimmy as a "man of iron"?
7. How does the general public react to the news of FDR's disability?
8. What struggles does Anna have in Act 2?
9. What would Sara like to have FDR do in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. How does FDR's illness affect his body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of symbolism in the play. What is the significance of FDR's 10 steps? Discuss the significance of FDR's need to stand for the duration of his speech. What is the significance of FDR's crawling? Discuss the significance of the progress FDR makes emotionally by becoming physically independent.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between FDR's illness and his desire for political office? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 3
What vulnerabilities does FDR demonstrate? How does FDR express the fears his vulnerabilities create? How do other characters attempt to protect FDR's vulnerabilities, and what effect do their actions have on his character?
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)