|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Grace?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what does Mr. Howe wish that the house contained?
3. Which two characters argue about FDR's future at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Who is Duffy?
5. What does FDR claim is Mr. Howe's first love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe FDR and Mr. Howe's relationship.
2. Why does FDR continue to conduct business throughout his illness?
3. What does FDR comment about as he reads the paper in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Describe FDR in Act 1, Scene 1.
5. Describe Eleanor.
6. How does FDR fill his day while recuperating in his New York home?
7. Why does Dr. Bennett describe FDR has having the "body of a bull -- disposition of a lamb"?
8. What concerns do both FDR and Al Smith have about the assistance he will provide Smith?
9. How does FDR interact with his children after his illness?
10. What is the significance of Sara's presence in Act 3, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of symbolism in the play. What is the significance of FDR's 10 steps? Discuss the significance of FDR's need to stand for the duration of his speech. What is the significance of FDR's crawling? Discuss the significance of the progress FDR makes emotionally by becoming physically independent.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of poetic imagery in the poem "Invictus." Which forms of poetic imagery are used in the poem, and what senses do the words evoke? Since "Invictus" is FDR's favorite poem, what does its imagery reveal about FDR's perception of himself? What personal philosophy or belief could "Invictus" represent for FDR?
Essay Topic 3
What elements of friendship and family are valued by the characters in the book? What value is placed on friendship and family relationships, and what appreciation do family members and close friends show for one another? How do the relationships among the characters affect FDR's recovery?
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)