Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does FDR plan on going up the stairs at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What language does Granny encourage the children to speak?
3. Who is Babs?
4. Where is Act 2, Scene, 1 set?
5. How much time has passed between the end of Act 1, Scene 1, and the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does FDR respond to Mr. Lassiter in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What is the purpose of Mr. Lassiter's visit?
3. Describe Louis Howe.
4. How does FDR fill his day while recuperating in his New York home?
5. Why do FDR and Mr. Howe disagree about the ending of his speech in Act 3, Scene 2?
6. How does FDR respond to the crowd in Act 3, Scene 3?
7. What are FDR's plans for standing during his speech?
8. What information is given to the press about FDR's condition in Act 1, Scene 3?
9. What is the significance of FDR's attempt to walk at the end of Act 2?
10. Why does Dr. Bennett describe FDR has having the "body of a bull -- disposition of a lamb"?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in the play. What ironies result from the conflict between FDR's illness and his desire for political office? What is the purpose of the ironies evident in the play? Is irony an effective tool to change behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the settings of the play are designed to affect the mood of the drama. How do the characters' placement onstage (blocking) affect the mood of the play? What effects do the changes of environment have on the characters in the play, particularly in regard to FDR's recuperation? How do mood and setting help express the themes being presented as the scenes change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the factors that motivate the characters in the play. How do these motivations develop and change through the course of the play? What lessons are learned by the characters as their motivations change?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)