|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term is used in Chapter 9 to describe “a 400-gallon water carrier that could be hitched onto the back of a truck”?
2. Captain Coles says to Private Perry in Chapter 13 regarding the war, “It teaches you things, though. What it’s taught me is” what?
3. What is the name of the Iraqi boy in Al-Uhaimir that sets up the soccer game between the American soldiers and the Iraqi children of the village in Chapter 12?
4. Private Perry describes seeing a whole truckload of notebooks and school supplies that arrived for the Iraqi children from where in the U.S. in Chapter 14?
5. When the CA unit watches cartoons and decides to map out a plan for Wile E. Coyote to finally trap the Road Runner in Chapter 12, they develop a set of specs to send to what corporation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event takes place as Perry’s convoy is backed up in a line of vehicles in Chapter 12?
2. Where is Private Perry invited to go on a tour with Corporal Kennedy in Chapter 8?
3. How is the setting where Private Perry goes on tour with Corporal Kennedy described in Chapter 8?
4. What mission is the CA unit assigned in Chapter 10? Where is the mission located?
5. What does Perry contemplate of the complexity of their situation in Iraq in Chapter 13?
6. Why is the CA unit to remain in the Green Zone for a period of time in Chapter 13?
7. Where are the First, Second, and Third Squads of the CA unit sent in the end of Chapter 14? How is this setting described by Jonesy?
8. Whom do Perry’s team have tea with in Chapter 9? What do they learn from this character?
9. What sports game takes place in Chapter 12? What is the purpose of the event?
10. What does the CA unit do during their time in the Green Zone in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the members and duties of the soldiers in the First, Second, and Third Squads of the CA unit in Chapter 2. What squad is Private Perry assigned to? Who are his teammates in this squad? Who is the gunner?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the terrorist attacks that took place in New York and Washington, D.C. on September 11, 2001 and the declaration of war between the United States and Iraq in March of 2003. How many people were killed in the terrorist attacks? What were the objectives of the war in Iraq when it first began? How did the 9/11 attacks influence Private Perry’s decision to join the military?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of An Najaf. How many people live in this city? How does the narrator compare this setting to the settings of Baghdad and other locales seen in the first five chapters of the novel?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)