|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jonesy say that Oprah Winfrey got her name in Chapter 9?
2. What word from Chapter 12 refers to a loose hooded cloak, typically woolen, traditionally worn by Arabs?
3. Where does Private Perry describe his grandmother going to “drink tea from glasses instead of cups” when she was young in Chapter 9?
4. When the CA unit is informed that they are not to leave the Green Zone in small numbers, Captain Coles goes to find out what happened at Corporal Kennedy’s request in Chapter 13. He returns with news that a marine unit found a bunch of civilians dead where?
5. Where did Jerry Egri live before he left for the military?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Corporal Rios say he ordered a monkey from eBay in Chapter 9?
2. How is the setting where Private Perry goes on tour with Corporal Kennedy described in Chapter 8?
3. What game does Private Perry play with the Iraqi children in Al-Uhaimir in Chapter 9?
4. What causes the argument between Jonesy and Sergeant Harris in Chapter 10?
5. What mission is the CA unit assigned in Chapter 10? Where is the mission located?
6. Where are the First, Second, and Third Squads of the CA unit sent in the end of Chapter 14? How is this setting described by Jonesy?
7. Who does Captain Coles introduce to the Civil Affairs unit in Chapter 10?
8. Where does Perry’s unit go first in order to pursue their mission in Chapter 11? Who acts as translator?
9. Where does Private Perry’s CA unit find success in their mission in Chapter 11?
10. Who makes the discovery of the detonators in Chapter 10? Where are they located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting of An Nasiriyah. How populous is this city? How much fighting has been taking place here? How does Private Perry compare this setting to Doha by the Sea?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of An Najaf. How many people live in this city? How does the narrator compare this setting to the settings of Baghdad and other locales seen in the first five chapters of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Private Perry’s relationship with his father and his father’s ambitions for Perry to attend college. How does Private Perry feel about the concept of going to school as he writes to Uncle Richie in Chapter 6?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)