|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the acronym “RPG” refer to in the narrative?
2. Captain Coles says of the civilians that were found dead in Chapter 13, “From what I gathered the thinking is that they were killed by one of” what?
3. In his letter to Uncle Richie in Chapter 11, Private Perry says that his mother has been asking if she can send him anything. What does Perry request that his uncle have her send if money isn’t too tight?
4. The stuffed monkey that Corporal Rios receives in the mail in Chapter 9 is what kind of monkey, according to Captain Miller?
5. What does Jerry Egri say he did back home in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonesy say he likes about Iraq in Chapter 8?
2. Who makes the discovery of the detonators in Chapter 10? Where are they located?
3. How does Private Perry come to rescue Captain Miller in Chapter 14?
4. Where are the First, Second, and Third Squads of the CA unit sent in the end of Chapter 14? How is this setting described by Jonesy?
5. Where does Perry’s unit go first in order to pursue their mission in Chapter 11? Who acts as translator?
6. How is the character of Jerry Egri described in Chapter 12?
7. What does Corporal Rios find when he opens the package from eBay in Chapter 9?
8. Where does Private Perry’s CA unit find success in their mission in Chapter 11?
9. What sports game takes place in Chapter 12? What is the purpose of the event?
10. What mission is the CA unit assigned in Chapter 10? Where is the mission located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Captain Coles in Sunrise Over Fallujah. What are Private Perry’s first impressions of Coles? How does Coles explain the CA unit’s objectives in Chapter 3?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the internal conflicts that Private Perry encounters after witnessing the death of the Iraqi boy in Chapter 4. How does this event change Private Perry? What does Private Perry write to his uncle regarding the incident?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Civil Affairs unit within the Army and the objectives of the CA unit in the War in Iraq. What objectives does Captain Coles lay out for the CA unit in Chapter 1? How do these objectives change in the course of the novel?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)