|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described in Chapter 6 as “Saddam’s fourth or fifth cousin” that “spoke a little English and was between one hundred and two hundred years old”?
2. What is the name of the song that Jonesy writes about the sandstorm in Chapter 4?
3. After reading the letter from his mother in Chapter 7, Private Perry thinks about how she said he was always what type of individual?
4. Private Perry’s mother says in her letter in Chapter 7 that she saw on television that a white Baptist church where was preparing food and stuff to send to the troops?
5. What is the hometown of Sergeant Robert Harris, as noted in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. To whom does Private Perry write a letter at the end of Chapter 2? What is revealed in the letter?
2. What assignments do the team members receive in Chapter 2?
3. How is the role of the Civil Affairs unit described in Chapter 3?
4. What is related in the letter that comprises the Prologue of the novel?
5. What has made Corporal Victor Rios upset in Chapter 7?
6. What does Private Perry reveal in his letter to Uncle Richie in Chapter 6?
7. For how long is the convoy held back due to the sandstorm in Chapter 4? Where do they go once the storm passes?
8. How is the convoy into Iraq described by Private Perry in Chapter 4?
9. What mission does Private Perry’s team receive in Chapter 6?
10. Where is Perry’s Civil Affairs unit stationed in Chapter 6? Who appears at the meeting here?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Saddam Hussein and the history of Iraq’s military operations prior to the Iraq War. What political, cultural, and religious factions can be seen in Iraq at this time? What is Iraq’s history of warfare with neighboring countries like?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the terrorist attacks that took place in New York and Washington, D.C. on September 11, 2001 and the declaration of war between the United States and Iraq in March of 2003. How many people were killed in the terrorist attacks? What were the objectives of the war in Iraq when it first began? How did the 9/11 attacks influence Private Perry’s decision to join the military?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Private Robin Perry as the narrator and protagonist of the novel. How would you describe Private Perry’s narrative and language style? Do you find this character to be likable upon your initial impressions? How do you relate to the character?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)