|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the letter addressed in the Prologue of the novel?
2. Along what river do the narrator and his squad travel as they head northeast in Chapter 5?
3. Who is the baseball player on the Yankees t-shirt that one of the Iraqi children is wearing in Chapter 5?
4. What does “ROE cards” refer to in Chapter 3?
5. Private Perry’s mother says in her letter in Chapter 7 that something is finally being done with the buildings on what street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characters does Private Perry befriend in Chapter 1? By what nickname is he called?
2. How is the role of the Civil Affairs unit described in Chapter 3?
3. Who is the narrator of the main narrative in the novel? Where has this character arrived in the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. Who acts as translator for the Civil Affairs unit in Chapter 4? What is discovered once the team arrives in An Nasiriyah?
5. Where is Private Perry’s team put up for the night in the end of Chapter 5? Why does Jonesy come to visit Perry in the night?
6. What hopes and fears does Private Perry relate to the reader in the opening of Chapter 3?
7. What mission does Private Perry’s team receive in Chapter 5? What does Private Perry learn during this mission?
8. What leads to the death of the Iraqi boy in Chapter 4? How does Private Perry respond?
9. What does Private Perry question after reading his mother’s letter in Chapter 7?
10. Who brings a television to Private Perry’s tent in Chapter 7? What do the soldiers watch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss first Gulf War (Operation Desert Storm). When did this action take place? Where was the Gulf War fighting centralized? How did the first Gulf War relate to the Iraq War? What is said about this war in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Private Robin Perry as the narrator and protagonist of the novel. How would you describe Private Perry’s narrative and language style? Do you find this character to be likable upon your initial impressions? How do you relate to the character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Civil Affairs unit within the Army and the objectives of the CA unit in the War in Iraq. What objectives does Captain Coles lay out for the CA unit in Chapter 1? How do these objectives change in the course of the novel?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)