|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robin describes Jonesy as a guy in his unit from where in the letter in the Prologue?
2. Who from the Third Squad is described in Chapter 2 as “a really quiet guy… who had worked in a rehabilitation center in civilian life”?
3. Where does the prisoner that the narrator’s squad takes say he learned to speak English in Chapter 5?
4. What phrase used in Chapter 6 refers to the uncertainty in situational awareness experienced by participants in military operations?
5. What is the name of the medic that has a bandage over her head when the narrator’s squad arrives at the makeshift hospital in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Private Perry describe the setting and mission they embark on in Chapter 6?
2. To whom does Private Perry write a letter at the end of Chapter 2? What is revealed in the letter?
3. What does Private Perry say of the speeches made by the officers in Chapter 3?
4. What leads to the death of the Iraqi boy in Chapter 4? How does Private Perry respond?
5. Where is Perry’s Civil Affairs unit stationed in Chapter 6? Who appears at the meeting here?
6. What is related in the letter that comprises the Prologue of the novel?
7. What does Private Perry receive at mail call in Chapter 7?
8. What hopes and fears does Private Perry relate to the reader in the opening of Chapter 3?
9. How is the convoy into Iraq described by Private Perry in Chapter 4?
10. How is the setting of An Nasiriyah described in Chapter 5? Where is the hospital set up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Saddam Hussein and the history of Iraq’s military operations prior to the Iraq War. What political, cultural, and religious factions can be seen in Iraq at this time? What is Iraq’s history of warfare with neighboring countries like?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the internal conflicts that Private Perry encounters after witnessing the death of the Iraqi boy in Chapter 4. How does this event change Private Perry? What does Private Perry write to his uncle regarding the incident?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Captain Coles in Sunrise Over Fallujah. What are Private Perry’s first impressions of Coles? How does Coles explain the CA unit’s objectives in Chapter 3?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)