|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does “WMD” refer to in the novel?
2. What does “MRE” stand for in the narrative?
3. What does the narrator say Marla Kennedy found in one of the outhouses in Chapter 6?
4. The narrator says in Chapter 6 that “the guys from the 3rd ID and the 4th Marines were bopping around Baghdad and getting on television” because they had been present when what was torn down?
5. Where is Corporal Phil Pendleton said to be from in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Private Perry relate to his Uncle Richie via letter in Chapter 5?
2. To whom does Private Perry write a letter at the end of Chapter 2? What is revealed in the letter?
3. What is the main concern of Private Perry and the soldiers as they prepare to enter Iraq in Chapter 3?
4. What mission does Private Perry’s team receive in Chapter 5? What does Private Perry learn during this mission?
5. What does Private Perry question after reading his mother’s letter in Chapter 7?
6. How is the setting of An Nasiriyah described in Chapter 5? Where is the hospital set up?
7. What has made Corporal Victor Rios upset in Chapter 7?
8. What is related in the letter that comprises the Prologue of the novel?
9. How does Private Perry describe the films that the soldiers watch in Chapter 2?
10. Where is Private Perry’s team put up for the night in the end of Chapter 5? Why does Jonesy come to visit Perry in the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the term “fog of war” as used in Chapter 6. What does this phrase mean? How does this apply to the situation at the village school where the CA unit is going? Who first uses this term?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss first Gulf War (Operation Desert Storm). When did this action take place? Where was the Gulf War fighting centralized? How did the first Gulf War relate to the Iraq War? What is said about this war in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the correlations between the author’s novel, Fallen Angels and Sunrise Over Fallujah. What are common themes in these works? What parallels can you see between the Vietnam and Iraq Wars? How are Uncle Richie and Robin Perry similar? How do they differ?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)