|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After reading the letter from his mother in Chapter 7, Private Perry thinks about how she said he was always what type of individual?
2. When Perry’s team arrives at the bombed school in Chapter 6, the troops that are patrolling the area are from where, according to Captain Coles?
3. How old does Captain Coles say he was when he joined the army in Chapter 2?
4. Harris says that he served on tour where in the first Gulf War in Chapter 6?
5. Jonesy tells the narrator in Chapter 3, “Most of my training was about” doing what “when you heard gunfire”?
(a) “Jumping up.”
(b) “Diving down.”
(c) “Calling the cops.”
(d) “Shooting back.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Corporal Eddie Evans say he is from originally in Chapter 1?
2. What is the name of Private Perry’s mother?
3. Who is described in Chapter 6 as “Saddam’s fourth or fifth cousin” that “spoke a little English and was between one hundred and two hundred years old”?
4. Along what river do the narrator and his squad travel as they head northeast in Chapter 5?
5. What is the nickname that Corporal Kennedy calls Private Perry in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. For how long is the convoy held back due to the sandstorm in Chapter 4? Where do they go once the storm passes?
2. What does Private Perry reveal in his letter to Uncle Richie in Chapter 6?
3. What leads to the death of the Iraqi boy in Chapter 4? How does Private Perry respond?
4. How is the setting of An Nasiriyah described in Chapter 5? Where is the hospital set up?
5. Where is Private Perry’s team put up for the night in the end of Chapter 5? Why does Jonesy come to visit Perry in the night?
6. What does Private Perry question after reading his mother’s letter in Chapter 7?
7. What does Private Perry relate to his Uncle Richie via letter in Chapter 5?
8. What is related in the letter that comprises the Prologue of the novel?
9. How is the convoy into Iraq described by Private Perry in Chapter 4?
10. What mission does Private Perry’s team receive in Chapter 6?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)