|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first Gulf War (“Operation Desert Storm”) was waged by a U.N. coalition force of 34 nations against Iraq in response to what?
(a) Iraq’s invasion of Iran.
(b) Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait.
(c) Iraq’s invasion of Libya.
(d) The 9/11 attacks.
2. The letter that Private Perry receives from his mother in Chapter 7 is dated when?
(a) May 1, 2003.
(b) March 16, 2004.
(c) September 15, 2003.
(d) June 4, 2003.
3. What kind of vehicle is the narrator and his squad traveling in as they enter Iraq in Chapter 4?
(a) A Hellcat.
(b) An Armadillo.
(c) A AMX-13 light tank.
(d) A Humvee.
4. How old does Captain Coles say he was when he joined the army in Chapter 2?
5. Private Perry’s mother says in her letter in Chapter 7 that she saw on television that a white Baptist church where was preparing food and stuff to send to the troops?
Short Answer Questions
1. Robin describes Jonesy as a guy in his unit from where in the letter in the Prologue?
2. When Captain Coles tells the narrator that they’re changing direction in Chapter 5, he explains, “The 204th Medical called asking for some help south of” what location?
3. The lines of the song that the narrator thinks of as his squad drives into Iraq are “Check out the real situation / Nation war against nation / When did it all begin? / When will it end?” These lyrics are from a song by whom?
4. What river runs through Baghdad?
5. What is the name of the colonel that enters with Major Sessions at the meeting in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is related in the letter that comprises the Prologue of the novel?
2. What characters does Private Perry befriend in Chapter 1? By what nickname is he called?
3. Who comprises the Second Squad in Chapter 2? Who is on the Third Squad?
4. How is the convoy into Iraq described by Private Perry in Chapter 4?
5. What leads to the death of the Iraqi boy in Chapter 4? How does Private Perry respond?
6. What mission does Private Perry’s team receive in Chapter 5? What does Private Perry learn during this mission?
7. What does Private Perry receive at mail call in Chapter 7?
8. Where is Private Perry’s team put up for the night in the end of Chapter 5? Why does Jonesy come to visit Perry in the night?
9. Where is Perry’s Civil Affairs unit stationed in Chapter 6? Who appears at the meeting here?
10. What hopes and fears does Private Perry relate to the reader in the opening of Chapter 3?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)