|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jonesy describe as a “blues dude” that made a deal with the devil at the crossroads for some guitar licks in Chapter 3?
(a) Berry Blackwater.
(b) Robert Johnson.
(c) Muhammad Latif Al-Sadah.
(d) Nat King Cole.
2. What does Corporal Charlie Jones give as his hometown in Chapter 1?
(a) Tampa, Florida.
(b) Stone Mountain, Georgia.
(c) Dix Hills, New York.
(d) Harlem, New York.
3. The character who introduces herself as Major Spring Sessions says in the opening of Chapter 1, “Gentlemen, ladies, welcome to” what location?
(a) “The land of forgiveness.”
(b) “Doha by the Sea.”
(c) “Aloha by the Sea.”
(d) “Qatar by the Sea.”
4. Who is the baseball player on the Yankees t-shirt that one of the Iraqi children is wearing in Chapter 5?
(a) Johnny Saint.
(b) Jack Slater.
(c) Derek Jeter.
(d) Bobby Fisher.
5. What month is it said to be in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says in Chapter 3, “What we got to do over here is to kill all of them and let God sort them out”?
2. The letter that Private Perry receives from his mother in Chapter 7 is dated when?
3. What does the narrator say Marla Kennedy found in one of the outhouses in Chapter 6?
4. What is the nickname that Corporal Kennedy calls Private Perry in the novel?
5. What is the First Squad painting at the Iraqi military school in the beginning of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Perry’s Civil Affairs unit stationed in Chapter 6? Who appears at the meeting here?
2. What is related in the letter that comprises the Prologue of the novel?
3. How is the setting of An Nasiriyah described in Chapter 5? Where is the hospital set up?
4. What does Private Perry receive at mail call in Chapter 7?
5. How does Private Perry describe the setting and mission they embark on in Chapter 6?
6. What is the main concern of Private Perry and the soldiers as they prepare to enter Iraq in Chapter 3?
7. Who comprises the Second Squad in Chapter 2? Who is on the Third Squad?
8. What hopes and fears does Private Perry relate to the reader in the opening of Chapter 3?
9. What does Private Perry question after reading his mother’s letter in Chapter 7?
10. Who acts as translator for the Civil Affairs unit in Chapter 4? What is discovered once the team arrives in An Nasiriyah?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)