|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The character who introduces herself as Major Spring Sessions says in the opening of Chapter 1, “Gentlemen, ladies, welcome to” what location?
(a) “The land of forgiveness.”
(b) “Qatar by the Sea.”
(c) “Doha by the Sea.”
(d) “Aloha by the Sea.”
2. After reading the letter from his mother in Chapter 7, Private Perry thinks about how she said he was always what type of individual?
3. The lines of the song that the narrator thinks of as his squad drives into Iraq are “Check out the real situation / Nation war against nation / When did it all begin? / When will it end?” These lyrics are from a song by whom?
(a) John Lennon.
(b) Bob Marley.
(c) Jackie Gleason.
(d) Louis Armstrong.
4. In his letter in the Prologue, Robin says he is less than a hundred miles from what country’s border?
5. Who is described as “one of the intelligence guys” that has lost the use of his camera due to the sandstorm in Chapter 4?
(a) Captain Miller.
(b) Colonel King.
(c) Corporal Rios.
(d) Lieutenant Nelson.
6. Who from the Third Squad is described in Chapter 2 as “a really quiet guy… who had worked in a rehabilitation center in civilian life”?
(a) Lieutenant Nelson.
7. The location that Captain Coles tells the narrator they’re going to after changing directions in Chapter 5 is how far northeast from where they are now?
(a) 50 miles.
(b) 10 miles.
(c) 100 miles.
(d) 25 miles.
8. What do “MPs” refer to in the narrative?
(a) Marked Persons.
(b) Masked Persons.
(c) Machine Pumps.
(d) Military Police.
9. What is the First Squad painting at the Iraqi military school in the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) A church.
(b) A Humvee.
(c) A school.
10. Jonesy tells the narrator in Chapter 3, “Most of my training was about” doing what “when you heard gunfire”?
(a) “Shooting back.”
(b) “Jumping up.”
(c) “Calling the cops.”
(d) “Diving down.”
11. The 3rd Infantry Division is generally following what group that enters Iraq first in Chapter 4?
(a) The Political Brigade.
(b) The Special Ops.
(c) The Air Force.
(d) The Marines.
12. What is the name of the medic that has a bandage over her head when the narrator’s squad arrives at the makeshift hospital in Chapter 5?
13. It is discussed between the narrator and his team in Chapter 3 the possibility of a battle between the Sunnis and what other sect?
(a) The Hindus.
(b) The Mevlevi Order.
(c) The Shiites.
(d) The Kurds.
14. In the letter that Private Perry receives from his mother in Chapter 7, she relates that what individual at church didn’t believe Perry was in the army because he was too young?
(a) Sister Watkins.
(b) Sister Jenkins.
(c) Sister Anderson.
(d) Sister Ross.
15. In Chapter 3, the narrator says that the troops just heard a lecture from what individual “who was in charge of all Civil Affairs in the area”?
(a) Lieutenant Nelson.
(b) Muhammad Latif Al-Sadah.
(c) Specialist Darcy.
(d) Colonel King.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river runs through Baghdad?
2. Who comprises the Second Squad when they take off for Iraq in Chapter 3?
3. The narrator says in Chapter 6 that “the guys from the 3rd ID and the 4th Marines were bopping around Baghdad and getting on television” because they had been present when what was torn down?
4. Who does Jonesy describe as a “blues dude” that made a deal with the devil at the crossroads for some guitar licks in Chapter 3?
5. Where does the narrator say Captain Coles had gone on his honeymoon in Chapter 6?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)