|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a temporary camp without tents or cover, used by soldiers?
2. Private Perry’s mother says in her letter in Chapter 7 that she saw on television that a white Baptist church where was preparing food and stuff to send to the troops?
3. Private Perry’s mother says in her letter in Chapter 7 that Perry’s father still thinks he is how old?
4. The first Gulf War (“Operation Desert Storm”) was waged by a U.N. coalition force of 34 nations against Iraq in response to what?
(a) Iraq’s invasion of Libya.
(b) Iraq’s invasion of Iran.
(c) Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait.
(d) The 9/11 attacks.
5. What is the name of Private Perry’s mother?
(a) Sarah Perry.
(b) Martha Perry.
(c) Jackie Perry.
(d) Julie Perry.
6. After reading the letter from his mother in Chapter 7, Private Perry thinks about how she said he was always what type of individual?
7. What is the name of the field interpreter for the narrator’s team in Chapter 2?
(a) Halima Telfah.
(b) Muhammad Latif Al-Sadah.
(c) Lieutenant Nelson.
(d) Ahmed Sabbat.
8. Who is described as “one of the intelligence guys” that has lost the use of his camera due to the sandstorm in Chapter 4?
(a) Corporal Rios.
(b) Colonel King.
(c) Captain Miller.
(d) Lieutenant Nelson.
9. What is the name of the colonel that enters with Major Sessions at the meeting in Chapter 6?
(a) Colonel Miller.
(b) Colonel Smith.
(c) Colonel Lopez.
(d) Colonel Opdyke.
10. When did the first Gulf War (“Operation Desert Storm”) take place?
11. The character who introduces herself as Major Spring Sessions says in the opening of Chapter 1, “Gentlemen, ladies, welcome to” what location?
(a) “Qatar by the Sea.”
(b) “The land of forgiveness.”
(c) “Doha by the Sea.”
(d) “Aloha by the Sea.”
12. What fighting vehicle is described in Chapter 4 as “a big tank-looking affair with a mounted cannon”?
(a) A Water Buffalo.
(b) A Canyoneer.
(c) A Bradley.
(d) A Humvee.
13. What health condition does Private Perry mention his father has and is not watching in Chapter 7?
(a) High blood pressure.
(b) Stomach ulcers.
(d) A heart murmur.
14. What is the name of the medic that has a bandage over her head when the narrator’s squad arrives at the makeshift hospital in Chapter 5?
15. What does “WMD” refer to in the novel?
(a) “War of Mind Destruction.”
(b) “Weapons of Marine Detachment.”
(c) “Weapons of Mass Destruction.”
(d) “War of Material Detonation.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Along what river do the narrator and his squad travel as they head northeast in Chapter 5?
2. Where is Corporal Phil Pendleton said to be from in Chapter 1?
3. What is being used as a makeshift hospital for the wounded Iraqi civilians when the narrator’s squad arrives as backup for the medics in Chapter 5?
4. How old does Jean Darcy say her great-grandmother is in Chapter 3?
5. Harris says that he served on tour where in the first Gulf War in Chapter 6?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)