|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mali falls to Kanty, what is life like in Mema?
2. How does Sundiata's family react to the arrival of the Malian merchants?
3. What do the kings of the nation give to Sundiata when they proclaim him emperor of the land?
4. What are the Malian people only too happy to steal from Soumaoro's reserves when he is out of power?
5. Who does Fassyky claim should pay the price for Soumaoro's evils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All throughout his life, Sundiata was characterized as a boy who forgave trespasses. Create a list of examples of moments when Sundiata chose to forgive those who had wronged him rather than retaliate. How did this shape Sundiata into the graceful leader that he became as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
Soumaoro and Sundiata had an almost lifelong battle with one another, culminating in two memorable battles - one when Sundiata was a boy, and one when he was man. First, explain the battle Sundiata won against Soumaoro when he was a boy, and explain what effect that battle had on Sundiata as he grew. Then, explain the battle Sundiata found himself in with Soumaoro as an adult. How did the childhood battle prepare Sundiata for the rematch in his adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
When the story opens, Djeli Mamoudou Koutate is introduced to the readers as a local griot. Briefly describe the role griots play in African culture and then compare / contrast the role griots played during Sundiata's time with their role in the culture today. How does the use of a griot in Sundiata's tale affect the way it is expressed to the reader?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)