|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the adult Sundiata spend most of his days in Mali?
2. Aside from Nana Triban, who is the only other person who understands the dangers in Soumaoro's chambers?
3. Which town is also knows as "the land of Sogolon?"
4. Who does Fassyky claim should pay the price for Soumaoro's evils?
5. Which old friend does Sundiata stop to pick up before meeting with Soumaoro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All throughout his life, Sundiata was characterized as a boy who forgave trespasses. Create a list of examples of moments when Sundiata chose to forgive those who had wronged him rather than retaliate. How did this shape Sundiata into the graceful leader that he became as an adult?
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy is one of the most focused on themes of "Sundiata" and there are many lessons to learn on this topic. Briefly describe two characters in the book who are jealous of Sundiata. How do these characters express their jealousy? At the end of the book, how are the jealous actions of these two characters rewarded or punished? What lesson is there to be learned about jealousy through the characters of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Sundiata's parents, Sogolon and King Maghan Fatta, had an unusual courtship and relationship. Explain how Sundiata's parents came to be married. Then, create a time line of events that both drew the couple together and tore them apart. Finally, explain how King Maghan Fatta felt about his second wife at the time of his death, and why.
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)