|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men is Sundiata rumored to be able to fell with one swing of his sword?
2. What is the name of Soumaoro's nephew who joins in Sundiata's army?
3. Why did the kings of Mali respect Sundiata when he was a boy?
4. What does the griot claim is the only think left of Sundiata's reign in present-day Mali?
5. How did Nana Triban gain access into Soumaoro's sorcery chambers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sundiata's father was young, he had his fortune read by a passing hunter. Explain what the fortune read, and why the king's men did not want to believe it. Finally, explain how the fortune teller irrevocably altered the path King Maghan's life was taking.
Essay Topic 2
The role of fate plays a large part in Sundiata's rise to power. Explain why the people believed it was Sundiata's fate to rule Mali, and briefly explain three obstacles that stood in the way of Sundiata reaching the fate that had been laid out for him.
Essay Topic 3
When Sundiata finally rises to power in Mali, he makes many changes on the land. Describe what the African nation was like for its inhabitants during Soumaoro's rule, and what changes Sundiata made to the nation as soon as he rose to power. Then, explain how the effects of Sundiata's rule can still be seen in present day Mali.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)