|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nana Triban's mother?
2. How many men is Sundiata rumored to be able to fell with one swing of his sword?
3. How did Nana Triban gain access into Soumaoro's sorcery chambers?
4. What does Sundiata plan to do when he finds Dankaran?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Sundiata attempts to give to Tounkara as payment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Sundiata" is expressed to the reader through the use of oral history and translation. Briefly explain why each of these methods--oral history and translation--was necessarily in the completion of this tale. Then, explain what facts were most important in the oral histories of the time, and how you saw those themes expressed in "Sundiata."
Essay Topic 2
The role of fate plays a large part in Sundiata's rise to power. Explain why the people believed it was Sundiata's fate to rule Mali, and briefly explain three obstacles that stood in the way of Sundiata reaching the fate that had been laid out for him.
Essay Topic 3
All throughout his life, Sundiata was characterized as a boy who forgave trespasses. Create a list of examples of moments when Sundiata chose to forgive those who had wronged him rather than retaliate. How did this shape Sundiata into the graceful leader that he became as an adult?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)