|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in the text does Fassyky compare to the land where he spent his chilldood?
2. What does Sundiata plan to do when he finds Dankaran?
3. Which old friend does Sundiata stop to pick up before meeting with Soumaoro?
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes the life Sundiata's friends have led since the fall of Mali?
5. How soon after the arrival of the merchants does Sogolon die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sundiata finally rises to power in Mali, he makes many changes on the land. Describe what the African nation was like for its inhabitants during Soumaoro's rule, and what changes Sundiata made to the nation as soon as he rose to power. Then, explain how the effects of Sundiata's rule can still be seen in present day Mali.
Essay Topic 2
Although Sundiata had many siblings, there were three who had the largest impact on his life - Nana Triban, Manding Bory, and Dankaran. Breifly describe each of Sundiata's three siblings, and explain how each sibling irrevocably altered Sundiata's life, either for better or worse.
Essay Topic 3
The battle scenes of the book are particularly vivid as the griot remembers every detail of Sundiata's successes. Choose one memorable battle scene in the book and recount it. Then, explain how the selective memory of the griot transforms the battle scenes from fact to legend.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)