|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Sundiata travels toward Soumaoro, what do the cities he passes through give to him?
2. How does the adult Sundiata spend most of his days in Mali?
3. When Sundiata prays to his gods, what does he ask them for?
4. Who updates the reader on lives of Sundiata's friends?
5. Who does Fassyky claim should pay the price for Soumaoro's evils?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Buffalo woman plays a large role in bringing together Sundiata's parents. Explain what the Buffalo Woman symbolized in Do, and how her destructive actions eventually led to the unification of Maghan and Sogolon.
Essay Topic 2
When the story opens, Djeli Mamoudou Koutate is introduced to the readers as a local griot. Briefly describe the role griots play in African culture and then compare / contrast the role griots played during Sundiata's time with their role in the culture today. How does the use of a griot in Sundiata's tale affect the way it is expressed to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
The role of fate plays a large part in Sundiata's rise to power. Explain why the people believed it was Sundiata's fate to rule Mali, and briefly explain three obstacles that stood in the way of Sundiata reaching the fate that had been laid out for him.
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)