|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why isn't Sundiata able to kill Soumaoro on his first attempt?
2. Who updates the reader on lives of Sundiata's friends?
3. How soon after the arrival of the merchants does Sogolon die?
4. What animal does Sundiata sacrifice in memory of the old buffalo woman?
5. What are the Malian people only too happy to steal from Soumaoro's reserves when he is out of power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sundiata's father was young, he had his fortune read by a passing hunter. Explain what the fortune read, and why the king's men did not want to believe it. Finally, explain how the fortune teller irrevocably altered the path King Maghan's life was taking.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, sorcery plays a large role in belief system of the Malian people. Give examples of two characters who believed in the power of sorcery, and explain how they exhibited their beliefs. Then, explain how sorcery affected the battles for Mali in either a positive or negative manor.
Essay Topic 3
When Sundiata finally rises to power in Mali, he makes many changes on the land. Describe what the African nation was like for its inhabitants during Soumaoro's rule, and what changes Sundiata made to the nation as soon as he rose to power. Then, explain how the effects of Sundiata's rule can still be seen in present day Mali.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)