|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fassyky's first name?
2. At the party, what history does Fassyky speak about to encourage the troops?
3. What is the name of Soumaoro's nephew who joins in Sundiata's army?
4. Why isn't Sundiata able to kill Soumaoro on his first attempt?
5. What part of Sundiata's body begins to glow after he drinks from a magical stream of water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though it had been his lifelong ambition to overthrow Soumaoro, Sundiata leaves the disgraced sorcerer to finish off his days hiding in a cave. Create a time line of events for the changing relationship between Sundiata and Soumaoro. Then, explain how the legacy of Sundiata is altered by his decision to have mercy on Soumaoro and let him live.
Essay Topic 2
"Sundiata" is expressed to the reader through the use of oral history and translation. Briefly explain why each of these methods--oral history and translation--was necessarily in the completion of this tale. Then, explain what facts were most important in the oral histories of the time, and how you saw those themes expressed in "Sundiata."
Essay Topic 3
When Sundiata was born, he was given two formal names and one very important nickname. Briefly explain where each of Sundiata's three names came from, and what part of his personality each name represented. Finally, explain whether or not you think Sundiata's name were a good fit for him, and why.
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)