|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people of Mali feel about Sundiata returning to the land?
2. What does the griot claim is the only think left of Sundiata's reign in present-day Mali?
3. What is the name of the city where Sundiata meets with the nations to discuss their empire?
4. What color is the bird Soumaoro sees and knows that he is doomed?
5. Who first spots the Malian merchants in Mema?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances throughout the text when the king is advised not to judge a person by their appearance. First, explain what the relationship between King Maghan and his advisers was, and give three examples of people the king first judged for being weak. If the king had not changed his opinion of these "weak" people, how would the storyline of the book be different?
Essay Topic 2
Sundiata goes through a significant change during the time he is a teenager. Briefly describe what Sundiata was like as a child, and compare / contrast that to what he was like as an adult. What small event proved to be the turning point in Sundiata's first rise to power?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy is one of the most focused on themes of "Sundiata" and there are many lessons to learn on this topic. Briefly describe two characters in the book who are jealous of Sundiata. How do these characters express their jealousy? At the end of the book, how are the jealous actions of these two characters rewarded or punished? What lesson is there to be learned about jealousy through the characters of the book?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)