|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aside from Nana Triban, who is the only other person who understands the dangers in Soumaoro's chambers?
2. How does Sundiata's family react to the arrival of the Malian merchants?
3. Which of the following is NOT part of the celebration of nations that ensues after Sundiata is named emperor?
4. How do the merchants greet Sundiata?
5. How much of his army does Tounkara give to Sundiata when he leaves Mema?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances throughout the text when the king is advised not to judge a person by their appearance. First, explain what the relationship between King Maghan and his advisers was, and give three examples of people the king first judged for being weak. If the king had not changed his opinion of these "weak" people, how would the storyline of the book be different?
Essay Topic 2
"Sundiata" is often heralded as changing the face of heroism. Describe what it means to be a hero in Sundiata's day, and what Sundiata did to fulfill this role for his people. Finally, explain whether or not you agree with the assertion that Sundiata is not a typical hero, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Soumaoro and Sundiata had an almost lifelong battle with one another, culminating in two memorable battles - one when Sundiata was a boy, and one when he was man. First, explain the battle Sundiata won against Soumaoro when he was a boy, and explain what effect that battle had on Sundiata as he grew. Then, explain the battle Sundiata found himself in with Soumaoro as an adult. How did the childhood battle prepare Sundiata for the rematch in his adulthood?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)