|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is Sundiata traveling toward in order to battle with Soumaoro?
2. Who updates the reader on lives of Sundiata's friends?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Sogolon's physical condition when her children are full-grown?
4. What is Fassyky's first name?
5. How do Tounkara's men feel about joining up with Sundiata's army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sundiata had two main women in his life to act as mothers to him - Sogolon and Sassouma. Briefly describe each of these women, and then compare / contrast their mothering techniques with young Sundiata. Then, explain what effect each of these women had on Sundiata as he matured into adulthood.
Essay Topic 2
Soumaoro and Sundiata had an almost lifelong battle with one another, culminating in two memorable battles - one when Sundiata was a boy, and one when he was man. First, explain the battle Sundiata won against Soumaoro when he was a boy, and explain what effect that battle had on Sundiata as he grew. Then, explain the battle Sundiata found himself in with Soumaoro as an adult. How did the childhood battle prepare Sundiata for the rematch in his adulthood?
Essay Topic 3
"Sundiata" is often heralded as changing the face of heroism. Describe what it means to be a hero in Sundiata's day, and what Sundiata did to fulfill this role for his people. Finally, explain whether or not you agree with the assertion that Sundiata is not a typical hero, and why.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)