|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first spots the Malian merchants in Mema?
2. After Mali falls to Kanty, what is life like in Mema?
3. How do Tounkara's men feel about joining up with Sundiata's army?
4. Which of the following is NOT part of the celebration of nations that ensues after Sundiata is named emperor?
5. What city is Sundiata traveling toward in order to battle with Soumaoro?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sundiata's father was young, he had his fortune read by a passing hunter. Explain what the fortune read, and why the king's men did not want to believe it. Finally, explain how the fortune teller irrevocably altered the path King Maghan's life was taking.
Essay Topic 2
When the story opens, Djeli Mamoudou Koutate is introduced to the readers as a local griot. Briefly describe the role griots play in African culture and then compare / contrast the role griots played during Sundiata's time with their role in the culture today. How does the use of a griot in Sundiata's tale affect the way it is expressed to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Sundiata goes through a significant change during the time he is a teenager. Briefly describe what Sundiata was like as a child, and compare / contrast that to what he was like as an adult. What small event proved to be the turning point in Sundiata's first rise to power?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)