|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the party, what history does Fassyky speak about to encourage the troops?
2. How does Sundiata's family react to the arrival of the Malian merchants?
3. What is the name of the city where Sundiata and Soumaoro agree to meet and battle?
4. What does Sundiata promise to do to Mali when he returns?
5. What is Fassyky's first name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances throughout the text when the king is advised not to judge a person by their appearance. First, explain what the relationship between King Maghan and his advisers was, and give three examples of people the king first judged for being weak. If the king had not changed his opinion of these "weak" people, how would the storyline of the book be different?
Essay Topic 2
The role of fate plays a large part in Sundiata's rise to power. Explain why the people believed it was Sundiata's fate to rule Mali, and briefly explain three obstacles that stood in the way of Sundiata reaching the fate that had been laid out for him.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the text, sorcery plays a large role in belief system of the Malian people. Give examples of two characters who believed in the power of sorcery, and explain how they exhibited their beliefs. Then, explain how sorcery affected the battles for Mali in either a positive or negative manor.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)