|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sundiata dress as before he begins his battle?
2. What is the name of the city where Sundiata meets with the nations to discuss their empire?
3. Who is Siara Kouman Konaty?
4. What city is Sundiata traveling toward in order to battle with Soumaoro?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes Sogolon's physical condition when her children are full-grown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the story opens, Djeli Mamoudou Koutate is introduced to the readers as a local griot. Briefly describe the role griots play in African culture and then compare / contrast the role griots played during Sundiata's time with their role in the culture today. How does the use of a griot in Sundiata's tale affect the way it is expressed to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Even though it had been his lifelong ambition to overthrow Soumaoro, Sundiata leaves the disgraced sorcerer to finish off his days hiding in a cave. Create a time line of events for the changing relationship between Sundiata and Soumaoro. Then, explain how the legacy of Sundiata is altered by his decision to have mercy on Soumaoro and let him live.
Essay Topic 3
The Buffalo woman plays a large role in bringing together Sundiata's parents. Explain what the Buffalo Woman symbolized in Do, and how her destructive actions eventually led to the unification of Maghan and Sogolon.
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)