|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Sassouma decide to wait until she finishes her plot against Sogolon?
2. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
3. Why does Sogolon believe Djata does not speak with other children?
4. How does Sassouma feel about young Djata and the fact that he is seemingly slow?
5. What animal is terrorizing the land of Do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
2. What confession does Nana Triban make to Sundiata when they are reunited?
3. How does the reader receive the information about Sundiata's friends and their lives after the fall of Mali?
4. What is a griot?
5. According to the griot, what parts of Sundiata's legacy are still standing in present-day Mali?
6. How does Sundiata's life change as he matures into a full-grown man in Mema?
7. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
8. What causes Fakoli to turn against his uncle, Kanty?
9. What happens when the king loses hope that Djata will grow to be a great king?
10. Why are the griots considered "vessels of the past?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances throughout the text when the king is advised not to judge a person by their appearance. First, explain what the relationship between King Maghan and his advisers was, and give three examples of people the king first judged for being weak. If the king had not changed his opinion of these "weak" people, how would the storyline of the book be different?
Essay Topic 2
Sundiata goes through a significant change during the time he is a teenager. Briefly describe what Sundiata was like as a child, and compare / contrast that to what he was like as an adult. What small event proved to be the turning point in Sundiata's first rise to power?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the text, sorcery plays a large role in belief system of the Malian people. Give examples of two characters who believed in the power of sorcery, and explain how they exhibited their beliefs. Then, explain how sorcery affected the battles for Mali in either a positive or negative manor.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)