|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Kanty related to Fakoli?
2. How does Sassouma feel about young Djata and the fact that he is seemingly slow?
3. How does Fakoli react to Kanty's theft?
4. Griots are considered "vessels of _____ ."
5. On which topic do Sundiata's ancestors seek advise from the heavens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sogolon presented as a gift to the king?
2. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
3. Why do the people of Mali flood to Soumaoro's old land, and what do they steal from his store houses?
4. How does Sassouma treat Sologon once Dankaran rises to power?
5. What confession does Nana Triban make to Sundiata when they are reunited?
6. How does Sundiata treat the people of Sosso when he arrives there?
7. How does Sundiata strip Soumaoro of his magical powers?
8. What happens that causes the usually patient Sologon to beat Djata?
9. How does Sassouma try to convince the nine witches to kill Sundiata?
10. How have Sundiata's friends been living since the fall of Mali?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Sundiata had many siblings, there were three who had the largest impact on his life - Nana Triban, Manding Bory, and Dankaran. Breifly describe each of Sundiata's three siblings, and explain how each sibling irrevocably altered Sundiata's life, either for better or worse.
Essay Topic 2
Sundiata's parents, Sogolon and King Maghan Fatta, had an unusual courtship and relationship. Explain how Sundiata's parents came to be married. Then, create a time line of events that both drew the couple together and tore them apart. Finally, explain how King Maghan Fatta felt about his second wife at the time of his death, and why.
Essay Topic 3
"Sundiata" is often heralded as changing the face of heroism. Describe what it means to be a hero in Sundiata's day, and what Sundiata did to fulfill this role for his people. Finally, explain whether or not you agree with the assertion that Sundiata is not a typical hero, and why.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)