|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following groups of people claimed to know all along that Sundiata would rise up and walk?
2. Who does Sassouma consult with to help in her plot against Sogolon?
3. What animal is terrorizing the land of Do?
4. Which of the following is NOT something that Fassyky discovers in Kanty's sorcery chamber?
5. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the king respond to the hunter who makes him an offering?
2. When Sundiata travels to Niani, what differences does he note in the land now that he has come to power?
3. How do the Malian people feel about a heavenly God?
4. What unusual event takes place at the new baby's naming ceremony?
5. How does Sundiata treat the people of Sosso when he arrives there?
6. How were Nana Triban and Sundiata reunited?
7. Why does Fassyky ask for a private conference with Fran Kamara upon returning to Mali?
8. How well did Sundiata's ancestors know the land they were raised in, and how can you tell?
9. How does Kanty react when he finds that Fassyky has broken in to his chambers?
10. What causes Fakoli to turn against his uncle, Kanty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The battle scenes of the book are particularly vivid as the griot remembers every detail of Sundiata's successes. Choose one memorable battle scene in the book and recount it. Then, explain how the selective memory of the griot transforms the battle scenes from fact to legend.
Essay Topic 2
When Sundiata's father was young, he had his fortune read by a passing hunter. Explain what the fortune read, and why the king's men did not want to believe it. Finally, explain how the fortune teller irrevocably altered the path King Maghan's life was taking.
Essay Topic 3
Sundiata's parents, Sogolon and King Maghan Fatta, had an unusual courtship and relationship. Explain how Sundiata's parents came to be married. Then, create a time line of events that both drew the couple together and tore them apart. Finally, explain how King Maghan Fatta felt about his second wife at the time of his death, and why.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)