Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical attribute does the hunter have which prompts the king's men to think he is evil?
2. Griots are considered "vessels of _____ ."
3. What appears in the sky at the moment that Sagolon's baby is born?
4. What animal is terrorizing the land of Do?
5. Which group of African people is focused on in Sundiata's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a griot?
2. How are the Malian merchants discovered in Mema, and what is the reaction to their arrival?
3. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
4. How do the Malian people feel about a heavenly God?
5. How does Sundiata react to the reunification with Nana Triban, and what steps does he take to bring the land of Mali back together?
6. What happens when Sundiata visits a spiritual river and prays there?
7. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
8. What happens when Mali wages war against Kanty?
9. Why does Sundiata go into exile?
10. What happens during Sundiata's first battle against Soumaoro?
When Sundiata's father was young, he had his fortune read by a passing hunter. Explain what the fortune read, and why the king's men did not want to believe it. Finally, explain how the fortune teller irrevocably altered the path King Maghan's life was taking.
The role of fate plays a large part in Sundiata's rise to power. Explain why the people believed it was Sundiata's fate to rule Mali, and briefly explain three obstacles that stood in the way of Sundiata reaching the fate that had been laid out for him.
The Buffalo woman plays a large role in bringing together Sundiata's parents. Explain what the Buffalo Woman symbolized in Do, and how her destructive actions eventually led to the unification of Maghan and Sogolon.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)