|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sassouma feel about young Djata and the fact that he is seemingly slow?
2. How long does Sundiata wander in the desert before settling in Djedeba?
3. From what land is the hunter from?
4. To which family member is young Djata most attached?
5. In what country is Sundiata named heir to a childless king?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sundiata strip Soumaoro of his magical powers?
2. How do the people of Mali react to the news that Sundiata has arrived to return the land to them?
3. What happens during Sundiata's first battle against Soumaoro?
4. What changes does Sundiata make in the African nation after he is appointed emperor?
5. Why are the griots considered "vessels of the past?"
6. What happens when Mali wages war against Kanty?
7. How is Djata described when the audiences sees him again at the age of three?
8. What unusual event takes place at the new baby's naming ceremony?
9. How were Nana Triban and Sundiata reunited?
10. When Sundiata travels to Niani, what differences does he note in the land now that he has come to power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the text, sorcery plays a large role in belief system of the Malian people. Give examples of two characters who believed in the power of sorcery, and explain how they exhibited their beliefs. Then, explain how sorcery affected the battles for Mali in either a positive or negative manor.
Essay Topic 2
When Sundiata finally rises to power in Mali, he makes many changes on the land. Describe what the African nation was like for its inhabitants during Soumaoro's rule, and what changes Sundiata made to the nation as soon as he rose to power. Then, explain how the effects of Sundiata's rule can still be seen in present day Mali.
Essay Topic 3
Sundiata's parents, Sogolon and King Maghan Fatta, had an unusual courtship and relationship. Explain how Sundiata's parents came to be married. Then, create a time line of events that both drew the couple together and tore them apart. Finally, explain how King Maghan Fatta felt about his second wife at the time of his death, and why.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)