|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is named heir to the throne once the king dies?
2. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
3. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
4. Which of the following actions is Djata most often seen doing by the villagers?
5. To which family member is young Djata most attached?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the griots considered "vessels of the past?"
2. What happens when the warriors meet a starving, old woman in Do?
3. How does Sundiata's life change as he matures into a full-grown man in Mema?
4. Why does Fassyky ask for a private conference with Fran Kamara upon returning to Mali?
5. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
6. How does Sundiata treat the people of Sosso when he arrives there?
7. What demands does Kanty make of the African nations, and what is Dankaran's response?
8. What causes Fakoli to turn against his uncle, Kanty?
9. How do the Malian people feel about a heavenly God?
10. How does Kanty react when he finds that Fassyky has broken in to his chambers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is one of the most focused on themes of "Sundiata" and there are many lessons to learn on this topic. Briefly describe two characters in the book who are jealous of Sundiata. How do these characters express their jealousy? At the end of the book, how are the jealous actions of these two characters rewarded or punished? What lesson is there to be learned about jealousy through the characters of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Even though it had been his lifelong ambition to overthrow Soumaoro, Sundiata leaves the disgraced sorcerer to finish off his days hiding in a cave. Create a time line of events for the changing relationship between Sundiata and Soumaoro. Then, explain how the legacy of Sundiata is altered by his decision to have mercy on Soumaoro and let him live.
Essay Topic 3
Sundiata goes through a significant change during the time he is a teenager. Briefly describe what Sundiata was like as a child, and compare / contrast that to what he was like as an adult. What small event proved to be the turning point in Sundiata's first rise to power?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)