|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sundiata visits Ghana, what does he realize about the people who live there?
2. What appears in the sky at the moment that Sagolon's baby is born?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Kanty?
4. What physical deformity does the hunter tell the king his future wife should have?
5. What does Sassouma plot to do to Sogolon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Manding Bory, and what role does he play in Sundiata'slife?
2. How does Sundiata strip Soumaoro of his magical powers?
3. What happens when the warriors meet a starving, old woman in Do?
4. How does Kanty react when he finds that Fassyky has broken in to his chambers?
5. What demands does Kanty make of the African nations, and what is Dankaran's response?
6. Who is Sassouma, and how does she react to Sogolon?
7. How does Sundiata react to the reunification with Nana Triban, and what steps does he take to bring the land of Mali back together?
8. Why is Sogolon presented as a gift to the king?
9. How does the reader receive the information about Sundiata's friends and their lives after the fall of Mali?
10. What one complaint does the griot have at the close of the book about modern day audiences in response to Sundiata's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of fate plays a large part in Sundiata's rise to power. Explain why the people believed it was Sundiata's fate to rule Mali, and briefly explain three obstacles that stood in the way of Sundiata reaching the fate that had been laid out for him.
Essay Topic 2
Even though it had been his lifelong ambition to overthrow Soumaoro, Sundiata leaves the disgraced sorcerer to finish off his days hiding in a cave. Create a time line of events for the changing relationship between Sundiata and Soumaoro. Then, explain how the legacy of Sundiata is altered by his decision to have mercy on Soumaoro and let him live.
Essay Topic 3
There are many men who pass through power in Mali. Create a list of kings that took power on the pages of Sundiata, and briefly explain how each of these kings affected the relationship Malian people had with their government.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)