|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following types of poems is the genre which "Sundiata" belongs to?
2. What skill does Fassyky teach Sundiata to do?
3. How old is young Djata when the reader first sees him again after his birth?
4. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has gone into labor?
5. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has given birth to an ugly daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the leaders of the twelve nations meet with Sundiata in Ka-ba?
2. What happens when the warriors meet a starving, old woman in Do?
3. Why does Sassouma meet with the sorcerers in the village after Sogolon's arrival?
4. What happens when Sundiata outwits Konkon, the king of Djedeba?
5. What is a griot?
6. How do the people of Mali react to the news that Sundiata has arrived to return the land to them?
7. When Sundiata travels to Niani, what differences does he note in the land now that he has come to power?
8. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
9. How does Sundiata's life change as he matures into a full-grown man in Mema?
10. What changes does Sundiata make in the African nation after he is appointed emperor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The battle scenes of the book are particularly vivid as the griot remembers every detail of Sundiata's successes. Choose one memorable battle scene in the book and recount it. Then, explain how the selective memory of the griot transforms the battle scenes from fact to legend.
Essay Topic 2
Even though it had been his lifelong ambition to overthrow Soumaoro, Sundiata leaves the disgraced sorcerer to finish off his days hiding in a cave. Create a time line of events for the changing relationship between Sundiata and Soumaoro. Then, explain how the legacy of Sundiata is altered by his decision to have mercy on Soumaoro and let him live.
Essay Topic 3
There are many men who pass through power in Mali. Create a list of kings that took power on the pages of Sundiata, and briefly explain how each of these kings affected the relationship Malian people had with their government.
This section contains 1,829 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)