|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sassouma force Sologon to live after the king dies?
2. Where does Kouyaty begin his story of Sundiata?
3. What weapon does Sundiata use to dual with Konkon?
4. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
5. How many witches does Sassouma hire to kill Sundiata?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Fakoli to turn against his uncle, Kanty?
2. How do the Malian people feel about a heavenly God?
3. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
4. Who is Sassouma, and how does she react to Sogolon?
5. Who were the early kings of Mali?
6. How is Djata described when the audiences sees him again at the age of three?
7. What is the reaction when Sogolon goes into labor?
8. What one complaint does the griot have at the close of the book about modern day audiences in response to Sundiata's story?
9. Why do the people of Mali flood to Soumaoro's old land, and what do they steal from his store houses?
10. How does Sundiata treat the people of Sosso when he arrives there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of fate plays a large part in Sundiata's rise to power. Explain why the people believed it was Sundiata's fate to rule Mali, and briefly explain three obstacles that stood in the way of Sundiata reaching the fate that had been laid out for him.
Essay Topic 2
When Sundiata was born, he was given two formal names and one very important nickname. Briefly explain where each of Sundiata's three names came from, and what part of his personality each name represented. Finally, explain whether or not you think Sundiata's name were a good fit for him, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Even though it had been his lifelong ambition to overthrow Soumaoro, Sundiata leaves the disgraced sorcerer to finish off his days hiding in a cave. Create a time line of events for the changing relationship between Sundiata and Soumaoro. Then, explain how the legacy of Sundiata is altered by his decision to have mercy on Soumaoro and let him live.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)