|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the room respond when Fassyky plays Kanty's magical musical instrument?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT enter exile with Sundiata?
3. Which of the following is NOT something that Fassyky discovers in Kanty's sorcery chamber?
4. Which of the following ailments affects Sundiata?
5. Who does Sassouma consult with to help in her plot against Sogolon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sundiata react to the reunification with Nana Triban, and what steps does he take to bring the land of Mali back together?
2. Who is Manding Bory, and what role does he play in Sundiata'slife?
3. Why are the griots considered "vessels of the past?"
4. How are the Malian merchants discovered in Mema, and what is the reaction to their arrival?
5. How does Sassouma try to convince the nine witches to kill Sundiata?
6. What demands does Kanty make of the African nations, and what is Dankaran's response?
7. What changes does Sundiata make in the African nation after he is appointed emperor?
8. Why does Sundiata go into exile?
9. How does the reader receive the information about Sundiata's friends and their lives after the fall of Mali?
10. Who is Soumaoro Kanty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Buffalo woman plays a large role in bringing together Sundiata's parents. Explain what the Buffalo Woman symbolized in Do, and how her destructive actions eventually led to the unification of Maghan and Sogolon.
Essay Topic 2
"Sundiata" is often heralded as changing the face of heroism. Describe what it means to be a hero in Sundiata's day, and what Sundiata did to fulfill this role for his people. Finally, explain whether or not you agree with the assertion that Sundiata is not a typical hero, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Even though it had been his lifelong ambition to overthrow Soumaoro, Sundiata leaves the disgraced sorcerer to finish off his days hiding in a cave. Create a time line of events for the changing relationship between Sundiata and Soumaoro. Then, explain how the legacy of Sundiata is altered by his decision to have mercy on Soumaoro and let him live.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)