|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the king's first wife?
2. How does Kanty treat men who disagree with him?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Kanty?
4. How old is young Djata when the reader first sees him again after his birth?
5. When Sundiata visits Ghana, what does he realize about the people who live there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people of Mali flood to Soumaoro's old land, and what do they steal from his store houses?
2. How does Kanty react when he finds that Fassyky has broken in to his chambers?
3. How are Sundiata's troops entertained on the evening before the battle of Krishna?
4. How do the people of Mali react to the news that Sundiata has arrived to return the land to them?
5. What changes does Sundiata make in the African nation after he is appointed emperor?
6. Why does Sundiata threaten the king of Mema, Tounkara?
7. Why is Sogolon presented as a gift to the king?
8. What does Fassyky find in Kanty's sorcery chambers?
9. What unusual event takes place at the new baby's naming ceremony?
10. Why does Sundiata go into exile?
Essay Topic 1
The battle scenes of the book are particularly vivid as the griot remembers every detail of Sundiata's successes. Choose one memorable battle scene in the book and recount it. Then, explain how the selective memory of the griot transforms the battle scenes from fact to legend.
Essay Topic 2
There are many men who pass through power in Mali. Create a list of kings that took power on the pages of Sundiata, and briefly explain how each of these kings affected the relationship Malian people had with their government.
Essay Topic 3
Soumaoro and Sundiata had an almost lifelong battle with one another, culminating in two memorable battles - one when Sundiata was a boy, and one when he was man. First, explain the battle Sundiata won against Soumaoro when he was a boy, and explain what effect that battle had on Sundiata as he grew. Then, explain the battle Sundiata found himself in with Soumaoro as an adult. How did the childhood battle prepare Sundiata for the rematch in his adulthood?
This section contains 1,833 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)