Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical attribute does the hunter have which prompts the king's men to think he is evil?
2. Griots are considered "vessels of _____ ."
3. What appears in the sky at the moment that Sagolon's baby is born?
4. What animal is terrorizing the land of Do?
5. Which group of African people is focused on in Sundiata's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a griot?
2. How are the Malian merchants discovered in Mema, and what is the reaction to their arrival?
3. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
4. How do the Malian people feel about a heavenly God?
5. How does Sundiata react to the reunification with Nana Triban, and what steps does he take to bring the land of Mali back together?
6. What happens when Sundiata visits a spiritual river and prays there?
7. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
8. What happens when Mali wages war against Kanty?
9. Why does Sundiata go into exile?
10. What happens during Sundiata's first battle against Soumaoro?
Essay Topic 1
When Sundiata's father was young, he had his fortune read by a passing hunter. Explain what the fortune read, and why the king's men did not want to believe it. Finally, explain how the fortune teller irrevocably altered the path King Maghan's life was taking.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, sorcery plays a large role in belief system of the Malian people. Give examples of two characters who believed in the power of sorcery, and explain how they exhibited their beliefs. Then, explain how sorcery affected the battles for Mali in either a positive or negative manor.
Essay Topic 3
There are many men who pass through power in Mali. Create a list of kings that took power on the pages of Sundiata, and briefly explain how each of these kings affected the relationship Malian people had with their government.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)