|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is forced into Kanty's employment?
2. Out of what metal does Sundiata ask the blacksmiths to make his walking rod?
3. Why do ancient African kings want griots?
4. Who do the Malian people believe can become king one day?
5. What do the Malian people believe is the most definitive characteristic of the heavenly God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Djata described when the audiences sees him again at the age of three?
2. Why do the people of Mali flood to Soumaoro's old land, and what do they steal from his store houses?
3. What happens when Mali wages war against Kanty?
4. How does Kanty react when he finds that Fassyky has broken in to his chambers?
5. Why is Sogolon presented as a gift to the king?
6. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
7. What happens when the leaders of the twelve nations meet with Sundiata in Ka-ba?
8. What happens that causes the usually patient Sologon to beat Djata?
9. What causes Fakoli to turn against his uncle, Kanty?
10. How does Sundiata strip Soumaoro of his magical powers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sundiata's parents, Sogolon and King Maghan Fatta, had an unusual courtship and relationship. Explain how Sundiata's parents came to be married. Then, create a time line of events that both drew the couple together and tore them apart. Finally, explain how King Maghan Fatta felt about his second wife at the time of his death, and why.
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances throughout the text when the king is advised not to judge a person by their appearance. First, explain what the relationship between King Maghan and his advisers was, and give three examples of people the king first judged for being weak. If the king had not changed his opinion of these "weak" people, how would the storyline of the book be different?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the text, sorcery plays a large role in belief system of the Malian people. Give examples of two characters who believed in the power of sorcery, and explain how they exhibited their beliefs. Then, explain how sorcery affected the battles for Mali in either a positive or negative manor.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)