|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is young Djata when the reader first sees him again after his birth?
2. Who falls ill, causing king Soumaba to relocate the family to a river country?
3. How long does Sassouma decide to wait until she finishes her plot against Sogolon?
4. Who do the Malian people believe should be the true king of Mali?
5. Who is Fran Kamara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confession does Nana Triban make to Sundiata when they are reunited?
2. When Sundiata travels to Niani, what differences does he note in the land now that he has come to power?
3. How does Sundiata's life change as he matures into a full-grown man in Mema?
4. What happens when Mali wages war against Kanty?
5. How do Soumaoro and Sundiata communicate before the battle of Krina?
6. What happens when Sundiata visits a spiritual river and prays there?
7. Why is Sogolon presented as a gift to the king?
8. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
9. Who is Sassouma, and how does she react to Sogolon?
10. Why do the people of Mali flood to Soumaoro's old land, and what do they steal from his store houses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the story opens, Djeli Mamoudou Koutate is introduced to the readers as a local griot. Briefly describe the role griots play in African culture and then compare / contrast the role griots played during Sundiata's time with their role in the culture today. How does the use of a griot in Sundiata's tale affect the way it is expressed to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
When Sundiata was born, he was given two formal names and one very important nickname. Briefly explain where each of Sundiata's three names came from, and what part of his personality each name represented. Finally, explain whether or not you think Sundiata's name were a good fit for him, and why.
Essay Topic 3
The Buffalo woman plays a large role in bringing together Sundiata's parents. Explain what the Buffalo Woman symbolized in Do, and how her destructive actions eventually led to the unification of Maghan and Sogolon.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)