|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has given birth to an ugly daughter?
(a) He loves his new daughter as he does his sons.
(b) He weeps next to his wife.
(c) He bans her from the palace.
(d) He calls for the sorcerers to cleanse Sogolon's womb.
2. Which of the following elements does Kanty and his men have mastery over?
3. What does Sundiata discover about Mansa Konkon, the king of Djedeba?
(a) That he is a great sorcerer.
(b) That he is a great hunter.
(c) That he is a great warrior.
(d) That he is a great swimmer.
4. Who do the Malian people believe can become king one day?
(a) The least expected child.
(b) Any one.
(c) The one most worthy.
(d) The proper heir of the king.
5. How old is young Djata when the reader first sees him again after his birth?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Thirteen years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sogolon beg to borrow from Sassouma?
2. How does Dankaran respond when Kanty demands rule of Mali?
3. What type of tree is Maghan Kon Fatta's favorite type of tree to rest under?
4. Griots are considered "vessels of _____ ."
5. What does the king give to his subjects in celebration for the birth of the new child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Soumaoro and Sundiata communicate before the battle of Krina?
2. How have Sundiata's friends been living since the fall of Mali?
3. According to the griot, what parts of Sundiata's legacy are still standing in present-day Mali?
4. How does Sassouma try to convince the nine witches to kill Sundiata?
5. How do the people of Mali react to the news that Sundiata has arrived to return the land to them?
6. How does Sundiata strip Soumaoro of his magical powers?
7. Why does Sassouma meet with the sorcerers in the village after Sogolon's arrival?
8. What unusual event takes place at the new baby's naming ceremony?
9. What changes does Sundiata make in the African nation after he is appointed emperor?
10. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)