|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What physical attribute does the hunter have which prompts the king's men to think he is evil?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He has blue eyes.
(c) He has fair skin.
(d) He is left handed.
2. Griots are considered "vessels of _____ ."
(a) The present.
(b) The future.
(d) The past.
3. What appears in the sky at the moment that Sagolon's baby is born?
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A flash of lightning.
(c) A ray of sunshine.
(d) A storm cloud.
4. What animal is terrorizing the land of Do?
(a) A warthog.
(b) A buffalo.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A lion.
5. Which group of African people is focused on in Sundiata's story?
(a) The servants.
(b) The peseants.
(c) The kings.
(d) The working class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sundiata discover about Mansa Konkon, the king of Djedeba?
2. Which character is forced into Kanty's employment?
3. From whom do Sundiata's ancestors seek advise at the opening of the story?
4. Which of the following musical instruments is magical in Kanty's chamber?
5. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a griot?
2. How are the Malian merchants discovered in Mema, and what is the reaction to their arrival?
3. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
4. How do the Malian people feel about a heavenly God?
5. How does Sundiata react to the reunification with Nana Triban, and what steps does he take to bring the land of Mali back together?
6. What happens when Sundiata visits a spiritual river and prays there?
7. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
8. What happens when Mali wages war against Kanty?
9. Why does Sundiata go into exile?
10. What happens during Sundiata's first battle against Soumaoro?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)