|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following ailments affects Sundiata?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He is lame.
(c) He is mute.
(d) He is deaf.
2. How does Kanty treat men who disagree with him?
(a) He debates with them.
(b) He puts them in prison.
(c) He kills them.
(d) He tortures them.
3. Which of the following is the most important task for a griot to accomplish?
(a) To judge.
(b) To interpret.
(c) To predict.
(d) To remember.
4. Who is Fran Kamara?
(a) Sundiata's griot.
(b) Sundiata's childhood friend.
(c) Sundiata's brother.
(d) Sundiata's arch enemy.
5. Where do Sundiata's relatives travel for advise at the opening of the story?
(a) To the river.
(b) To Nirvana.
(c) To Mecca.
(d) To the palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is young Djata when the reader first sees him again after his birth?
2. How many witches does Sassouma hire to kill Sundiata?
3. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has gone into labor?
4. After what event does Sundiata promise to stand up and walk?
5. Which of the following types of poems is the genre which "Sundiata" belongs to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have Sundiata's friends been living since the fall of Mali?
2. What does Dankaran do that causes Sundiata to fly into a rage?
3. What happens when the king loses hope that Djata will grow to be a great king?
4. How were Nana Triban and Sundiata reunited?
5. What happens when the warriors meet a starving, old woman in Do?
6. How does Sassouma try to convince the nine witches to kill Sundiata?
7. How have Sundiata's childhood friends sought to help him in his return to Mali?
8. What confession does Nana Triban make to Sundiata when they are reunited?
9. How does Djata learn to walk?
10. Who is Manding Bory, and what role does he play in Sundiata'slife?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)