|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Kouyaty's story, of what material does Kanty sew his clothing?
(a) Dollar bills.
(b) Leopard fur.
(c) Gold thread.
(d) Human skin.
2. What does Sogolon beg to borrow from Sassouma?
(a) A berry.
(b) An egg.
(c) A leaf.
(d) A branch.
3. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
4. In what country is Sundiata named heir to a childless king?
5. What is the role of a griot?
(a) Spiritual advisor.
(c) Medicine man.
(d) Story teller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sassouma's son, who is set to inherit the king's throne?
2. Who first spreads the gossip that Sundiata has sworn to stand up and walk?
3. What is the name of the king's first wife?
4. What animal do the villagers attribute to the new baby?
5. What does Kanty demand from his country's neighboring lands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the griots considered "vessels of the past?"
2. How does Sundiata react to the reunification with Nana Triban, and what steps does he take to bring the land of Mali back together?
3. What does Dankaran do that causes Sundiata to fly into a rage?
4. What demands does Kanty make of the African nations, and what is Dankaran's response?
5. How do the Malian merchants greet Sundiata, and what news do they bring from home?
6. What happens when Mali wages war against Kanty?
7. How does the king respond to the hunter who makes him an offering?
8. How have Sundiata's childhood friends sought to help him in his return to Mali?
9. What one complaint does the griot have at the close of the book about modern day audiences in response to Sundiata's story?
10. How does Sogolon eventually become the king's favorite wife?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)