|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does the hunter who approaches Maghan Kon Fatta offer to him?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A deer.
(c) A bird.
(d) A lion.
2. From what land is the hunter from?
3. What does Kanty demand from his country's neighboring lands?
4. Whose griot is Kouyaty?
(a) Soumaoro Kanty's.
(b) Manding Bory's.
5. From whom do Sundiata's ancestors seek advise at the opening of the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Kanty related to Fakoli?
2. Which of the following musical instruments is magical in Kanty's chamber?
3. What does Dankaran take away from Sundiata, sending him into a fury?
4. What do the Malian people believe is the most definitive characteristic of the heavenly God?
5. To which family member is young Djata most attached?
Short Essay Questions
1. What one complaint does the griot have at the close of the book about modern day audiences in response to Sundiata's story?
2. Why does Sassouma meet with the sorcerers in the village after Sogolon's arrival?
3. Why is Sogolon presented as a gift to the king?
4. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
5. According to the griot, what parts of Sundiata's legacy are still standing in present-day Mali?
6. How does Sundiata strip Soumaoro of his magical powers?
7. How have Sundiata's friends been living since the fall of Mali?
8. How does Sundiata collect the army that fights with him in Tabon?
9. What is the reaction when Sogolon goes into labor?
10. When the hunter gives the king his fortune, what does he say?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)