|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who falls ill, causing king Soumaba to relocate the family to a river country?
(d) Manding Bory.
2. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
(a) D.T. Niane.
(b) Manding Bory.
(d) Djeli Mamoudou Kouyate.
3. Who urges Dankaran to hate his brothers?
(c) Manding Bory.
4. Which of the following adjectives best describes Sogolon?
5. How does Fassyky win over Kanty's heart, and convince him not to kill him?
(a) He threatens Kanty with Sundiata's power.
(b) He sings Kanty a song.
(c) He bribes Kanty with bags of gold.
(d) He begs Kanty for his life.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has gone into labor?
2. What physical deformity does the hunter tell the king his future wife should have?
3. How does Sassouma feel about young Djata and the fact that he is seemingly slow?
4. Why does Sogolon believe Djata does not speak with other children?
5. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader receive the information about Sundiata's friends and their lives after the fall of Mali?
2. Why does Fassyky ask for a private conference with Fran Kamara upon returning to Mali?
3. What does Fassyky find in Kanty's sorcery chambers?
4. How does Djata learn to walk?
5. How did Sundiata come to inherit the land of Mema?
6. Why did ancient kings initially want griots?
7. How have Sundiata's childhood friends sought to help him in his return to Mali?
8. How does Sundiata honor his memory of the old buffalo woman?
9. What happens that causes the usually patient Sologon to beat Djata?
10. Who were the early kings of Mali?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)