|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the king give to his subjects in celebration for the birth of the new child?
2. Which of the following characters does NOT enter exile with Sundiata?
(b) All of the above.
(c) Manding Bory.
3. Which of the following musical instruments is magical in Kanty's chamber?
(a) A xylophone.
(b) A drum.
(c) A flute.
(d) A piano.
4. Why do ancient African kings want griots?
(a) To have constant companionship.
(b) To be able to pour out their deepest secrets.
(c) Because griots were thought to be magical.
(d) To keep their memories alive.
5. Who do the Malian people believe can become king one day?
(a) The proper heir of the king.
(b) The one most worthy.
(c) Any one.
(d) The least expected child.
6. How long does Sundiata wander in the desert before settling in Djedeba?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Thirteen years.
(d) Nine years.
7. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has given birth to an ugly daughter?
(a) He loves his new daughter as he does his sons.
(b) He weeps next to his wife.
(c) He calls for the sorcerers to cleanse Sogolon's womb.
(d) He bans her from the palace.
8. What does Dankaran take away from Sundiata, sending him into a fury?
(a) His garden.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother.
(d) His griot.
9. How does Fassyky win over Kanty's heart, and convince him not to kill him?
(a) He begs Kanty for his life.
(b) He threatens Kanty with Sundiata's power.
(c) He sings Kanty a song.
(d) He bribes Kanty with bags of gold.
10. What is the name of the king's first wife?
(b) Mansa Konkon.
(d) Do Mansing.
11. What does Kanty demand from his country's neighboring lands?
12. What animal does the hunter who approaches Maghan Kon Fatta offer to him?
(a) A bird.
(b) A deer.
(c) A lion.
(d) A buffalo.
13. Which character is forced into Kanty's employment?
(d) Manding Bory.
14. When the king dies, what does he give to Djata on his deathbed?
(a) A griot.
(b) A goat.
(c) A garden.
15. Where do Sundiata's relatives travel for advise at the opening of the story?
(a) To Mecca.
(b) To the river.
(c) To the palace.
(d) To Nirvana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What skill does Fassyky teach Sundiata to do?
2. Whose griot is Kouyaty?
3. Which of the following types of poems is the genre which "Sundiata" belongs to?
4. How does the room respond when Fassyky plays Kanty's magical musical instrument?
5. What gift did ancient African kings believe griots could give them?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)