|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has given birth to an ugly daughter?
(a) He weeps next to his wife.
(b) He calls for the sorcerers to cleanse Sogolon's womb.
(c) He bans her from the palace.
(d) He loves his new daughter as he does his sons.
2. Why does the king fear marrying Sogolon?
(a) Because he thinks she is a spider reincarnated.
(b) Because he thinks she has an evil spirit.
(c) Because he thinks she is possessed with ghosts.
(d) Because he thinks she is too good for him.
3. Griots are considered "vessels of _____ ."
(a) The past.
(b) The present.
(c) The future.
4. Who first spreads the gossip that Sundiata has sworn to stand up and walk?
(a) Manding Bory.
5. What do the Malian people believe is the most definitive characteristic of the heavenly God?
(a) He is powerful.
(b) He is mysterious.
(c) He is trustworthy.
(d) He is vengeful.
6. What does Sassouma plot to do to Sogolon?
(a) Exile her.
(b) Injure her.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Humiliate her.
7. From what land is the hunter from?
8. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
(a) D.T. Niane.
(c) Manding Bory.
(d) Djeli Mamoudou Kouyate.
9. How does Fassyky win over Kanty's heart, and convince him not to kill him?
(a) He threatens Kanty with Sundiata's power.
(b) He sings Kanty a song.
(c) He begs Kanty for his life.
(d) He bribes Kanty with bags of gold.
10. How is Kanty related to Fakoli?
(a) Fakoli is his father.
(b) Fakoli is his nephew.
(c) Fakoli is his brother.
(d) Fakoli is his son.
11. Who urges Dankaran to hate his brothers?
(d) Manding Bory.
12. In which African country does this story take place?
13. How does the king feel when Manding Bory is born?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is frustrated.
14. How many names is the new baby given at his naming ceremony?
15. How does Dankaran feel when Sundiata swears to return from exile?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is angered.
(d) He is amused.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following actions is Djata most often seen doing by the villagers?
2. Which of the following elements does Kanty and his men have mastery over?
3. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
4. Which of the following ailments affects Sundiata?
5. What does Kanty demand from his country's neighboring lands?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)