|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Sassouma's son, who is set to inherit the king's throne?
2. Which of the following countries is under Kanty's rule?
3. From which direction does the hunter promise a "great light" will come from?
(a) From the north.
(b) From the south.
(c) From the east.
(d) From the west.
4. What does Sassouma plot to do to Sogolon?
(a) Humiliate her.
(b) Exile her.
(c) Injure her.
(d) Kill her.
5. Why does the king fear marrying Sogolon?
(a) Because he thinks she is possessed with ghosts.
(b) Because he thinks she has an evil spirit.
(c) Because he thinks she is too good for him.
(d) Because he thinks she is a spider reincarnated.
6. How old does Sassouma claim Dankaran was when he first began to collect baobob?
(a) Ten years old.
(b) Seven years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Twelve years old.
7. Who first spreads the gossip that Sundiata has sworn to stand up and walk?
(d) Manding Bory.
8. What type of tree is Maghan Kon Fatta's favorite type of tree to rest under?
(a) An ash tree.
(b) A silk-cotton tree.
(c) A magnolia tree.
(d) A pomegranate tree.
9. How does Dankaran feel when Sundiata swears to return from exile?
(a) He is angered.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is amused.
10. In Kouyaty's story, of what material does Kanty sew his clothing?
(a) Dollar bills.
(b) Gold thread.
(c) Human skin.
(d) Leopard fur.
11. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
(a) Djeli Mamoudou Kouyate.
(b) D.T. Niane.
(d) Manding Bory.
12. What object does the hunter use to tell the king's fortune?
(a) Tarot cards.
(c) Tea leaves.
13. Which of the following groups of people claimed to know all along that Sundiata would rise up and walk?
(a) The witches.
(b) The sorcerers.
(c) The outcasts.
(d) The griots.
14. How many names is the new baby given at his naming ceremony?
15. Which of the following is the most important task for a griot to accomplish?
(a) To judge.
(b) To remember.
(c) To interpret.
(d) To predict.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dankaran take away from Sundiata, sending him into a fury?
2. Why does Sogolon believe Djata does not speak with other children?
3. What are Sundiata's ancestors known for being able to extract from plants and herbs that others cannot?
4. What does Sogolon beg to borrow from Sassouma?
5. Which of the following adjectives best describes Djata's physicality as a boy?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)