|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like when Sogolon first goes into labor?
(a) It is sunny.
(b) It is raining.
(c) It is hailing.
(d) It is snowing.
2. Griots are considered "vessels of _____ ."
(a) The present.
(b) The past.
(d) The future.
3. What animal do the villagers attribute to the new baby?
(a) A gorilla.
(b) A gazelle.
(c) A flamingo.
(d) A lion.
4. In Kouyaty's story, of what material does Kanty sew his clothing?
(a) Dollar bills.
(b) Gold thread.
(c) Leopard fur.
(d) Human skin.
5. How old does Sassouma claim Dankaran was when he first began to collect baobob?
(a) Twelve years old.
(b) Fifteen years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Seven years old.
6. How does Fakoli react to Kanty's theft?
(a) He kills him.
(b) He forgives him.
(c) He ignores him.
(d) He curses him.
7. When Sundiata visits Ghana, what does he realize about the people who live there?
(a) They are very educated.
(b) They have never seen a white man before.
(c) They are excellent traders.
(d) They all admire king Dankaran.
8. What appears in the sky at the moment that Sagolon's baby is born?
(a) A ray of sunshine.
(b) A storm cloud.
(c) A flash of lightning.
(d) A rainbow.
9. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has given birth to an ugly daughter?
(a) He calls for the sorcerers to cleanse Sogolon's womb.
(b) He bans her from the palace.
(c) He weeps next to his wife.
(d) He loves his new daughter as he does his sons.
10. What physical attribute does the hunter have which prompts the king's men to think he is evil?
(a) He has fair skin.
(b) He is left handed.
(c) He is blind.
(d) He has blue eyes.
11. What does Kanty steal from Fakoli?
(a) His crops.
(b) His money.
(c) His wife.
(d) His land.
12. How does the king feel when Manding Bory is born?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is frustrated.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is excited.
13. How does Sassouma feel about young Djata and the fact that he is seemingly slow?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is pleased.
(c) She is worried.
(d) She is confused.
14. What do the Malian people believe is the most definitive characteristic of the heavenly God?
(a) He is mysterious.
(b) He is vengeful.
(c) He is powerful.
(d) He is trustworthy.
15. To which family member is young Djata most attached?
(a) His brother.
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sassouma's son, who is set to inherit the king's throne?
2. Which group of African people is focused on in Sundiata's story?
3. What does Kanty demand from his country's neighboring lands?
4. Where does Kouyaty begin his story of Sundiata?
5. From what land is the hunter from?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)