|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the Malian people believe can become king one day?
(a) The one most worthy.
(b) The least expected child.
(c) Any one.
(d) The proper heir of the king.
2. Which of the following types of poems is the genre which "Sundiata" belongs to?
3. Why do ancient African kings want griots?
(a) To keep their memories alive.
(b) Because griots were thought to be magical.
(c) To have constant companionship.
(d) To be able to pour out their deepest secrets.
4. How do the people of Mali treat Sundiata after the king dies?
(a) They mock him.
(b) They are kind to him.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They revere him.
5. What weapon does Sundiata use to dual with Konkon?
(a) A sword.
(b) A bow and arrow.
(c) A boomerang.
(d) A mallet.
6. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
7. What are Sundiata's ancestors known for being able to extract from plants and herbs that others cannot?
8. To which family member is young Djata most attached?
(a) His brother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His father.
9. Why does the hunter revere small seeds?
(a) Because they are strong.
(b) Because they are beautiful.
(c) Because they spread.
(d) Because they can be pollinated.
10. What does Sundiata discover about Mansa Konkon, the king of Djedeba?
(a) That he is a great sorcerer.
(b) That he is a great swimmer.
(c) That he is a great hunter.
(d) That he is a great warrior.
11. Which of the following adjectives best describes Sogolon?
12. What is the role of a griot?
(a) Story teller.
(b) Spiritual advisor.
(c) Medicine man.
13. Who does Sassouma consult with to help in her plot against Sogolon?
(a) The sorcerers.
(b) The medicine man.
(c) The musicians.
(d) The entertainers.
14. How does Dankaran feel when Sundiata swears to return from exile?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is angered.
(c) He is amused.
(d) He is terrified.
15. In what country is Sundiata named heir to a childless king?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following musical instruments is magical in Kanty's chamber?
2. What object does the hunter use to tell the king's fortune?
3. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
4. In which African country does this story take place?
5. Which character is forced into Kanty's employment?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)