|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following actions is Djata most often seen doing by the villagers?
2. From whom do Sundiata's ancestors seek advise at the opening of the story?
3. How does Sassouma feel about young Djata and the fact that he is seemingly slow?
(a) She is apathetic.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is pleased.
(d) She is worried.
4. What does Kanty's magical instrument alert him of?
(a) When is good time to go and hunt.
(b) When there is a traitor in the room.
(c) Which women are most interested in him.
(d) When someone has broken into his chambers.
5. Which of the following is NOT something that Fassyky discovers in Kanty's sorcery chamber?
(a) Strange animals.
(b) Musical instruments.
(c) Human remains.
(d) Sacks of gold coins.
6. Which of the following adjectives best describes Kanty?
7. Whose griot is Kouyaty?
(b) Manding Bory's.
(c) Soumaoro Kanty's.
8. When the king dies, what does he give to Djata on his deathbed?
(a) A garden.
(b) A goat.
(d) A griot.
9. What physical deformity does the hunter tell the king his future wife should have?
(a) She should be a mute.
(b) She should be a giant.
(c) She should be a humpback.
(d) She should be a dwarf.
10. How old does Sassouma claim Dankaran was when he first began to collect baobob?
(a) Seven years old.
(b) Twelve years old.
(c) Ten years old.
(d) Fifteen years old.
11. What type of tree is Maghan Kon Fatta's favorite type of tree to rest under?
(a) A pomegranate tree.
(b) A silk-cotton tree.
(c) A magnolia tree.
(d) An ash tree.
12. What does Sogolon beg to borrow from Sassouma?
(a) A berry.
(b) A branch.
(c) An egg.
(d) A leaf.
13. How does Dankaran feel when Sundiata swears to return from exile?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is angered.
(c) He is amused.
(d) He is apathetic.
14. Who is Maghan Kon Fatta?
(a) Sundiata's brother.
(b) Sundiata's son.
(c) Sundiata's grandfather.
(d) Sundiata's father.
15. Who does Sassouma consult with to help in her plot against Sogolon?
(a) The sorcerers.
(b) The medicine man.
(c) The musicians.
(d) The entertainers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the Malian people believe can become king one day?
2. What does Kanty demand from his country's neighboring lands?
3. Why does the king fear marrying Sogolon?
4. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
5. What is the name of Sassouma's son, who is set to inherit the king's throne?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)