|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
2. How does the room respond when Fassyky plays Kanty's magical musical instrument?
(a) The room becomes violent.
(b) The room falls asleep.
(c) There is no reaction from the room.
(d) The room is transfixed.
3. What are Sundiata's ancestors known for being able to extract from plants and herbs that others cannot?
4. From which direction does the hunter promise a "great light" will come from?
(a) From the north.
(b) From the west.
(c) From the south.
(d) From the east.
5. Why is Sassouma jealous of Sogolon?
(a) Because she comes from a wealthier family.
(b) Because she is pregnant with the king's child.
(c) Because the villagers love her.
(d) Because she is more beautiful.
6. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has gone into labor?
(a) He is completely apathetic.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is not home when the news breaks out.
(d) He is very nervous.
7. What animal do the villagers attribute to the new baby?
(a) A gazelle.
(b) A flamingo.
(c) A gorilla.
(d) A lion.
8. What does Kanty's magical instrument alert him of?
(a) Which women are most interested in him.
(b) When there is a traitor in the room.
(c) When is good time to go and hunt.
(d) When someone has broken into his chambers.
9. What does Sundiata discover about Mansa Konkon, the king of Djedeba?
(a) That he is a great swimmer.
(b) That he is a great hunter.
(c) That he is a great warrior.
(d) That he is a great sorcerer.
10. In which African country does this story take place?
11. What do the Malian people believe is the most definitive characteristic of the heavenly God?
(a) He is powerful.
(b) He is vengeful.
(c) He is trustworthy.
(d) He is mysterious.
12. Which of the following actions is Djata most often seen doing by the villagers?
13. How is Kanty related to Fakoli?
(a) Fakoli is his nephew.
(b) Fakoli is his brother.
(c) Fakoli is his son.
(d) Fakoli is his father.
14. Why do ancient African kings want griots?
(a) Because griots were thought to be magical.
(b) To have constant companionship.
(c) To keep their memories alive.
(d) To be able to pour out their deepest secrets.
15. Which of the following characters does NOT enter exile with Sundiata?
(a) Manding Bory.
(d) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the role of a griot?
2. Which of the following elements does Kanty and his men have mastery over?
3. What does Dankaran take away from Sundiata, sending him into a fury?
4. Which of the following countries is under Kanty's rule?
5. How do the warriors kill the animal that is terrorizing Do?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)