|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what land is the hunter from?
2. From whom do Sundiata's ancestors seek advise at the opening of the story?
3. What object does the hunter use to tell the king's fortune?
(c) Tarot cards.
(d) Tea leaves.
4. What appears in the sky at the moment that Sagolon's baby is born?
(a) A flash of lightning.
(b) A rainbow.
(c) A storm cloud.
(d) A ray of sunshine.
5. Who is named heir to the throne once the king dies?
(c) Djeli Mamoudou Kouyate.
(d) Manding Bory.
6. What skill does Fassyky teach Sundiata to do?
7. Which of the following adjectives best describes Sogolon?
8. What does Dankaran take away from Sundiata, sending him into a fury?
(a) His brother.
(b) His griot.
(c) His garden.
(d) His mother.
9. Where does Kouyaty begin his story of Sundiata?
(a) When Sundiata is born.
(b) When Sundiata begins to walk.
(c) When Sundiata becomes a man.
(d) When Sundiata dies.
10. How do the warriors kill the animal that is terrorizing Do?
(a) With their stamina.
(b) With their spirituality.
(c) With their spears.
(d) With kindness.
11. How many wives does Sundiata's father have?
12. Which character is forced into Kanty's employment?
(d) Manding Bory.
13. Out of what metal does Sundiata ask the blacksmiths to make his walking rod?
14. Why is Sassouma jealous of Sogolon?
(a) Because the villagers love her.
(b) Because she is pregnant with the king's child.
(c) Because she comes from a wealthier family.
(d) Because she is more beautiful.
15. How old is young Djata when the reader first sees him again after his birth?
(a) Twenty years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Thirteen years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Malian people believe is the most definitive characteristic of the heavenly God?
2. Why do ancient African kings want griots?
3. Who is Fran Kamara?
4. Whose griot is Kouyaty?
5. Which of the following is the most important task for a griot to accomplish?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)