|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
2. Why does the hunter revere small seeds?
(a) Because they are beautiful.
(b) Because they spread.
(c) Because they can be pollinated.
(d) Because they are strong.
3. What appears in the sky at the moment that Sagolon's baby is born?
(a) A rainbow.
(b) A flash of lightning.
(c) A ray of sunshine.
(d) A storm cloud.
4. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
(a) D.T. Niane.
(c) Manding Bory.
(d) Djeli Mamoudou Kouyate.
5. When Sundiata visits Ghana, what does he realize about the people who live there?
(a) They are excellent traders.
(b) They all admire king Dankaran.
(c) They have never seen a white man before.
(d) They are very educated.
6. Which of the following characters does NOT enter exile with Sundiata?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Manding Bory.
7. Which of the following adjectives best describes Djata's physicality as a boy?
8. What is the weather like when Sogolon first goes into labor?
(a) It is sunny.
(b) It is snowing.
(c) It is hailing.
(d) It is raining.
9. Which of the following is the most important task for a griot to accomplish?
(a) To judge.
(b) To predict.
(c) To interpret.
(d) To remember.
10. What animal is terrorizing the land of Do?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A lion.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A warthog.
11. Which of the following actions is Djata most often seen doing by the villagers?
12. Why does Sogolon believe Djata does not speak with other children?
(a) Because he is intimidated by other children.
(b) Because he is more advanced than they are.
(c) Because he does not understand human language.
(d) Because he is too slow.
13. How long does Sundiata wander in the desert before settling in Djedeba?
(a) Seven years.
(b) Thirteen years.
(c) Nine years.
(d) Five years.
14. Which of the following elements does Kanty and his men have mastery over?
15. Where does Sassouma force Sologon to live after the king dies?
(a) In the desert.
(b) Out in the woods, far away from the palace.
(c) In a small patch behind the palace.
(d) In a pig sty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of tree is Maghan Kon Fatta's favorite type of tree to rest under?
2. What is the name of the king's first wife?
3. What physical deformity does the hunter tell the king his future wife should have?
4. How does Sassouma feel about young Djata and the fact that he is seemingly slow?
5. What is the role of a griot?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)