|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sassouma feel about young Djata and the fact that he is seemingly slow?
(a) She is pleased.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is apathetic.
(d) She is worried.
2. Who first spreads the gossip that Sundiata has sworn to stand up and walk?
(c) Manding Bory.
3. Which of the following groups of people claimed to know all along that Sundiata would rise up and walk?
(a) The griots.
(b) The sorcerers.
(c) The witches.
(d) The outcasts.
4. In which African country does this story take place?
5. Who is named heir to the throne once the king dies?
(a) Djeli Mamoudou Kouyate.
(d) Manding Bory.
6. Why does the king fear marrying Sogolon?
(a) Because he thinks she has an evil spirit.
(b) Because he thinks she is too good for him.
(c) Because he thinks she is possessed with ghosts.
(d) Because he thinks she is a spider reincarnated.
7. Which of the following ailments affects Sundiata?
(a) He is lame.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is mute.
8. How do the warriors kill the animal that is terrorizing Do?
(a) With their spears.
(b) With their spirituality.
(c) With kindness.
(d) With their stamina.
9. After what event does Sundiata promise to stand up and walk?
(a) After his eighteenth birthday.
(b) After Dankaran rises to power.
(c) After his mother passes away.
(d) After a humiliating beating.
10. What does Sundiata discover about Mansa Konkon, the king of Djedeba?
(a) That he is a great hunter.
(b) That he is a great sorcerer.
(c) That he is a great swimmer.
(d) That he is a great warrior.
11. Where does Sassouma force Sologon to live after the king dies?
(a) In the desert.
(b) In a pig sty.
(c) In a small patch behind the palace.
(d) Out in the woods, far away from the palace.
12. Who do the Malian people believe can become king one day?
(a) Any one.
(b) The one most worthy.
(c) The proper heir of the king.
(d) The least expected child.
13. What gift did ancient African kings believe griots could give them?
14. Which of the following adjectives best describes Djata's physicality as a boy?
15. Why is Sassouma jealous of Sogolon?
(a) Because she comes from a wealthier family.
(b) Because the villagers love her.
(c) Because she is pregnant with the king's child.
(d) Because she is more beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following musical instruments is magical in Kanty's chamber?
2. Which of the following is NOT something that Fassyky discovers in Kanty's sorcery chamber?
3. How does Dankaran feel when Sundiata swears to return from exile?
4. When the king dies, what does he give to Djata on his deathbed?
5. How old does Sassouma claim Dankaran was when he first began to collect baobob?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)