|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Maghan Kon Fatta?
(a) Sundiata's father.
(b) Sundiata's brother.
(c) Sundiata's grandfather.
(d) Sundiata's son.
2. When Sundiata visits Ghana, what does he realize about the people who live there?
(a) They are very educated.
(b) They have never seen a white man before.
(c) They all admire king Dankaran.
(d) They are excellent traders.
3. When the king dies, what does he give to Djata on his deathbed?
(a) A goat.
(c) A griot.
(d) A garden.
4. What is the weather like when Sogolon first goes into labor?
(a) It is hailing.
(b) It is snowing.
(c) It is raining.
(d) It is sunny.
5. Which character is forced into Kanty's employment?
(c) Manding Bory.
6. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
7. Which of the following types of poems is the genre which "Sundiata" belongs to?
8. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has gone into labor?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is not home when the news breaks out.
(c) He is very nervous.
(d) He is completely apathetic.
9. What do the Malian people believe is the most definitive characteristic of the heavenly God?
(a) He is trustworthy.
(b) He is mysterious.
(c) He is vengeful.
(d) He is powerful.
10. Which of the following is the most important task for a griot to accomplish?
(a) To interpret.
(b) To remember.
(c) To predict.
(d) To judge.
11. Which of the following adjectives best describes Sogolon?
12. How long does Sassouma decide to wait until she finishes her plot against Sogolon?
(a) Until the naming ceremony.
(b) Until the baby is three-years-old.
(c) Until the baby reaches manhood.
(d) Until the baby is born.
13. From which direction does the hunter promise a "great light" will come from?
(a) From the west.
(b) From the north.
(c) From the south.
(d) From the east.
14. How does the room respond when Fassyky plays Kanty's magical musical instrument?
(a) The room falls asleep.
(b) The room becomes violent.
(c) The room is transfixed.
(d) There is no reaction from the room.
15. What animal is terrorizing the land of Do?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A lion.
(c) A warthog.
(d) A monkey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following countries is under Kanty's rule?
2. How old is young Djata when the reader first sees him again after his birth?
3. To which family member is young Djata most attached?
4. What does Kanty demand from his country's neighboring lands?
5. How does Dankaran feel when Sundiata swears to return from exile?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)