|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters does NOT enter exile with Sundiata?
(c) All of the above.
(d) Manding Bory.
2. From what land is the hunter from?
3. What does Dankaran take away from Sundiata, sending him into a fury?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother.
(c) His garden.
(d) His griot.
4. Out of what metal does Sundiata ask the blacksmiths to make his walking rod?
5. How does Fassyky win over Kanty's heart, and convince him not to kill him?
(a) He begs Kanty for his life.
(b) He threatens Kanty with Sundiata's power.
(c) He sings Kanty a song.
(d) He bribes Kanty with bags of gold.
6. What does Kanty steal from Fakoli?
(a) His land.
(b) His money.
(c) His crops.
(d) His wife.
7. What type of tree is Maghan Kon Fatta's favorite type of tree to rest under?
(a) A magnolia tree.
(b) An ash tree.
(c) A silk-cotton tree.
(d) A pomegranate tree.
8. What object does the hunter use to tell the king's fortune?
(b) Tea leaves.
(c) Tarot cards.
9. How does Dankaran feel when Sundiata swears to return from exile?
(a) He is angered.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is amused.
(d) He is apathetic.
10. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has gone into labor?
(a) He is completely apathetic.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is very nervous.
(d) He is not home when the news breaks out.
11. Which group of African people is focused on in Sundiata's story?
(a) The kings.
(b) The working class.
(c) The peseants.
(d) The servants.
12. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
(a) Djeli Mamoudou Kouyate.
(b) Manding Bory.
(c) D.T. Niane.
13. What does Sogolon beg to borrow from Sassouma?
(a) An egg.
(b) A branch.
(c) A berry.
(d) A leaf.
14. From whom do Sundiata's ancestors seek advise at the opening of the story?
15. How does Kanty treat men who disagree with him?
(a) He debates with them.
(b) He tortures them.
(c) He kills them.
(d) He puts them in prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sogolon believe Djata does not speak with other children?
2. Who does Sassouma consult with to help in her plot against Sogolon?
3. How does the king feel when Manding Bory is born?
4. How do the warriors kill the animal that is terrorizing Do?
5. In Kouyaty's story, of what material does Kanty sew his clothing?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)