|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Kanty related to Fakoli?
(a) Fakoli is his son.
(b) Fakoli is his nephew.
(c) Fakoli is his father.
(d) Fakoli is his brother.
2. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
3. Which group of African people is focused on in Sundiata's story?
(a) The peseants.
(b) The working class.
(c) The servants.
(d) The kings.
4. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has gone into labor?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is not home when the news breaks out.
(c) He is completely apathetic.
(d) He is very nervous.
5. To which family member is young Djata most attached?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
6. What appears in the sky at the moment that Sagolon's baby is born?
(a) A ray of sunshine.
(b) A storm cloud.
(c) A rainbow.
(d) A flash of lightning.
7. How many witches does Sassouma hire to kill Sundiata?
(b) Nine hundred.
8. What type of tree is Maghan Kon Fatta's favorite type of tree to rest under?
(a) A silk-cotton tree.
(b) An ash tree.
(c) A pomegranate tree.
(d) A magnolia tree.
9. In what country is Sundiata named heir to a childless king?
10. What skill does Fassyky teach Sundiata to do?
11. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has given birth to an ugly daughter?
(a) He weeps next to his wife.
(b) He calls for the sorcerers to cleanse Sogolon's womb.
(c) He loves his new daughter as he does his sons.
(d) He bans her from the palace.
12. When Sundiata visits Ghana, what does he realize about the people who live there?
(a) They have never seen a white man before.
(b) They are very educated.
(c) They all admire king Dankaran.
(d) They are excellent traders.
13. Why does the king fear marrying Sogolon?
(a) Because he thinks she is too good for him.
(b) Because he thinks she has an evil spirit.
(c) Because he thinks she is a spider reincarnated.
(d) Because he thinks she is possessed with ghosts.
14. Why does Sogolon believe Djata does not speak with other children?
(a) Because he is intimidated by other children.
(b) Because he is too slow.
(c) Because he does not understand human language.
(d) Because he is more advanced than they are.
15. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
(b) D.T. Niane.
(c) Manding Bory.
(d) Djeli Mamoudou Kouyate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
2. Which of the following is the most important task for a griot to accomplish?
3. How does Dankaran respond when Kanty demands rule of Mali?
4. What does Sogolon beg to borrow from Sassouma?
5. How old is young Djata when the reader first sees him again after his birth?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)