|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fakoli react to Kanty's theft?
(a) He forgives him.
(b) He kills him.
(c) He ignores him.
(d) He curses him.
2. Which of the following is the most important task for a griot to accomplish?
(a) To judge.
(b) To interpret.
(c) To predict.
(d) To remember.
3. What are Sundiata's ancestors known for being able to extract from plants and herbs that others cannot?
4. Whose griot is Kouyaty?
(a) Manding Bory's.
(d) Soumaoro Kanty's.
5. When the king dies, what does he give to Djata on his deathbed?
(a) A griot.
(b) A garden.
(d) A goat.
6. What is the name of Sassouma's son, who is set to inherit the king's throne?
7. Which of the following musical instruments is magical in Kanty's chamber?
(a) A flute.
(b) A piano.
(c) A drum.
(d) A xylophone.
8. How does Dankaran feel when Sundiata swears to return from exile?
(a) He is angered.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is amused.
9. What physical deformity does the hunter tell the king his future wife should have?
(a) She should be a giant.
(b) She should be a mute.
(c) She should be a dwarf.
(d) She should be a humpback.
10. What does Sundiata discover about Mansa Konkon, the king of Djedeba?
(a) That he is a great sorcerer.
(b) That he is a great swimmer.
(c) That he is a great warrior.
(d) That he is a great hunter.
11. Which of the following activities do Sundiata's ancestors excel at?
12. What does Dankaran take away from Sundiata, sending him into a fury?
(a) His griot.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His garden.
13. How long does Sassouma decide to wait until she finishes her plot against Sogolon?
(a) Until the baby reaches manhood.
(b) Until the baby is born.
(c) Until the baby is three-years-old.
(d) Until the naming ceremony.
14. Griots are considered "vessels of _____ ."
(a) The present.
(b) The future.
(d) The past.
15. Why does the hunter revere small seeds?
(a) Because they can be pollinated.
(b) Because they are beautiful.
(c) Because they spread.
(d) Because they are strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following actions is Djata most often seen doing by the villagers?
2. What gift did ancient African kings believe griots could give them?
3. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
4. On which topic do Sundiata's ancestors seek advise from the heavens?
5. What animal is terrorizing the land of Do?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)