|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following musical instruments is magical in Kanty's chamber?
(a) A drum.
(b) A flute.
(c) A xylophone.
(d) A piano.
2. Whose responsibility is it to track the history of African families?
(a) The sons.
(b) The griot.
(c) The king.
(d) The wives.
3. When the king dies, what does he give to Djata on his deathbed?
(a) A garden.
(b) A goat.
(d) A griot.
4. Who does Sogolon worry might kill Manding Bory?
5. Where does Kouyaty begin his story of Sundiata?
(a) When Sundiata dies.
(b) When Sundiata is born.
(c) When Sundiata becomes a man.
(d) When Sundiata begins to walk.
6. How does the room respond when Fassyky plays Kanty's magical musical instrument?
(a) There is no reaction from the room.
(b) The room is transfixed.
(c) The room falls asleep.
(d) The room becomes violent.
7. How does Dankaran respond when Kanty demands rule of Mali?
(a) He barters away half the land, keeping the other half for himsel.
(b) He ignores Kanty's request.
(c) He declares war against Kanty and his men.
(d) He relinquishes the land to him.
8. How old does Sassouma claim Dankaran was when he first began to collect baobob?
(a) Seven years old.
(b) Twelve years old.
(c) Fifteen years old.
(d) Ten years old.
9. Which group of African people is focused on in Sundiata's story?
(a) The working class.
(b) The kings.
(c) The peseants.
(d) The servants.
10. How many witches does Sassouma hire to kill Sundiata?
(b) Nine hundred.
11. Which of the following groups of people claimed to know all along that Sundiata would rise up and walk?
(a) The witches.
(b) The outcasts.
(c) The griots.
(d) The sorcerers.
12. After what event does Sundiata promise to stand up and walk?
(a) After Dankaran rises to power.
(b) After a humiliating beating.
(c) After his mother passes away.
(d) After his eighteenth birthday.
13. How does the king react to the news that Sogolon has given birth to an ugly daughter?
(a) He bans her from the palace.
(b) He weeps next to his wife.
(c) He calls for the sorcerers to cleanse Sogolon's womb.
(d) He loves his new daughter as he does his sons.
14. Which of the following adjectives best describes Djata's physicality as a boy?
15. Which of the following ailments affects Sundiata?
(a) He is mute.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is lame.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who falls ill, causing king Soumaba to relocate the family to a river country?
2. Which of the following characters is the griot of Sundiata's story?
3. What does Sogolon beg to borrow from Sassouma?
4. In which African country does this story take place?
5. How is Kanty related to Fakoli?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)