The First Kings of Mali
* When the book opens, Djeli Mamoudou Kouyaty, a griot, is giving the oral history of the first kings of Mali, a group of religious pilgrims who traveled to Mecca in order to seek Allah's advise.
* Sundiata, the hero of the story, is introduced as a descendant of these early pilgrims. His half-brother and best friend Manding Bory, is also introduced.
The Buffalo Woman
* Sundiata's father and king of Mali, Maghan Kon Fatta, is introduced sitting under a silk-cotton tree with his griot. A hunter approaches the King with the offering of a deer he has killed.
* The king is pleased with the offering and offers the hunter a seat at his dinner that evening. The hunter expresses that he would like to read the king's fortune in the seashells he carries with him.
* The king accepts, even though the hunter is left-handed, a...
This section contains 2,619 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)