|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
2. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
3. How does Jake feel after the fiesta and the bull fighting?
4. What will the spectators do on the morning of the first day of the bull fights?
5. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
2. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
3. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
4. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
5. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
6. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
7. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
8. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
9. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
10. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)