|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
2. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
3. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
4. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
5. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
2. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
3. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
4. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
5. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
6. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
7. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
8. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
9. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
10. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)