|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
2. What is morality, according to Jake?
3. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
4. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
5. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
Essay Topic 2
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples of when Jake comes to the aid of Brett when she asks for help.
2) Defend or criticize his reasons for helping her.
3) Do you think she is justified in asking for his help?
4) What is your opinion of Jake when he continually helps Brett?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)