|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is morality, according to Jake?
2. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
3. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
4. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
5. Why do all the passengers sit on top of the bus before it leaves for Baguete?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
2. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
3. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
4. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
5. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
6. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
7. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
8. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
9. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
10. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze the character of Robert Cohn.
2) How is he depicted by the narrator?
3) How do his own words and actions reveal his character?
4) What do Mike, Brett, Harvey Stone and Bill feel about Robert Cohn?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss the value system of Count Mippipopolous.
2) How did he develop his set of values? Is he satisfied with his life or is he miserable?
3) Has he lived life to its potential?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)