|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
2. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
3. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
4. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
5. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
2. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
3. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
4. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
5. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
6. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
7. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
8. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
9. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
10. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast Brett Ashley and Cohn's fiancée, Frances.
2) Which of the two women is more like the women of today?
3) Defend the answer with examples from the novel and instances of modern day women.
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) The theme of anti-Semitism appears many times throughout the novel.
2) Cite examples of anti-Semitism in the story and what effect it has on the characters.
3) Which characters are anti-Semitic?
4) How do they reveal their anti-Semitism?
5) Which characters are Jewish and how do they handle the prejudices against them?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)