|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
2. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
3. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
4. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
5. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
2. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
3. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
4. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
5. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
6. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
7. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
8. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
9. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
10. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)