|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
2. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
3. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
4. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
5. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
2. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
3. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
4. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
5. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
6. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
7. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
8. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
9. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
10. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Robert Cohn's obsession with Lady Brett Ashley.
2) How do his feelings for Brett affect his fiancée, Frances?
3) What kind of an impact does his obsession have on Mike Campbell, Jake Barnes, and Pedro Romero?
4) Is his obsession with Brett ever resolved in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the character of Robert Cohn.
2) How is he depicted by the narrator?
3) How do his own words and actions reveal his character?
4) What do Mike, Brett, Harvey Stone and Bill feel about Robert Cohn?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)