|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
2. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
3. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
4. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
5. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
2. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
3. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
4. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
5. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
6. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
7. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
8. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
9. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
10. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Jake's impotence is mentioned many times in the novel.
2) Analyze how the theme of impotence is presented in the novel and what it symbolizes.
3) How does impotence relate to other themes in the novel?
4) Use examples from the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)