|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Brett tells Jake she is a goner?
2. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
3. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
4. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
5. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
2. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
3. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
4. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
5. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
6. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
7. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
8. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
9. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
10. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Robert Cohn's obsession with Lady Brett Ashley.
2) How do his feelings for Brett affect his fiancée, Frances?
3) What kind of an impact does his obsession have on Mike Campbell, Jake Barnes, and Pedro Romero?
4) Is his obsession with Brett ever resolved in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Jake's impotence is mentioned many times in the novel.
2) Analyze how the theme of impotence is presented in the novel and what it symbolizes.
3) How does impotence relate to other themes in the novel?
4) Use examples from the story to support the answer.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)