|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an aficionado?
2. How does Jake feel after the fiesta and the bull fighting?
3. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
4. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
5. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
2. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
3. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
4. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
5. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
6. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
7. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
8. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
9. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
10. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast Brett Ashley and Cohn's fiancée, Frances.
2) Which of the two women is more like the women of today?
3) Defend the answer with examples from the novel and instances of modern day women.
Essay Topic 3
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)