|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
2. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
3. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
4. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
5. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
2. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
3. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
4. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
5. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
6. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
7. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
8. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
9. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
10. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the character of Robert Cohn.
2) How is he depicted by the narrator?
3) How do his own words and actions reveal his character?
4) What do Mike, Brett, Harvey Stone and Bill feel about Robert Cohn?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)