|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
2. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
3. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
4. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
5. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
2. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
3. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
4. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
5. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
6. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
7. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
8. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
9. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
10. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Robert Cohn.
2) How is he depicted by the narrator?
3) How do his own words and actions reveal his character?
4) What do Mike, Brett, Harvey Stone and Bill feel about Robert Cohn?
Essay Topic 3
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)