|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the spectators do on the morning of the first day of the bull fights?
2. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
3. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
4. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
5. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
2. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
3. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
4. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
5. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
6. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
7. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
8. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
9. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
10. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)