|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
2. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
3. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
4. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
5. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
2. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
3. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
4. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
5. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
6. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
7. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
8. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
9. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
10. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast Brett Ashley and Cohn's fiancée, Frances.
2) Which of the two women is more like the women of today?
3) Defend the answer with examples from the novel and instances of modern day women.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss the value system of Count Mippipopolous.
2) How did he develop his set of values? Is he satisfied with his life or is he miserable?
3) Has he lived life to its potential?
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Hemingway's writing style.
2) Include his use of dialogue, point of view of the narrator, and how it affects the story, and the inference of Hemingway's personal life.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)