|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
2. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
3. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
4. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
5. How long does the fiesta last?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
2. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
3. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
4. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
5. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
6. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
7. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
8. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
9. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
10. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) Frances tells Jake that Cohn fired his secretary when she asked him to.
2) What does this reveal about the character of Robert Cohn?
3) What does it reveal about Frances's character?
4) Are their actions admirable or not? Why?
5) What emotions provoke the two of them to act this way?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)