|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
2. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
3. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
4. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
5. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
2. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
3. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
4. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
5. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
6. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
7. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
8. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
9. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
10. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)