|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
2. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
3. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
4. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
5. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
2. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
3. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
4. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
5. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
6. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
7. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
8. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
9. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
10. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Give three examples of when Jake comes to the aid of Brett when she asks for help.
2) Defend or criticize his reasons for helping her.
3) Do you think she is justified in asking for his help?
4) What is your opinion of Jake when he continually helps Brett?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)