|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
2. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
3. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
4. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
5. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
2. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
3. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
4. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
5. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
6. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
7. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
8. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
9. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
10. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)