|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
2. What is the name of the hotel that Jake, Bill and Cohen stay at in Pamplona?
3. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
4. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
5. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
2. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
3. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
4. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
5. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
6. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
7. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
8. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
9. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
10. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Hemingway's writing style.
2) Include his use of dialogue, point of view of the narrator, and how it affects the story, and the inference of Hemingway's personal life.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast Brett Ashley and Cohn's fiancée, Frances.
2) Which of the two women is more like the women of today?
3) Defend the answer with examples from the novel and instances of modern day women.
Essay Topic 3
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)