|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
2. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
3. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
4. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
5. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
Essay Topic 1
1) Frances tells Jake that Cohn fired his secretary when she asked him to.
2) What does this reveal about the character of Robert Cohn?
3) What does it reveal about Frances's character?
4) Are their actions admirable or not? Why?
5) What emotions provoke the two of them to act this way?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast Brett Ashley and Cohn's fiancée, Frances.
2) Which of the two women is more like the women of today?
3) Defend the answer with examples from the novel and instances of modern day women.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)