|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
2. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
3. What did it mean when the Basque said "Arriba" to Bill and Jake?
4. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
5. What is an aficionado?
Essay Topic 1
1) The theme of anti-Semitism appears many times throughout the novel.
2) Cite examples of anti-Semitism in the story and what effect it has on the characters.
3) Which characters are anti-Semitic?
4) How do they reveal their anti-Semitism?
5) Which characters are Jewish and how do they handle the prejudices against them?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss the value system of Count Mippipopolous.
2) How did he develop his set of values? Is he satisfied with his life or is he miserable?
3) Has he lived life to its potential?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)