|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
2. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
3. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
4. What will the spectators do on the morning of the first day of the bull fights?
5. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
2. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
3. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
4. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
5. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
6. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
7. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
8. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
9. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
10. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Frances tells Jake that Cohn fired his secretary when she asked him to.
2) What does this reveal about the character of Robert Cohn?
3) What does it reveal about Frances's character?
4) Are their actions admirable or not? Why?
5) What emotions provoke the two of them to act this way?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the bull fighting techniques of Pedro Romero.
2) How do his techniques differ from Belmonte's?
3) Which technique do the spectators appreciate more?
4) How does the crowd treat Romero when the bull fight is over?
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)