|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
2. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
3. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
4. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
5. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize the lifestyle of Jake Barnes and his friends.
2) What do they do for work?
3) How do they spend their spare time?
4) Explain why they are happy or dissatisfied with their lifestyles.
5) Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)