|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
2. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
3. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
4. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
5. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
2. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
3. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
4. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
5. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
6. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
7. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
8. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
9. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
10. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Hemingway's writing style.
2) Include his use of dialogue, point of view of the narrator, and how it affects the story, and the inference of Hemingway's personal life.
Essay Topic 2
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the lifestyle of Jake Barnes and his friends.
2) What do they do for work?
3) How do they spend their spare time?
4) Explain why they are happy or dissatisfied with their lifestyles.
5) Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)