|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
2. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
3. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
4. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
5. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
2. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
3. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
4. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
5. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
6. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
7. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
8. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
9. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
10. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Give three examples of when Jake comes to the aid of Brett when she asks for help.
2) Defend or criticize his reasons for helping her.
3) Do you think she is justified in asking for his help?
4) What is your opinion of Jake when he continually helps Brett?
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast Brett Ashley and Cohn's fiancée, Frances.
2) Which of the two women is more like the women of today?
3) Defend the answer with examples from the novel and instances of modern day women.
Essay Topic 3
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)