|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
2. Why does Frances tell Robert not to have scenes with his young ladies?
3. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
4. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
5. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
2. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
3. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
4. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
5. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
6. After the fiesta and the bull fighting, everyone says their goodbyes. Jake decides to go to San Sebastian for a week before returning to Paris. While he is there, he receives a telegram from Brett, asking him to come to Madrid. What does Brett want from Jake and does he go to Brett's aid?
7. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
8. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
9. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
10. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
Essay Topic 2
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 1,744 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)