|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
2. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
3. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
4. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
5. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
2. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
3. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
4. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
5. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
6. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
7. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
8. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
9. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
10. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
Essay Topic 2
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Hemingway's writing style.
2) Include his use of dialogue, point of view of the narrator, and how it affects the story, and the inference of Hemingway's personal life.
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)