|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
2. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
3. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
4. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
5. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
2. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
3. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
4. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
5. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
6. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
7. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
8. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
9. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
10. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast Brett Ashley and Cohn's fiancée, Frances.
2) Which of the two women is more like the women of today?
3) Defend the answer with examples from the novel and instances of modern day women.
Essay Topic 2
1) Frances tells Jake that Cohn fired his secretary when she asked him to.
2) What does this reveal about the character of Robert Cohn?
3) What does it reveal about Frances's character?
4) Are their actions admirable or not? Why?
5) What emotions provoke the two of them to act this way?
Essay Topic 3
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Hemingway's writing style.
2) Include his use of dialogue, point of view of the narrator, and how it affects the story, and the inference of Hemingway's personal life.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)