|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
2. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
3. Where was the Count when he received his wounds?
4. Why doesn't Brett want Jake to touch her?
5. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
2. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
3. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
4. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
5. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
6. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
7. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
8. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
9. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
10. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the lifestyle of Jake Barnes and his friends.
2) What do they do for work?
3) How do they spend their spare time?
4) Explain why they are happy or dissatisfied with their lifestyles.
5) Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)