|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
2. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
3. Jake, Bill and their traveling companions in the train compartment talk about fishing trips. What comment does the American wife make about men?
4. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
5. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
2. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
3. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
4. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
5. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
6. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
7. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
8. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
9. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
10. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
Essay Topic 2
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)