|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
2. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
3. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
4. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
5. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
2. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
3. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
4. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
5. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
6. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
7. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
8. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
9. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
10. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
Essay Topic 2
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
1) Analyze the bull fighting techniques of Pedro Romero.
2) How do his techniques differ from Belmonte's?
3) Which technique do the spectators appreciate more?
4) How does the crowd treat Romero when the bull fight is over?
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)