|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jake tell Cohn that he met Brett?
2. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
3. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
4. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
5. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
2. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
3. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
4. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
5. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
6. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
7. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
8. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
9. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
10. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Robert Cohn's obsession with Lady Brett Ashley.
2) How do his feelings for Brett affect his fiancée, Frances?
3) What kind of an impact does his obsession have on Mike Campbell, Jake Barnes, and Pedro Romero?
4) Is his obsession with Brett ever resolved in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)