|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
2. Jake, Bill and their traveling companions in the train compartment talk about fishing trips. What comment does the American wife make about men?
3. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
4. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
5. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
2. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
3. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
4. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
5. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
6. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
7. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
8. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
9. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
10. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize how Hemingway uses local color to describe the Basque country while Jake and Bill are traveling.
2) Cite some examples of the countryside, dress, people, and customs.
3) Are Jake and Bill welcomed by the Basques? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)