|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
2. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
3. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
4. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
5. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
2. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
3. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
4. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
5. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
6. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
7. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
8. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
9. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
10. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
1) Frances tells Jake that Cohn fired his secretary when she asked him to.
2) What does this reveal about the character of Robert Cohn?
3) What does it reveal about Frances's character?
4) Are their actions admirable or not? Why?
5) What emotions provoke the two of them to act this way?
Essay Topic 3
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
This section contains 1,701 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)