|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
2. Bill Gorton says that Vienna "is a strange city". What city does he compare it to?
3. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
4. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
5. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
2. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
3. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
4. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
5. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
6. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
7. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
8. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
9. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
10. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Hemingway's writing style.
2) Include his use of dialogue, point of view of the narrator, and how it affects the story, and the inference of Hemingway's personal life.
Essay Topic 2
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
Essay Topic 3
1) The theme of anti-Semitism appears many times throughout the novel.
2) Cite examples of anti-Semitism in the story and what effect it has on the characters.
3) Which characters are anti-Semitic?
4) How do they reveal their anti-Semitism?
5) Which characters are Jewish and how do they handle the prejudices against them?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)