|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
2. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
3. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
4. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
5. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
2. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
3. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
4. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
5. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
6. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
7. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
8. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
9. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
10. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Analyze Robert Cohn's obsession with Lady Brett Ashley.
2) How do his feelings for Brett affect his fiancée, Frances?
3) What kind of an impact does his obsession have on Mike Campbell, Jake Barnes, and Pedro Romero?
4) Is his obsession with Brett ever resolved in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
1) Write an introduction to the novel discussing Hemingway's writing style.
2) Include his use of dialogue, point of view of the narrator, and how it affects the story, and the inference of Hemingway's personal life.
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the lifestyle of Jake Barnes and his friends.
2) What do they do for work?
3) How do they spend their spare time?
4) Explain why they are happy or dissatisfied with their lifestyles.
5) Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)