|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
2. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
3. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
4. Robert Cohn is a Jewish man attending Princeton. How does this make him feel?
5. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
2. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
3. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
4. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
5. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
6. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
7. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
8. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
9. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
10. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
Essay Topic 3
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)