Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
2. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
3. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
4. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
5. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
2. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
3. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
4. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
5. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
6. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
7. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
8. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
9. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
10. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
1) Frances tells Jake that Cohn fired his secretary when she asked him to.
2) What does this reveal about the character of Robert Cohn?
3) What does it reveal about Frances's character?
4) Are their actions admirable or not? Why?
5) What emotions provoke the two of them to act this way?
1) Analyze the character of Robert Cohn.
2) How is he depicted by the narrator?
3) How do his own words and actions reveal his character?
4) What do Mike, Brett, Harvey Stone and Bill feel about Robert Cohn?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)