|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
2. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
3. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
4. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
5. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
2. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
3. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
4. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
5. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
6. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
7. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
8. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
9. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
10. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Jake's impotence is mentioned many times in the novel.
2) Analyze how the theme of impotence is presented in the novel and what it symbolizes.
3) How does impotence relate to other themes in the novel?
4) Use examples from the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
Essay Topic 3
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)