|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
2. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
3. Why does Frances tell Robert not to have scenes with his young ladies?
4. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
5. What is Brett's formal title?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
2. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
3. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
4. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
5. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
6. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
7. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
8. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
9. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
10. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Give three examples of when Jake comes to the aid of Brett when she asks for help.
2) Defend or criticize his reasons for helping her.
3) Do you think she is justified in asking for his help?
4) What is your opinion of Jake when he continually helps Brett?
Essay Topic 2
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)