|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
2. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
3. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
4. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
5. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
2. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
3. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
4. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
5. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
6. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
7. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
8. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
9. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
10. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
Essay Topic 2
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)