|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
2. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
3. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
4. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
5. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
2. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
3. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
4. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
5. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
6. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
7. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
8. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
9. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
10. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Summarize the lifestyle of Jake Barnes and his friends.
2) What do they do for work?
3) How do they spend their spare time?
4) Explain why they are happy or dissatisfied with their lifestyles.
5) Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
Essay Topic 3
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)