|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
2. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
3. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
4. What is Harvey's opinion of Robert Cohn?
5. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
2. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
3. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
4. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
5. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
6. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
7. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
8. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
9. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
10. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
1) Frances tells Jake that Cohn fired his secretary when she asked him to.
2) What does this reveal about the character of Robert Cohn?
3) What does it reveal about Frances's character?
4) Are their actions admirable or not? Why?
5) What emotions provoke the two of them to act this way?
Essay Topic 3
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)