|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
2. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
3. What is the view Jake and Bill have from the train as they pass through Landes?
4. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
5. What is Mike Campbell's financial situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
2. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
3. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
4. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
5. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
6. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
7. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
8. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
9. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
10. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Describe what takes place during the fiesta of San Fermin.
2) How long does it last? What is involved in the festival? What preparations are made for the festival?
3) Who takes part in the celebrations?
4) What does the last day of the celebration consist of?
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Robert Cohn.
2) How is he depicted by the narrator?
3) How do his own words and actions reveal his character?
4) What do Mike, Brett, Harvey Stone and Bill feel about Robert Cohn?
Essay Topic 3
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)