|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
2. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
3. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
4. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
5. In a letter to Jake, what does Cohn tell Jake he has been doing in Hendaye?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
2. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
3. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
4. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
5. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
6. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
7. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
8. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
9. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
10. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Do you think Jake is truthful as the narrator?
2) Describe his emotions while he tells the story.
3) Is he jealous, angry, drunk, tolerant or impartial?
4) Cite examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
1) The theme of anti-Semitism appears many times throughout the novel.
2) Cite examples of anti-Semitism in the story and what effect it has on the characters.
3) Which characters are anti-Semitic?
4) How do they reveal their anti-Semitism?
5) Which characters are Jewish and how do they handle the prejudices against them?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
This section contains 1,673 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)