|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Brett doesn't show up at the Hotel Crillon, Jake takes a cab to the Select. Who asks him to sit down when he arrives?
2. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
3. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
4. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
5. What is Brett's formal title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
2. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
3. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
4. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
5. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
6. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
7. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
8. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
9. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
10. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Jake's impotence is mentioned many times in the novel.
2) Analyze how the theme of impotence is presented in the novel and what it symbolizes.
3) How does impotence relate to other themes in the novel?
4) Use examples from the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)