|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
2. What are Jake and Bill Gorton planning to do during their trip to Spain?
3. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
4. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
5. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
2. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
3. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
4. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
5. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
6. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
7. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
8. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
9. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
10. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Evaluate the relationship between Mike Campbell and Brett Ashley.
2) Are they a good match?
3) How do they treat one another?
4) Is it an equal, strong partnership?
5) Do they accept one another for who they are?
Justify all answers.
Essay Topic 2
1) Jake's impotence is mentioned many times in the novel.
2) Analyze how the theme of impotence is presented in the novel and what it symbolizes.
3) How does impotence relate to other themes in the novel?
4) Use examples from the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 3
1) Give three examples of when Jake comes to the aid of Brett when she asks for help.
2) Defend or criticize his reasons for helping her.
3) Do you think she is justified in asking for his help?
4) What is your opinion of Jake when he continually helps Brett?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)