|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
2. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
3. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
4. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
5. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
2. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
3. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
4. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
5. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
6. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
7. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
8. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
9. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
10. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Jake's impotence is mentioned many times in the novel.
2) Analyze how the theme of impotence is presented in the novel and what it symbolizes.
3) How does impotence relate to other themes in the novel?
4) Use examples from the story to support the answer.
Essay Topic 2
1) Analyze the character of Robert Cohn.
2) How is he depicted by the narrator?
3) How do his own words and actions reveal his character?
4) What do Mike, Brett, Harvey Stone and Bill feel about Robert Cohn?
Essay Topic 3
1) Summarize the lifestyle of Jake Barnes and his friends.
2) What do they do for work?
3) How do they spend their spare time?
4) Explain why they are happy or dissatisfied with their lifestyles.
5) Cite examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)