|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
2. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
3. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
4. Jake, Bill and their traveling companions in the train compartment talk about fishing trips. What comment does the American wife make about men?
5. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
2. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
3. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
4. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
5. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
6. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
7. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
8. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
9. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
10. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
Essay Topic 2
1) Compare and contrast Jake Barnes and his friend Bill Gorton.
2) What are their personalities, behaviors, speech, attitudes, and physical appearances?
3) Are they true to life characters?
4) How do they relate to one another?
Essay Topic 3
1) Interpret the feelings Jake and Brett have for each other.
2) Are their emotions authentic or shallow? Why?
3) Are they truthful with each other or secretive? Explain.
4) What regrets do they have at the end of the novel with regard to their relationship?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)