Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
2. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
3. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
4. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
5. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
2. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
3. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
4. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
5. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
6. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
7. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
8. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
9. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
10. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
Essay Topic 1
1) Compare and contrast Brett Ashley and Cohn's fiancée, Frances.
2) Which of the two women is more like the women of today?
3) Defend the answer with examples from the novel and instances of modern day women.
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss the value system of Count Mippipopolous.
2) How did he develop his set of values? Is he satisfied with his life or is he miserable?
3) Has he lived life to its potential?
Essay Topic 3
1) Explain whether or not you think Jake Barnes changes during the course of the novel.
2) Keep in mind his self-knowledge, his thoughts about other characters, his values, and his ability to accept and cope with his situation.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)