|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jake think of Cohn as Moses seeing the Promised Land for the first time while they are having a drink together at the dance?
2. When Jake and Bill try to get tickets for the first lunch service on the train, what does the conductor tell them?
3. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
4. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
5. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
2. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
3. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
4. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
5. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
6. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
7. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
8. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
9. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
10. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) The theme of anti-Semitism appears many times throughout the novel.
2) Cite examples of anti-Semitism in the story and what effect it has on the characters.
3) Which characters are anti-Semitic?
4) How do they reveal their anti-Semitism?
5) Which characters are Jewish and how do they handle the prejudices against them?
Essay Topic 2
1) The feelings of the characters seem to change dramatically by the end of the novel.
2) How do the main characters feel about themselves at the beginning of the story?
3) How do they feel at the end of the story?
4) How do they feel about each other at the start of the novel and how do they feel at the end?
Essay Topic 3
1) Frances tells Jake that Cohn fired his secretary when she asked him to.
2) What does this reveal about the character of Robert Cohn?
3) What does it reveal about Frances's character?
4) Are their actions admirable or not? Why?
5) What emotions provoke the two of them to act this way?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)