|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
2. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
3. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
4. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
5. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
2. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
3. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
4. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
5. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
6. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
7. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
8. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
9. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
10. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) When the reader meets Harvey Stone, he has not eaten for five days. Describe his appearance.
2) Describe his state of mind.
3) Does Jake help him in any way; if so, how?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss the value system of Count Mippipopolous.
2) How did he develop his set of values? Is he satisfied with his life or is he miserable?
3) Has he lived life to its potential?
Essay Topic 3
1) Jake's impotence is mentioned many times in the novel.
2) Analyze how the theme of impotence is presented in the novel and what it symbolizes.
3) How does impotence relate to other themes in the novel?
4) Use examples from the story to support the answer.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)