|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
(a) The bloody cape
(b) His sword
(c) The bull's severed ear
(d) The bull's severed tongue
2. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
(a) Bull-fighting paintings
(b) Spanish landscapes
(c) Dead rabbits, dead pheasants, and dead ducks
(d) Portraits of famous visitors to the hotel
3. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
(b) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
(c) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
(d) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
4. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
(b) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
(c) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
(d) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
5. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(b) They each catch one trout.
(c) They don't get any bites all morning.
(d) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
2. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
3. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
4. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
5. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
2. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
3. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
4. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
5. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
6. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
7. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
8. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
9. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
10. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)