|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
(b) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
(c) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
(d) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
2. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
(a) He says that Romero should find another line of work.
(b) He says that Romero is just an amateur.
(c) He says that Romero is the best fighter he has ever seen.
(d) He says that Romero's work is good but incomplete.
3. What is the weather like when Jake and Bill arrive in Burguete?
(a) Rainy and windy
(b) Hot and sunny
(c) Very cold
(d) Humid and stifling
4. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(b) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(c) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(d) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
5. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
(a) They feel good, healthy and friendly.
(b) They are uncomfortable and edgy.
(c) They feel guilty for the argument the night before.
(d) They are ill from too much wine the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
2. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
3. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
4. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
5. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
2. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
3. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
4. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
5. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
6. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
7. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
8. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
9. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
10. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)