|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
(b) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
(c) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(d) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
2. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(b) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(c) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
(d) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
3. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(b) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
(c) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
(d) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
4. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
5. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
(a) The lateness of the message annoys them.
(b) The short, abrupt message annoys them.
(c) The overly long message annoys them.
(d) The tone of the message annoys them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake feel after the fiesta and the bull fighting?
2. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
3. What is the reason Brett tells Jake she is a goner?
4. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
5. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
2. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
3. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
4. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
5. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
6. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
7. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
8. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
9. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
10. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)