|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the methods smugglers use to cross from France into Spain?
(a) They wait for nightfall and sneak through the Spanish frontier.
(b) They try to convince other travelers to hide them in their vehicles.
(c) They take boats down the stream.
(d) They wade across the stream.
2. What is an aficionado?
(a) A person who is passionate about the bull-fights
(b) A woman who throws flowers at the bull-fights
(c) Someone who over indulges in wine
(d) A person who brings the bulls to the arena
3. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
(b) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
(c) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
(d) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
4. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(b) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
(c) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
(d) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
5. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
(a) An apology
(c) To continue the fight
(d) The whereabouts of Brett
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Brett tells Jake she is a goner?
2. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
3. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
4. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
5. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
2. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
3. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
4. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
5. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
6. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
7. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
8. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
9. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
10. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)