|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) To get married
(b) To attend his mother's funeral
(c) He was broke.
(d) He missed his homeland.
2. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
(a) An apology
(b) To continue the fight
(c) The whereabouts of Brett
3. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
(a) They go to bed and read.
(b) They put on extra layers of clothing.
(c) They go for a run through the town.
(d) They sit in front of the fireplace.
4. What is the name of the hotel that Jake, Bill and Cohen stay at in Pamplona?
(a) Hotel Bayonne
(b) Hotel Basque
(c) Hotel Montoya
(d) Hotel Torino
5. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
(b) He says that payment is made by living life.
(c) He says that payment is made by working hard.
(d) He believes money will buy anything.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
2. What is the weather like when Jake and Bill arrive in Burguete?
3. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
4. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
5. What is an aficionado?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
2. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
3. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
4. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
5. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
6. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
7. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
8. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
9. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
10. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)