|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
(a) So everyone could get a good view of the countryside
(b) To give room to six mules pulling a heavily loaded freight wagon
(c) To give room to pilgrims passing on the road
(d) To make room for the wild goats on the hillside
2. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
(a) They go for a run through the town.
(b) They sit in front of the fireplace.
(c) They put on extra layers of clothing.
(d) They go to bed and read.
3. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
(a) He slaps Brett and drags her out the door.
(b) He gives Romero a brutal beating.
(c) He screams that he never wants to see Brett again.
(d) He runs out the door crying.
4. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He says that payment is made by working hard.
(b) He says that payment is made by living life.
(c) He believes money will buy anything.
(d) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
5. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
(a) He says that Jake needs to stop being such a whiner.
(b) He says that Jake is a good guy and Bill is fonder of him than anyone else.
(c) He says that Jake is too sensitive.
(d) He says that Jake is more annoying than anyone else he knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
2. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
3. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
4. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
5. What is an aficionado?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
2. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
3. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
4. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
5. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
6. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
7. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
8. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
9. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
10. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)