|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) He was broke.
(b) To get married
(c) He missed his homeland.
(d) To attend his mother's funeral
2. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
(a) There are thousands of bulls in his life and he will live a long time.
(b) He will fall in love very soon.
(c) She sees fear in his palm.
(d) He will live a long life but give up bull fighting.
3. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
(a) They insult the way he fought the bulls.
(b) They lift him on their shoulders and carry him out the gate.
(c) They quietly let him pass through the gate.
(d) They leave him alone to be with Brett.
4. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
(a) Twelve pesetas, which Jake feels is too much
(b) Five pesetas, which Jake feels is reasonable
(c) Seven pesetas, but the wine is included
(d) Three pesetas, which is cheap
5. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through a soot covered mill town
(b) Through farming country with rocky hills
(c) Through the crowded city streets
(d) Through rough, rocky plains
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
2. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
3. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
4. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
5. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
2. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
3. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
4. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
5. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
6. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
7. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
8. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
9. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
10. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)