|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
(a) The sombra
(b) The fiesta
(c) The aficio
(d) The paseo
2. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
(b) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
(c) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
(d) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
3. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(b) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
(c) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
(d) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
4. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) They each catch one trout.
(b) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(c) They don't get any bites all morning.
(d) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
5. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
(a) Ironical and full of pity
(b) Adamant and angry
(c) Comical and nonchalant
(d) Serious and ready to work
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
2. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
3. How do the spectators react when they feel they are cheated by Belmonte's bull fight?
4. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
5. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
2. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
3. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
4. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
5. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
6. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
7. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
8. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
9. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
10. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)