|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
(a) On the floor
(b) In a hotel room
(c) In the servant's quarters
(d) In the guest room
2. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
(a) Pamplona's walls lead up to the town which has only a bull ring in its center.
(b) Pamplona is obscured by forests on a flat piece of land.
(c) The walls of Pamplona rise out of the plain, then a brown cathedral and other churches. The mountains are all around.
(d) Pamplona is on top of a high mountain with small huts around the perimeter.
3. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) They don't get any bites all morning.
(b) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(c) They each catch one trout.
(d) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
4. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
(a) San Pamplona
(b) San Fermin
(c) San Riau
(d) San Sombra
5. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
(a) Disturbed and elated
(b) Disgusted and drained
(c) Subdued and disturbed
(d) Excited and aggressive
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
2. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
3. What did it mean when the Basque said "Arriba" to Bill and Jake?
4. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
5. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
2. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
3. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
4. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
5. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
6. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
7. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
8. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
9. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
10. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)