|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He believes money will buy anything.
(b) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
(c) He says that payment is made by living life.
(d) He says that payment is made by working hard.
2. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
(a) They quietly let him pass through the gate.
(b) They lift him on their shoulders and carry him out the gate.
(c) They insult the way he fought the bulls.
(d) They leave him alone to be with Brett.
3. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
(b) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
(c) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
(d) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
4. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
(a) He says that Romero is just an amateur.
(b) He says that Romero's work is good but incomplete.
(c) He says that Romero should find another line of work.
(d) He says that Romero is the best fighter he has ever seen.
5. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
(b) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
(c) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
(d) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an aficionado?
2. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
3. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
4. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
5. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
2. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
3. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
4. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
5. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
6. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
7. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
8. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
9. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
10. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)