|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
(a) She says that she is leaving Mike for Cohn.
(b) She says that she is going away with Cohn for good.
(c) She says that she is sick of him and he has behaved very badly.
(d) She says that she is very fond of him and that it could lead to something more.
2. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
(a) Cohn backs up a few steps, then turns and runs.
(b) Cohn hides behind Jake, asking him to stop Mike.
(c) Cohn mumbles something and leaves the hotel.
(d) Cohn waits proudly and firmly for Mike to assault him. He wants to show he will fight for Brett.
3. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
(a) To make a place for tying the spectator's horses during the bull fight
(b) So the women could hang flowers from the posts for the fiesta
(c) To prevent the bulls from running down the side streets when they were released into the street the next morning.
(d) For the fiesta parade the next day
4. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(b) He is extremely nervous and eager.
(c) He is feverish and shaky.
(d) He is nonchalant.
5. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His tri-cornered hat
(b) His gold-brocaded cape
(c) His black, silk sash
(d) His leather gloves
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
2. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
3. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
4. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
5. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
2. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
3. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
4. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
5. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
6. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
7. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
8. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
9. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
10. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)