|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
(b) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(c) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(d) There is camaraderie between friends.
2. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
(a) Twelve pesetas, which Jake feels is too much
(b) Five pesetas, which Jake feels is reasonable
(c) Three pesetas, which is cheap
(d) Seven pesetas, but the wine is included
3. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
(a) He gives Romero a brutal beating.
(b) He screams that he never wants to see Brett again.
(c) He runs out the door crying.
(d) He slaps Brett and drags her out the door.
4. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
(a) Not enough reading
(b) Too little caffeine
(c) Fake European standards
(d) Not enough exercise
5. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
(a) Pamplona's walls lead up to the town which has only a bull ring in its center.
(b) Pamplona is on top of a high mountain with small huts around the perimeter.
(c) The walls of Pamplona rise out of the plain, then a brown cathedral and other churches. The mountains are all around.
(d) Pamplona is obscured by forests on a flat piece of land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
2. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
3. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
4. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
5. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
2. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
3. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
4. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
5. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
6. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
7. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
8. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
9. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
10. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)