|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
(a) He tells her that he is sorry Romero got hurt.
(b) He asks her to go back to Paris with him.
(c) He tells her she should expect trouble if she associates with Jews and bull fighters.
(d) He says that Cohn is out of his mind.
2. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His leather gloves
(b) His tri-cornered hat
(c) His black, silk sash
(d) His gold-brocaded cape
3. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is feverish and shaky.
(b) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(c) He is nonchalant.
(d) He is extremely nervous and eager.
4. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
(a) Cohn is afraid he will not be able to look at the dying horses.
(b) Cohn tells Bill to mind his own business.
(c) Cohn is worried he might faint at the sight of the horse's blood.
(d) Cohn says that he is only worried that he will be bored.
5. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
(a) In city blocks
(b) Along both sides of the road with no side streets
(c) Along both sides of the road and down side streets
(d) In a circle around the town
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
2. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
3. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
4. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
5. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
2. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
3. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
4. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
5. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
6. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
7. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
8. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
9. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
10. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)