|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is feverish and shaky.
(b) He is extremely nervous and eager.
(c) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(d) He is nonchalant.
2. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
(a) They decide to take the noon bus for Burguete.
(b) They decide to wait until the next day before they go to Burguete.
(c) They decide to go to San Sebastian to meet Brett and Mike.
(d) They decide that Jake and Cohn will go on to Burgete, and Bill will wait for Brett.
3. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
(a) He says that Jake is a good guy and Bill is fonder of him than anyone else.
(b) He says that Jake is more annoying than anyone else he knows.
(c) He says that Jake is too sensitive.
(d) He says that Jake needs to stop being such a whiner.
4. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(b) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
(c) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
(d) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
5. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
(b) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(c) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(d) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an aficionado?
2. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
3. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
4. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
5. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
2. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
3. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
4. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
5. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
6. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
7. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
8. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
9. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
10. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)