|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
(a) Pedro Romero
(b) Jose Fermin
(c) Señor Gayarra
(d) Pedro Iruna
2. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There is camaraderie between friends.
(b) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(c) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(d) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
3. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
(b) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
(c) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
(d) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
4. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
(a) He says that Romero should find another line of work.
(b) He says that Romero is the best fighter he has ever seen.
(c) He says that Romero's work is good but incomplete.
(d) He says that Romero is just an amateur.
5. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
(a) Dreaming eases the burdens of the day.
(b) Jake should dream because all the successful businessmen are dreamers.
(c) Dreaming is for children.
(d) Don't pay any attention to dreams. They don't have any meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
2. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
3. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
4. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
5. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
2. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
3. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
4. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
5. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
6. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
7. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
8. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
9. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
10. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)