|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is extremely nervous and eager.
(b) He is nonchalant.
(c) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(d) He is feverish and shaky.
2. How does Jake feel after the fiesta and the bull fighting?
3. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
(b) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
(c) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
(d) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
4. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through farming country with rocky hills
(b) Through the crowded city streets
(c) Through a soot covered mill town
(d) Through rough, rocky plains
5. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
(a) They insult the way he fought the bulls.
(b) They quietly let him pass through the gate.
(c) They lift him on their shoulders and carry him out the gate.
(d) They leave him alone to be with Brett.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
2. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
3. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
4. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
5. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cohn do when he finds Pedro Romero with Brett?
2. What are the feelings that Brett reveals to Jake about Pedro Romero?
3. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
4. What took place during the paseo in Pamplona?
5. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
6. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
7. Bill calls Jake an expatriate. What does he mean by this?
8. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
9. Compare the weather as Bill and Jake depart on the bus to Burguete and the weather upon their arrival at Burguete. What images are given to describe the weather?
10. What do Jake, Bill and the Basques do to pass the time on the bus to Burguete?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)