|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
(b) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
(c) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
(d) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
2. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
(b) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
(c) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
(d) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
3. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
(a) They lift him on their shoulders and carry him out the gate.
(b) They quietly let him pass through the gate.
(c) They insult the way he fought the bulls.
(d) They leave him alone to be with Brett.
4. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through the crowded city streets
(b) Through farming country with rocky hills
(c) Through a soot covered mill town
(d) Through rough, rocky plains
5. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
(b) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
(c) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
(d) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
2. How long does the fiesta last?
3. What will the spectators do on the morning of the first day of the bull fights?
4. What is the reason Brett tells Jake she is a goner?
5. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the bull fighter, Romero, the main attraction of all the bull fighters?
2. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
3. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
4. What does Cohn decide to do now that Brett is staying over in San Sebastian and what are Jake's feelings about it?
5. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
6. What type of personal conversations do Bill and Jake get into while they are in the countryside fishing?
7. Jake receives a telegram from Brett saying that they are staying over in San Sebastian overnight and will be late. How does Jake treat Cohn after he reads the telegram?
8. What are Jake's thoughts as he lies in bed after the evening with Bill, Mike and Brett?
9. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
10. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)