|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
(a) A bottle of wine
(b) Fifty francs
(c) A brandy and soda
(d) His address
2. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(b) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
(c) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
(d) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
3. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
(a) They are planning a fishing trip.
(b) They are going to the bull-fights in Spain.
(c) They are touring the basilicas in Spain.
(d) They are on a pilgrimage to Rome, Biarritz, and Lourdes.
4. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A lovely piece
(b) A lovely rose
(c) A bountiful beauty
(d) A raving beauty
5. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
(a) She moves to the corner of the seat, far away from Jake and puts her head down.
(b) She asks him to kiss her again.
(c) She acts pleasantly surprised.
(d) She pushes closer to Jake, putting her arms around him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
2. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
3. What is Mike assigned to bring to Pamplona?
4. How does Brett say she is feeling after she and Jake get into the taxi?
5. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
2. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
3. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
4. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
5. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
6. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
7. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
8. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
9. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
10. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)