|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
(a) Jake says that sometimes it bothers him.
(b) Jake says that he is always worried about it.
(c) Jake says that he is through with worrying.
(d) Jake says that he is worried and depressed.
2. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
(a) Don't waste your life staying in one place.
(b) You can't get away from yourself by traveling from place to place.
(c) Traveling is a great way to get away from your problems.
(d) Live your life now because you will be dead in thirty years.
3. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
(a) He tries to concentrate on his typing, but can't hold a clear thought.
(b) He has a cup of coffee and then decides to go home.
(c) He sits at his desk, wallowing in self-pity.
(d) He reads the French morning papers, smokes and sets to work on the typewriter.
4. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
(a) He's disappointed but tries not to show it.
(b) He resigns himself to the fact that he will miss the fight.
(c) He's angry.
(d) He's very excited.
5. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
(a) Harvey Stone
(c) Brett and Mike
(d) Robert Cohn
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
2. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
3. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
4. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
5. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
2. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
3. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
4. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
5. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
6. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
7. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
8. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
9. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
10. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)