|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
(a) Invest wisely
(b) Try to stop injustice
(c) Write the great American novel
(d) Never be daunted
2. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
(a) Frances is angry that Cohn made most of the wedding plans without her.
(b) Frances resents the fact that Cohn gave her 200 pounds to go back to England and stay with friends.
(c) Frances feels Cohn is too possessive of her.
(d) Frances is annoyed that Cohn will not let her go to England to visit friends.
3. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
(a) A bottle of wine
(b) Fifty francs
(c) A brandy and soda
(d) His address
4. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
(a) Cohn is superficial, only caring about what he wears and how he looks.
(b) Cohn insults other people constantly, looking for ways to start arguments.
(c) Cohn is a conceited, self-centered man who is a sore loser at tennis.
(d) Cohn is an excellent tennis player with a good, athletic body. He is nice to other people, cheerful and didn't get angry when beaten in tennis.
5. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
2. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
3. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
4. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
5. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
2. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
3. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
4. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
5. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
6. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
7. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
8. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
9. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
10. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)