|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(c) A partnership in a new magazine
2. Where was the Count when he received his wounds?
(a) In the Italian front
(b) On a naval ship
(c) Fighting in a revolution
(d) On a business trip
3. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
(a) He says that he has to go to South America. He just has to.
(b) He says that he doesn't want it to happen to him.
(c) He says that his life is passing him by. He's losing his way.
(d) He says that he can't do it. Nothing will make him do it.
4. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He wants to see his children.
(b) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
(c) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
(d) He goes to visit his mother.
5. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
(a) South America
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
2. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
3. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
4. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
5. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
2. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
3. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
4. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
5. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
6. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
7. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
8. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
9. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
10. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)