Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
(a) He says that he is only telling the truth.
(b) He explains that he has a nasty tongue but he doesn't mean what he says.
(c) He blames his attitude on his war injury.
(d) He says that he had a rough night and isn't thinking straight.
2. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
(a) She is not worth the time of day. Stay away from her.
(b) She will hurt you if you try to get close.
(c) She's nice and her name is Lady Ashley. She is getting a divorce, so she can marry someone named Mike Campbell.
(d) He doesn't have anything to say about her. He doesn't want to discuss it.
3. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
(a) Brett and Mike
(c) Robert Cohn
(d) Harvey Stone
4. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
(a) He tells Brett she cannot go to Pamplona.
(b) His eyes tear up and his lip trembles.
(c) He is nasty and sarcastic.
(d) He is indifferent to the whole situation.
5. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He falls into depression.
(b) He joins the army.
(c) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(d) He goes on an extended European trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
2. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
3. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
4. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
5. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
2. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
3. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
4. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
5. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
6. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
7. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
8. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
9. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
10. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)