|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
(a) He feels sorry for her and hopes to talk her into a different lifestyle.
(b) He thinks she looks down and out and could use a good meal.
(c) He thinks it would be nice to eat with someone.
(d) He hopes it will lead to a more intimate time later in the evening.
2. What does Robert Cohn think about Paris after returning from America?
(a) He loves Paris and never wants to leave.
(b) He considers Paris his home.
(c) Paris is one of his favorite cities.
(d) He is sick of Paris.
3. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
(a) Cohn kicks him under the table.
(b) Frances kicks him under the table.
(c) Frances throws water in his face.
(d) Jake spills hot coffee in his lap.
4. What news does Frances Clyne reveal to Jake when she asks him to go with her to the Dome?
(a) She informs Jake that Cohn wants Jake to be his best man for their wedding.
(b) She tells Jake that she doesn't want Jake in the wedding.
(c) She tells Jake that Cohn does not want to marry her anymore and that he hasn't lived enough.
(d) She wants Jake to arrange a surprise bachelor party for Cohn.
5. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
(a) Try to stop injustice
(b) Invest wisely
(c) Write the great American novel
(d) Never be daunted
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Count when he received his wounds?
2. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
3. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
4. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
5. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
2. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
3. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
4. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
5. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
6. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
7. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
8. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
9. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
10. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)