|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
(a) As soon as they can get the divorce
(b) When Michael's family gives them the money for the wedding
(c) As soon as he returns to Paris
(d) When he finds a better job
2. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
(a) Jake says that sometimes it bothers him.
(b) Jake says that he is always worried about it.
(c) Jake says that he is worried and depressed.
(d) Jake says that he is through with worrying.
3. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
(a) Never be daunted
(b) Try to stop injustice
(c) Write the great American novel
(d) Invest wisely
4. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
(a) Traveling is a great way to get away from your problems.
(b) Don't waste your life staying in one place.
(c) Live your life now because you will be dead in thirty years.
(d) You can't get away from yourself by traveling from place to place.
5. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
(a) Frances resents the fact that Cohn gave her 200 pounds to go back to England and stay with friends.
(b) Frances is angry that Cohn made most of the wedding plans without her.
(c) Frances is annoyed that Cohn will not let her go to England to visit friends.
(d) Frances feels Cohn is too possessive of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
2. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
3. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
4. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
5. What is the view Jake and Bill have from the train as they pass through Landes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
2. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
3. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
4. Both Bill and Jake are irritated when Cohn says that he doesn't think Brett and Mike are going to show up when they are supposed to. What happens as a result of Cohn's annoying comments?
5. How does Pedro Romero view the bulls that he fights?
6. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
7. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
8. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
9. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
10. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)