|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(b) He falls into depression.
(c) He joins the army.
(d) He goes on an extended European trip.
2. Where does Jake tell Cohn that he met Brett?
(a) She was a V.A.D. in a hospital he was in during the war.
(b) He met her in a bar in America.
(c) He first saw her in a café in Paris.
(d) They met while on a cruise to England.
3. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
(a) Rhodes Scholar
(b) Princeton Review editor
(c) Heavyweight boxing champion
(d) Middleweight boxing champion
4. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
(a) He says that his writing is speeding along and he is on the final chapter.
(b) He says that he can't seem to get started on his second book and he is worried.
(c) He says that all is going well and he is half way through his second book.
(d) He says that he has decided not to write anymore.
5. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
(a) Count Mippipopolous
(b) Marshal Ney
(c) Robert Cohn
(d) Aloysius Kirby
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
2. What news does Frances Clyne reveal to Jake when she asks him to go with her to the Dome?
3. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
4. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
5. When Brett doesn't show up at the Hotel Crillon, Jake takes a cab to the Select. Who asks him to sit down when he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
2. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
3. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
4. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
5. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
6. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
7. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
8. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
9. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
10. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)