|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
(a) Cohn is superficial, only caring about what he wears and how he looks.
(b) Cohn is an excellent tennis player with a good, athletic body. He is nice to other people, cheerful and didn't get angry when beaten in tennis.
(c) Cohn is a conceited, self-centered man who is a sore loser at tennis.
(d) Cohn insults other people constantly, looking for ways to start arguments.
2. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
(a) Braddocks and Jake
(b) Jake and Spider Kelly
(c) Spider Kelly and Braddocks
(d) Spider Kelly and Frances
3. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
(a) He threatens Jake and tells him to watch his tongue.
(b) He insults Jake, saying that he is not worth the trouble.
(c) He tells Jake that he is the best friend he has.
(d) He tells Jake that he doesn't want to see him again.
4. When Jake and Bill try to get tickets for the first lunch service on the train, what does the conductor tell them?
(a) He gives them tickets and tells them to enjoy the ride.
(b) They are all reserved. There is nothing available until the fifth at three-thirty.
(c) They are all reserved but he will find them a spot for ten francs.
(d) They can have tickets to the second serving.
5. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
(a) Just driving around
(b) To Brett's place
(c) To a show
(d) To Jake's place
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
2. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
3. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
4. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
5. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
2. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
3. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
4. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
5. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
6. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
7. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
8. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
9. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
10. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)