|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
(a) He drinks too much and pines over Brett.
(b) He works, goes to the races, dines with friends and puts extra time in at the office.
(c) He begins writing his first novel.
(d) He mopes around, feeling sorry for himself.
2. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
(a) Invest wisely
(b) Never be daunted
(c) Write the great American novel
(d) Try to stop injustice
3. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(c) A partnership in a new magazine
4. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
(a) Frances is annoyed that Cohn will not let her go to England to visit friends.
(b) Frances resents the fact that Cohn gave her 200 pounds to go back to England and stay with friends.
(c) Frances feels Cohn is too possessive of her.
(d) Frances is angry that Cohn made most of the wedding plans without her.
5. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
(a) Princeton Review editor
(b) Heavyweight boxing champion
(c) Rhodes Scholar
(d) Middleweight boxing champion
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
2. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
3. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
4. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
5. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
2. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
3. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
4. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
5. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
6. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
7. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
8. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
9. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
10. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)