|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
(a) He says that he had a rough night and isn't thinking straight.
(b) He says that he is only telling the truth.
(c) He blames his attitude on his war injury.
(d) He explains that he has a nasty tongue but he doesn't mean what he says.
2. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
(c) Brett Ashley
(d) Robert Cohn
3. Robert Cohn is a Jewish man attending Princeton. How does this make him feel?
(a) Outgoing and proud
(b) Superior and snooty
(c) Angry and reclusive
(d) Inferior and shy
4. Jake runs into some of his friends while eating at the restaurant with Georgette. Where does Braddocks ask Jake and Georgette to go?
(a) To Foyot's
(b) A walk along the Seinne
(c) To the Louvre
(d) To the dance club, bal musette
5. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
(a) A bottle of wine
(b) Fifty francs
(c) A brandy and soda
(d) His address
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
2. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
3. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
4. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
5. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
Short Essay Questions
1. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
2. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
3. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
4. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
5. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
6. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
7. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
8. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
9. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
10. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)