|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
2. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
(a) A brandy and soda
(b) His address
(c) Fifty francs
(d) A bottle of wine
3. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
(a) They are on a pilgrimage to Rome, Biarritz, and Lourdes.
(b) They are touring the basilicas in Spain.
(c) They are planning a fishing trip.
(d) They are going to the bull-fights in Spain.
4. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
(a) He doesn't have anything to say about her. He doesn't want to discuss it.
(b) She is not worth the time of day. Stay away from her.
(c) She will hurt you if you try to get close.
(d) She's nice and her name is Lady Ashley. She is getting a divorce, so she can marry someone named Mike Campbell.
5. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
(b) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
(c) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
(d) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
2. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
3. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
4. What are Jake and Bill Gorton planning to do during their trip to Spain?
5. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
2. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
3. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
4. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
5. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
6. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
7. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
8. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
9. Can you predict what might happen to Robert Cohen by Jake's comment that Cohn never made a nasty remark to anyone until he fell in love with Brett?
10. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)