|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
(a) Middleweight boxing champion
(b) Rhodes Scholar
(c) Princeton Review editor
(d) Heavyweight boxing champion
2. What does Brett say she did while in San Sebastian?
(a) She never went out and didn't do anything.
(b) She prayed at the Basílica de Santa María del Coro.
(c) She went sun bathing at the beach.
(d) She visited all the cafes in the area.
3. What news does Frances Clyne reveal to Jake when she asks him to go with her to the Dome?
(a) She wants Jake to arrange a surprise bachelor party for Cohn.
(b) She informs Jake that Cohn wants Jake to be his best man for their wedding.
(c) She tells Jake that Cohn does not want to marry her anymore and that he hasn't lived enough.
(d) She tells Jake that she doesn't want Jake in the wedding.
4. What is Harvey's opinion of Robert Cohn?
(a) He is a wonderful novelist.
(b) He is a witty, humorous man.
(c) He is a trustworthy friend.
(d) He is a moron.
5. Who do Bill and Jake see in a taxi as they are walking down the street to a restaurant?
(a) Mike Campbell
(b) Lady Brett Ashley
(c) Robert Cohn
(d) Harvey Stone
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
2. As Jake watches Brett walk up the street from his flat and get into the Count's limousine, what is he thinking?
3. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
4. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
5. When Brett doesn't show up at the Hotel Crillon, Jake takes a cab to the Select. Who asks him to sit down when he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
2. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
3. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
4. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
5. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
6. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
7. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
8. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
9. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
10. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)