|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Bill Gorton during his stay in Vienna?
(a) Bill is drunk for four days in Vienna and doesn't remember much about the trip.
(b) Bill wins a large sum of money betting on a prize-fight.
(c) Bill has a wonderful trip full of pleasant memories.
(d) Bill is mugged while drunk in Vienna.
2. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
(a) She is excited about leaving Jake and getting on with her life.
(b) She is miserable and says she will not see Jake again.
(c) She is happy and looking forward to her wedding to Michael.
(d) She is indifferent to Jake.
3. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
(a) Robert Cohn
(c) Brett Ashley
4. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
(a) Brett and Mike
(c) Robert Cohn
(d) Harvey Stone
5. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
(a) They say that they are incompatible and argue too much.
(b) They say that they are not the marrying kind and are not ready to settle down.
(c) They say that they don't want to be tied down and are only friends.
(d) They say that they want to live their own lives and have their careers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake and Bill try to get tickets for the first lunch service on the train, what does the conductor tell them?
2. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
3. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
4. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
5. In a letter to Jake, what does Cohn tell Jake he has been doing in Hendaye?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
2. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
3. Why does Cohn resort to kicking Jake under the table when Jake suggests they meet a girl he knows in Strasbourg?
4. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
5. Summarize the description Jake gives of Basque country.
6. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
7. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
8. How do the pictures on the walls of Jake's and Bill's hotel in Burguete add to the coldness of the room?
9. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
10. How did Pedro Romero perform in the bull ring after getting a severe beating from Robert Cohn?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)