|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
(a) As a poule he picked up on the street
(b) As his sister
(c) As his cousin
(d) As his fiancée
2. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
(a) They are one of the richest Jewish, New York families.
(b) They are low income, struggling to survive.
(c) They are unemployed with a bleak future.
(d) They are middle class working people.
3. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A lovely piece
(b) A lovely rose
(c) A raving beauty
(d) A bountiful beauty
4. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
(a) They tell him not to think about it.
(b) They say it is better than getting killed.
(c) They tell him he is lucky; it could have been worse.
(d) They tell him it is not important and he shouldn't worry about it.
5. How does Brett say she is feeling after she and Jake get into the taxi?
(a) In love
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
2. What does Jake do to pass the time while he waits for Brett to meet him at the Hotel Crillon?
3. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
4. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
5. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
2. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
3. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
4. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
5. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
6. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
7. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
8. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
9. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
10. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)