|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
(a) He decides to go anyway.
(b) He asks Jake to tell Brett not to go on the trip.
(c) He says that he would rather not go.
(d) He refuses to answer her letter.
2. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
(a) Invest wisely
(b) Try to stop injustice
(c) Never be daunted
(d) Write the great American novel
3. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A lovely piece
(b) A lovely rose
(c) A raving beauty
(d) A bountiful beauty
4. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
(a) They are unemployed with a bleak future.
(b) They are low income, struggling to survive.
(c) They are middle class working people.
(d) They are one of the richest Jewish, New York families.
5. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
(a) Jake wants him to use the money to find a flat.
(b) Harvey has been threatened by debt collectors.
(c) Harvey hasn't eaten in five days, wants to be alone and doesn't care if he eats.
(d) Jake wants Harvey to place a bet for him with his bookie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
2. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
3. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
4. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
5. As Jake watches Brett walk up the street from his flat and get into the Count's limousine, what is he thinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
2. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
3. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
4. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
5. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
6. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
7. Jake has lunch with Cohn and once again, Cohn asks Jake about South America. Jake tells Cohn to go with his fiancée, Frances. What is Cohn's reply?
8. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
9. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
10. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)