|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
(a) He sits at his desk, wallowing in self-pity.
(b) He tries to concentrate on his typing, but can't hold a clear thought.
(c) He has a cup of coffee and then decides to go home.
(d) He reads the French morning papers, smokes and sets to work on the typewriter.
2. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
(a) Cohn is insulted when Jake tells him to leave Frances because she is no good for him.
(b) Jake is furious when Cohn makes a joke about his war injury.
(c) Jake is sick and tired of hearing about South America, telling Cohn to drop the subject.
(d) Cohn is angry that Jake insults Brett by saying she married someone she didn't love, twice. Jake also tells him to go to hell.
3. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
4. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He joins the army.
(b) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(c) He falls into depression.
(d) He goes on an extended European trip.
5. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
(a) They are middle class working people.
(b) They are one of the richest Jewish, New York families.
(c) They are unemployed with a bleak future.
(d) They are low income, struggling to survive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
2. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
3. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
4. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
5. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
2. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
3. Why did Robert Cohn take up boxing while attending Princeton?
4. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
5. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
6. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
7. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
8. Summarize how Jake amuses himself while Brett is in San Sebastian and Cohn is out of town?
9. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
10. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)