|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
(a) Traveling is a great way to get away from your problems.
(b) Live your life now because you will be dead in thirty years.
(c) You can't get away from yourself by traveling from place to place.
(d) Don't waste your life staying in one place.
2. Jake runs into some of his friends while eating at the restaurant with Georgette. Where does Braddocks ask Jake and Georgette to go?
(a) To the dance club, bal musette
(b) A walk along the Seinne
(c) To the Louvre
(d) To Foyot's
3. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
(a) Rhodes Scholar
(b) Middleweight boxing champion
(c) Princeton Review editor
(d) Heavyweight boxing champion
4. Where does Jake tell Cohn that he met Brett?
(a) She was a V.A.D. in a hospital he was in during the war.
(b) They met while on a cruise to England.
(c) He met her in a bar in America.
(d) He first saw her in a café in Paris.
5. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From negative experiences he has had
(b) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(c) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
(d) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
Short Answer Questions
1. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
2. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
3. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
4. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
5. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
2. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
3. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
4. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
5. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
6. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
7. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
8. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
9. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
10. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)