|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
(a) He had an argument with the owner.
(b) Too many of his fellow Americans go there
(c) He doesn't care for the menu.
(d) He prefers eating at home.
2. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
(a) Two single women traveling alone
(b) Count Mippipopolous
(c) Two soldiers from America
(d) An American man, his wife, and their young son
3. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
(a) He has a cup of coffee and then decides to go home.
(b) He tries to concentrate on his typing, but can't hold a clear thought.
(c) He sits at his desk, wallowing in self-pity.
(d) He reads the French morning papers, smokes and sets to work on the typewriter.
4. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
(a) He asks Jake to tell Brett not to go on the trip.
(b) He refuses to answer her letter.
(c) He decides to go anyway.
(d) He says that he would rather not go.
5. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
(a) His eyes tear up and his lip trembles.
(b) He is nasty and sarcastic.
(c) He tells Brett she cannot go to Pamplona.
(d) He is indifferent to the whole situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
2. When Brett doesn't show up at the Hotel Crillon, Jake takes a cab to the Select. Who asks him to sit down when he arrives?
3. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
4. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
5. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
2. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
3. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
4. How does Jake describe Cohn's first encounter with Lady Brett Ashley?
5. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
6. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
7. Why does Brett flirt with so many men and keep an accounting of how many men become infatuated with her?
8. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
9. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
10. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)