|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
(a) He's angry.
(b) He's very excited.
(c) He resigns himself to the fact that he will miss the fight.
(d) He's disappointed but tries not to show it.
2. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
(a) He reads papers and falls asleep.
(b) He helps Jake sort out carbons.
(c) He looks out the window at the Paris streets.
(d) He stuffs manila envelopes for Jake.
3. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
(a) They tell him not to think about it.
(b) They say it is better than getting killed.
(c) They tell him it is not important and he shouldn't worry about it.
(d) They tell him he is lucky; it could have been worse.
4. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
(a) He wishes he had stayed in bed.
(b) He feels it is a fine and pleasant morning.
(c) He walks down the street in a fog, not noticing the events around him.
(d) He is still distraught over Brett and skips breakfast.
5. Where does Jake tell Cohn that he met Brett?
(a) He first saw her in a café in Paris.
(b) He met her in a bar in America.
(c) They met while on a cruise to England.
(d) She was a V.A.D. in a hospital he was in during the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
2. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
3. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
4. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
5. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
2. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
3. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
4. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
5. Describe the conversation Jake has with Cohn about Brett when they go out for lunch.
6. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
7. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
8. Brett comes to Jake's room late at night with Count Mippipopolous. They ask him to go to Zelli's. Jake refuses the invitation. As they drive away, what does Jake think about the night?
9. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
10. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)