|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
2. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He goes on an extended European trip.
(b) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(c) He falls into depression.
(d) He joins the army.
3. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
(b) From negative experiences he has had
(c) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
(d) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
4. Why does Jake think of Cohn as Moses seeing the Promised Land for the first time while they are having a drink together at the dance?
(a) Cohn is eagerly looking at Lady Brett, hoping for a dance.
(b) Cohn is in awe of the night life in Paris.
(c) Cohn is looking with adoration at his fiancée, Frances.
(d) Cohn is expectantly hoping for a night with Georgette.
5. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
(a) He says that his life is passing him by. He's losing his way.
(b) He says that he can't do it. Nothing will make him do it.
(c) He says that he doesn't want it to happen to him.
(d) He says that he has to go to South America. He just has to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
2. What is the view Jake and Bill have from the train as they pass through Landes?
3. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
4. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
5. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mike Campbell show his love for Brett?
2. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
3. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
4. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
5. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
6. What does Cohn say he in his letter to Jake from Hendaye?
7. Bill and Jake meet Mike Campbell and Brett at the café, Select. What is Mike's condition?
8. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
9. Describe the condition of Jake's friend, Harvey Stone.
10. Robert Cohn gets his novel published in America. How does his personality change when he returns to Paris?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)