|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He bends over and kisses her.
(b) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
(c) He pushes her hand away.
(d) He moves closer to her.
2. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
(a) That they avoid each other
(b) That they live together
(c) That they get married
(d) That they see other people
3. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
(a) Braddocks and Jake
(b) Jake and Spider Kelly
(c) Spider Kelly and Braddocks
(d) Spider Kelly and Frances
4. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
(b) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
(c) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
(d) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
5. What is Brett's formal title?
(a) Countess Ashley
(b) Duchess Ashley
(c) Mon Cherie Brett
(d) Lady Ashley
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jake and Bill Gorton planning to do during their trip to Spain?
2. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
3. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
4. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
5. What does Brett say she did while in San Sebastian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
2. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
3. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
4. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
5. Describe Jake's frame of mind the morning after he is so distraught over Brett's leaving with Count Mippipopolous.
6. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
7. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
8. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
9. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
10. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)