|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
(a) He promoted her to an editorial position.
(b) He gave her an increase in pay.
(c) He got rid of her to please Frances.
(d) He mentioned her in his first novel.
2. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
3. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A lovely piece
(b) A bountiful beauty
(c) A raving beauty
(d) A lovely rose
4. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
(a) He was hurt in the war.
(b) He had too much to drink.
(c) He has a girlfriend.
(d) He is afraid of catching something from her.
5. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has traveled across America.
(b) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
(c) He has been all over Europe.
(d) He has sailed around the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
2. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
3. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
4. What is Harvey's opinion of Robert Cohn?
5. Jake, Bill and their traveling companions in the train compartment talk about fishing trips. What comment does the American wife make about men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cohn wants to see Jake after knocking him unconscious. Does Jake go to see Cohn or does he decide against it? Explain.
2. Is Mike Campbell justified in comparing Robert Cohen to one of the steers?
3. Jake feels sorry for Cohn because he is bored with his life, but why can't Jake help him?
4. Relate why Montoya, the hotel owner in Pamplona, smiles at Jake and asks if Bill is an aficionado?
5. Explain how the fist fight between Robert Cohn and Jake Barnes gets started?
6. As Jake lies in bed trying to sleep, what does he continue to think about?
7. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
8. Count Mippipopolous enjoys everything life has to offer. What explanation does he five for this?
9. Jake and Bill meet a Basque who lived in America forty years before. What parts of America had he visited and why did he return to Spain?
10. On the day the bull fights are to take place, Cohn tells Bill and Jake that he hopes he won't be bored at the bull fight. What is Bill's reaction to Cohn's comment?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)