|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
(a) Harvey has been threatened by debt collectors.
(b) Jake wants him to use the money to find a flat.
(c) Harvey hasn't eaten in five days, wants to be alone and doesn't care if he eats.
(d) Jake wants Harvey to place a bet for him with his bookie.
2. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
(a) She thinks South America is the wilderness.
(b) She wouldn't like South America. She likes to be around a lot of people.
(c) She is afraid to travel.
(d) She doesn't like foreign countries.
3. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
4. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
(a) His address
(b) Fifty francs
(c) A bottle of wine
(d) A brandy and soda
5. Jake, Bill and their traveling companions in the train compartment talk about fishing trips. What comment does the American wife make about men?
(a) She says that most men voted for prohibition.
(b) She implies that men get out of control if there is liquor around.
(c) She says that only a few men get drunk on a regular basis.
(d) She says that most men are self-disciplined and decent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
2. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
3. What does Jake do to pass the time while he waits for Brett to meet him at the Hotel Crillon?
4. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
5. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cohn send his fiancée, Frances back to England to visit friends?
2. Cohn divorces after five years of marriage and another woman takes control of his life. Who is this woman and what does she expect to get from Cohn?
3. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
4. What is pernod and what type of reaction does a person have after drinking it?
5. Discuss Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
6. Compare the different ways that Jake and Brett feel about being in love with each other.
7. Jake continues to feel miserable because he cannot be with Brett. He suggests that they live together. What is Brett's reply?
8. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
9. Summarize the lengthy description Jake gives of Robert Cohen in this chapter.
10. What prompts Jake to ask the street girl, Georgette to dinner?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)