|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
(a) He's angry.
(b) He resigns himself to the fact that he will miss the fight.
(c) He's disappointed but tries not to show it.
(d) He's very excited.
2. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
(a) He thinks it would be nice to eat with someone.
(b) He hopes it will lead to a more intimate time later in the evening.
(c) He feels sorry for her and hopes to talk her into a different lifestyle.
(d) He thinks she looks down and out and could use a good meal.
3. Bill Gorton says that Vienna "is a strange city". What city does he compare it to?
(d) New York
4. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
(a) He asks if he said anything embarrassing the night before.
(b) He asks if Jake is still in love with Brett.
(c) He asks if Cohn is in love with Brett.
(d) He asks if he and Brett can go to Pamplona with Jake and Bill.
5. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
(a) The Princeton Review
(b) The California Coastline
(c) The Fine Arts and Music Magazine
(d) Review of the Arts
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
2. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
3. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
4. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
5. What is Brett's formal title?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jake justify saying nasty things about Brett to Robert Cohn?
2. Why does Robert Cohn become obsessed about going to South America?
3. While dancing with Brett, Jake feels he is in a nightmare that he has had before and has to go through again. Why does he think this?
4. During a dance at the dance club, Brett and Jake have a conversation about Mike. What do they talk about?
5. What words of wisdom does Jake give to Robert Cohn about traveling and trying to escape from himself?
6. Explain why Robert Cohn marries the first girl who is nice to him after he graduates from Princeton.
7. Jake and Bill share a train compartment with An American man, his wife, and their young son, Hubert. What are a few of the subjects they discuss?
8. Mike asks Jake if he and Brett can go to Spain with him. Jake agrees and Brett asks if it will be too hard on Cohn. Why doesn't Jake understand this question and what is his reaction when he finds out?
9. When Bill Gorton arrives in Paris to see Jake; he says that his trip to Vienna did not go so well. What was the problem with the trip?
10. Why don't Jake and Bill get to eat lunch until three-thirty in the afternoon when they are traveling on the train to Bayonne? What is Bill's reaction?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)