|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
(a) The picadores
(b) The bulls
(c) The other bull fighters
(d) Some of his old class mates
2. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
(a) To prevent the bulls from running down the side streets when they were released into the street the next morning.
(b) So the women could hang flowers from the posts for the fiesta
(c) To make a place for tying the spectator's horses during the bull fight
(d) For the fiesta parade the next day
3. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
(a) Bull-fighting paintings
(b) Dead rabbits, dead pheasants, and dead ducks
(c) Portraits of famous visitors to the hotel
(d) Spanish landscapes
4. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
(b) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
(c) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
(d) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
5. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
(b) Mike Campbell
(c) Vincente Girones
(d) Pedro Romero
6. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(b) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
(c) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
(d) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
7. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
(a) She says that she is very fond of him and that it could lead to something more.
(b) She says that she is sick of him and he has behaved very badly.
(c) She says that she is leaving Mike for Cohn.
(d) She says that she is going away with Cohn for good.
8. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
(a) He tells her that he is sorry Romero got hurt.
(b) He asks her to go back to Paris with him.
(c) He tells her she should expect trouble if she associates with Jews and bull fighters.
(d) He says that Cohn is out of his mind.
9. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
(a) On the floor
(b) In the guest room
(c) In the servant's quarters
(d) In a hotel room
10. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
(a) Cohn says that he is only worried that he will be bored.
(b) Cohn tells Bill to mind his own business.
(c) Cohn is afraid he will not be able to look at the dying horses.
(d) Cohn is worried he might faint at the sight of the horse's blood.
11. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
(a) Cohn backs up a few steps, then turns and runs.
(b) Cohn hides behind Jake, asking him to stop Mike.
(c) Cohn mumbles something and leaves the hotel.
(d) Cohn waits proudly and firmly for Mike to assault him. He wants to show he will fight for Brett.
12. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
(a) Subdued and disturbed
(b) Excited and aggressive
(c) Disgusted and drained
(d) Disturbed and elated
13. Why do all the passengers sit on top of the bus before it leaves for Baguete?
(a) It is such a hot day; they sit on top of the bus and fan themselves.
(b) To get a better view of the town
(c) The inside of the bus is full of packages.
(d) It is too smelly inside the bus.
14. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
(a) That Romero is badly hurt and should be in bed
(b) That Romero is hurt, but he will be fine
(c) That Cohn is to blame.
(d) That it isn't as bad as it looks.
15. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(b) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(c) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(d) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel that Jake, Bill and Cohen stay at in Pamplona?
2. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
3. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
4. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
5. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)