|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
(a) Cohn is afraid he will not be able to look at the dying horses.
(b) Cohn is worried he might faint at the sight of the horse's blood.
(c) Cohn says that he is only worried that he will be bored.
(d) Cohn tells Bill to mind his own business.
2. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
(a) Goat's milk
(b) Raw meat wrapped in grape leaves
(c) A drink from a big leather wine bag
(d) Fruit from a wicker basket
3. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) He missed his homeland.
(b) He was broke.
(c) To attend his mother's funeral
(d) To get married
4. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
(a) The other bull fighters
(b) The bulls
(c) Some of his old class mates
(d) The picadores
5. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
(a) The Spanish carabineers do not bother with the bags, but check the passport.
(b) The Spanish carabineers empty every bag and check the passport.
(c) The Spanish carabineers open one bag and look at the passport.
(d) The Spanish carabineers do a full body search on each traveler and check the passport.
6. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
(a) Not enough reading
(b) Too little caffeine
(c) Fake European standards
(d) Not enough exercise
7. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
(a) Disturbed and elated
(b) Subdued and disturbed
(c) Excited and aggressive
(d) Disgusted and drained
8. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
(a) Dead rabbits, dead pheasants, and dead ducks
(b) Portraits of famous visitors to the hotel
(c) Spanish landscapes
(d) Bull-fighting paintings
9. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
(a) A dirty Spanish town, cluttered with litter
(b) A smelly Spanish town with a rancid river running through it
(c) A gloomy Spanish town with dark, unkempt streets
(d) A nice Spanish town, very clean, on a large river
10. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
(b) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
(c) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
(d) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
11. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
(a) He gives them each a new rod.
(b) He gives each of them an envelope with flies for fishing.
(c) He gives them each a goatskin flask.
(d) He gives them each a bottle of wine.
12. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(b) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
(c) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
(d) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
13. What is the reason Brett tells Jake she is a goner?
(a) She is still in love with Jake.
(b) She is hopelessly in love with Pedro Romero.
(c) She thinks she drinks too much.
(d) She finds out she is very sick.
14. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
(a) He runs out the door crying.
(b) He screams that he never wants to see Brett again.
(c) He gives Romero a brutal beating.
(d) He slaps Brett and drags her out the door.
15. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
(a) They sit in front of the fireplace.
(b) They go for a run through the town.
(c) They go to bed and read.
(d) They put on extra layers of clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
2. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
3. What is an aficionado?
4. What is morality, according to Jake?
5. What did it mean when the Basque said "Arriba" to Bill and Jake?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)