|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
(a) He gives each of them an envelope with flies for fishing.
(b) He gives them each a bottle of wine.
(c) He gives them each a new rod.
(d) He gives them each a goatskin flask.
2. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through rough, rocky plains
(b) Through a soot covered mill town
(c) Through farming country with rocky hills
(d) Through the crowded city streets
3. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
(b) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
(c) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
(d) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
4. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
(a) He screams that he never wants to see Brett again.
(b) He runs out the door crying.
(c) He slaps Brett and drags her out the door.
(d) He gives Romero a brutal beating.
5. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(b) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
(c) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(d) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
6. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His leather gloves
(b) His gold-brocaded cape
(c) His tri-cornered hat
(d) His black, silk sash
7. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
(a) So everyone could get a good view of the countryside
(b) To give room to six mules pulling a heavily loaded freight wagon
(c) To make room for the wild goats on the hillside
(d) To give room to pilgrims passing on the road
8. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
(b) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
(c) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(d) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
9. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) He was broke.
(b) He missed his homeland.
(c) To get married
(d) To attend his mother's funeral
10. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
11. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
(a) The bull's severed tongue
(b) The bull's severed ear
(c) The bloody cape
(d) His sword
12. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
(a) A dirty Spanish town, cluttered with litter
(b) A smelly Spanish town with a rancid river running through it
(c) A gloomy Spanish town with dark, unkempt streets
(d) A nice Spanish town, very clean, on a large river
13. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
(a) San Sombra
(b) San Riau
(c) San Pamplona
(d) San Fermin
14. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
(a) She says that she is leaving Mike for Cohn.
(b) She says that she is very fond of him and that it could lead to something more.
(c) She says that she is sick of him and he has behaved very badly.
(d) She says that she is going away with Cohn for good.
15. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He believes money will buy anything.
(b) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
(c) He says that payment is made by working hard.
(d) He says that payment is made by living life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
2. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
3. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
4. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
5. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)