|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
(a) Along both sides of the road and down side streets
(b) Along both sides of the road with no side streets
(c) In city blocks
(d) In a circle around the town
2. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(b) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(c) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(d) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
3. What is an aficionado?
(a) Someone who over indulges in wine
(b) A person who brings the bulls to the arena
(c) A person who is passionate about the bull-fights
(d) A woman who throws flowers at the bull-fights
4. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
(a) He runs out the door crying.
(b) He slaps Brett and drags her out the door.
(c) He screams that he never wants to see Brett again.
(d) He gives Romero a brutal beating.
5. What is morality, according to Jake?
(a) Being kind to one another
(b) Things that make you disgusted.
(c) Helping your neighbor
(d) What they teach in church.
6. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
(b) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
(c) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
(d) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
7. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
(a) Pedro Romero
(b) Jose Fermin
(c) Pedro Iruna
(d) Señor Gayarra
8. How does Jake feel after the fiesta and the bull fighting?
9. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
(b) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
(c) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
(d) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
10. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through a soot covered mill town
(b) Through the crowded city streets
(c) Through rough, rocky plains
(d) Through farming country with rocky hills
11. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
(a) The picadores
(b) The bulls
(c) Some of his old class mates
(d) The other bull fighters
12. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
(a) Excited and aggressive
(b) Disturbed and elated
(c) Subdued and disturbed
(d) Disgusted and drained
13. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(b) He is extremely nervous and eager.
(c) He is nonchalant.
(d) He is feverish and shaky.
14. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
(a) Don't pay any attention to dreams. They don't have any meaning.
(b) Dreaming eases the burdens of the day.
(c) Dreaming is for children.
(d) Jake should dream because all the successful businessmen are dreamers.
15. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
(a) A nice Spanish town, very clean, on a large river
(b) A dirty Spanish town, cluttered with litter
(c) A gloomy Spanish town with dark, unkempt streets
(d) A smelly Spanish town with a rancid river running through it
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
2. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
3. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
4. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
5. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)