|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
(b) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
(c) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
(d) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
2. What will the spectators do on the morning of the first day of the bull fights?
(a) They will run down the street with the bulls behind them.
(b) They will stay inside, not looking at the bulls until the fight.
(c) They will run down the street behind the bulls.
(d) They will stay back behind the posts and let the bulls run past.
3. What is an aficionado?
(a) A woman who throws flowers at the bull-fights
(b) A person who brings the bulls to the arena
(c) Someone who over indulges in wine
(d) A person who is passionate about the bull-fights
4. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
(a) Rolled olive leaves, smoked fish, and spicy vegetables
(b) Spicy beans with hot sauce, spicy vegetables, dried beef
(c) Poached eggs with cheese sauce, spicy beans, hot vegetable stew
(d) Hors d'oeuvres, an egg course, two meat courses, vegetables, salad, dessert and fruit with wine to wash it down
5. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
(a) Cohn backs up a few steps, then turns and runs.
(b) Cohn mumbles something and leaves the hotel.
(c) Cohn waits proudly and firmly for Mike to assault him. He wants to show he will fight for Brett.
(d) Cohn hides behind Jake, asking him to stop Mike.
6. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
(a) Disturbed and elated
(b) Subdued and disturbed
(c) Disgusted and drained
(d) Excited and aggressive
7. Why do all the passengers sit on top of the bus before it leaves for Baguete?
(a) It is such a hot day; they sit on top of the bus and fan themselves.
(b) To get a better view of the town
(c) It is too smelly inside the bus.
(d) The inside of the bus is full of packages.
8. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
(b) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
(c) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
(d) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
9. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
(b) There is camaraderie between friends.
(c) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(d) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
10. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
(b) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
(c) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
(d) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
11. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
(a) She sees fear in his palm.
(b) He will live a long life but give up bull fighting.
(c) There are thousands of bulls in his life and he will live a long time.
(d) He will fall in love very soon.
12. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
(a) He asks her to go back to Paris with him.
(b) He says that Cohn is out of his mind.
(c) He tells her she should expect trouble if she associates with Jews and bull fighters.
(d) He tells her that he is sorry Romero got hurt.
13. What is the weather like when Jake and Bill arrive in Burguete?
(a) Hot and sunny
(b) Very cold
(c) Humid and stifling
(d) Rainy and windy
14. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
(a) He screams that he never wants to see Brett again.
(b) He runs out the door crying.
(c) He slaps Brett and drags her out the door.
(d) He gives Romero a brutal beating.
15. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
(a) The sombra
(b) The paseo
(c) The fiesta
(d) The aficio
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
2. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
3. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
4. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
5. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)