|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
(a) That Romero is hurt, but he will be fine
(b) That it isn't as bad as it looks.
(c) That Cohn is to blame.
(d) That Romero is badly hurt and should be in bed
2. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through farming country with rocky hills
(b) Through rough, rocky plains
(c) Through a soot covered mill town
(d) Through the crowded city streets
3. How do the spectators react when they feel they are cheated by Belmonte's bull fight?
(a) Yell insults and throw food
(b) Refuse to applaud
(c) Turn their backs on him
(d) Sit down in silence
4. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
(a) She says that she is very fond of him and that it could lead to something more.
(b) She says that she is sick of him and he has behaved very badly.
(c) She says that she is going away with Cohn for good.
(d) She says that she is leaving Mike for Cohn.
5. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He says that payment is made by living life.
(b) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
(c) He believes money will buy anything.
(d) He says that payment is made by working hard.
6. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
(a) They decide to take the noon bus for Burguete.
(b) They decide to go to San Sebastian to meet Brett and Mike.
(c) They decide that Jake and Cohn will go on to Burgete, and Bill will wait for Brett.
(d) They decide to wait until the next day before they go to Burguete.
7. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
(a) He says that Romero should find another line of work.
(b) He says that Romero's work is good but incomplete.
(c) He says that Romero is the best fighter he has ever seen.
(d) He says that Romero is just an amateur.
8. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is feverish and shaky.
(b) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(c) He is nonchalant.
(d) He is extremely nervous and eager.
9. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
(a) Rolled olive leaves, smoked fish, and spicy vegetables
(b) Poached eggs with cheese sauce, spicy beans, hot vegetable stew
(c) Hors d'oeuvres, an egg course, two meat courses, vegetables, salad, dessert and fruit with wine to wash it down
(d) Spicy beans with hot sauce, spicy vegetables, dried beef
10. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
(a) He gives them each a bottle of wine.
(b) He gives each of them an envelope with flies for fishing.
(c) He gives them each a new rod.
(d) He gives them each a goatskin flask.
11. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
(a) Pedro Iruna
(b) Jose Fermin
(c) Pedro Romero
(d) Señor Gayarra
12. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
(a) Adamant and angry
(b) Comical and nonchalant
(c) Ironical and full of pity
(d) Serious and ready to work
13. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
(b) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
(c) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
(d) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
14. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) He was broke.
(b) He missed his homeland.
(c) To get married
(d) To attend his mother's funeral
15. Why do all the passengers sit on top of the bus before it leaves for Baguete?
(a) The inside of the bus is full of packages.
(b) To get a better view of the town
(c) It is such a hot day; they sit on top of the bus and fan themselves.
(d) It is too smelly inside the bus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
2. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
3. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
4. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
5. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)