|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
(a) In the guest room
(b) In a hotel room
(c) On the floor
(d) In the servant's quarters
2. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He says that payment is made by working hard.
(b) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
(c) He says that payment is made by living life.
(d) He believes money will buy anything.
3. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(b) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
(c) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(d) There is camaraderie between friends.
4. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
(a) Spanish landscapes
(b) Portraits of famous visitors to the hotel
(c) Dead rabbits, dead pheasants, and dead ducks
(d) Bull-fighting paintings
5. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
(b) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
(c) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
(d) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
6. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
(a) They are ill from too much wine the night before.
(b) They feel guilty for the argument the night before.
(c) They are uncomfortable and edgy.
(d) They feel good, healthy and friendly.
7. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
(a) They decide to wait until the next day before they go to Burguete.
(b) They decide to take the noon bus for Burguete.
(c) They decide to go to San Sebastian to meet Brett and Mike.
(d) They decide that Jake and Cohn will go on to Burgete, and Bill will wait for Brett.
8. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
(a) The bulls
(b) The picadores
(c) The other bull fighters
(d) Some of his old class mates
9. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
(a) The Spanish carabineers do a full body search on each traveler and check the passport.
(b) The Spanish carabineers do not bother with the bags, but check the passport.
(c) The Spanish carabineers empty every bag and check the passport.
(d) The Spanish carabineers open one bag and look at the passport.
10. What will the spectators do on the morning of the first day of the bull fights?
(a) They will run down the street behind the bulls.
(b) They will stay inside, not looking at the bulls until the fight.
(c) They will stay back behind the posts and let the bulls run past.
(d) They will run down the street with the bulls behind them.
11. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
(a) San Pamplona
(b) San Fermin
(c) San Sombra
(d) San Riau
12. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
(a) Cohn says that he is only worried that he will be bored.
(b) Cohn is worried he might faint at the sight of the horse's blood.
(c) Cohn is afraid he will not be able to look at the dying horses.
(d) Cohn tells Bill to mind his own business.
13. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
(a) He says that Jake is too sensitive.
(b) He says that Jake is more annoying than anyone else he knows.
(c) He says that Jake is a good guy and Bill is fonder of him than anyone else.
(d) He says that Jake needs to stop being such a whiner.
14. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
(b) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
(c) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
(d) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
15. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
(a) Fruit from a wicker basket
(b) Raw meat wrapped in grape leaves
(c) A drink from a big leather wine bag
(d) Goat's milk
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the spectators react when they feel they are cheated by Belmonte's bull fight?
2. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
3. What is one of the methods smugglers use to cross from France into Spain?
4. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
5. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)