|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
(a) He gives them each a goatskin flask.
(b) He gives them each a new rod.
(c) He gives them each a bottle of wine.
(d) He gives each of them an envelope with flies for fishing.
2. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
(a) In city blocks
(b) Along both sides of the road with no side streets
(c) Along both sides of the road and down side streets
(d) In a circle around the town
3. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
(a) To make a place for tying the spectator's horses during the bull fight
(b) So the women could hang flowers from the posts for the fiesta
(c) To prevent the bulls from running down the side streets when they were released into the street the next morning.
(d) For the fiesta parade the next day
4. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
(a) The picadores
(b) The other bull fighters
(c) Some of his old class mates
(d) The bulls
5. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through rough, rocky plains
(b) Through a soot covered mill town
(c) Through farming country with rocky hills
(d) Through the crowded city streets
6. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
(b) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
(c) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
(d) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
7. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
(a) Dreaming is for children.
(b) Dreaming eases the burdens of the day.
(c) Don't pay any attention to dreams. They don't have any meaning.
(d) Jake should dream because all the successful businessmen are dreamers.
8. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
(a) There are thousands of bulls in his life and he will live a long time.
(b) He will live a long life but give up bull fighting.
(c) She sees fear in his palm.
(d) He will fall in love very soon.
9. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
(a) A smelly Spanish town with a rancid river running through it
(b) A dirty Spanish town, cluttered with litter
(c) A gloomy Spanish town with dark, unkempt streets
(d) A nice Spanish town, very clean, on a large river
10. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
(a) Twelve pesetas, which Jake feels is too much
(b) Seven pesetas, but the wine is included
(c) Three pesetas, which is cheap
(d) Five pesetas, which Jake feels is reasonable
11. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
(a) To give room to six mules pulling a heavily loaded freight wagon
(b) To give room to pilgrims passing on the road
(c) So everyone could get a good view of the countryside
(d) To make room for the wild goats on the hillside
12. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
(b) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
(c) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
(d) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
13. What is the weather like when Jake and Bill arrive in Burguete?
(a) Rainy and windy
(b) Humid and stifling
(c) Hot and sunny
(d) Very cold
14. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
(b) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
(c) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(d) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
15. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
(b) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
(c) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
(d) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
2. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
3. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
4. What is the name of the hotel that Jake, Bill and Cohen stay at in Pamplona?
5. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)