|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
(a) A drink from a big leather wine bag
(b) Goat's milk
(c) Fruit from a wicker basket
(d) Raw meat wrapped in grape leaves
2. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through the crowded city streets
(b) Through farming country with rocky hills
(c) Through rough, rocky plains
(d) Through a soot covered mill town
3. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
(a) Excited and aggressive
(b) Subdued and disturbed
(c) Disgusted and drained
(d) Disturbed and elated
4. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
(a) To make room for the wild goats on the hillside
(b) To give room to pilgrims passing on the road
(c) To give room to six mules pulling a heavily loaded freight wagon
(d) So everyone could get a good view of the countryside
5. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
(a) She sees fear in his palm.
(b) He will live a long life but give up bull fighting.
(c) There are thousands of bulls in his life and he will live a long time.
(d) He will fall in love very soon.
6. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
(a) Pamplona is on top of a high mountain with small huts around the perimeter.
(b) Pamplona's walls lead up to the town which has only a bull ring in its center.
(c) The walls of Pamplona rise out of the plain, then a brown cathedral and other churches. The mountains are all around.
(d) Pamplona is obscured by forests on a flat piece of land.
7. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
(a) She says that she is going away with Cohn for good.
(b) She says that she is sick of him and he has behaved very badly.
(c) She says that she is very fond of him and that it could lead to something more.
(d) She says that she is leaving Mike for Cohn.
8. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
(a) The picadores
(b) The other bull fighters
(c) Some of his old class mates
(d) The bulls
9. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
(a) They decide to wait until the next day before they go to Burguete.
(b) They decide to go to San Sebastian to meet Brett and Mike.
(c) They decide to take the noon bus for Burguete.
(d) They decide that Jake and Cohn will go on to Burgete, and Bill will wait for Brett.
10. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
(a) Three pesetas, which is cheap
(b) Seven pesetas, but the wine is included
(c) Twelve pesetas, which Jake feels is too much
(d) Five pesetas, which Jake feels is reasonable
11. What did it mean when the Basque said "Arriba" to Bill and Jake?
(a) Lift it up
(b) Stop drinking
(c) Put it down
(d) Put the cork on
12. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
(a) He says that Romero is just an amateur.
(b) He says that Romero is the best fighter he has ever seen.
(c) He says that Romero's work is good but incomplete.
(d) He says that Romero should find another line of work.
13. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
(b) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
(c) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
(d) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
14. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He says that payment is made by living life.
(b) He believes money will buy anything.
(c) He says that payment is made by working hard.
(d) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
15. How long does the fiesta last?
(a) Only daytime celebrations for seven days
(b) One day and night
(c) Day and night for three days
(d) Day and night for seven days
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
2. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
3. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
4. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
5. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)