|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
(a) The Spanish carabineers empty every bag and check the passport.
(b) The Spanish carabineers do a full body search on each traveler and check the passport.
(c) The Spanish carabineers open one bag and look at the passport.
(d) The Spanish carabineers do not bother with the bags, but check the passport.
2. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
(b) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
(c) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
(d) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
3. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
(a) Pamplona is on top of a high mountain with small huts around the perimeter.
(b) Pamplona is obscured by forests on a flat piece of land.
(c) Pamplona's walls lead up to the town which has only a bull ring in its center.
(d) The walls of Pamplona rise out of the plain, then a brown cathedral and other churches. The mountains are all around.
4. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) To attend his mother's funeral
(b) He was broke.
(c) To get married
(d) He missed his homeland.
5. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
(b) There is camaraderie between friends.
(c) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(d) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
6. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
(b) An apology
(c) The whereabouts of Brett
(d) To continue the fight
7. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
(a) They feel guilty for the argument the night before.
(b) They are ill from too much wine the night before.
(c) They are uncomfortable and edgy.
(d) They feel good, healthy and friendly.
8. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
(a) Spicy beans with hot sauce, spicy vegetables, dried beef
(b) Hors d'oeuvres, an egg course, two meat courses, vegetables, salad, dessert and fruit with wine to wash it down
(c) Rolled olive leaves, smoked fish, and spicy vegetables
(d) Poached eggs with cheese sauce, spicy beans, hot vegetable stew
9. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(b) He is feverish and shaky.
(c) He is nonchalant.
(d) He is extremely nervous and eager.
10. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
(a) Señor Gayarra
(b) Pedro Romero
(c) Pedro Iruna
(d) Jose Fermin
11. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
(b) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
(c) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
(d) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
12. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
(b) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(c) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
(d) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
13. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
(a) A drink from a big leather wine bag
(b) Fruit from a wicker basket
(c) Goat's milk
(d) Raw meat wrapped in grape leaves
14. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
(a) They insult the way he fought the bulls.
(b) They leave him alone to be with Brett.
(c) They lift him on their shoulders and carry him out the gate.
(d) They quietly let him pass through the gate.
15. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
(a) A smelly Spanish town with a rancid river running through it
(b) A dirty Spanish town, cluttered with litter
(c) A nice Spanish town, very clean, on a large river
(d) A gloomy Spanish town with dark, unkempt streets
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do all the passengers sit on top of the bus before it leaves for Baguete?
2. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
3. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
4. What is one of the methods smugglers use to cross from France into Spain?
5. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)