|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
(a) To make room for the wild goats on the hillside
(b) To give room to pilgrims passing on the road
(c) So everyone could get a good view of the countryside
(d) To give room to six mules pulling a heavily loaded freight wagon
2. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) To get married
(b) He was broke.
(c) To attend his mother's funeral
(d) He missed his homeland.
3. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
(a) The Spanish carabineers do not bother with the bags, but check the passport.
(b) The Spanish carabineers open one bag and look at the passport.
(c) The Spanish carabineers do a full body search on each traveler and check the passport.
(d) The Spanish carabineers empty every bag and check the passport.
4. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
(a) Adamant and angry
(b) Ironical and full of pity
(c) Serious and ready to work
(d) Comical and nonchalant
5. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(b) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
(c) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(d) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
6. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
(a) A nice Spanish town, very clean, on a large river
(b) A gloomy Spanish town with dark, unkempt streets
(c) A dirty Spanish town, cluttered with litter
(d) A smelly Spanish town with a rancid river running through it
7. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
(a) Cohn is worried he might faint at the sight of the horse's blood.
(b) Cohn says that he is only worried that he will be bored.
(c) Cohn tells Bill to mind his own business.
(d) Cohn is afraid he will not be able to look at the dying horses.
8. How long does the fiesta last?
(a) Day and night for three days
(b) Only daytime celebrations for seven days
(c) Day and night for seven days
(d) One day and night
9. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
(a) Spanish landscapes
(b) Dead rabbits, dead pheasants, and dead ducks
(c) Portraits of famous visitors to the hotel
(d) Bull-fighting paintings
10. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He says that payment is made by living life.
(b) He believes money will buy anything.
(c) He says that payment is made by working hard.
(d) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
11. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
(a) In a circle around the town
(b) Along both sides of the road with no side streets
(c) In city blocks
(d) Along both sides of the road and down side streets
12. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through farming country with rocky hills
(b) Through a soot covered mill town
(c) Through rough, rocky plains
(d) Through the crowded city streets
13. What is an aficionado?
(a) A person who is passionate about the bull-fights
(b) A person who brings the bulls to the arena
(c) Someone who over indulges in wine
(d) A woman who throws flowers at the bull-fights
14. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
(b) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
(c) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(d) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
15. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(b) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(c) There is camaraderie between friends.
(d) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
2. What did it mean when the Basque said "Arriba" to Bill and Jake?
3. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
4. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
5. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)