|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
(a) He will live a long life but give up bull fighting.
(b) He will fall in love very soon.
(c) There are thousands of bulls in his life and he will live a long time.
(d) She sees fear in his palm.
2. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
(a) Disturbed and elated
(b) Excited and aggressive
(c) Disgusted and drained
(d) Subdued and disturbed
3. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
(a) They decide to take the noon bus for Burguete.
(b) They decide to go to San Sebastian to meet Brett and Mike.
(c) They decide that Jake and Cohn will go on to Burgete, and Bill will wait for Brett.
(d) They decide to wait until the next day before they go to Burguete.
4. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
(a) He says that Jake needs to stop being such a whiner.
(b) He says that Jake is too sensitive.
(c) He says that Jake is more annoying than anyone else he knows.
(d) He says that Jake is a good guy and Bill is fonder of him than anyone else.
5. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
(a) The bloody cape
(b) His sword
(c) The bull's severed ear
(d) The bull's severed tongue
6. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
(b) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(c) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
(d) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
7. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
(a) They go to bed and read.
(b) They put on extra layers of clothing.
(c) They go for a run through the town.
(d) They sit in front of the fireplace.
8. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
(a) They insult the way he fought the bulls.
(b) They leave him alone to be with Brett.
(c) They lift him on their shoulders and carry him out the gate.
(d) They quietly let him pass through the gate.
9. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
(a) Along both sides of the road with no side streets
(b) In a circle around the town
(c) Along both sides of the road and down side streets
(d) In city blocks
10. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
(a) The fiesta
(b) The paseo
(c) The aficio
(d) The sombra
11. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
(a) So the women could hang flowers from the posts for the fiesta
(b) For the fiesta parade the next day
(c) To make a place for tying the spectator's horses during the bull fight
(d) To prevent the bulls from running down the side streets when they were released into the street the next morning.
12. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) They don't get any bites all morning.
(b) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(c) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(d) They each catch one trout.
13. What did it mean when the Basque said "Arriba" to Bill and Jake?
(a) Put the cork on
(b) Lift it up
(c) Stop drinking
(d) Put it down
14. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) He missed his homeland.
(b) He was broke.
(c) To attend his mother's funeral
(d) To get married
15. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There is camaraderie between friends.
(b) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(c) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(d) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
2. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
3. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
4. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
5. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)