|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He says that payment is made by living life.
(b) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
(c) He believes money will buy anything.
(d) He says that payment is made by working hard.
2. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
3. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(b) There is camaraderie between friends.
(c) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(d) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
4. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
(a) In a hotel room
(b) In the servant's quarters
(c) On the floor
(d) In the guest room
5. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
(a) The Spanish carabineers do a full body search on each traveler and check the passport.
(b) The Spanish carabineers open one bag and look at the passport.
(c) The Spanish carabineers do not bother with the bags, but check the passport.
(d) The Spanish carabineers empty every bag and check the passport.
6. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
(a) Raw meat wrapped in grape leaves
(b) Goat's milk
(c) Fruit from a wicker basket
(d) A drink from a big leather wine bag
7. How long does the fiesta last?
(a) One day and night
(b) Only daytime celebrations for seven days
(c) Day and night for seven days
(d) Day and night for three days
8. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
(a) They are uncomfortable and edgy.
(b) They feel good, healthy and friendly.
(c) They feel guilty for the argument the night before.
(d) They are ill from too much wine the night before.
9. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His gold-brocaded cape
(b) His tri-cornered hat
(c) His leather gloves
(d) His black, silk sash
10. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
(a) Ironical and full of pity
(b) Comical and nonchalant
(c) Serious and ready to work
(d) Adamant and angry
11. How do the spectators react when they feel they are cheated by Belmonte's bull fight?
(a) Yell insults and throw food
(b) Sit down in silence
(c) Refuse to applaud
(d) Turn their backs on him
12. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) To get married
(b) He missed his homeland.
(c) He was broke.
(d) To attend his mother's funeral
13. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
(a) Not enough exercise
(b) Fake European standards
(c) Too little caffeine
(d) Not enough reading
14. What does Robert Cohn do when he finds Brett and Pedro Romero in bed together?
(a) He slaps Brett and drags her out the door.
(b) He gives Romero a brutal beating.
(c) He runs out the door crying.
(d) He screams that he never wants to see Brett again.
15. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
(b) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(c) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
(d) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
2. What does the crowd do to Romero after the bullfights are over?
3. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
4. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
5. What is an aficionado?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)