|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
(b) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
(c) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
(d) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
2. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(b) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
(c) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
(d) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
3. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
(a) Poached eggs with cheese sauce, spicy beans, hot vegetable stew
(b) Spicy beans with hot sauce, spicy vegetables, dried beef
(c) Rolled olive leaves, smoked fish, and spicy vegetables
(d) Hors d'oeuvres, an egg course, two meat courses, vegetables, salad, dessert and fruit with wine to wash it down
4. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is nonchalant.
(b) He is extremely nervous and eager.
(c) He is feverish and shaky.
(d) He is relaxed and pleasant.
5. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
(a) They sit in front of the fireplace.
(b) They put on extra layers of clothing.
(c) They go for a run through the town.
(d) They go to bed and read.
6. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His gold-brocaded cape
(b) His black, silk sash
(c) His leather gloves
(d) His tri-cornered hat
7. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
(a) To give room to pilgrims passing on the road
(b) So everyone could get a good view of the countryside
(c) To give room to six mules pulling a heavily loaded freight wagon
(d) To make room for the wild goats on the hillside
8. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
(a) Too little caffeine
(b) Not enough reading
(c) Not enough exercise
(d) Fake European standards
9. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
(a) Roast chicken, grapes, boiled vegetables, and wine
(b) Fried steak, olives, grapes, wine
(c) Vegetable soup, fried trout, stew, strawberries and wine
(d) Salad, eggs, olives, hot rum
10. What is morality, according to Jake?
(a) Helping your neighbor
(b) Things that make you disgusted.
(c) What they teach in church.
(d) Being kind to one another
11. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
(a) Señor Gayarra
(b) Pedro Romero
(c) Jose Fermin
(d) Pedro Iruna
12. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(b) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(c) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(d) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
13. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
(b) Mike Campbell
(c) Vincente Girones
(d) Pedro Romero
14. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
(a) Dreaming is for children.
(b) Dreaming eases the burdens of the day.
(c) Jake should dream because all the successful businessmen are dreamers.
(d) Don't pay any attention to dreams. They don't have any meaning.
15. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
(a) He asks her to go back to Paris with him.
(b) He says that Cohn is out of his mind.
(c) He tells her that he is sorry Romero got hurt.
(d) He tells her she should expect trouble if she associates with Jews and bull fighters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Brett tells Jake she is a goner?
2. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
3. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
4. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
5. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)