|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the spectators react when they feel they are cheated by Belmonte's bull fight?
(a) Turn their backs on him
(b) Yell insults and throw food
(c) Sit down in silence
(d) Refuse to applaud
2. What is the weather like when Jake and Bill arrive in Burguete?
(a) Hot and sunny
(b) Very cold
(c) Humid and stifling
(d) Rainy and windy
3. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(b) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(c) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(d) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
4. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
(a) There are thousands of bulls in his life and he will live a long time.
(b) She sees fear in his palm.
(c) He will fall in love very soon.
(d) He will live a long life but give up bull fighting.
5. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
(a) In city blocks
(b) In a circle around the town
(c) Along both sides of the road with no side streets
(d) Along both sides of the road and down side streets
6. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
(a) Disturbed and elated
(b) Subdued and disturbed
(c) Disgusted and drained
(d) Excited and aggressive
7. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
(a) The aficio
(b) The paseo
(c) The fiesta
(d) The sombra
8. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through a soot covered mill town
(b) Through the crowded city streets
(c) Through rough, rocky plains
(d) Through farming country with rocky hills
9. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
(a) Roast chicken, grapes, boiled vegetables, and wine
(b) Vegetable soup, fried trout, stew, strawberries and wine
(c) Fried steak, olives, grapes, wine
(d) Salad, eggs, olives, hot rum
10. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
(a) San Riau
(b) San Sombra
(c) San Fermin
(d) San Pamplona
11. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
(b) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
(c) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
(d) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
12. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His tri-cornered hat
(b) His black, silk sash
(c) His leather gloves
(d) His gold-brocaded cape
13. What is morality, according to Jake?
(a) Being kind to one another
(b) What they teach in church.
(c) Helping your neighbor
(d) Things that make you disgusted.
14. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
(b) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
(c) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
(d) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
15. What is the name of the hotel that Jake, Bill and Cohen stay at in Pamplona?
(a) Hotel Montoya
(b) Hotel Torino
(c) Hotel Bayonne
(d) Hotel Basque
Short Answer Questions
1. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
2. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
3. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
4. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
5. What is the reason Brett tells Jake she is a goner?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)