|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
(a) Pamplona's walls lead up to the town which has only a bull ring in its center.
(b) The walls of Pamplona rise out of the plain, then a brown cathedral and other churches. The mountains are all around.
(c) Pamplona is on top of a high mountain with small huts around the perimeter.
(d) Pamplona is obscured by forests on a flat piece of land.
2. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(b) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(c) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
(d) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
3. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
(a) A nice Spanish town, very clean, on a large river
(b) A smelly Spanish town with a rancid river running through it
(c) A dirty Spanish town, cluttered with litter
(d) A gloomy Spanish town with dark, unkempt streets
4. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
(a) He gives each of them an envelope with flies for fishing.
(b) He gives them each a goatskin flask.
(c) He gives them each a bottle of wine.
(d) He gives them each a new rod.
5. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
(a) The short, abrupt message annoys them.
(b) The tone of the message annoys them.
(c) The overly long message annoys them.
(d) The lateness of the message annoys them.
6. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
(a) There are thousands of bulls in his life and he will live a long time.
(b) She sees fear in his palm.
(c) He will fall in love very soon.
(d) He will live a long life but give up bull fighting.
7. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
(a) They go to bed and read.
(b) They go for a run through the town.
(c) They sit in front of the fireplace.
(d) They put on extra layers of clothing.
8. What is an aficionado?
(a) A woman who throws flowers at the bull-fights
(b) Someone who over indulges in wine
(c) A person who is passionate about the bull-fights
(d) A person who brings the bulls to the arena
9. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
(a) Cohn waits proudly and firmly for Mike to assault him. He wants to show he will fight for Brett.
(b) Cohn backs up a few steps, then turns and runs.
(c) Cohn hides behind Jake, asking him to stop Mike.
(d) Cohn mumbles something and leaves the hotel.
10. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
(a) To prevent the bulls from running down the side streets when they were released into the street the next morning.
(b) To make a place for tying the spectator's horses during the bull fight
(c) For the fiesta parade the next day
(d) So the women could hang flowers from the posts for the fiesta
11. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
(a) He says that Jake is more annoying than anyone else he knows.
(b) He says that Jake is too sensitive.
(c) He says that Jake is a good guy and Bill is fonder of him than anyone else.
(d) He says that Jake needs to stop being such a whiner.
12. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
(a) Vegetable soup, fried trout, stew, strawberries and wine
(b) Roast chicken, grapes, boiled vegetables, and wine
(c) Salad, eggs, olives, hot rum
(d) Fried steak, olives, grapes, wine
13. What is one of the methods smugglers use to cross from France into Spain?
(a) They try to convince other travelers to hide them in their vehicles.
(b) They take boats down the stream.
(c) They wait for nightfall and sneak through the Spanish frontier.
(d) They wade across the stream.
14. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
(a) San Sombra
(b) San Fermin
(c) San Pamplona
(d) San Riau
15. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
2. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
3. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
4. What types of emotion do Jake and his friends feel after the bull fight is over?
5. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)