|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(b) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(c) They don't get any bites all morning.
(d) They each catch one trout.
2. What is the weather like when Jake and Bill arrive in Burguete?
(a) Rainy and windy
(b) Hot and sunny
(c) Humid and stifling
(d) Very cold
3. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
(a) He says that Cohn is out of his mind.
(b) He asks her to go back to Paris with him.
(c) He tells her that he is sorry Romero got hurt.
(d) He tells her she should expect trouble if she associates with Jews and bull fighters.
4. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
(b) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
(c) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
(d) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
5. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
(a) The bull's severed ear
(b) The bloody cape
(c) His sword
(d) The bull's severed tongue
6. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
(a) To give room to six mules pulling a heavily loaded freight wagon
(b) To make room for the wild goats on the hillside
(c) So everyone could get a good view of the countryside
(d) To give room to pilgrims passing on the road
7. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
(a) San Fermin
(b) San Riau
(c) San Sombra
(d) San Pamplona
8. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
(a) He gives each of them an envelope with flies for fishing.
(b) He gives them each a new rod.
(c) He gives them each a bottle of wine.
(d) He gives them each a goatskin flask.
9. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
(a) To continue the fight
(c) The whereabouts of Brett
(d) An apology
10. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
(b) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
(c) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
(d) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
11. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
(a) They decide that Jake and Cohn will go on to Burgete, and Bill will wait for Brett.
(b) They decide to take the noon bus for Burguete.
(c) They decide to go to San Sebastian to meet Brett and Mike.
(d) They decide to wait until the next day before they go to Burguete.
12. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
(a) He says that Romero is the best fighter he has ever seen.
(b) He says that Romero is just an amateur.
(c) He says that Romero should find another line of work.
(d) He says that Romero's work is good but incomplete.
13. How do the spectators react when they feel they are cheated by Belmonte's bull fight?
(a) Refuse to applaud
(b) Turn their backs on him
(c) Yell insults and throw food
(d) Sit down in silence
14. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
(a) Don't pay any attention to dreams. They don't have any meaning.
(b) Jake should dream because all the successful businessmen are dreamers.
(c) Dreaming is for children.
(d) Dreaming eases the burdens of the day.
15. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
2. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
3. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
4. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
5. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)