|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
(a) Not enough reading
(b) Not enough exercise
(c) Too little caffeine
(d) Fake European standards
2. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
(a) The fiesta
(b) The sombra
(c) The aficio
(d) The paseo
3. What is morality, according to Jake?
(a) What they teach in church.
(b) Things that make you disgusted.
(c) Helping your neighbor
(d) Being kind to one another
4. As Jake, Bill, and Cohen drive across the plain to Pamplona, what is their first view of the town?
(a) The walls of Pamplona rise out of the plain, then a brown cathedral and other churches. The mountains are all around.
(b) Pamplona's walls lead up to the town which has only a bull ring in its center.
(c) Pamplona is on top of a high mountain with small huts around the perimeter.
(d) Pamplona is obscured by forests on a flat piece of land.
5. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
(a) Spanish landscapes
(b) Bull-fighting paintings
(c) Portraits of famous visitors to the hotel
(d) Dead rabbits, dead pheasants, and dead ducks
6. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
(a) He says that Romero is the best fighter he has ever seen.
(b) He says that Romero is just an amateur.
(c) He says that Romero should find another line of work.
(d) He says that Romero's work is good but incomplete.
7. What is the name of the hotel that Jake, Bill and Cohen stay at in Pamplona?
(a) Hotel Montoya
(b) Hotel Torino
(c) Hotel Bayonne
(d) Hotel Basque
8. What is one of the methods smugglers use to cross from France into Spain?
(a) They wait for nightfall and sneak through the Spanish frontier.
(b) They wade across the stream.
(c) They take boats down the stream.
(d) They try to convince other travelers to hide them in their vehicles.
9. What is an aficionado?
(a) Someone who over indulges in wine
(b) A person who brings the bulls to the arena
(c) A woman who throws flowers at the bull-fights
(d) A person who is passionate about the bull-fights
10. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
(a) Poached eggs with cheese sauce, spicy beans, hot vegetable stew
(b) Spicy beans with hot sauce, spicy vegetables, dried beef
(c) Hors d'oeuvres, an egg course, two meat courses, vegetables, salad, dessert and fruit with wine to wash it down
(d) Rolled olive leaves, smoked fish, and spicy vegetables
11. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
(a) That it isn't as bad as it looks.
(b) That Romero is badly hurt and should be in bed
(c) That Romero is hurt, but he will be fine
(d) That Cohn is to blame.
12. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
(a) The short, abrupt message annoys them.
(b) The tone of the message annoys them.
(c) The lateness of the message annoys them.
(d) The overly long message annoys them.
13. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
(b) To continue the fight
(c) The whereabouts of Brett
(d) An apology
14. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
(a) Three pesetas, which is cheap
(b) Twelve pesetas, which Jake feels is too much
(c) Five pesetas, which Jake feels is reasonable
(d) Seven pesetas, but the wine is included
15. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
(a) Cohn is afraid he will not be able to look at the dying horses.
(b) Cohn says that he is only worried that he will be bored.
(c) Cohn is worried he might faint at the sight of the horse's blood.
(d) Cohn tells Bill to mind his own business.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake feel after the fiesta and the bull fighting?
2. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
3. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
4. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
5. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)