|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
(a) Along both sides of the road with no side streets
(b) In a circle around the town
(c) Along both sides of the road and down side streets
(d) In city blocks
2. Bill lectures Jake about being an expatriate. What does he say has ruined Jake?
(a) Not enough exercise
(b) Not enough reading
(c) Too little caffeine
(d) Fake European standards
3. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(b) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(c) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
(d) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
4. What did it mean when the Basque said "Arriba" to Bill and Jake?
(a) Lift it up
(b) Put the cork on
(c) Put it down
(d) Stop drinking
5. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
(b) An apology
(c) To continue the fight
(d) The whereabouts of Brett
6. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
(a) On the floor
(b) In the servant's quarters
(c) In a hotel room
(d) In the guest room
7. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
(a) So the women could hang flowers from the posts for the fiesta
(b) To make a place for tying the spectator's horses during the bull fight
(c) To prevent the bulls from running down the side streets when they were released into the street the next morning.
(d) For the fiesta parade the next day
8. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His tri-cornered hat
(b) His gold-brocaded cape
(c) His leather gloves
(d) His black, silk sash
9. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
(a) The overly long message annoys them.
(b) The lateness of the message annoys them.
(c) The short, abrupt message annoys them.
(d) The tone of the message annoys them.
10. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
(a) A drink from a big leather wine bag
(b) Goat's milk
(c) Fruit from a wicker basket
(d) Raw meat wrapped in grape leaves
11. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
(a) Pedro Romero
(b) Pedro Iruna
(c) Señor Gayarra
(d) Jose Fermin
12. What is the weather like when Jake and Bill arrive in Burguete?
(a) Humid and stifling
(b) Rainy and windy
(c) Very cold
(d) Hot and sunny
13. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) They don't get any bites all morning.
(b) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(c) They each catch one trout.
(d) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
14. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
(a) The aficio
(b) The fiesta
(c) The paseo
(d) The sombra
15. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
(a) They feel guilty for the argument the night before.
(b) They feel good, healthy and friendly.
(c) They are uncomfortable and edgy.
(d) They are ill from too much wine the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
2. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
3. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
4. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
5. What is an aficionado?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)