|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(b) They each catch one trout.
(c) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(d) They don't get any bites all morning.
2. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His black, silk sash
(b) His leather gloves
(c) His tri-cornered hat
(d) His gold-brocaded cape
3. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
(b) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(c) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
(d) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
4. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
(b) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
(c) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
(d) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
5. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
(a) Cohn mumbles something and leaves the hotel.
(b) Cohn backs up a few steps, then turns and runs.
(c) Cohn hides behind Jake, asking him to stop Mike.
(d) Cohn waits proudly and firmly for Mike to assault him. He wants to show he will fight for Brett.
6. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
(a) Serious and ready to work
(b) Ironical and full of pity
(c) Adamant and angry
(d) Comical and nonchalant
7. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
(a) He will live a long life but give up bull fighting.
(b) He will fall in love very soon.
(c) She sees fear in his palm.
(d) There are thousands of bulls in his life and he will live a long time.
8. How does Jake feel after the fiesta and the bull fighting?
9. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
(a) Pedro Iruna
(b) Pedro Romero
(c) Señor Gayarra
(d) Jose Fermin
10. What is the description Jake gives of the town of Bayonne?
(a) A gloomy Spanish town with dark, unkempt streets
(b) A smelly Spanish town with a rancid river running through it
(c) A nice Spanish town, very clean, on a large river
(d) A dirty Spanish town, cluttered with litter
11. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
(a) On the floor
(b) In the servant's quarters
(c) In the guest room
(d) In a hotel room
12. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through a soot covered mill town
(b) Through the crowded city streets
(c) Through rough, rocky plains
(d) Through farming country with rocky hills
13. How do the spectators react when they feel they are cheated by Belmonte's bull fight?
(a) Sit down in silence
(b) Yell insults and throw food
(c) Turn their backs on him
(d) Refuse to applaud
14. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
(b) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(c) There is camaraderie between friends.
(d) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
15. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
(a) The fiesta
(b) The sombra
(c) The aficio
(d) The paseo
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
2. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
3. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
4. What will the spectators do on the morning of the first day of the bull fights?
5. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)