|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
(a) Dreaming is for children.
(b) Dreaming eases the burdens of the day.
(c) Don't pay any attention to dreams. They don't have any meaning.
(d) Jake should dream because all the successful businessmen are dreamers.
2. How long does the fiesta last?
(a) One day and night
(b) Only daytime celebrations for seven days
(c) Day and night for seven days
(d) Day and night for three days
3. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
(b) Vincente Girones
(c) Mike Campbell
(d) Pedro Romero
4. What is morality, according to Jake?
(a) Being kind to one another
(b) Helping your neighbor
(c) Things that make you disgusted.
(d) What they teach in church.
5. What item does Pedro Romero give to his sword-handler to bring to Brett who is sitting in the stands?
(a) His gold-brocaded cape
(b) His leather gloves
(c) His tri-cornered hat
(d) His black, silk sash
6. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
(a) The picadores
(b) The other bull fighters
(c) The bulls
(d) Some of his old class mates
7. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
(b) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
(c) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
(d) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
8. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) They each catch one trout.
(b) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(c) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(d) They don't get any bites all morning.
9. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
(a) The Spanish carabineers empty every bag and check the passport.
(b) The Spanish carabineers do not bother with the bags, but check the passport.
(c) The Spanish carabineers do a full body search on each traveler and check the passport.
(d) The Spanish carabineers open one bag and look at the passport.
10. What gifts does Wilson-Harris give to Jake and Bill when they leave for Pamplona?
(a) He gives each of them an envelope with flies for fishing.
(b) He gives them each a goatskin flask.
(c) He gives them each a bottle of wine.
(d) He gives them each a new rod.
11. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
(a) They feel good, healthy and friendly.
(b) They are ill from too much wine the night before.
(c) They are uncomfortable and edgy.
(d) They feel guilty for the argument the night before.
12. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
(b) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(c) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
(d) There is camaraderie between friends.
13. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through farming country with rocky hills
(b) Through a soot covered mill town
(c) Through the crowded city streets
(d) Through rough, rocky plains
14. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
(b) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
(c) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(d) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
15. Bill mentions that Romero's face looks badly bruised. What is Brett's reply?
(a) That Cohn is to blame.
(b) That Romero is badly hurt and should be in bed
(c) That Romero is hurt, but he will be fine
(d) That it isn't as bad as it looks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
2. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
3. What meal is served to Jake and Bill their first night in the hotel?
4. What is the reason Brett tells Jake she is a goner?
5. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)