|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Bill and Cohn make a bet over while eating at the Hotel Montoya?
(a) Bill bets Cohn fifty pesetas that Brett and Mike arrive that evening. Cohen says that they won't come.
(b) Cohn bets Bill that he will not be able to finish all the courses of the Spanish meal.
(c) Cohn bets Bill that he will not last to the end of the brutal bull fights.
(d) Cohn bets Bill one hundred pesetas that Brett and Mike will show up the next day.
2. What is the name of the man who was gored through the back and killed during the bull run?
(a) Vincente Girones
(b) Pedro Romero
(d) Mike Campbell
3. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
(a) They decide to take the noon bus for Burguete.
(b) They decide to wait until the next day before they go to Burguete.
(c) They decide that Jake and Cohn will go on to Burgete, and Bill will wait for Brett.
(d) They decide to go to San Sebastian to meet Brett and Mike.
4. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
(a) To prevent the bulls from running down the side streets when they were released into the street the next morning.
(b) For the fiesta parade the next day
(c) To make a place for tying the spectator's horses during the bull fight
(d) So the women could hang flowers from the posts for the fiesta
5. How does Pedro Romero's bull fighting invoke emotion in the crowd?
(a) He keeps the purity of line in his movements, letting the bull's horns pass closely by him.
(b) He corkscrews his body and leans away from the bull as it runs by.
(c) He loudly cheers each time the bull passes him.
(d) He uses many tricks to make it look like he is in danger.
6. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
(a) San Pamplona
(b) San Riau
(c) San Fermin
(d) San Sombra
7. When Jake returns to his room after his fight with Cohn, Bill tells him that Cohn wants to see him. What does Cohn want from Jake?
(a) To continue the fight
(b) The whereabouts of Brett
(c) An apology
8. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
(a) He says that Jake is too sensitive.
(b) He says that Jake is a good guy and Bill is fonder of him than anyone else.
(c) He says that Jake needs to stop being such a whiner.
(d) He says that Jake is more annoying than anyone else he knows.
9. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) They don't get any bites all morning.
(b) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(c) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(d) They each catch one trout.
10. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(b) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
(c) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
(d) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
11. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
(b) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
(c) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
(d) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
12. Why are Jake and Bill annoyed by the telegram from Cohn that says he will be arriving Thursday?
(a) The overly long message annoys them.
(b) The lateness of the message annoys them.
(c) The short, abrupt message annoys them.
(d) The tone of the message annoys them.
13. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through a soot covered mill town
(b) Through the crowded city streets
(c) Through rough, rocky plains
(d) Through farming country with rocky hills
14. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is extremely nervous and eager.
(b) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(c) He is feverish and shaky.
(d) He is nonchalant.
15. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
(a) She says that she is sick of him and he has behaved very badly.
(b) She says that she is going away with Cohn for good.
(c) She says that she is very fond of him and that it could lead to something more.
(d) She says that she is leaving Mike for Cohn.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
2. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
3. What does Bill tell Jake he should be the minute he gets up in the morning?
4. What is one of the methods smugglers use to cross from France into Spain?
5. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)