|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Robert Cohn feeling while he and Jake wait for Brett's train to arrive?
(a) He is nonchalant.
(b) He is relaxed and pleasant.
(c) He is extremely nervous and eager.
(d) He is feverish and shaky.
2. What does Brett say about Cohn after she tells him that she and Jake want to be alone?
(a) She says that she is going away with Cohn for good.
(b) She says that she is leaving Mike for Cohn.
(c) She says that she is very fond of him and that it could lead to something more.
(d) She says that she is sick of him and he has behaved very badly.
3. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
(b) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
(c) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
(d) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
4. Why do all the passengers sit on top of the bus before it leaves for Baguete?
(a) It is such a hot day; they sit on top of the bus and fan themselves.
(b) To get a better view of the town
(c) It is too smelly inside the bus.
(d) The inside of the bus is full of packages.
5. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) To get married
(b) To attend his mother's funeral
(c) He was broke.
(d) He missed his homeland.
6. What is the cost for room and board at Jake's hotel in Burguete?
(a) Seven pesetas, but the wine is included
(b) Twelve pesetas, which Jake feels is too much
(c) Three pesetas, which is cheap
(d) Five pesetas, which Jake feels is reasonable
7. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(b) They don't get any bites all morning.
(c) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(d) They each catch one trout.
8. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
(a) In the guest room
(b) In a hotel room
(c) On the floor
(d) In the servant's quarters
9. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
(b) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
(c) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
(d) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
10. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
(a) He says that Romero should find another line of work.
(b) He says that Romero is the best fighter he has ever seen.
(c) He says that Romero is just an amateur.
(d) He says that Romero's work is good but incomplete.
11. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
(a) Pedro Romero
(b) Jose Fermin
(c) Pedro Iruna
(d) Señor Gayarra
12. What does Bill reveal to Jake after they finish bantering about Henry's bicycle?
(a) He says that Jake needs to stop being such a whiner.
(b) He says that Jake is too sensitive.
(c) He says that Jake is more annoying than anyone else he knows.
(d) He says that Jake is a good guy and Bill is fonder of him than anyone else.
13. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
(b) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
(c) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
(d) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
14. What is the name of the hotel that Jake, Bill and Cohen stay at in Pamplona?
(a) Hotel Basque
(b) Hotel Torino
(c) Hotel Bayonne
(d) Hotel Montoya
15. What is an aficionado?
(a) A person who brings the bulls to the arena
(b) Someone who over indulges in wine
(c) A woman who throws flowers at the bull-fights
(d) A person who is passionate about the bull-fights
Short Answer Questions
1. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
2. What is the term used for the hour after dinner when the pretty girls, officers from the garrison, and the fashionable people walk in the square of Pamplona and the cafes fill up?
3. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
4. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
5. What do Jake, Bill and Cohn decide to do after Jake receives the telegram from Brett says she and Mike stopped in San Sebastian for the night?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)