|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While on the bus, Bill and Jake have a conversation with an old man who says that he lived in America forty years ago. Why did he return to Spain?
(a) He missed his homeland.
(b) He was broke.
(c) To get married
(d) To attend his mother's funeral
2. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
(b) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
(c) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
(d) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
3. What is the name of the religious festival celebrated on July 6?
(a) San Sombra
(b) San Fermin
(c) San Riau
(d) San Pamplona
4. Where does Jake go after he leaves the archivist's office?
(a) He walks to the cathedral, goes inside and prays.
(b) He walks back to the Hotel Montoya and takes a nap.
(c) He goes to the barber and takes a bath.
(d) He walks to the bull-fighting arena, sits in the stands and thinks.
5. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) They don't get any bites all morning.
(b) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
(c) They each catch one trout.
(d) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
6. How are the houses in Burguete arranged?
(a) In a circle around the town
(b) Along both sides of the road with no side streets
(c) Along both sides of the road and down side streets
(d) In city blocks
7. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through farming country with rocky hills
(b) Through a soot covered mill town
(c) Through rough, rocky plains
(d) Through the crowded city streets
8. What is the condition of the countryside in the Basque country?
(a) Dry, infertile land with small thatched huts scattered throughout
(b) The land is very rich and green with houses in good, clean condition.
(c) Overdeveloped land with many roads and vehicles
(d) Barren, forgettable countryside with small, dirty villages
9. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
(a) They go for a run through the town.
(b) They go to bed and read.
(c) They put on extra layers of clothing.
(d) They sit in front of the fireplace.
10. Where did Brett's husband, Ashley, make her sleep?
(a) In the servant's quarters
(b) On the floor
(c) In a hotel room
(d) In the guest room
11. Why do all the passengers sit on top of the bus before it leaves for Baguete?
(a) To get a better view of the town
(b) It is too smelly inside the bus.
(c) It is such a hot day; they sit on top of the bus and fan themselves.
(d) The inside of the bus is full of packages.
12. What is the mood of Jake, Brett, and Cohn on the day before the fiesta?
(a) They feel good, healthy and friendly.
(b) They are ill from too much wine the night before.
(c) They are uncomfortable and edgy.
(d) They feel guilty for the argument the night before.
13. Why were workmen putting up gate-posts that shut off the side streets in Pamplona?
(a) For the fiesta parade the next day
(b) To prevent the bulls from running down the side streets when they were released into the street the next morning.
(c) To make a place for tying the spectator's horses during the bull fight
(d) So the women could hang flowers from the posts for the fiesta
14. What advice does Bill give Jake about dreaming after they wake up from their afternoon nap?
(a) Jake should dream because all the successful businessmen are dreamers.
(b) Don't pay any attention to dreams. They don't have any meaning.
(c) Dreaming is for children.
(d) Dreaming eases the burdens of the day.
15. What is the weather like when Jake and Bill arrive in Burguete?
(a) Hot and sunny
(b) Humid and stifling
(c) Very cold
(d) Rainy and windy
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
2. How long does the fiesta last?
3. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
4. What fortune does Brett give to Pedro Romero when she reads his palm?
5. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)