|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mike compare Cohn to a steer?
(a) He says that Robert is always trying to keep the peace like a steer.
(b) He says that Robert is aggressive just like a steer, chasing after Brett.
(c) He says that like a steer, Robert lives a quiet life, never has to say anything, and hangs around Brett where he is not wanted.
(d) He says that Robert can be sacrificed like a steer.
2. What type of artwork is hanging from the walls in Jake's hotel?
(a) Spanish landscapes
(b) Dead rabbits, dead pheasants, and dead ducks
(c) Portraits of famous visitors to the hotel
(d) Bull-fighting paintings
3. Why does Cohn start a fight with Jake at the Cafe Suizo and knock him out?
(a) Jake tells Cohn to find other friends.
(b) Jake tells Cohn that he loves Brett.
(c) Cohn is angry that Jake takes Mike's side against him.
(d) Jake refuses to tell him where Brett is.
4. What part of the countryside did Jake's bus travel after stopping at the posada to drop off packages?
(a) Through rough, rocky plains
(b) Through farming country with rocky hills
(c) Through a soot covered mill town
(d) Through the crowded city streets
5. What did it mean when the Basque said "Arriba" to Bill and Jake?
(a) Stop drinking
(b) Put the cork on
(c) Lift it up
(d) Put it down
6. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
(b) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
(c) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(d) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
7. What is morality, according to Jake?
(a) Things that make you disgusted.
(b) Being kind to one another
(c) Helping your neighbor
(d) What they teach in church.
8. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
(a) Cohn says that he is only worried that he will be bored.
(b) Cohn is worried he might faint at the sight of the horse's blood.
(c) Cohn is afraid he will not be able to look at the dying horses.
(d) Cohn tells Bill to mind his own business.
9. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
(a) The other bull fighters
(b) The bulls
(c) The picadores
(d) Some of his old class mates
10. How does Jake feel about Robert Cohn after Brett does not show up on the train?
(a) Jake is unforgiving and jealous of Cohn. He hates him and wants to hurt him.
(b) He thinks Cohn is a good friend and has a pleasant attitude.
(c) He lets bygones be bygones and forgives Cohn for going to San Sebastian with Brett.
(d) He sympathizes with Cohn's disappointment when Brett doesn't show up.
11. What is Cohn's reaction when Mike starts toward him from around the table to start a fight over Brett?
(a) Cohn mumbles something and leaves the hotel.
(b) Cohn hides behind Jake, asking him to stop Mike.
(c) Cohn waits proudly and firmly for Mike to assault him. He wants to show he will fight for Brett.
(d) Cohn backs up a few steps, then turns and runs.
12. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
13. What keepsake does Romero hand to Brett after he kills the last bull?
(a) The bloody cape
(b) The bull's severed ear
(c) The bull's severed tongue
(d) His sword
14. Did Jake and Bill have any luck fishing after their long hike into the valley of the Rio de la Fabrica?
(a) They don't get any bites all morning.
(b) They each catch one trout.
(c) Jake catches six trout but Bill has no luck.
(d) Jake catches six trout and Bill catches four.
15. How does Jake feel after the fiesta and the bull fighting?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a Basque offer to Jake and Bill as they waited in the heat for the bus to leave for Burguete?
2. What is the name of the bull fighter that Montoya introduces to Jake and Bill?
3. What is the procedure to cross the border from France into Spain?
4. What does Mike say to Brett after Cohn beats Pedro Romero?
5. What is the name of the hotel that Jake, Bill and Cohen stay at in Pamplona?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)