|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
(a) They say that they are not the marrying kind and are not ready to settle down.
(b) They say that they don't want to be tied down and are only friends.
(c) They say that they are incompatible and argue too much.
(d) They say that they want to live their own lives and have their careers.
2. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
(a) The Princeton Review
(b) Review of the Arts
(c) The Fine Arts and Music Magazine
(d) The California Coastline
3. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
4. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
(b) He has traveled across America.
(c) He has sailed around the world.
(d) He has been all over Europe.
5. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
(a) He says that being in love is fun and an enjoyable feeling.
(b) He thinks love is for the birds.
(c) He believes love if not what the poets says it is.
(d) He thinks love is
6. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
(a) They tell him he is lucky; it could have been worse.
(b) They tell him not to think about it.
(c) They say it is better than getting killed.
(d) They tell him it is not important and he shouldn't worry about it.
7. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
(a) He explains that he has a nasty tongue but he doesn't mean what he says.
(b) He says that he had a rough night and isn't thinking straight.
(c) He says that he is only telling the truth.
(d) He blames his attitude on his war injury.
8. Bill is so annoyed about eating lunch at quarter past four that he stops a priest who is coming back from lunch. What comment does he make to the priest?
(a) He asks if the next time, the Catholics can be the last to be served.
(b) He wants to know when the Protestants get to eat and it makes him want to join the Klan.
(c) He asks if all the Catholics enjoyed making everyone else on the train wait for lunch.
(d) He inquires about the quality of the food and if there is any left.
9. What are Jake and Bill Gorton planning to do during their trip to Spain?
(a) Do some fishing and go to the festival in Pamplona
(b) Visit the vineyards in Pamplona
(c) Tour the Basque country and relax in Barcelona
(d) See an opera and do some fishing
10. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
(c) South America
11. Jake, Bill and their traveling companions in the train compartment talk about fishing trips. What comment does the American wife make about men?
(a) She says that most men are self-disciplined and decent.
(b) She says that only a few men get drunk on a regular basis.
(c) She implies that men get out of control if there is liquor around.
(d) She says that most men voted for prohibition.
12. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(b) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
(c) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
(d) From negative experiences he has had
13. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
(a) Because he has plenty of money to spend
(b) Because he is always drunk
(c) Because he has lived a full life and gotten to know the values, so he can enjoy everything.
(d) Because he has so many friends
14. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
(a) Heavyweight boxing champion
(b) Princeton Review editor
(c) Rhodes Scholar
(d) Middleweight boxing champion
15. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
(a) She is indifferent to Jake.
(b) She is excited about leaving Jake and getting on with her life.
(c) She is miserable and says she will not see Jake again.
(d) She is happy and looking forward to her wedding to Michael.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
2. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
3. Where was the Count when he received his wounds?
4. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
5. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)