|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
(a) He has to work nights.
(b) It's hard getting out with a wife and children.
(c) He is too tired by the end of the work day.
(d) His budget won't allow him to go out much.
2. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
(a) They say that they want to live their own lives and have their careers.
(b) They say that they don't want to be tied down and are only friends.
(c) They say that they are incompatible and argue too much.
(d) They say that they are not the marrying kind and are not ready to settle down.
3. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
(a) How to become a magnet for wealth and success
(b) The religious rebirth of an American boxer
(c) The financial and personal success of an entrepreneur in Europe
(d) The imaginary, amorous adventures of an Englishman in a romantic land
4. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
(a) He works, goes to the races, dines with friends and puts extra time in at the office.
(b) He mopes around, feeling sorry for himself.
(c) He begins writing his first novel.
(d) He drinks too much and pines over Brett.
5. Where does Jake tell Cohn that he met Brett?
(a) He met her in a bar in America.
(b) She was a V.A.D. in a hospital he was in during the war.
(c) They met while on a cruise to England.
(d) He first saw her in a café in Paris.
6. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has traveled across America.
(b) He has been all over Europe.
(c) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
(d) He has sailed around the world.
7. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
(a) Frances is angry that Cohn made most of the wedding plans without her.
(b) Frances is annoyed that Cohn will not let her go to England to visit friends.
(c) Frances feels Cohn is too possessive of her.
(d) Frances resents the fact that Cohn gave her 200 pounds to go back to England and stay with friends.
8. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
(a) She gives him a surprise anniversary party.
(b) She announces that she is pregnant again.
(c) She tells him she would like to get a job.
(d) She leaves him for a painter of miniatures.
9. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He joins the army.
(b) He goes on an extended European trip.
(c) He falls into depression.
(d) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
10. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
(a) They are on a pilgrimage to Rome, Biarritz, and Lourdes.
(b) They are touring the basilicas in Spain.
(c) They are going to the bull-fights in Spain.
(d) They are planning a fishing trip.
11. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
(a) That they live together
(b) That they get married
(c) That they avoid each other
(d) That they see other people
12. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
(a) He wouldn't be able to hang out in the cafes as much.
(b) He feels he is not good enough for her.
(c) His children would be hurt by the marriage.
(d) It would be romantic to say that he had a mistress for two years.
13. How does Brett say she is feeling after she and Jake get into the taxi?
(b) In love
14. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A raving beauty
(b) A lovely rose
(c) A bountiful beauty
(d) A lovely piece
15. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
(a) Jake and Spider Kelly
(b) Spider Kelly and Braddocks
(c) Braddocks and Jake
(d) Spider Kelly and Frances
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
2. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
3. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
4. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
5. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)