|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jake runs into some of his friends while eating at the restaurant with Georgette. Where does Braddocks ask Jake and Georgette to go?
(a) A walk along the Seinne
(b) To the dance club, bal musette
(c) To Foyot's
(d) To the Louvre
2. What does Jake do to pass the time while he waits for Brett to meet him at the Hotel Crillon?
(a) He has a glass of wine and watches people passing by.
(b) He writes letters on the hotel stationary.
(c) He works on an article he is writing for the paper.
(d) He reads the Bible in the lounge.
3. What does Brett say she did while in San Sebastian?
(a) She never went out and didn't do anything.
(b) She visited all the cafes in the area.
(c) She went sun bathing at the beach.
(d) She prayed at the Basílica de Santa María del Coro.
4. What news does Frances Clyne reveal to Jake when she asks him to go with her to the Dome?
(a) She informs Jake that Cohn wants Jake to be his best man for their wedding.
(b) She tells Jake that Cohn does not want to marry her anymore and that he hasn't lived enough.
(c) She tells Jake that she doesn't want Jake in the wedding.
(d) She wants Jake to arrange a surprise bachelor party for Cohn.
5. What is Harvey's opinion of Robert Cohn?
(a) He is a trustworthy friend.
(b) He is a witty, humorous man.
(c) He is a moron.
(d) He is a wonderful novelist.
6. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
(b) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
(c) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
(d) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
7. As Jake watches Brett walk up the street from his flat and get into the Count's limousine, what is he thinking?
(a) He thinks that he should have gone with Brett when she offered to bring him to Zelli's.
(b) He thinks that it is easy to be brave and ignore things in the daytime, but at night, all the worries and heartache returns.
(c) He thinks that he should be getting back to bed.
(d) He wonders what it would be like if he was able to have a normal relationship with Brett.
8. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
(a) Rhodes Scholar
(b) Princeton Review editor
(c) Heavyweight boxing champion
(d) Middleweight boxing champion
9. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
(a) The Princeton Review
(b) The Fine Arts and Music Magazine
(c) Review of the Arts
(d) The California Coastline
10. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
(a) Cohn and Brett
(b) Brett and Georgette
(c) Woolsey and Krum
(d) Braddocks and Cohn
11. Where does Jake tell Cohn that he met Brett?
(a) He first saw her in a café in Paris.
(b) They met while on a cruise to England.
(c) She was a V.A.D. in a hospital he was in during the war.
(d) He met her in a bar in America.
12. What happens to Bill Gorton during his stay in Vienna?
(a) Bill has a wonderful trip full of pleasant memories.
(b) Bill wins a large sum of money betting on a prize-fight.
(c) Bill is drunk for four days in Vienna and doesn't remember much about the trip.
(d) Bill is mugged while drunk in Vienna.
13. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A raving beauty
(b) A lovely piece
(c) A bountiful beauty
(d) A lovely rose
14. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
(a) Harvey has been threatened by debt collectors.
(b) Jake wants Harvey to place a bet for him with his bookie.
(c) Jake wants him to use the money to find a flat.
(d) Harvey hasn't eaten in five days, wants to be alone and doesn't care if he eats.
15. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
(a) He gets his nose flattened.
(b) He is knocked out.
(c) He wins on a TKO.
(d) He breaks his hand.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
2. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
3. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
4. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
5. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)