|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
(a) He feels sorry for her and hopes to talk her into a different lifestyle.
(b) He thinks it would be nice to eat with someone.
(c) He hopes it will lead to a more intimate time later in the evening.
(d) He thinks she looks down and out and could use a good meal.
2. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
(a) Jake spills hot coffee in his lap.
(b) Frances throws water in his face.
(c) Cohn kicks him under the table.
(d) Frances kicks him under the table.
3. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
4. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
(a) Cohn is afraid Jake won't return to Paris.
(b) Cohn doesn't want Jake to get involved with a woman.
(c) Cohn is afraid Frances will be angry and jealous.
(d) Cohn wants to stay in Paris.
5. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
6. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
(a) Dating many women is the thing to do and writing a novel is fulfilling.
(b) South America will help him live life and he doesn't like Paris.
(c) Everyone needs many children and live through your children.
(d) Going to see bull-fighters will spice up his life and getting married is necessary for a man.
7. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
(a) Robert Cohn and Harvey Stone
(b) Brett and Harvey Stone
(c) Brett and Robert Cohn
(d) Brett and Count Mippipopolous
8. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
(a) He breaks his hand.
(b) He gets his nose flattened.
(c) He wins on a TKO.
(d) He is knocked out.
9. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
(c) San Sebastian
10. What is Mike assigned to bring to Pamplona?
(a) Extra money for the nightlife
(b) Two rods with reels, lines and flies
(c) A case of wine
(d) Extra money for playing bridge
11. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
(b) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(c) From negative experiences he has had
(d) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
12. What does Jake do to pass the time while he waits for Brett to meet him at the Hotel Crillon?
(a) He writes letters on the hotel stationary.
(b) He has a glass of wine and watches people passing by.
(c) He works on an article he is writing for the paper.
(d) He reads the Bible in the lounge.
13. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
(a) He wouldn't be able to hang out in the cafes as much.
(b) He feels he is not good enough for her.
(c) It would be romantic to say that he had a mistress for two years.
(d) His children would be hurt by the marriage.
14. Who do Bill and Jake see in a taxi as they are walking down the street to a restaurant?
(a) Harvey Stone
(b) Robert Cohn
(c) Mike Campbell
(d) Lady Brett Ashley
15. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
(a) When he finds a better job
(b) As soon as they can get the divorce
(c) When Michael's family gives them the money for the wedding
(d) As soon as he returns to Paris
Short Answer Questions
1. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
2. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
3. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
4. What is Brett's formal title?
5. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)