|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
(a) She tells him she would like to get a job.
(b) She gives him a surprise anniversary party.
(c) She leaves him for a painter of miniatures.
(d) She announces that she is pregnant again.
2. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
(a) The California Coastline
(b) The Princeton Review
(c) Review of the Arts
(d) The Fine Arts and Music Magazine
3. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
(a) He decides to go anyway.
(b) He asks Jake to tell Brett not to go on the trip.
(c) He says that he would rather not go.
(d) He refuses to answer her letter.
4. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A raving beauty
(b) A lovely rose
(c) A bountiful beauty
(d) A lovely piece
5. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
(a) He tells Jake that he doesn't want to see him again.
(b) He tells Jake that he is the best friend he has.
(c) He threatens Jake and tells him to watch his tongue.
(d) He insults Jake, saying that he is not worth the trouble.
6. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
(a) Cohn is a conceited, self-centered man who is a sore loser at tennis.
(b) Cohn insults other people constantly, looking for ways to start arguments.
(c) Cohn is superficial, only caring about what he wears and how he looks.
(d) Cohn is an excellent tennis player with a good, athletic body. He is nice to other people, cheerful and didn't get angry when beaten in tennis.
7. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He moves closer to her.
(b) He bends over and kisses her.
(c) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
(d) He pushes her hand away.
8. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
(a) He reads the New York Times which he has delivered to him from America.
(b) He reads the Paris daily newspaper.
(c) He reads
(d) He reads a few pages of a novel, hoping it will put him to sleep.
9. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From negative experiences he has had
(b) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(c) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
(d) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
10. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
(a) They say that they don't want to be tied down and are only friends.
(b) They say that they are not the marrying kind and are not ready to settle down.
(c) They say that they want to live their own lives and have their careers.
(d) They say that they are incompatible and argue too much.
11. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
(a) Don't waste your life staying in one place.
(b) Live your life now because you will be dead in thirty years.
(c) You can't get away from yourself by traveling from place to place.
(d) Traveling is a great way to get away from your problems.
12. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
(a) That they see other people
(b) That they live together
(c) That they get married
(d) That they avoid each other
13. Why doesn't Brett want Jake to touch her?
(a) She loves someone else.
(b) She loves him and can't stand that they are unable to do anything about it.
(c) She has no feelings for him.
(d) She is not feeling well.
14. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
(a) Cohn doesn't want Jake to get involved with a woman.
(b) Cohn is afraid Jake won't return to Paris.
(c) Cohn is afraid Frances will be angry and jealous.
(d) Cohn wants to stay in Paris.
15. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
(a) To Brett's place
(b) To Jake's place
(c) To a show
(d) Just driving around
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
2. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
3. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
4. Bill is so annoyed about eating lunch at quarter past four that he stops a priest who is coming back from lunch. What comment does he make to the priest?
5. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)