|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
(a) Because he has plenty of money to spend
(b) Because he has lived a full life and gotten to know the values, so he can enjoy everything.
(c) Because he has so many friends
(d) Because he is always drunk
2. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
(b) From negative experiences he has had
(c) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(d) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
3. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
(b) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
(c) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
(d) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
4. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
5. What is Harvey's opinion of Robert Cohn?
(a) He is a moron.
(b) He is a wonderful novelist.
(c) He is a witty, humorous man.
(d) He is a trustworthy friend.
6. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
(a) He has a girlfriend.
(b) He had too much to drink.
(c) He was hurt in the war.
(d) He is afraid of catching something from her.
7. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
(a) She is not worth the time of day. Stay away from her.
(b) She will hurt you if you try to get close.
(c) He doesn't have anything to say about her. He doesn't want to discuss it.
(d) She's nice and her name is Lady Ashley. She is getting a divorce, so she can marry someone named Mike Campbell.
8. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
(b) He pushes her hand away.
(c) He bends over and kisses her.
(d) He moves closer to her.
9. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
(a) When he finds a better job
(b) When Michael's family gives them the money for the wedding
(c) As soon as they can get the divorce
(d) As soon as he returns to Paris
10. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
(a) As a poule he picked up on the street
(b) As his fiancée
(c) As his sister
(d) As his cousin
11. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
(a) He says that he would rather not go.
(b) He decides to go anyway.
(c) He asks Jake to tell Brett not to go on the trip.
(d) He refuses to answer her letter.
12. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
(a) Frances is annoyed that Cohn will not let her go to England to visit friends.
(b) Frances resents the fact that Cohn gave her 200 pounds to go back to England and stay with friends.
(c) Frances feels Cohn is too possessive of her.
(d) Frances is angry that Cohn made most of the wedding plans without her.
13. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
(a) She is indifferent to Jake.
(b) She is miserable and says she will not see Jake again.
(c) She is happy and looking forward to her wedding to Michael.
(d) She is excited about leaving Jake and getting on with her life.
14. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
(a) Brett and Harvey Stone
(b) Brett and Robert Cohn
(c) Robert Cohn and Harvey Stone
(d) Brett and Count Mippipopolous
15. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He wants to see his children.
(b) He goes to visit his mother.
(c) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
(d) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
2. Why does Jake think of Cohn as Moses seeing the Promised Land for the first time while they are having a drink together at the dance?
3. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
4. Robert Cohn is a Jewish man attending Princeton. How does this make him feel?
5. What is Mike Campbell's financial situation?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)