|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
(a) Brett likes to hang all her dresses in color coordinated order.
(b) Brett adds up the number of brandies she drinks when she goes out.
(c) Brett adds up the number of shoes she owns, buying a new pair every week.
(d) Brett enjoys it when more and more men become infatuated with her.
2. In a letter to Jake, what does Cohn tell Jake he has been doing in Hendaye?
(a) Gambling and drinking
(b) Having a quiet time, bathing, golfing, and playing bridge
(c) Going on long walks and hunting
(d) Bicycling and boating
3. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He moves closer to her.
(b) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
(c) He bends over and kisses her.
(d) He pushes her hand away.
4. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He joins the army.
(b) He falls into depression.
(c) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(d) He goes on an extended European trip.
5. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
(a) He was hurt in the war.
(b) He has a girlfriend.
(c) He had too much to drink.
(d) He is afraid of catching something from her.
6. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(b) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(c) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(d) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
7. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
(a) Harvey has been threatened by debt collectors.
(b) Jake wants Harvey to place a bet for him with his bookie.
(c) Jake wants him to use the money to find a flat.
(d) Harvey hasn't eaten in five days, wants to be alone and doesn't care if he eats.
8. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
(a) They go for a stroll in the park.
(b) They go to the Count's hotel room for champagne.
(c) They go for a tour of Paris in a horse-cab.
(d) They go dancing at Zelli's.
9. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
(a) Aloysius Kirby
(b) Robert Cohn
(c) Marshal Ney
(d) Count Mippipopolous
10. Robert Cohn is a Jewish man attending Princeton. How does this make him feel?
(a) Inferior and shy
(b) Angry and reclusive
(c) Superior and snooty
(d) Outgoing and proud
11. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
(a) Robert Cohn and Harvey Stone
(b) Brett and Count Mippipopolous
(c) Brett and Robert Cohn
(d) Brett and Harvey Stone
12. What does Jake do to pass the time while he waits for Brett to meet him at the Hotel Crillon?
(a) He has a glass of wine and watches people passing by.
(b) He reads the Bible in the lounge.
(c) He works on an article he is writing for the paper.
(d) He writes letters on the hotel stationary.
13. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
(a) He thinks about all the work he has to do the next day and if he will meet his deadlines.
(b) He thinks about the war injury he received in Italy and about what might have happened to the other men who were with him in the hospital.
(c) He thinks about Robert Cohn and South America.
(d) He thinks about going on a trip to the bull-fights.
14. Who do Bill and Jake see in a taxi as they are walking down the street to a restaurant?
(a) Lady Brett Ashley
(b) Robert Cohn
(c) Harvey Stone
(d) Mike Campbell
15. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
(a) Because he has plenty of money to spend
(b) Because he has so many friends
(c) Because he is always drunk
(d) Because he has lived a full life and gotten to know the values, so he can enjoy everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Frances tell Robert not to have scenes with his young ladies?
2. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
3. What is Harvey's opinion of Robert Cohn?
4. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
5. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)