|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(b) A partnership in a new magazine
2. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
3. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
(a) Middleweight boxing champion
(b) Rhodes Scholar
(c) Heavyweight boxing champion
(d) Princeton Review editor
4. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
(a) That they get married
(b) That they live together
(c) That they avoid each other
(d) That they see other people
5. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
(a) Two soldiers from America
(b) An American man, his wife, and their young son
(c) Count Mippipopolous
(d) Two single women traveling alone
6. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It puts the person into a major depression.
(b) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(c) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
(d) It has no effect on the mood.
7. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
(a) Jake spills hot coffee in his lap.
(b) Cohn kicks him under the table.
(c) Frances kicks him under the table.
(d) Frances throws water in his face.
8. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
(a) He asks if Jake is still in love with Brett.
(b) He asks if he said anything embarrassing the night before.
(c) He asks if Cohn is in love with Brett.
(d) He asks if he and Brett can go to Pamplona with Jake and Bill.
9. When Brett doesn't show up at the Hotel Crillon, Jake takes a cab to the Select. Who asks him to sit down when he arrives?
(a) Robert Cohn
(b) Brett Ashley
(d) Harvey Stone
10. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
(a) Spider Kelly and Braddocks
(b) Spider Kelly and Frances
(c) Jake and Spider Kelly
(d) Braddocks and Jake
11. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
(b) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
(c) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
(d) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
12. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(b) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(c) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(d) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
13. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
(a) They say it is better than getting killed.
(b) They tell him it is not important and he shouldn't worry about it.
(c) They tell him not to think about it.
(d) They tell him he is lucky; it could have been worse.
14. Jake runs into some of his friends while eating at the restaurant with Georgette. Where does Braddocks ask Jake and Georgette to go?
(a) A walk along the Seinne
(b) To Foyot's
(c) To the Louvre
(d) To the dance club, bal musette
15. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
(a) As a poule he picked up on the street
(b) As his fiancée
(c) As his cousin
(d) As his sister
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
2. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
3. Who do Bill and Jake see in a taxi as they are walking down the street to a restaurant?
4. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
5. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)