|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
(b) He bends over and kisses her.
(c) He pushes her hand away.
(d) He moves closer to her.
2. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
(a) Jake says that he is worried and depressed.
(b) Jake says that sometimes it bothers him.
(c) Jake says that he is through with worrying.
(d) Jake says that he is always worried about it.
3. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
(a) He reads the French morning papers, smokes and sets to work on the typewriter.
(b) He has a cup of coffee and then decides to go home.
(c) He sits at his desk, wallowing in self-pity.
(d) He tries to concentrate on his typing, but can't hold a clear thought.
4. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
(c) San Sebastian
5. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(b) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(c) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(d) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
6. What are Jake and Bill Gorton planning to do during their trip to Spain?
(a) Visit the vineyards in Pamplona
(b) Tour the Basque country and relax in Barcelona
(c) Do some fishing and go to the festival in Pamplona
(d) See an opera and do some fishing
7. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
(a) Harvey Stone
(b) Robert Cohn
(d) Brett and Mike
8. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
(a) It's hard getting out with a wife and children.
(b) His budget won't allow him to go out much.
(c) He has to work nights.
(d) He is too tired by the end of the work day.
9. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
(a) Cohn is afraid Frances will be angry and jealous.
(b) Cohn doesn't want Jake to get involved with a woman.
(c) Cohn wants to stay in Paris.
(d) Cohn is afraid Jake won't return to Paris.
10. What does Robert Cohn think about Paris after returning from America?
(a) He is sick of Paris.
(b) He considers Paris his home.
(c) He loves Paris and never wants to leave.
(d) Paris is one of his favorite cities.
11. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
(a) He's angry.
(b) He's disappointed but tries not to show it.
(c) He's very excited.
(d) He resigns himself to the fact that he will miss the fight.
12. Bill Gorton says that Vienna "is a strange city". What city does he compare it to?
(d) New York
13. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
(a) Brett adds up the number of shoes she owns, buying a new pair every week.
(b) Brett likes to hang all her dresses in color coordinated order.
(c) Brett adds up the number of brandies she drinks when she goes out.
(d) Brett enjoys it when more and more men become infatuated with her.
14. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
(a) She wouldn't like South America. She likes to be around a lot of people.
(b) She doesn't like foreign countries.
(c) She is afraid to travel.
(d) She thinks South America is the wilderness.
15. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
(a) Jake is sick and tired of hearing about South America, telling Cohn to drop the subject.
(b) Cohn is angry that Jake insults Brett by saying she married someone she didn't love, twice. Jake also tells him to go to hell.
(c) Jake is furious when Cohn makes a joke about his war injury.
(d) Cohn is insulted when Jake tells him to leave Frances because she is no good for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
2. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
3. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
4. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
5. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)