|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
(a) Aloysius Kirby
(b) Count Mippipopolous
(c) Marshal Ney
(d) Robert Cohn
2. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
(a) He begins writing his first novel.
(b) He drinks too much and pines over Brett.
(c) He mopes around, feeling sorry for himself.
(d) He works, goes to the races, dines with friends and puts extra time in at the office.
3. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
(a) The California Coastline
(b) Review of the Arts
(c) The Princeton Review
(d) The Fine Arts and Music Magazine
4. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
(a) When he finds a better job
(b) As soon as he returns to Paris
(c) When Michael's family gives them the money for the wedding
(d) As soon as they can get the divorce
5. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
(a) They tell him it is not important and he shouldn't worry about it.
(b) They tell him not to think about it.
(c) They tell him he is lucky; it could have been worse.
(d) They say it is better than getting killed.
6. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
(a) A bottle of wine
(b) His address
(c) Fifty francs
(d) A brandy and soda
7. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
(b) He wants to see his children.
(c) He goes to visit his mother.
(d) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
8. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
(a) He is too tired by the end of the work day.
(b) His budget won't allow him to go out much.
(c) He has to work nights.
(d) It's hard getting out with a wife and children.
9. Who do Bill and Jake see in a taxi as they are walking down the street to a restaurant?
(a) Lady Brett Ashley
(b) Robert Cohn
(c) Harvey Stone
(d) Mike Campbell
10. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
(a) He promoted her to an editorial position.
(b) He gave her an increase in pay.
(c) He mentioned her in his first novel.
(d) He got rid of her to please Frances.
11. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
(a) To Jake's place
(b) To a show
(c) Just driving around
(d) To Brett's place
12. How does Brett say she is feeling after she and Jake get into the taxi?
(a) In love
13. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(b) From negative experiences he has had
(c) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
(d) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
14. What does Brett say she did while in San Sebastian?
(a) She visited all the cafes in the area.
(b) She never went out and didn't do anything.
(c) She went sun bathing at the beach.
(d) She prayed at the Basílica de Santa María del Coro.
15. Where was the Count when he received his wounds?
(a) On a naval ship
(b) On a business trip
(c) Fighting in a revolution
(d) In the Italian front
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
2. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
3. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
4. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
5. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)