|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(d) A partnership in a new magazine
2. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
(a) He reads papers and falls asleep.
(b) He helps Jake sort out carbons.
(c) He looks out the window at the Paris streets.
(d) He stuffs manila envelopes for Jake.
3. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
(a) Robert Cohn and Harvey Stone
(b) Brett and Robert Cohn
(c) Brett and Count Mippipopolous
(d) Brett and Harvey Stone
4. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
(a) He says that his life is passing him by. He's losing his way.
(b) He says that he doesn't want it to happen to him.
(c) He says that he has to go to South America. He just has to.
(d) He says that he can't do it. Nothing will make him do it.
5. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
(a) He reads a few pages of a novel, hoping it will put him to sleep.
(b) He reads the Paris daily newspaper.
(c) He reads the New York Times which he has delivered to him from America.
(d) He reads
6. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
(a) The financial and personal success of an entrepreneur in Europe
(b) The imaginary, amorous adventures of an Englishman in a romantic land
(c) How to become a magnet for wealth and success
(d) The religious rebirth of an American boxer
7. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
(a) They are going to the bull-fights in Spain.
(b) They are touring the basilicas in Spain.
(c) They are planning a fishing trip.
(d) They are on a pilgrimage to Rome, Biarritz, and Lourdes.
8. Robert Cohn is a Jewish man attending Princeton. How does this make him feel?
(a) Outgoing and proud
(b) Angry and reclusive
(c) Inferior and shy
(d) Superior and snooty
9. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
(a) She is miserable and says she will not see Jake again.
(b) She is happy and looking forward to her wedding to Michael.
(c) She is excited about leaving Jake and getting on with her life.
(d) She is indifferent to Jake.
10. Jake runs into some of his friends while eating at the restaurant with Georgette. Where does Braddocks ask Jake and Georgette to go?
(a) To the Louvre
(b) To Foyot's
(c) A walk along the Seinne
(d) To the dance club, bal musette
11. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
(a) He refuses to answer her letter.
(b) He asks Jake to tell Brett not to go on the trip.
(c) He says that he would rather not go.
(d) He decides to go anyway.
12. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
(a) Count Mippipopolous
(b) Two soldiers from America
(c) Two single women traveling alone
(d) An American man, his wife, and their young son
13. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
(a) He's angry.
(b) He's disappointed but tries not to show it.
(c) He resigns himself to the fact that he will miss the fight.
(d) He's very excited.
14. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
(a) He promoted her to an editorial position.
(b) He gave her an increase in pay.
(c) He mentioned her in his first novel.
(d) He got rid of her to please Frances.
15. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
(b) He has sailed around the world.
(c) He has been all over Europe.
(d) He has traveled across America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
2. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
3. What are Jake and Bill Gorton planning to do during their trip to Spain?
4. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
5. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)