|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake think of Cohn as Moses seeing the Promised Land for the first time while they are having a drink together at the dance?
(a) Cohn is in awe of the night life in Paris.
(b) Cohn is eagerly looking at Lady Brett, hoping for a dance.
(c) Cohn is expectantly hoping for a night with Georgette.
(d) Cohn is looking with adoration at his fiancée, Frances.
2. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
(a) Cohn and Brett
(b) Woolsey and Krum
(c) Braddocks and Cohn
(d) Brett and Georgette
3. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
(a) As soon as he returns to Paris
(b) As soon as they can get the divorce
(c) When he finds a better job
(d) When Michael's family gives them the money for the wedding
4. Bill Gorton says that Vienna "is a strange city". What city does he compare it to?
(d) New York
5. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
(a) She will hurt you if you try to get close.
(b) She is not worth the time of day. Stay away from her.
(c) She's nice and her name is Lady Ashley. She is getting a divorce, so she can marry someone named Mike Campbell.
(d) He doesn't have anything to say about her. He doesn't want to discuss it.
6. What is Mike assigned to bring to Pamplona?
(a) Extra money for the nightlife
(b) Two rods with reels, lines and flies
(c) A case of wine
(d) Extra money for playing bridge
7. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He pushes her hand away.
(b) He moves closer to her.
(c) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
(d) He bends over and kisses her.
8. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(b) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
(c) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(d) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
9. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
(a) Take a horse-cab around the city
(b) To Robert Cohn's
(c) To the Select to see Brett and Mike Campbell
(d) Back to Jake's flat
10. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
(b) It has no effect on the mood.
(c) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(d) It puts the person into a major depression.
11. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
(a) He drinks too much and pines over Brett.
(b) He works, goes to the races, dines with friends and puts extra time in at the office.
(c) He mopes around, feeling sorry for himself.
(d) He begins writing his first novel.
12. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
(a) He tells Jake that he doesn't want to see him again.
(b) He threatens Jake and tells him to watch his tongue.
(c) He insults Jake, saying that he is not worth the trouble.
(d) He tells Jake that he is the best friend he has.
13. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
(a) Spider Kelly and Frances
(b) Spider Kelly and Braddocks
(c) Jake and Spider Kelly
(d) Braddocks and Jake
14. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(b) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
(c) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
(d) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
15. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Robert Cohn spend his time while in Europe with Frances?
2. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
3. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
4. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
5. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)