|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
(a) She announces that she is pregnant again.
(b) She gives him a surprise anniversary party.
(c) She leaves him for a painter of miniatures.
(d) She tells him she would like to get a job.
2. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
(a) That they see other people
(b) That they get married
(c) That they avoid each other
(d) That they live together
3. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
(a) He threatens Jake and tells him to watch his tongue.
(b) He insults Jake, saying that he is not worth the trouble.
(c) He tells Jake that he is the best friend he has.
(d) He tells Jake that he doesn't want to see him again.
4. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
(a) His children would be hurt by the marriage.
(b) He feels he is not good enough for her.
(c) He wouldn't be able to hang out in the cafes as much.
(d) It would be romantic to say that he had a mistress for two years.
5. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
(a) Jake is furious when Cohn makes a joke about his war injury.
(b) Jake is sick and tired of hearing about South America, telling Cohn to drop the subject.
(c) Cohn is angry that Jake insults Brett by saying she married someone she didn't love, twice. Jake also tells him to go to hell.
(d) Cohn is insulted when Jake tells him to leave Frances because she is no good for him.
6. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
(a) He wishes he had stayed in bed.
(b) He walks down the street in a fog, not noticing the events around him.
(c) He is still distraught over Brett and skips breakfast.
(d) He feels it is a fine and pleasant morning.
7. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
(a) San Sebastian
8. Why doesn't Brett want Jake to touch her?
(a) She is not feeling well.
(b) She loves him and can't stand that they are unable to do anything about it.
(c) She loves someone else.
(d) She has no feelings for him.
9. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
(a) They are low income, struggling to survive.
(b) They are one of the richest Jewish, New York families.
(c) They are unemployed with a bleak future.
(d) They are middle class working people.
10. When Jake and Bill try to get tickets for the first lunch service on the train, what does the conductor tell them?
(a) They are all reserved but he will find them a spot for ten francs.
(b) He gives them tickets and tells them to enjoy the ride.
(c) They can have tickets to the second serving.
(d) They are all reserved. There is nothing available until the fifth at three-thirty.
11. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He falls into depression.
(b) He goes on an extended European trip.
(c) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(d) He joins the army.
12. What is the view Jake and Bill have from the train as they pass through Landes?
(a) They see hills covered with olive trees.
(b) They see farmland of steer and bulls.
(c) They see bustling cities with sidewalks full of people.
(d) They see the sun set, wooded hills, sandy pine country, heather, clearings with houses and an occasional sawmill.
13. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(b) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(c) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
(d) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
14. Bill Gorton says that Vienna "is a strange city". What city does he compare it to?
(b) New York
15. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
(a) As a poule he picked up on the street
(b) As his cousin
(c) As his fiancée
(d) As his sister
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
2. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
3. In a letter to Jake, what does Cohn tell Jake he has been doing in Hendaye?
4. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
5. Jake runs into some of his friends while eating at the restaurant with Georgette. Where does Braddocks ask Jake and Georgette to go?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)