Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
(a) He says that he is only telling the truth.
(b) He explains that he has a nasty tongue but he doesn't mean what he says.
(c) He blames his attitude on his war injury.
(d) He says that he had a rough night and isn't thinking straight.
2. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
(a) She is not worth the time of day. Stay away from her.
(b) She will hurt you if you try to get close.
(c) She's nice and her name is Lady Ashley. She is getting a divorce, so she can marry someone named Mike Campbell.
(d) He doesn't have anything to say about her. He doesn't want to discuss it.
3. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
(a) Brett and Mike
(c) Robert Cohn
(d) Harvey Stone
4. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
(a) He tells Brett she cannot go to Pamplona.
(b) His eyes tear up and his lip trembles.
(c) He is nasty and sarcastic.
(d) He is indifferent to the whole situation.
5. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He falls into depression.
(b) He joins the army.
(c) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(d) He goes on an extended European trip.
6. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
(a) He says that he has to go to South America. He just has to.
(b) He says that he doesn't want it to happen to him.
(c) He says that his life is passing him by. He's losing his way.
(d) He says that he can't do it. Nothing will make him do it.
7. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
(a) Brett and Harvey Stone
(b) Brett and Count Mippipopolous
(c) Brett and Robert Cohn
(d) Robert Cohn and Harvey Stone
8. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
(a) He feels he is not good enough for her.
(b) He wouldn't be able to hang out in the cafes as much.
(c) His children would be hurt by the marriage.
(d) It would be romantic to say that he had a mistress for two years.
9. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
(a) Count Mippipopolous
(b) An American man, his wife, and their young son
(c) Two single women traveling alone
(d) Two soldiers from America
10. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
(a) He thinks about going on a trip to the bull-fights.
(b) He thinks about all the work he has to do the next day and if he will meet his deadlines.
(c) He thinks about Robert Cohn and South America.
(d) He thinks about the war injury he received in Italy and about what might have happened to the other men who were with him in the hospital.
11. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has traveled across America.
(b) He has been all over Europe.
(c) He has sailed around the world.
(d) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
12. Why does Jake think of Cohn as Moses seeing the Promised Land for the first time while they are having a drink together at the dance?
(a) Cohn is in awe of the night life in Paris.
(b) Cohn is looking with adoration at his fiancée, Frances.
(c) Cohn is expectantly hoping for a night with Georgette.
(d) Cohn is eagerly looking at Lady Brett, hoping for a dance.
13. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
(a) They tell him it is not important and he shouldn't worry about it.
(b) They tell him not to think about it.
(c) They say it is better than getting killed.
(d) They tell him he is lucky; it could have been worse.
14. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It has no effect on the mood.
(b) It puts the person into a major depression.
(c) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(d) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
15. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
(a) Braddocks and Cohn
(b) Brett and Georgette
(c) Woolsey and Krum
(d) Cohn and Brett
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
2. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
3. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
4. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
5. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)