|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Krum have a difficult time going out to the Dingo or the Select?
(a) His budget won't allow him to go out much.
(b) It's hard getting out with a wife and children.
(c) He is too tired by the end of the work day.
(d) He has to work nights.
2. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
(a) He gave her an increase in pay.
(b) He mentioned her in his first novel.
(c) He promoted her to an editorial position.
(d) He got rid of her to please Frances.
3. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
(a) He wonders why Cohn allows Frances to talk to him in such an insulting manner and why he doesn't do something to stop her.
(b) He wonders if Frances would like to go out with him now that Cohen was out of the picture.
(c) He wonders why Frances ever stayed with Cohn as long as she did.
(d) He wonders how Cohn could be such an uncaring human being.
4. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
(b) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
(c) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
(d) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
5. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
(a) He wants to inquire into investing in coffee beans.
(b) He is afraid his life is moving too fast and he is not really living it.
(c) He wants to research the area before taking Frances there.
(d) He wants to buy a vacation home there for Frances.
6. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
(a) South America will help him live life and he doesn't like Paris.
(b) Dating many women is the thing to do and writing a novel is fulfilling.
(c) Everyone needs many children and live through your children.
(d) Going to see bull-fighters will spice up his life and getting married is necessary for a man.
7. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
(a) He had too much to drink.
(b) He has a girlfriend.
(c) He is afraid of catching something from her.
(d) He was hurt in the war.
8. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
(a) As his fiancée
(b) As his sister
(c) As his cousin
(d) As a poule he picked up on the street
9. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(b) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
(c) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
(d) From negative experiences he has had
10. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
(a) He gets his nose flattened.
(b) He wins on a TKO.
(c) He breaks his hand.
(d) He is knocked out.
11. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He wants to see his children.
(b) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
(c) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
(d) He goes to visit his mother.
12. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
(a) Because he has plenty of money to spend
(b) Because he is always drunk
(c) Because he has so many friends
(d) Because he has lived a full life and gotten to know the values, so he can enjoy everything.
13. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
(a) She is happy and looking forward to her wedding to Michael.
(b) She is indifferent to Jake.
(c) She is excited about leaving Jake and getting on with her life.
(d) She is miserable and says she will not see Jake again.
14. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
(a) That they live together
(b) That they see other people
(c) That they avoid each other
(d) That they get married
15. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has been all over Europe.
(b) He has sailed around the world.
(c) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
(d) He has traveled across America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mike Campbell's financial situation?
2. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
3. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
4. What is Brett's formal title?
5. What does Robert Cohn think about Paris after returning from America?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)