|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
(a) He had an argument with the owner.
(b) Too many of his fellow Americans go there
(c) He doesn't care for the menu.
(d) He prefers eating at home.
2. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
(c) Robert Cohn
(d) Brett Ashley
3. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(b) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
(c) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
(d) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
4. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
(a) Because he is always drunk
(b) Because he has lived a full life and gotten to know the values, so he can enjoy everything.
(c) Because he has so many friends
(d) Because he has plenty of money to spend
5. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
(a) She is indifferent to Jake.
(b) She is miserable and says she will not see Jake again.
(c) She is happy and looking forward to her wedding to Michael.
(d) She is excited about leaving Jake and getting on with her life.
6. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
(a) Jake spills hot coffee in his lap.
(b) Cohn kicks him under the table.
(c) Frances kicks him under the table.
(d) Frances throws water in his face.
7. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
(a) She is afraid to travel.
(b) She wouldn't like South America. She likes to be around a lot of people.
(c) She doesn't like foreign countries.
(d) She thinks South America is the wilderness.
8. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
(a) He begins writing his first novel.
(b) He drinks too much and pines over Brett.
(c) He mopes around, feeling sorry for himself.
(d) He works, goes to the races, dines with friends and puts extra time in at the office.
9. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
(b) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
(c) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
(d) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
10. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(d) A partnership in a new magazine
11. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
12. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
(a) The California Coastline
(b) Review of the Arts
(c) The Fine Arts and Music Magazine
(d) The Princeton Review
13. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
(a) To Brett's place
(b) To a show
(c) To Jake's place
(d) Just driving around
14. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
(a) He feels sorry for her and hopes to talk her into a different lifestyle.
(b) He thinks she looks down and out and could use a good meal.
(c) He thinks it would be nice to eat with someone.
(d) He hopes it will lead to a more intimate time later in the evening.
15. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(b) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(c) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
(d) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
2. In a letter to Jake, what does Cohn tell Jake he has been doing in Hendaye?
3. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
4. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
5. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)