|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frances tell Robert not to have scenes with his young ladies?
(a) He will cry and not be able to remember what was said.
(b) He will upset the ladies so much, they will cry.
(c) He will be seen as a hard-hearted writer.
(d) He will turn his readers against him.
2. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
(a) He stuffs manila envelopes for Jake.
(b) He reads papers and falls asleep.
(c) He looks out the window at the Paris streets.
(d) He helps Jake sort out carbons.
3. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
4. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
(a) An American man, his wife, and their young son
(b) Two soldiers from America
(c) Two single women traveling alone
(d) Count Mippipopolous
5. What is Mike assigned to bring to Pamplona?
(a) Extra money for the nightlife
(b) Extra money for playing bridge
(c) A case of wine
(d) Two rods with reels, lines and flies
6. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
(a) San Sebastian
7. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has been all over Europe.
(b) He has traveled across America.
(c) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
(d) He has sailed around the world.
8. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
(a) Dating many women is the thing to do and writing a novel is fulfilling.
(b) Everyone needs many children and live through your children.
(c) Going to see bull-fighters will spice up his life and getting married is necessary for a man.
(d) South America will help him live life and he doesn't like Paris.
9. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
10. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
(b) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(c) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
(d) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
11. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
(a) Robert Cohn
(b) Harvey Stone
(c) Brett and Mike
12. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
(a) Live your life now because you will be dead in thirty years.
(b) Don't waste your life staying in one place.
(c) You can't get away from yourself by traveling from place to place.
(d) Traveling is a great way to get away from your problems.
13. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
(a) To Robert Cohn's
(b) Take a horse-cab around the city
(c) To the Select to see Brett and Mike Campbell
(d) Back to Jake's flat
14. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
(a) Brett and Georgette
(b) Woolsey and Krum
(c) Braddocks and Cohn
(d) Cohn and Brett
15. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
(b) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
(c) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
(d) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Brett want Jake to touch her?
2. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
3. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
4. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
5. In a letter to Jake, what does Cohn tell Jake he has been doing in Hendaye?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)