|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
(a) San Sebastian
2. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
(a) They say that they don't want to be tied down and are only friends.
(b) They say that they are incompatible and argue too much.
(c) They say that they want to live their own lives and have their careers.
(d) They say that they are not the marrying kind and are not ready to settle down.
3. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
(b) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(c) From negative experiences he has had
(d) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
4. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
(a) To a show
(b) Just driving around
(c) To Jake's place
(d) To Brett's place
5. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A lovely piece
(b) A bountiful beauty
(c) A lovely rose
(d) A raving beauty
6. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(b) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
(c) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
(d) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
7. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(b) He goes on an extended European trip.
(c) He falls into depression.
(d) He joins the army.
8. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
(a) The Fine Arts and Music Magazine
(b) The Princeton Review
(c) Review of the Arts
(d) The California Coastline
9. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
(a) He says that he would rather not go.
(b) He asks Jake to tell Brett not to go on the trip.
(c) He decides to go anyway.
(d) He refuses to answer her letter.
10. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
(a) As a poule he picked up on the street
(b) As his cousin
(c) As his sister
(d) As his fiancée
11. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
(a) He helps Jake sort out carbons.
(b) He reads papers and falls asleep.
(c) He looks out the window at the Paris streets.
(d) He stuffs manila envelopes for Jake.
12. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
(a) When Michael's family gives them the money for the wedding
(b) As soon as they can get the divorce
(c) As soon as he returns to Paris
(d) When he finds a better job
13. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
(a) Aloysius Kirby
(b) Marshal Ney
(c) Robert Cohn
(d) Count Mippipopolous
14. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
(a) He thinks love is for the birds.
(b) He thinks love is
(c) He believes love if not what the poets says it is.
(d) He says that being in love is fun and an enjoyable feeling.
15. How did Robert Cohn spend his time while in Europe with Frances?
(a) He starts a new arts magazine, and wines and dines Frances.
(b) He takes up painting and sculpture.
(c) He writes a novel, reads books, plays bridge, plays tennis and boxes.
(d) He goes back to school and studies law.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
2. What happens to Bill Gorton during his stay in Vienna?
3. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
4. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
5. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)