|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
(a) Jake is furious when Cohn makes a joke about his war injury.
(b) Jake is sick and tired of hearing about South America, telling Cohn to drop the subject.
(c) Cohn is angry that Jake insults Brett by saying she married someone she didn't love, twice. Jake also tells him to go to hell.
(d) Cohn is insulted when Jake tells him to leave Frances because she is no good for him.
2. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
(a) South America
3. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
(a) To the Select to see Brett and Mike Campbell
(b) Take a horse-cab around the city
(c) To Robert Cohn's
(d) Back to Jake's flat
4. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He bends over and kisses her.
(b) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
(c) He moves closer to her.
(d) He pushes her hand away.
5. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
(a) He helps Jake sort out carbons.
(b) He reads papers and falls asleep.
(c) He looks out the window at the Paris streets.
(d) He stuffs manila envelopes for Jake.
6. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
(a) They tell him not to think about it.
(b) They tell him it is not important and he shouldn't worry about it.
(c) They say it is better than getting killed.
(d) They tell him he is lucky; it could have been worse.
7. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
(a) Frances throws water in his face.
(b) Frances kicks him under the table.
(c) Cohn kicks him under the table.
(d) Jake spills hot coffee in his lap.
8. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
(b) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
(c) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(d) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
9. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
(a) He reads the French morning papers, smokes and sets to work on the typewriter.
(b) He sits at his desk, wallowing in self-pity.
(c) He tries to concentrate on his typing, but can't hold a clear thought.
(d) He has a cup of coffee and then decides to go home.
10. What is Mike Campbell's financial situation?
(a) He is independently wealthy.
(b) He is a self-made millionaire.
(c) He has a small nest egg in the bank.
(d) He is in an undischarged bankruptcy.
11. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(d) A partnership in a new magazine
12. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
(b) Robert Cohn
(c) Brett and Mike
(d) Harvey Stone
13. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(b) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(c) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
(d) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
14. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
(b) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
(c) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
(d) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
15. Why does Frances tell Robert not to have scenes with his young ladies?
(a) He will cry and not be able to remember what was said.
(b) He will upset the ladies so much, they will cry.
(c) He will be seen as a hard-hearted writer.
(d) He will turn his readers against him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
2. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
3. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
4. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
5. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)