|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jake watches Brett walk up the street from his flat and get into the Count's limousine, what is he thinking?
(a) He thinks that he should be getting back to bed.
(b) He thinks that he should have gone with Brett when she offered to bring him to Zelli's.
(c) He wonders what it would be like if he was able to have a normal relationship with Brett.
(d) He thinks that it is easy to be brave and ignore things in the daytime, but at night, all the worries and heartache returns.
2. When Jake and Bill try to get tickets for the first lunch service on the train, what does the conductor tell them?
(a) They can have tickets to the second serving.
(b) They are all reserved. There is nothing available until the fifth at three-thirty.
(c) He gives them tickets and tells them to enjoy the ride.
(d) They are all reserved but he will find them a spot for ten francs.
3. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
(a) She is afraid to travel.
(b) She thinks South America is the wilderness.
(c) She wouldn't like South America. She likes to be around a lot of people.
(d) She doesn't like foreign countries.
4. What is the view Jake and Bill have from the train as they pass through Landes?
(a) They see the sun set, wooded hills, sandy pine country, heather, clearings with houses and an occasional sawmill.
(b) They see hills covered with olive trees.
(c) They see farmland of steer and bulls.
(d) They see bustling cities with sidewalks full of people.
5. Jake runs into some of his friends while eating at the restaurant with Georgette. Where does Braddocks ask Jake and Georgette to go?
(a) To the Louvre
(b) To Foyot's
(c) To the dance club, bal musette
(d) A walk along the Seinne
6. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
(a) Horse racers
(d) African safari hunters
7. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
8. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(b) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
(c) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(d) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
9. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It puts the person into a major depression.
(b) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(c) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
(d) It has no effect on the mood.
10. Bill Gorton says that Vienna "is a strange city". What city does he compare it to?
(a) New York
11. Who do Bill and Jake see in a taxi as they are walking down the street to a restaurant?
(a) Robert Cohn
(b) Lady Brett Ashley
(c) Mike Campbell
(d) Harvey Stone
12. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
(a) He mopes around, feeling sorry for himself.
(b) He works, goes to the races, dines with friends and puts extra time in at the office.
(c) He drinks too much and pines over Brett.
(d) He begins writing his first novel.
13. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
(a) Because he has plenty of money to spend
(b) Because he has lived a full life and gotten to know the values, so he can enjoy everything.
(c) Because he is always drunk
(d) Because he has so many friends
14. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
(a) He believes love if not what the poets says it is.
(b) He thinks love is
(c) He says that being in love is fun and an enjoyable feeling.
(d) He thinks love is for the birds.
15. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He joins the army.
(b) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(c) He falls into depression.
(d) He goes on an extended European trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
2. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
3. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
4. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
5. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)