|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cohn decide when Brett sends him a letter saying he doesn't have to go on the trip to Spain with them?
(a) He asks Jake to tell Brett not to go on the trip.
(b) He decides to go anyway.
(c) He says that he would rather not go.
(d) He refuses to answer her letter.
2. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
(a) She announces that she is pregnant again.
(b) She leaves him for a painter of miniatures.
(c) She gives him a surprise anniversary party.
(d) She tells him she would like to get a job.
3. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
4. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He falls into depression.
(b) He joins the army.
(c) He goes on an extended European trip.
(d) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
5. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(b) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
(c) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(d) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
6. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
(a) Just driving around
(b) To Brett's place
(c) To a show
(d) To Jake's place
7. Where was the Count when he received his wounds?
(a) Fighting in a revolution
(b) In the Italian front
(c) On a business trip
(d) On a naval ship
8. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
(a) Cohn wants to stay in Paris.
(b) Cohn doesn't want Jake to get involved with a woman.
(c) Cohn is afraid Jake won't return to Paris.
(d) Cohn is afraid Frances will be angry and jealous.
9. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
(a) He wonders how Cohn could be such an uncaring human being.
(b) He wonders why Frances ever stayed with Cohn as long as she did.
(c) He wonders why Cohn allows Frances to talk to him in such an insulting manner and why he doesn't do something to stop her.
(d) He wonders if Frances would like to go out with him now that Cohen was out of the picture.
10. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
(b) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
(c) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
(d) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
11. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
(a) Never be daunted
(b) Write the great American novel
(c) Try to stop injustice
(d) Invest wisely
12. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
(a) He gets his nose flattened.
(b) He is knocked out.
(c) He wins on a TKO.
(d) He breaks his hand.
13. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
(a) He gave her an increase in pay.
(b) He promoted her to an editorial position.
(c) He mentioned her in his first novel.
(d) He got rid of her to please Frances.
14. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
(b) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
(c) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
(d) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
15. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
(a) They say that they are incompatible and argue too much.
(b) They say that they want to live their own lives and have their careers.
(c) They say that they don't want to be tied down and are only friends.
(d) They say that they are not the marrying kind and are not ready to settle down.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jake and Bill try to get tickets for the first lunch service on the train, what does the conductor tell them?
2. What does Brett say she did while in San Sebastian?
3. What news does Frances Clyne reveal to Jake when she asks him to go with her to the Dome?
4. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
5. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)