|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the view Jake and Bill have from the train as they pass through Landes?
(a) They see hills covered with olive trees.
(b) They see bustling cities with sidewalks full of people.
(c) They see farmland of steer and bulls.
(d) They see the sun set, wooded hills, sandy pine country, heather, clearings with houses and an occasional sawmill.
2. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
(a) They say that they want to live their own lives and have their careers.
(b) They say that they are not the marrying kind and are not ready to settle down.
(c) They say that they are incompatible and argue too much.
(d) They say that they don't want to be tied down and are only friends.
3. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He pushes her hand away.
(b) He bends over and kisses her.
(c) He moves closer to her.
(d) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
4. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
5. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
(a) As a poule he picked up on the street
(b) As his sister
(c) As his cousin
(d) As his fiancée
6. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
(a) Brett enjoys it when more and more men become infatuated with her.
(b) Brett adds up the number of shoes she owns, buying a new pair every week.
(c) Brett adds up the number of brandies she drinks when she goes out.
(d) Brett likes to hang all her dresses in color coordinated order.
7. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
(a) He got rid of her to please Frances.
(b) He gave her an increase in pay.
(c) He promoted her to an editorial position.
(d) He mentioned her in his first novel.
8. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
(a) From Fances's bad attitude toward Paris
(b) From the opinionated writings of Mencken
(c) From cultural discussions with Braddocks
(d) From negative experiences he has had
9. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has been all over Europe.
(b) He has traveled across America.
(c) He has sailed around the world.
(d) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
10. When Brett doesn't show up at the Hotel Crillon, Jake takes a cab to the Select. Who asks him to sit down when he arrives?
(b) Harvey Stone
(c) Robert Cohn
(d) Brett Ashley
11. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
(a) He asks if he said anything embarrassing the night before.
(b) He asks if he and Brett can go to Pamplona with Jake and Bill.
(c) He asks if Jake is still in love with Brett.
(d) He asks if Cohn is in love with Brett.
12. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
(a) Jake wants Harvey to place a bet for him with his bookie.
(b) Jake wants him to use the money to find a flat.
(c) Harvey hasn't eaten in five days, wants to be alone and doesn't care if he eats.
(d) Harvey has been threatened by debt collectors.
13. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
(a) To the Select to see Brett and Mike Campbell
(b) Take a horse-cab around the city
(c) To Robert Cohn's
(d) Back to Jake's flat
14. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
(a) They are low income, struggling to survive.
(b) They are one of the richest Jewish, New York families.
(c) They are unemployed with a bleak future.
(d) They are middle class working people.
15. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
(a) He reads
(b) He reads the Paris daily newspaper.
(c) He reads a few pages of a novel, hoping it will put him to sleep.
(d) He reads the New York Times which he has delivered to him from America.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
2. What is Mike assigned to bring to Pamplona?
3. What does Robert Cohn think about Paris after returning from America?
4. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
5. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)