|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
(a) Braddocks and Cohn
(b) Woolsey and Krum
(c) Cohn and Brett
(d) Brett and Georgette
2. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
(a) Brett likes to hang all her dresses in color coordinated order.
(b) Brett enjoys it when more and more men become infatuated with her.
(c) Brett adds up the number of shoes she owns, buying a new pair every week.
(d) Brett adds up the number of brandies she drinks when she goes out.
3. How did the Count receive the wounds above his ribs?
4. Who do Bill and Jake see in a taxi as they are walking down the street to a restaurant?
(a) Robert Cohn
(b) Mike Campbell
(c) Lady Brett Ashley
(d) Harvey Stone
5. Jake tells Brett that he loves her so much and makes a suggestion to her. What is the suggestion?
(a) That they see other people
(b) That they avoid each other
(c) That they get married
(d) That they live together
6. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
(a) Count Mippipopolous
(b) Robert Cohn
(c) Marshal Ney
(d) Aloysius Kirby
7. Why doesn't Jake eat at Madame Lecomte's restaurant very often?
(a) Too many of his fellow Americans go there
(b) He had an argument with the owner.
(c) He prefers eating at home.
(d) He doesn't care for the menu.
8. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
(c) Brett Ashley
(d) Robert Cohn
9. What title does Robert Cohn achieve while attending Princeton?
(a) Rhodes Scholar
(b) Heavyweight boxing champion
(c) Princeton Review editor
(d) Middleweight boxing champion
10. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He goes to visit his mother.
(b) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
(c) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
(d) He wants to see his children.
11. When Jake and Bill try to get tickets for the first lunch service on the train, what does the conductor tell them?
(a) They are all reserved. There is nothing available until the fifth at three-thirty.
(b) They are all reserved but he will find them a spot for ten francs.
(c) He gives them tickets and tells them to enjoy the ride.
(d) They can have tickets to the second serving.
12. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
(a) Jake says that he is always worried about it.
(b) Jake says that he is through with worrying.
(c) Jake says that he is worried and depressed.
(d) Jake says that sometimes it bothers him.
13. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
(b) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(c) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(d) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
14. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
(a) She leaves him for a painter of miniatures.
(b) She announces that she is pregnant again.
(c) She tells him she would like to get a job.
(d) She gives him a surprise anniversary party.
15. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
(b) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
(c) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
(d) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
2. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
3. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
4. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
5. When does Brett say she is going to marry Michael?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)