|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What words does Mike repeat to describe Brett to Jake and Bill?
(a) A lovely rose
(b) A lovely piece
(c) A raving beauty
(d) A bountiful beauty
2. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
(a) His children would be hurt by the marriage.
(b) It would be romantic to say that he had a mistress for two years.
(c) He wouldn't be able to hang out in the cafes as much.
(d) He feels he is not good enough for her.
3. How did Robert Cohn spend his time while in Europe with Frances?
(a) He starts a new arts magazine, and wines and dines Frances.
(b) He goes back to school and studies law.
(c) He writes a novel, reads books, plays bridge, plays tennis and boxes.
(d) He takes up painting and sculpture.
4. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
(a) Cohn is superficial, only caring about what he wears and how he looks.
(b) Cohn insults other people constantly, looking for ways to start arguments.
(c) Cohn is an excellent tennis player with a good, athletic body. He is nice to other people, cheerful and didn't get angry when beaten in tennis.
(d) Cohn is a conceited, self-centered man who is a sore loser at tennis.
5. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
(a) They go dancing at Zelli's.
(b) They go for a tour of Paris in a horse-cab.
(c) They go to the Count's hotel room for champagne.
(d) They go for a stroll in the park.
6. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
(a) Brett and Mike
(b) Robert Cohn
(c) Harvey Stone
7. How does Brett say she is feeling after she and Jake get into the taxi?
(c) In love
8. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
(b) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
(c) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(d) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
9. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
(a) He thinks love is
(b) He believes love if not what the poets says it is.
(c) He thinks love is for the birds.
(d) He says that being in love is fun and an enjoyable feeling.
10. What is Brett's formal title?
(a) Countess Ashley
(b) Duchess Ashley
(c) Lady Ashley
(d) Mon Cherie Brett
11. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
(b) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
(c) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
(d) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
12. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
(a) Back to Jake's flat
(b) Take a horse-cab around the city
(c) To Robert Cohn's
(d) To the Select to see Brett and Mike Campbell
13. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
(a) They are going to the bull-fights in Spain.
(b) They are touring the basilicas in Spain.
(c) They are on a pilgrimage to Rome, Biarritz, and Lourdes.
(d) They are planning a fishing trip.
14. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
(a) He asks if he and Brett can go to Pamplona with Jake and Bill.
(b) He asks if Cohn is in love with Brett.
(c) He asks if Jake is still in love with Brett.
(d) He asks if he said anything embarrassing the night before.
15. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
(a) He says that he can't do it. Nothing will make him do it.
(b) He says that he has to go to South America. He just has to.
(c) He says that his life is passing him by. He's losing his way.
(d) He says that he doesn't want it to happen to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
2. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
3. What does Robert Cohn think about Paris after returning from America?
4. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
5. What happens to Bill Gorton during his stay in Vienna?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)