|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Count, Brett, and Jake go after they finish dinner in the restaurant?
(a) They go dancing at Zelli's.
(b) They go for a stroll in the park.
(c) They go for a tour of Paris in a horse-cab.
(d) They go to the Count's hotel room for champagne.
2. How did Robert Cohn spend his time while in Europe with Frances?
(a) He starts a new arts magazine, and wines and dines Frances.
(b) He goes back to school and studies law.
(c) He writes a novel, reads books, plays bridge, plays tennis and boxes.
(d) He takes up painting and sculpture.
3. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
(a) Frances kicks him under the table.
(b) Frances throws water in his face.
(c) Jake spills hot coffee in his lap.
(d) Cohn kicks him under the table.
4. Why does Jake think of Cohn as Moses seeing the Promised Land for the first time while they are having a drink together at the dance?
(a) Cohn is eagerly looking at Lady Brett, hoping for a dance.
(b) Cohn is expectantly hoping for a night with Georgette.
(c) Cohn is in awe of the night life in Paris.
(d) Cohn is looking with adoration at his fiancée, Frances.
5. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
(a) Try to stop injustice
(b) Invest wisely
(c) Never be daunted
(d) Write the great American novel
6. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(b) It has no effect on the mood.
(c) It puts the person into a major depression.
(d) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
7. Where do Jake and Bill decide to go after eating at Madame Lecomte's?
(a) To Robert Cohn's
(b) Take a horse-cab around the city
(c) To the Select to see Brett and Mike Campbell
(d) Back to Jake's flat
8. What does Robert Cohn think about Paris after returning from America?
(a) He loves Paris and never wants to leave.
(b) He is sick of Paris.
(c) He considers Paris his home.
(d) Paris is one of his favorite cities.
9. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
(a) Brett and Count Mippipopolous
(b) Brett and Harvey Stone
(c) Brett and Robert Cohn
(d) Robert Cohn and Harvey Stone
10. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
(a) They say that they don't want to be tied down and are only friends.
(b) They say that they are incompatible and argue too much.
(c) They say that they want to live their own lives and have their careers.
(d) They say that they are not the marrying kind and are not ready to settle down.
11. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has traveled across America.
(b) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
(c) He has been all over Europe.
(d) He has sailed around the world.
12. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
(a) He reads the French morning papers, smokes and sets to work on the typewriter.
(b) He has a cup of coffee and then decides to go home.
(c) He sits at his desk, wallowing in self-pity.
(d) He tries to concentrate on his typing, but can't hold a clear thought.
13. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
(a) He mentioned her in his first novel.
(b) He got rid of her to please Frances.
(c) He promoted her to an editorial position.
(d) He gave her an increase in pay.
14. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
(a) She doesn't like foreign countries.
(b) She thinks South America is the wilderness.
(c) She is afraid to travel.
(d) She wouldn't like South America. She likes to be around a lot of people.
15. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
(a) Jake says that he is always worried about it.
(b) Jake says that sometimes it bothers him.
(c) Jake says that he is through with worrying.
(d) Jake says that he is worried and depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
2. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
3. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
4. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
5. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)