|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it called when the bulls are let into the corral with the steers?
2. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
(a) It would be romantic to say that he had a mistress for two years.
(b) He feels he is not good enough for her.
(c) He wouldn't be able to hang out in the cafes as much.
(d) His children would be hurt by the marriage.
3. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
(a) He feels it is a fine and pleasant morning.
(b) He walks down the street in a fog, not noticing the events around him.
(c) He wishes he had stayed in bed.
(d) He is still distraught over Brett and skips breakfast.
4. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
(a) Everyone needs many children and live through your children.
(b) South America will help him live life and he doesn't like Paris.
(c) Dating many women is the thing to do and writing a novel is fulfilling.
(d) Going to see bull-fighters will spice up his life and getting married is necessary for a man.
5. Bill and Jake sit down to eat lunch after fishing and have an amusing conversation about the different men they went to college with. Which men do they mention?
(a) Harris, Henry Ford, Roosevelt, and Wheeler
(b) Bryan, Mencken, Frankie Fritsch, Bishop Manning, and Wayne Wheeler
(c) Henry James, Abraham Lincoln, Grant, and Keats
(d) Bishop Manning, Henry James, Fitzgerald, and Roosevelt
Short Answer Questions
1. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
2. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
3. What does Bill tell Jake the secret to success is?
4. How does Mike feel about missing the fight and staying with Brett for the evening?
5. How is Brett feeling when Jake says goodbye to her at her hotel?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)