|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jake's philosophy that everything that is good has to be paid for?
(a) He says that payment is made by working hard.
(b) He says that it is paid by learning, by experience, by taking chances, or by money.
(c) He says that payment is made by living life.
(d) He believes money will buy anything.
2. What is Cohn's response when Bill suggests that he not look at the horses when the bull gores them?
(a) Cohn says that he is only worried that he will be bored.
(b) Cohn tells Bill to mind his own business.
(c) Cohn is worried he might faint at the sight of the horse's blood.
(d) Cohn is afraid he will not be able to look at the dying horses.
3. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
(a) He begins writing his first novel.
(b) He works, goes to the races, dines with friends and puts extra time in at the office.
(c) He mopes around, feeling sorry for himself.
(d) He drinks too much and pines over Brett.
4. Bill Gorton says that Vienna "is a strange city". What city does he compare it to?
(d) New York
5. How does dinner with Brett, Mike, Cohn, and Bill remind Jake of dinners during the war?
(a) There is camaraderie between friends.
(b) There is wine, ignored tension, and foreboding of what is to come.
(c) There are arguments, hurt feelings, and fear.
(d) There is a feeling that it will be their last dinner together.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Jake and Bill stay warm after they finish their evening meal?
2. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
3. When Romero says that he kills his friends, to whom is he referring?
4. In a letter to Jake, what does Cohn tell Jake he has been doing in Hendaye?
5. Why did the bus have to pull over to the side of the road as it climbed into the hills?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)