|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There are seven cars on the train full of Catholic Americans from Dayton, Ohio. Where are they headed?
(a) They are on a pilgrimage to Rome, Biarritz, and Lourdes.
(b) They are touring the basilicas in Spain.
(c) They are going to the bull-fights in Spain.
(d) They are planning a fishing trip.
2. What does Jake do to pass the time while Brett and Robert Cohn are out of town?
(a) He begins writing his first novel.
(b) He works, goes to the races, dines with friends and puts extra time in at the office.
(c) He drinks too much and pines over Brett.
(d) He mopes around, feeling sorry for himself.
3. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
(a) His eyes tear up and his lip trembles.
(b) He is nasty and sarcastic.
(c) He is indifferent to the whole situation.
(d) He tells Brett she cannot go to Pamplona.
4. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
(a) Dating many women is the thing to do and writing a novel is fulfilling.
(b) South America will help him live life and he doesn't like Paris.
(c) Everyone needs many children and live through your children.
(d) Going to see bull-fighters will spice up his life and getting married is necessary for a man.
5. Why is Frances saying terrible, sarcastic comments to Cohn in front of Jake at the café?
(a) Frances is angry that Cohn made most of the wedding plans without her.
(b) Frances feels Cohn is too possessive of her.
(c) Frances is annoyed that Cohn will not let her go to England to visit friends.
(d) Frances resents the fact that Cohn gave her 200 pounds to go back to England and stay with friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two friends Robert Cohn has during his three years in Europe?
2. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
3. Jake says that the first meal in Spain is "always a shock". What does the meal consist of?
4. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
5. What does the bull fight critic say about Pedro Romero's performance in the ring when Jake is having a drink with them?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)