|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
(b) It puts the person into a major depression.
(c) It has no effect on the mood.
(d) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
2. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(c) A partnership in a new magazine
3. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
(a) He walks down the street in a fog, not noticing the events around him.
(b) He feels it is a fine and pleasant morning.
(c) He is still distraught over Brett and skips breakfast.
(d) He wishes he had stayed in bed.
4. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
(a) He reads
(b) He reads the New York Times which he has delivered to him from America.
(c) He reads the Paris daily newspaper.
(d) He reads a few pages of a novel, hoping it will put him to sleep.
5. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
(b) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(c) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(d) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
2. Why does Frances tell Robert not to have scenes with his young ladies?
3. Jake meets Brett and Mike at the Dingo and Mike is a bit drunk. What does Mike ask Jake at the time?
4. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
5. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)