|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
(a) He thinks about going on a trip to the bull-fights.
(b) He thinks about the war injury he received in Italy and about what might have happened to the other men who were with him in the hospital.
(c) He thinks about Robert Cohn and South America.
(d) He thinks about all the work he has to do the next day and if he will meet his deadlines.
2. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
(a) He reads the Paris daily newspaper.
(b) He reads the New York Times which he has delivered to him from America.
(c) He reads a few pages of a novel, hoping it will put him to sleep.
(d) He reads
3. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
(a) She announces that she is pregnant again.
(b) She tells him she would like to get a job.
(c) She gives him a surprise anniversary party.
(d) She leaves him for a painter of miniatures.
4. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
(a) Jake wants Harvey to place a bet for him with his bookie.
(b) Jake wants him to use the money to find a flat.
(c) Harvey has been threatened by debt collectors.
(d) Harvey hasn't eaten in five days, wants to be alone and doesn't care if he eats.
5. What is Mike assigned to bring to Pamplona?
(a) Extra money for the nightlife
(b) Extra money for playing bridge
(c) A case of wine
(d) Two rods with reels, lines and flies
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
2. Bill Gorton says that Vienna "is a strange city". What city does he compare it to?
3. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
4. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
5. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)