|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(b) It has no effect on the mood.
(c) It puts the person into a major depression.
(d) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
2. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
(a) He is afraid his life is moving too fast and he is not really living it.
(b) He wants to research the area before taking Frances there.
(c) He wants to buy a vacation home there for Frances.
(d) He wants to inquire into investing in coffee beans.
3. Who does Brett's friend, Zizi, introduce her to when she and Jake go into the Café Select?
(a) Aloysius Kirby
(b) Robert Cohn
(c) Marshal Ney
(d) Count Mippipopolous
4. Jake feels he did not give an accurate picture of Robert Cohn. What does he add to his description of Cohn?
(a) Cohn is superficial, only caring about what he wears and how he looks.
(b) Cohn is an excellent tennis player with a good, athletic body. He is nice to other people, cheerful and didn't get angry when beaten in tennis.
(c) Cohn insults other people constantly, looking for ways to start arguments.
(d) Cohn is a conceited, self-centered man who is a sore loser at tennis.
5. Robert Cohn is a Jewish man attending Princeton. How does this make him feel?
(a) Angry and reclusive
(b) Superior and snooty
(c) Outgoing and proud
(d) Inferior and shy
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
2. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
3. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
4. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
5. Why does Jake think of Cohn as Moses seeing the Promised Land for the first time while they are having a drink together at the dance?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)