|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frances tell Robert not to have scenes with his young ladies?
(a) He will turn his readers against him.
(b) He will be seen as a hard-hearted writer.
(c) He will cry and not be able to remember what was said.
(d) He will upset the ladies so much, they will cry.
2. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
(a) He reads
(b) He reads the New York Times which he has delivered to him from America.
(c) He reads a few pages of a novel, hoping it will put him to sleep.
(d) He reads the Paris daily newspaper.
3. How did Robert Cohn spend his time while in Europe with Frances?
(a) He goes back to school and studies law.
(b) He starts a new arts magazine, and wines and dines Frances.
(c) He writes a novel, reads books, plays bridge, plays tennis and boxes.
(d) He takes up painting and sculpture.
4. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
(a) He wants to buy a vacation home there for Frances.
(b) He is afraid his life is moving too fast and he is not really living it.
(c) He wants to inquire into investing in coffee beans.
(d) He wants to research the area before taking Frances there.
5. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
(b) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
(c) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
(d) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
2. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
3. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
4. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
5. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)