|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
(a) He has a cup of coffee and then decides to go home.
(b) He sits at his desk, wallowing in self-pity.
(c) He reads the French morning papers, smokes and sets to work on the typewriter.
(d) He tries to concentrate on his typing, but can't hold a clear thought.
2. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(d) A partnership in a new magazine
3. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
(a) She will hurt you if you try to get close.
(b) She is not worth the time of day. Stay away from her.
(c) She's nice and her name is Lady Ashley. She is getting a divorce, so she can marry someone named Mike Campbell.
(d) He doesn't have anything to say about her. He doesn't want to discuss it.
4. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
(a) He thinks she looks down and out and could use a good meal.
(b) He thinks it would be nice to eat with someone.
(c) He hopes it will lead to a more intimate time later in the evening.
(d) He feels sorry for her and hopes to talk her into a different lifestyle.
5. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He goes to visit his mother.
(b) He wants to see his children.
(c) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
(d) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
2. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
3. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
4. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
5. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)