|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
(a) He wants to research the area before taking Frances there.
(b) He is afraid his life is moving too fast and he is not really living it.
(c) He wants to buy a vacation home there for Frances.
(d) He wants to inquire into investing in coffee beans.
2. What does Jake do to pass the time while he waits for Brett to meet him at the Hotel Crillon?
(a) He works on an article he is writing for the paper.
(b) He writes letters on the hotel stationary.
(c) He reads the Bible in the lounge.
(d) He has a glass of wine and watches people passing by.
3. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
(a) Jake wants Harvey to place a bet for him with his bookie.
(b) Jake wants him to use the money to find a flat.
(c) Harvey hasn't eaten in five days, wants to be alone and doesn't care if he eats.
(d) Harvey has been threatened by debt collectors.
4. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
(a) They are unemployed with a bleak future.
(b) They are low income, struggling to survive.
(c) They are one of the richest Jewish, New York families.
(d) They are middle class working people.
5. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It has no effect on the mood.
(b) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
(c) It puts the person into a major depression.
(d) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
Short Answer Questions
1. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
2. What excuses do Brett and Jake give when the Count suggests that they get married?
3. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
4. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
5. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)