|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
(a) He reads
(b) He reads the New York Times which he has delivered to him from America.
(c) He reads a few pages of a novel, hoping it will put him to sleep.
(d) He reads the Paris daily newspaper.
2. Why does the concierge of Jake's flat changer her opinion of Brett?
(a) She sees that Brett is a shrew who should be avoided.
(b) She sees that Brett is from a low class family, penniless and a fortune hunter.
(c) She discovers that Brett is rude, crude, and ignorant.
(d) She sees that Brett is very nice, of a good family and very gentile.
3. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He wants to see his children.
(b) He goes to visit his mother.
(c) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
(d) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
4. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
(b) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(c) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
(d) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
5. Why does the Count enjoy everything so much?
(a) Because he has so many friends
(b) Because he has plenty of money to spend
(c) Because he has lived a full life and gotten to know the values, so he can enjoy everything.
(d) Because he is always drunk
Short Answer Questions
1. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
2. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
3. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
4. Where does Brett tell Jake she is going?
5. How does Brett say she is feeling after she and Jake get into the taxi?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)