|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It has no effect on the mood.
(b) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(c) It puts the person into a major depression.
(d) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
2. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He goes on an extended European trip.
(b) He joins the army.
(c) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(d) He falls into depression.
3. The Count boasts that he has been around. Where has he been?
(a) He has been all over Europe.
(b) He has sailed around the world.
(c) He has been in seven wars and four revolutions.
(d) He has traveled across America.
4. Why doesn't Brett want Jake to touch her?
(a) She loves someone else.
(b) She has no feelings for him.
(c) She loves him and can't stand that they are unable to do anything about it.
(d) She is not feeling well.
5. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
(a) It would be romantic to say that he had a mistress for two years.
(b) He wouldn't be able to hang out in the cafes as much.
(c) His children would be hurt by the marriage.
(d) He feels he is not good enough for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
2. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
3. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
4. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
5. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)