|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
(a) Dating many women is the thing to do and writing a novel is fulfilling.
(b) South America will help him live life and he doesn't like Paris.
(c) Everyone needs many children and live through your children.
(d) Going to see bull-fighters will spice up his life and getting married is necessary for a man.
2. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
(a) He tells Jake that he doesn't want to see him again.
(b) He insults Jake, saying that he is not worth the trouble.
(c) He tells Jake that he is the best friend he has.
(d) He threatens Jake and tells him to watch his tongue.
3. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(b) A partnership in a new magazine
4. Why doesn't Brett want Jake to touch her?
(a) She has no feelings for him.
(b) She loves him and can't stand that they are unable to do anything about it.
(c) She is not feeling well.
(d) She loves someone else.
5. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
(b) He goes to visit his mother.
(c) He wants to see his children.
(d) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
2. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
3. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
4. Jake runs into some of his friends while eating at the restaurant with Georgette. Where does Braddocks ask Jake and Georgette to go?
5. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)