|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert Cohn is a Jewish man attending Princeton. How does this make him feel?
(a) Outgoing and proud
(b) Superior and snooty
(c) Angry and reclusive
(d) Inferior and shy
2. When Jake is about to leave the dance-club, what does he give the patronne for Georgette?
(a) A brandy and soda
(b) A bottle of wine
(c) Fifty francs
(d) His address
3. As Jake watches Brett walk up the street from his flat and get into the Count's limousine, what is he thinking?
(a) He thinks that he should be getting back to bed.
(b) He wonders what it would be like if he was able to have a normal relationship with Brett.
(c) He thinks that he should have gone with Brett when she offered to bring him to Zelli's.
(d) He thinks that it is easy to be brave and ignore things in the daytime, but at night, all the worries and heartache returns.
4. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
(a) The financial and personal success of an entrepreneur in Europe
(b) The religious rebirth of an American boxer
(c) How to become a magnet for wealth and success
(d) The imaginary, amorous adventures of an Englishman in a romantic land
5. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
(a) He feels it is a fine and pleasant morning.
(b) He is still distraught over Brett and skips breakfast.
(c) He walks down the street in a fog, not noticing the events around him.
(d) He wishes he had stayed in bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
2. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
3. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
4. What is Brett's formal title?
5. After five years of marriage, three children and spending close to fifty thousand dollars, what does Robert Cohn's rich wife do?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)