|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It puts the person into a major depression.
(b) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(c) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
(d) It has no effect on the mood.
2. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
(a) He is afraid of catching something from her.
(b) He was hurt in the war.
(c) He has a girlfriend.
(d) He had too much to drink.
3. Where does Jake tell Cohn that he met Brett?
(a) They met while on a cruise to England.
(b) He met her in a bar in America.
(c) She was a V.A.D. in a hospital he was in during the war.
(d) He first saw her in a café in Paris.
4. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
(a) She doesn't like foreign countries.
(b) She wouldn't like South America. She likes to be around a lot of people.
(c) She thinks South America is the wilderness.
(d) She is afraid to travel.
5. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
(b) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
(c) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
(d) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jake think of Cohn as Moses seeing the Promised Land for the first time while they are having a drink together at the dance?
2. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
3. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
4. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
5. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)