|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(b) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
(c) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
(d) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
2. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
(a) He is still distraught over Brett and skips breakfast.
(b) He walks down the street in a fog, not noticing the events around him.
(c) He wishes he had stayed in bed.
(d) He feels it is a fine and pleasant morning.
3. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
(a) Cohn is afraid Jake won't return to Paris.
(b) Cohn doesn't want Jake to get involved with a woman.
(c) Cohn wants to stay in Paris.
(d) Cohn is afraid Frances will be angry and jealous.
4. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
(a) He says that he has decided not to write anymore.
(b) He says that his writing is speeding along and he is on the final chapter.
(c) He says that he can't seem to get started on his second book and he is worried.
(d) He says that all is going well and he is half way through his second book.
5. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
(a) He thinks about Robert Cohn and South America.
(b) He thinks about going on a trip to the bull-fights.
(c) He thinks about the war injury he received in Italy and about what might have happened to the other men who were with him in the hospital.
(d) He thinks about all the work he has to do the next day and if he will meet his deadlines.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
2. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
3. Who asks Jake to lunch after he gets back to the office?
4. What is Brett's formal title?
5. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)