|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
(a) Frances kicks him under the table.
(b) Frances throws water in his face.
(c) Cohn kicks him under the table.
(d) Jake spills hot coffee in his lap.
2. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
(a) The California Coastline
(b) The Princeton Review
(c) Review of the Arts
(d) The Fine Arts and Music Magazine
3. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He bends over and kisses her.
(b) He moves closer to her.
(c) He pushes her hand away.
(d) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
4. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
(a) He wants to elope with Frances immediately.
(b) He is not so simple or so nice, and not as pleasant to have around.
(c) He withdraws into himself, rarely going out.
(d) He knows he is deeply in love with Frances.
5. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
(a) Brett adds up the number of shoes she owns, buying a new pair every week.
(b) Brett adds up the number of brandies she drinks when she goes out.
(c) Brett likes to hang all her dresses in color coordinated order.
(d) Brett enjoys it when more and more men become infatuated with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Robert Cohn when his instructor, Spider Kelly overmatches him?
2. As Jake watches Brett walk up the street from his flat and get into the Count's limousine, what is he thinking?
3. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
4. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
5. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)