|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
(a) He goes on an extended European trip.
(b) He joins the army.
(c) He marries the first girl who is nice to him.
(d) He falls into depression.
2. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
(a) They say it is better than getting killed.
(b) They tell him he is lucky; it could have been worse.
(c) They tell him it is not important and he shouldn't worry about it.
(d) They tell him not to think about it.
3. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
(a) She pushes closer to Jake, putting her arms around him.
(b) She asks him to kiss her again.
(c) She moves to the corner of the seat, far away from Jake and puts her head down.
(d) She acts pleasantly surprised.
4. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
(a) He says that he has decided not to write anymore.
(b) He says that he can't seem to get started on his second book and he is worried.
(c) He says that all is going well and he is half way through his second book.
(d) He says that his writing is speeding along and he is on the final chapter.
5. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
(a) Cohn is angry that Jake insults Brett by saying she married someone she didn't love, twice. Jake also tells him to go to hell.
(b) Cohn is insulted when Jake tells him to leave Frances because she is no good for him.
(c) Jake is furious when Cohn makes a joke about his war injury.
(d) Jake is sick and tired of hearing about South America, telling Cohn to drop the subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
2. Why doesn't Brett want Jake to touch her?
3. What does Robert Cohn think about Paris after returning from America?
4. What does Robert Cohn do while Jake works for two hours in the office?
5. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)