|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
(a) He wants to see his children.
(b) He goes to visit his mother.
(c) He teaches a literary class at Princeton.
(d) His novel is accepted at a publishing company in America.
2. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
(a) Brett enjoys it when more and more men become infatuated with her.
(b) Brett likes to hang all her dresses in color coordinated order.
(c) Brett adds up the number of brandies she drinks when she goes out.
(d) Brett adds up the number of shoes she owns, buying a new pair every week.
3. What happens to Jake when he suggests he and Cohn go to Strasbourg for the weekend to meet a girl he knows there?
(a) Frances kicks him under the table.
(b) Cohn kicks him under the table.
(c) Frances throws water in his face.
(d) Jake spills hot coffee in his lap.
4. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
(b) It has no effect on the mood.
(c) It puts the person into a major depression.
(d) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
5. Georgette asks Jake what is wrong with him, since he doesn't want her to touch him. What does he reply?
(a) He had too much to drink.
(b) He has a girlfriend.
(c) He was hurt in the war.
(d) He is afraid of catching something from her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
2. Why doesn't Cohn want Jake talking about meeting the American girl in Strasbourg?
3. Robert Cohn is a Jewish man attending Princeton. How does this make him feel?
4. Robert Cohn moves to California and uses the remainder of his fifty thousand dollars to back and become sole editor of what magazine?
5. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)