|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Brett say she is feeling after she and Jake get into the taxi?
(c) In love
2. A forceful woman, Frances, hopes to gain success working with Robert Cohn on the magazine. She urges him to go to Europe with her when the magazine shuts down. What else did she want from him?
(b) A partnership in a new magazine
3. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
(a) He thinks she looks down and out and could use a good meal.
(b) He hopes it will lead to a more intimate time later in the evening.
(c) He thinks it would be nice to eat with someone.
(d) He feels sorry for her and hopes to talk her into a different lifestyle.
4. What does Jake do when Georgette touches him while they are driving in the horse-cab?
(a) He closes his eyes and enjoys her touch.
(b) He bends over and kisses her.
(c) He moves closer to her.
(d) He pushes her hand away.
5. What is the financial status of Robert Cohn's parents who reside in New York?
(a) They are unemployed with a bleak future.
(b) They are middle class working people.
(c) They are low income, struggling to survive.
(d) They are one of the richest Jewish, New York families.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robert Cohn go to America after three years in Europe?
2. When Robert Cohn returns to Paris from America, he is a changed man. In what way does he change?
3. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
4. How did Robert Cohn spend his time while in Europe with Frances?
5. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)