|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake tell Cohn about Brett when he inquires about her?
(a) She is not worth the time of day. Stay away from her.
(b) She will hurt you if you try to get close.
(c) She's nice and her name is Lady Ashley. She is getting a divorce, so she can marry someone named Mike Campbell.
(d) He doesn't have anything to say about her. He doesn't want to discuss it.
2. How does Jake react when Brett tells him she was in San Sebastian with Cohn?
(a) He tells Brett she cannot go to Pamplona.
(b) His eyes tear up and his lip trembles.
(c) He is nasty and sarcastic.
(d) He is indifferent to the whole situation.
3. Robert Cohn falls asleep in Jakes office and talks in his sleep. What does he say?
(a) He says that he has to go to South America. He just has to.
(b) He says that he doesn't want it to happen to him.
(c) He says that his life is passing him by. He's losing his way.
(d) He says that he can't do it. Nothing will make him do it.
4. As Frances continues her tirade against Cohn, what does she think is the real reason why he won't marry her?
(a) He feels he is not good enough for her.
(b) He wouldn't be able to hang out in the cafes as much.
(c) His children would be hurt by the marriage.
(d) It would be romantic to say that he had a mistress for two years.
5. As Jake lies in bed, what does he start thinking about that keeps him from sleeping?
(a) He thinks about going on a trip to the bull-fights.
(b) He thinks about all the work he has to do the next day and if he will meet his deadlines.
(c) He thinks about Robert Cohn and South America.
(d) He thinks about the war injury he received in Italy and about what might have happened to the other men who were with him in the hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
2. Who has a cab waiting for Jake and Bill as they get off the train?
3. After graduating from Princeton, Robert Cohn is bitter and self-conscious. What is one of the first things he does?
4. Who arrives at Jake's flat after he finishes showering?
5. Who do Jake and Bill share their train compartment with?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)