|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
(b) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
(c) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
(d) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
2. How does Jake describe being in love to Brett?
(a) He believes love if not what the poets says it is.
(b) He thinks love is for the birds.
(c) He thinks love is
(d) He says that being in love is fun and an enjoyable feeling.
3. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
(a) You can't get away from yourself by traveling from place to place.
(b) Don't waste your life staying in one place.
(c) Live your life now because you will be dead in thirty years.
(d) Traveling is a great way to get away from your problems.
4. What does Cohn tell Jake after Jake apologizes for telling him to go to hell?
(a) He threatens Jake and tells him to watch his tongue.
(b) He tells Jake that he doesn't want to see him again.
(c) He tells Jake that he is the best friend he has.
(d) He insults Jake, saying that he is not worth the trouble.
5. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
(a) She thinks South America is the wilderness.
(b) She doesn't like foreign countries.
(c) She is afraid to travel.
(d) She wouldn't like South America. She likes to be around a lot of people.
Short Answer Questions
1. While eating lunch at Wetzels's, Jake asks Cohn how his writing is progressing. What is Cohn's reply?
2. What is Brett's reaction when Jake kisses her in the taxi?
3. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
4. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
5. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)