|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
(a) Brett adds up the number of brandies she drinks when she goes out.
(b) Brett adds up the number of shoes she owns, buying a new pair every week.
(c) Brett enjoys it when more and more men become infatuated with her.
(d) Brett likes to hang all her dresses in color coordinated order.
2. What does Jake do to pass the time while he waits for Brett to meet him at the Hotel Crillon?
(a) He writes letters on the hotel stationary.
(b) He reads the Bible in the lounge.
(c) He has a glass of wine and watches people passing by.
(d) He works on an article he is writing for the paper.
3. Jake and Cohn get into an argument during lunch. What is the argument about?
(a) Cohn is insulted when Jake tells him to leave Frances because she is no good for him.
(b) Jake is sick and tired of hearing about South America, telling Cohn to drop the subject.
(c) Jake is furious when Cohn makes a joke about his war injury.
(d) Cohn is angry that Jake insults Brett by saying she married someone she didn't love, twice. Jake also tells him to go to hell.
4. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
(a) The financial and personal success of an entrepreneur in Europe
(b) The imaginary, amorous adventures of an Englishman in a romantic land
(c) How to become a magnet for wealth and success
(d) The religious rebirth of an American boxer
5. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
(a) He wonders if Frances would like to go out with him now that Cohen was out of the picture.
(b) He wonders how Cohn could be such an uncaring human being.
(c) He wonders why Frances ever stayed with Cohn as long as she did.
(d) He wonders why Cohn allows Frances to talk to him in such an insulting manner and why he doesn't do something to stop her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brett leave the dance-club with?
2. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
3. Robert Cohn offers to pay Jake's expenses if he will go to what __place with him?
4. What news does Frances Clyne reveal to Jake when she asks him to go with her to the Dome?
5. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)