|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
(a) He thinks it would be nice to eat with someone.
(b) He thinks she looks down and out and could use a good meal.
(c) He hopes it will lead to a more intimate time later in the evening.
(d) He feels sorry for her and hopes to talk her into a different lifestyle.
2. Why does Frances tell Robert not to have scenes with his young ladies?
(a) He will turn his readers against him.
(b) He will cry and not be able to remember what was said.
(c) He will be seen as a hard-hearted writer.
(d) He will upset the ladies so much, they will cry.
3. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
(a) It lifts their spirits, but then drops the mood just as quickly.
(b) It sustains an uplifted mood all night.
(c) It has no effect on the mood.
(d) It puts the person into a major depression.
4. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
(a) He is still distraught over Brett and skips breakfast.
(b) He wishes he had stayed in bed.
(c) He walks down the street in a fog, not noticing the events around him.
(d) He feels it is a fine and pleasant morning.
5. Jake is awakened at 4:30 in the morning by a loud voice downstairs arguing with the concierge. Who comes looking for him at his flat?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jake think Robert Cohn gets his dislike of Paris?
2. According to Cohn, what is the reason Frances would not go to South America with him?
3. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
4. Who does Jake say are the only people who live their lives to the fullest?
5. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)