|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jake referring to when he says to Brett, "you like to add them up."?
(a) Brett adds up the number of brandies she drinks when she goes out.
(b) Brett likes to hang all her dresses in color coordinated order.
(c) Brett adds up the number of shoes she owns, buying a new pair every week.
(d) Brett enjoys it when more and more men become infatuated with her.
2. Why is Robert Cohn so anxious to go to South America with Jake?
(a) He wants to buy a vacation home there for Frances.
(b) He wants to inquire into investing in coffee beans.
(c) He is afraid his life is moving too fast and he is not really living it.
(d) He wants to research the area before taking Frances there.
3. As Jake watches Brett walk up the street from his flat and get into the Count's limousine, what is he thinking?
(a) He thinks that it is easy to be brave and ignore things in the daytime, but at night, all the worries and heartache returns.
(b) He thinks that he should have gone with Brett when she offered to bring him to Zelli's.
(c) He thinks that he should be getting back to bed.
(d) He wonders what it would be like if he was able to have a normal relationship with Brett.
4. What are the two ideas Robert Cohn gets from W. H. Hudson's novel, "The Purple Land"?
(a) Dating many women is the thing to do and writing a novel is fulfilling.
(b) Going to see bull-fighters will spice up his life and getting married is necessary for a man.
(c) South America will help him live life and he doesn't like Paris.
(d) Everyone needs many children and live through your children.
5. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
(a) You can't get away from yourself by traveling from place to place.
(b) Traveling is a great way to get away from your problems.
(c) Live your life now because you will be dead in thirty years.
(d) Don't waste your life staying in one place.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does the imitation absinthe drink called pernod have on those who drink it?
2. After his miserable night crying over Brett, Jake walks down the Boulevard to the rue Soufflot for breakfast. What is his frame of mind?
3. Why does Jake ask Georgette, the prostitute, to have dinner with him?
4. How does Jake justify the insulting things he says?
5. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)