|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jake watches Brett walk up the street from his flat and get into the Count's limousine, what is he thinking?
(a) He thinks that it is easy to be brave and ignore things in the daytime, but at night, all the worries and heartache returns.
(b) He thinks that he should have gone with Brett when she offered to bring him to Zelli's.
(c) He thinks that he should be getting back to bed.
(d) He wonders what it would be like if he was able to have a normal relationship with Brett.
2. Why does Jake give Harvey some money?
(a) Harvey hasn't eaten in five days, wants to be alone and doesn't care if he eats.
(b) Harvey has been threatened by debt collectors.
(c) Jake wants him to use the money to find a flat.
(d) Jake wants Harvey to place a bet for him with his bookie.
3. What are the two pieces of mail that Jakes picks up from the concierge when he returns to his flat?
(a) A college commencement invitation and a letter from Brett
(b) A postcard from an army buddy and a letter from his sister
(c) A letter from his brother in America and a bank statement
(d) A bank statement and a wedding invitation
4. What does Jake do to pass the time while he waits for Brett to meet him at the Hotel Crillon?
(a) He has a glass of wine and watches people passing by.
(b) He writes letters on the hotel stationary.
(c) He works on an article he is writing for the paper.
(d) He reads the Bible in the lounge.
5. What is Brett's response when the Count asks her to go to Biarritz, Cannes, or Monte Carlo?
(a) She says that she would rather go to America with him.
(b) She says that she cannot go because Cohn would be upset.
(c) She says that she would be delighted to go to all those places.
(d) She says that she knows too many people everywhere and she is in love with Jake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
2. How does Jake introduce Georgette to his friends when they meet at the restaurant?
3. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
4. What advice does Jake give to Robert Cohn when they go to the café below Jakes office?
5. What news does Frances Clyne reveal to Jake when she asks him to go with her to the Dome?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)