|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jake read after putting on his pajamas and getting into bed?
(a) He reads the New York Times which he has delivered to him from America.
(b) He reads
(c) He reads the Paris daily newspaper.
(d) He reads a few pages of a novel, hoping it will put him to sleep.
2. What news does Frances Clyne reveal to Jake when she asks him to go with her to the Dome?
(a) She tells Jake that she doesn't want Jake in the wedding.
(b) She wants Jake to arrange a surprise bachelor party for Cohn.
(c) She tells Jake that Cohn does not want to marry her anymore and that he hasn't lived enough.
(d) She informs Jake that Cohn wants Jake to be his best man for their wedding.
3. What is Jake's reply when Cohn asks him if he is worried about his life passing him by?
(a) Jake says that he is always worried about it.
(b) Jake says that he is worried and depressed.
(c) Jake says that he is through with worrying.
(d) Jake says that sometimes it bothers him.
4. What does Jake do when he gets to his office after breakfast?
(a) He reads the French morning papers, smokes and sets to work on the typewriter.
(b) He has a cup of coffee and then decides to go home.
(c) He sits at his desk, wallowing in self-pity.
(d) He tries to concentrate on his typing, but can't hold a clear thought.
5. Where do Brett and Jake decide to go after leaving the dance-club?
(a) To Jake's place
(b) To Brett's place
(c) Just driving around
(d) To a show
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice do people offer Jake about his war injury that he resents so much?
2. What does Jake ask himself as he leaves Frances and Cohn in the café?
3. Robert Cohen changes his lifestyle after reading "The Purple Land" by W. H. Hudson. What is the theme of this novel?
4. Who does Jake share a taxi with after the press conference at Quai d'Orsay?
5. What did Frances say that Robert did to his secretary at Frances' request?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)