Book 1, Chapter 1
• The narrator, Jake Barnes introduces Robert Cohn.
• Cohn becomes a boxing champion at Princeton which helps him overcome the anti-Semitism he encounters there.
• He wins the middleweight boxing championship
• After a divorce, he starts a review for the Arts magazine where he meets his fiancé, Frances.
• They travel to Europe and live in Paris using the money Cohn receives from his mother.
• Cohn publishes a novel in America.
Book 1, Chapter 2
• Cohn comes back from New York with a changed attitude.
• Since his novel's success, he meets many women and becomes more worldly.
• He is more confident and not as nice to be around.
• Cohn is influenced by The Purple Land by W. H. Hudson, the imaginary, amorous adventures of an Englishman in a romantic land.
• Cohn asks Jake to go to South America for adventure.
• He is afraid life is passing him by.
• Cohn decides he...
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)