|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sara go after her aunt calls her father?
2. What does Willie do after calling the police?
3. How did Sara break her nose?
4. Who tells Sara the truth about who stole Charlie's watch?
5. Where does Sara plan to look for Charlie after her father is contacted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joe want Sara to climb a large dirt hill with him?
2. Why does Charlie's watch stop working, and what does he do about this?
3. What does Sara think when she first sees Charlie in the ravine?
4. What does Sam do when he comes to visit his children?
5. What does Aunt Willie say to Sara about Sam, and what is Sara's response?
6. What happened to Charlie when Sara broke her nose?
7. How did Sara find out the truth about who took Charlie's watch?
8. Why does Charlie not feel upset when he realizes he is lost?
9. What does Sara find ironic about her inability to cry about Charlie being gone?
10. What did Sara do to a girl who called Charlie a retard in a mean way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of special needs children was central to this plot. How did this theme affect the main characters, and why do you think this was such an important theme for the author to present with this book.
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Betsy Byars have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)