|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sara go after her aunt calls her father?
2. Why does Sara know Charlie is not where Willie thinks he is?
3. What does Charlie do when he first sees Sara?
4. What overwhelms Sara when she gets to the top of the hill?
5. Why does Joe want to climb a big strip mining hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Charlie when Sara broke her nose?
2. Why does Charlie start to scream when he wakes up in the woods?
3. What does Sara compare her search for Charlie to?
4. Why does Charlie's watch stop working, and what does he do about this?
5. Why does Charlie not feel upset when he realizes he is lost?
6. What causes Sara to doubt her initial idea of who took Charlie's watch?
7. What does Sara find ironic about her inability to cry about Charlie being gone?
8. How does Sara feel when she sees the swans flying?
9. How did Sara find out the truth about who took Charlie's watch?
10. What does Sam do when he comes to visit his children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)