|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sara meet the other searchers?
2. Why does Sara grab Joe's arm when they are on the hill?
3. Who is Willie talking to when Sara comes back from the lake?
4. What does Sara give to Charlie when she finds him?
5. What does Joe do to encourage Sara to the top of the hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charlie's watch stop working, and what does he do about this?
2. What happened to Charlie when Sara broke her nose?
3. What does Joe find in the woods, and why is this such good news to Sara?
4. What does Sam do when he comes to visit his children?
5. What does Charlie want before he will follow Sara out of the ravine, and how is this need fulfilled?
6. What did Sara do to a girl who called Charlie a retard in a mean way?
7. How does Sara feel when she sees the swans flying?
8. Why does Charlie start to scream when he wakes up in the woods?
9. What does Charlie do when Sara tries to show him the flying swans?
10. What does Sara compare her search for Charlie to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Betsy Byars have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)