|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara call all the things she has cried about earlier in the summer?
2. Who does Sara run into as she is leaving her house after her father is called?
3. What were the boys teasing Charlie with when they took his watch?
4. What does Sara give to Charlie when she finds him?
5. What does Sara do when the person she thought stole Charlie's watch insists on helping her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sara do to the boy who she thought stole Charlie's watch?
2. What does Sara do when Joe insists on helping to find Charlie?
3. What does Sara compare her search for Charlie to?
4. What does Sara find ironic about her inability to cry about Charlie being gone?
5. How did Sara find out the truth about who took Charlie's watch?
6. Why does Charlie start to scream when he wakes up in the woods?
7. What does Charlie want before he will follow Sara out of the ravine, and how is this need fulfilled?
8. What happened to Charlie when Sara broke her nose?
9. What does Sam do when he comes to visit his children?
10. What does Aunt Willie say to Sara about Sam, and what is Sara's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)