|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hears Charlie screaming first?
2. What did the sign that Sara put on boy's back say?
3. What does Sara try to get Charlie to notice when they get out of the woods?
4. What does Sara call all the things she has cried about earlier in the summer?
5. How long do Joe and Sara walk together until Joe suggests they take a break?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charlie start to scream when he wakes up in the woods?
2. What did Sara do to a girl who called Charlie a retard in a mean way?
3. What does Aunt Willie say to Sara about Sam, and what is Sara's response?
4. Why did some boys take Charlie's watch?
5. Why does Charlie's watch stop working, and what does he do about this?
6. What does Sara find ironic about her inability to cry about Charlie being gone?
7. What does Joe find in the woods, and why is this such good news to Sara?
8. How does Sara feel when she gets to the top of the hill?
9. How does Sara feel when she sees the swans flying?
10. How did Sara find out the truth about who took Charlie's watch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Betsy Byars have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)