|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assures Sara that everything will be all right when she gets panicked?
2. What is in Mary's hair while she is looking for Charlie?
3. What does Sara give to Charlie when she finds him?
4. Who returned Charlie's watch to him?
5. What is Charlie in constant fear of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joe find in the woods, and why is this such good news to Sara?
2. What did Sara do to the boy who she thought stole Charlie's watch?
3. What does Charlie do when Sara tries to show him the flying swans?
4. How does Sara feel when she gets to the top of the hill?
5. What does Joe say when Sara apologizes for being so mean when she thought he stole Charlie's watch?
6. What does Charlie want before he will follow Sara out of the ravine, and how is this need fulfilled?
7. What causes Sara to doubt her initial idea of who took Charlie's watch?
8. What does Sara do when Joe insists on helping to find Charlie?
9. What did Sara do to a girl who called Charlie a retard in a mean way?
10. Why did some boys take Charlie's watch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Betsy Byars have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of special needs children was central to this plot. How did this theme affect the main characters, and why do you think this was such an important theme for the author to present with this book.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)