|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joe describe the party that is happening that night?
2. Why does Joe want to climb a big strip mining hill?
3. What does Sara call all the things she has cried about earlier in the summer?
4. What does Sara think she can hear while she is on the top of the hill?
5. How long do Joe and Sara walk together until Joe suggests they take a break?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sara do when Joe insists on helping to find Charlie?
2. Why does Charlie start to scream when he wakes up in the woods?
3. What does Sara compare her search for Charlie to?
4. What does Charlie want before he will follow Sara out of the ravine, and how is this need fulfilled?
5. Why does Charlie's watch stop working, and what does he do about this?
6. What does Sara find ironic about her inability to cry about Charlie being gone?
7. Why does Joe want Sara to climb a large dirt hill with him?
8. What does Sara think when she first sees Charlie in the ravine?
9. What does Sam do when he comes to visit his children?
10. How does Sara feel when she sees the swans flying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Betsy Byars have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)