|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe do to encourage Sara to the top of the hill?
2. Why does Willie blame herself for Charlie's disappearance?
3. What is Sara not able to do when she gets emotional while at the top of the hill?
4. Where has Charlie been lost before this?
5. What does Charlie not do when he wakes up alone in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sara find ironic about her inability to cry about Charlie being gone?
2. Why does Charlie's watch stop working, and what does he do about this?
3. What happened to Charlie when Sara broke her nose?
4. How did Sara find out the truth about who took Charlie's watch?
5. What does Joe say when Sara apologizes for being so mean when she thought he stole Charlie's watch?
6. What did Sara do to the boy who she thought stole Charlie's watch?
7. What does Charlie want before he will follow Sara out of the ravine, and how is this need fulfilled?
8. Why does Charlie not feel upset when he realizes he is lost?
9. Why does Joe want Sara to climb a large dirt hill with him?
10. What causes Sara to doubt her initial idea of who took Charlie's watch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)