|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara compare Joe to when she is climbing the dirt hill?
2. Why does Charlie start screaming?
3. Who winds Charlie's watch for him?
4. What does Sara's father do on the weekends he comes to visit his children?
5. How did Sara break her nose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sara do to a girl who called Charlie a retard in a mean way?
2. Why does Charlie's watch stop working, and what does he do about this?
3. What does Sara think when she first sees Charlie in the ravine?
4. Why does Charlie start to scream when he wakes up in the woods?
5. What did Sara do to the boy who she thought stole Charlie's watch?
6. What does Sara compare her search for Charlie to?
7. How did Sara find out the truth about who took Charlie's watch?
8. What does Sara find ironic about her inability to cry about Charlie being gone?
9. Why does Joe want Sara to climb a large dirt hill with him?
10. What does Charlie do when Sara tries to show him the flying swans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this novel all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)