|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Sara's best friend go to the lake with her?
2. Why does Charlie feel validated in breaking rules at night?
3. What is Mary's last name?
4. What marks the place where Charlie goes when he is anxious?
5. How was Sara's written statement about beauty received?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does not give Charlie comfort in the woods, and why does this upset him so?
2. What happens when Charlie asks for help with his missing button?
3. What does Charlie do when he is asked the time, and why?
4. What happens when Charlie tries to feed the swans?
5. What does Wanda say when she sees Sara and Charlie at the lake?
6. What happened when Sara tried to dye her shoes?
7. What happens when Charlie gets bothered by the rocking chairs on Mary's porch?
8. What does Sara do and say when she sees what is making Charlie so anxious at the beginning of the book?
9. What happened at school to make Sara hate her feet?
10. What are Sara's first thoughts when she wakes up on the day Charlie is missing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)