|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will the swans not eat the pieces Charlie throws?
2. Where does Charlie start walking when he gets upset while sitting on Mary's porch?
3. What is Charlie's most prized possession?
4. What does Willie ask Sara to do after Wanda leaves?
5. What does Willie yell at the girls for after Wanda's date?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wanda say to comfort Sara about her big feet?
2. What does Sara do and say when she sees what is making Charlie so anxious at the beginning of the book?
3. What keeps Sara awake at night, and why is this so strange?
4. What does Charlie do when he is asked the time, and why?
5. What does not give Charlie comfort in the woods, and why does this upset him so?
6. What does Mary ask about Sara's new dress, and what is her response?
7. What does Sara say to Charlie when we first meet him in the book?
8. What does Charlie do when Sara says it is time to go home after their first trip to see the swans?
9. What does Charlie do when he feels lonely without Sara with him?
10. What is Charlie so anxious about at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which characters were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)