|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Charlie's most prized possession?
2. What upsets Charlie when he is sitting on Mary's porch steps?
3. Where does Wanda want to go with her boyfriend?
4. What is Sara's best friend's name?
5. What is Charlie playing with at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mary say she can't go to the lake with Sara and Charlie?
2. What happened when Sara tried to dye her shoes?
3. What are Sara's first thoughts when she wakes up on the day Charlie is missing?
4. What does not give Charlie comfort in the woods, and why does this upset him so?
5. What does Wanda say she wants to do for Charlie?
6. What does Mary ask about Sara's new dress, and what is her response?
7. What is Charlie so anxious about at the beginning of the book?
8. Why is Charlie's foot so sore while he is in the woods?
9. What does Wanda say to comfort Sara about her big feet?
10. What happened at school to make Sara hate her feet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Betsy Byars have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Which character did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)