|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara think Charlie has gone to see?
2. What does Charlie do when he gets nervous?
3. Who goes with Sara to the lake to find Charlie?
4. What does Wanda listen to on the radio after her date?
5. What does Charlie do when people ask him the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What keeps Sara awake at night, and why is this so strange?
2. Why is Charlie's foot so sore while he is in the woods?
3. What does Wanda say she wants to do for Charlie?
4. What does not give Charlie comfort in the woods, and why does this upset him so?
5. What does Sara complain about as she walks to the lake with Charlie?
6. What does Charlie do when Sara says it is time to go home after their first trip to see the swans?
7. What happens when Charlie asks for help with his missing button?
8. What happens when Charlie tries to feed the swans?
9. What does Sara say to Charlie when we first meet him in the book?
10. What does Sara decide to do after Wanda leaves with Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Betsy Byars have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)