|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was used to make the place where Charlie goes after his sucker is fixed?
2. What does Charlie lose while he is in the woods?
3. What is Charlie playing with at the beginning of the book?
4. Who is at the lake with Sara and Charlie after Wanda and Frank leave?
5. What does Sara chide Charlie for after they leave Mary's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Charlie do after Sara talks with him about what he is anxious about at the beginning of the book?
2. What happens when Charlie gets bothered by the rocking chairs on Mary's porch?
3. What does Wanda say Aunt Willie never lets her do?
4. What keeps Sara awake at night, and why is this so strange?
5. What is Sara doing at the beginning of the book and why?
6. What does Sara complain about as she walks to the lake with Charlie?
7. What does Sara decide to do after Wanda leaves with Frank?
8. Why is Charlie's foot so sore while he is in the woods?
9. What does Charlie do when he is asked the time, and why?
10. What does Wanda say when she sees Sara and Charlie at the lake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of special needs children was central to this plot. How did this theme affect the main characters, and why do you think this was such an important theme for the author to present with this book.
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)