|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Willie ask Sara to do after Wanda leaves?
2. What do Wanda and Sara agree on?
3. What does Charlie do when he knows his extended time is almost over?
4. Why is Sara so upset with Willie's request of her after Wanda leaves?
5. What does Sara hope to see when she leaves the house after Wanda leaves on her date?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Charlie gets bothered by the rocking chairs on Mary's porch?
2. What kind of beauty does Sara say is the most important, and how did she try to express this once?
3. What does Wanda say Aunt Willie never lets her do?
4. What does Charlie do when he feels lonely without Sara with him?
5. What does not give Charlie comfort in the woods, and why does this upset him so?
6. What does Willie say to Sara after Wanda leaves on her date, and what is Sara's response to this?
7. What does Charlie do when Sara says it is time to go home after their first trip to see the swans?
8. What does Sara do and say when she sees what is making Charlie so anxious at the beginning of the book?
9. What does Charlie do after Sara talks with him about what he is anxious about at the beginning of the book?
10. What information about Charlie do we get from Mary's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many different characters in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What are some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the characters most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)