|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sara hope to see when she leaves the house after Wanda leaves on her date?
2. What does Charlie hold on to in an effort to stay at the lake?
3. Why does Sara go through an empty field after leaving Mary's house?
4. What is Sara's best friend's name?
5. What do Wanda and Sara agree on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sara doing at the beginning of the book and why?
2. What kind of beauty does Sara say is the most important, and how did she try to express this once?
3. What information about Charlie do we get from Mary's mother?
4. What does Sara do and say when she sees what is making Charlie so anxious at the beginning of the book?
5. What does Wanda say she wants to do for Charlie?
6. What happened at school to make Sara hate her feet?
7. Why is Charlie's foot so sore while he is in the woods?
8. What does Willie ask Sara to do after Wanda leaves, and why is Sara so upset about this?
9. What keeps Sara awake at night, and why is this so strange?
10. What does Sara say to Charlie when we first meet him in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the forms of foreshadowing used in this book, and how did those moments affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)