|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sara go through an empty field after leaving Mary's house?
2. What does Wanda hope to see with her boyfriend?
3. What is Willie unwilling to let Wanda do?
4. Why does Willie say she understands Sara's feelings about Wanda?
5. What does Wanda do after her date?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sara and Charlie feel about the swans?
2. What does Wanda say to comfort Sara about her big feet?
3. What does Wanda say Aunt Willie never lets her do?
4. What does Wanda say when she sees Sara and Charlie at the lake?
5. What happened when Sara tried to dye her shoes?
6. What happens when Charlie tries to feed the swans?
7. Why is Charlie's foot so sore while he is in the woods?
8. What does Charlie do when he gets nervous?
9. What is Sara doing at the beginning of the book and why?
10. Why does Mary say she can't go to the lake with Sara and Charlie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the author felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Betsy Byars have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)