|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sara meet the other searchers?
(a) The vacant lot.
(b) The lake.
(c) The dirt hill.
(d) The mine shaft.
2. What is in Mary's hair while she is looking for Charlie?
(c) Permanent solution.
3. What overwhelms Sara when she gets to the top of the hill?
(a) The height.
(b) The beauty of the valley.
(c) The size of the forest.
(d) The dense woods.
4. Who does Charlie run to first when he gets out of the woods?
(a) Aunt Willie.
(c) The swans.
5. What does Willie do after calling the police?
(b) Goes searching in the woods.
(d) Calls all the houses in the area.
6. Why does Sara grab Joe's arm when they are on the hill?
(a) To get him to be quiet.
(b) To find some comfort.
(c) To be near him.
(d) To steady herself.
7. Why does Joe want to climb a big strip mining hill?
(a) He wants to be alone with Sara.
(b) He thinks Charlie may be there.
(c) So they can see down the valley.
(d) There are footprints at the base of the hill.
8. Who does Sara run into as she is leaving her house after her father is called?
9. What does Joe do to encourage Sara to the top of the hill?
(a) Tells a story.
(b) Sings songs.
(c) Compliments her.
(d) Tells jokes.
10. Where is Charlie while Sara is looking in the woods for him?
(a) A ditch.
(b) The coal mine.
(c) The old prison.
(d) A ravine.
11. What does Charlie not do when he wakes up alone in the woods?
(b) Call for help.
(c) Open his eyes.
(d) Keep walking.
12. What does Sara try to get Charlie to notice when they get out of the woods?
(a) All the people who were trying to find him.
(b) The flying swans.
(c) A new watch.
(d) The ducks on the lake.
13. What does Sara do while she waits to hear what her father will say about Charlie's absence?
(a) Teases the dog.
(b) Eats her breakfast.
(c) Paces the porch.
(d) Looks for a map.
14. What does Charlie do when he first sees Sara?
(b) Lays down.
(c) Hugs her.
15. What does Sara give to Charlie when she finds him?
(a) His sucker.
(b) His hat.
(c) His slipper.
(d) His stuffed dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sara first hear public news of Charlie's disappearance?
2. What does Sara compare Joe to when she is climbing the dirt hill?
3. How does Sara reply to the suggestion that they take a break?
4. Who does Sara think stole Charlie's watch?
5. How does Joe describe the party that is happening that night?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)