|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jay Berry realize when he wakes in the bottoms?
2. What is the name of the circus which lost the monkeys?
3. What does Jay Berry do when he finds the monkeys all cold and wet?
4. Why does Grandpa say that he chose the crippled pony for Jay Berry to see?
5. Why do Papa and Jay Berry agree to tend Grandpa's store for a day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jay Berry realize has happened after he and Rowdy drink so much of the sour mash?
2. What does Jay Berry have to do to convince Rowdy to go back to the bottoms with him?
3. What events occur in the story to foreshadow Jay Berry's success with catching the monkeys?
4. What is the source of the fermenting fruit smell that Jay Berry sniffs out in the bottoms?
5. When does Jay Berry realize what Grandpa was trying to tell him by showing him the crippled pony?
6. What do the monkeys do that makes Grandpa so mad as they return home from their trip to the library?
7. Who does Daisy tell Jay Berry about when she takes refuge in his room during a thunderstorm?
8. What are all the sources of money that combine for Daisy's leg operation?
9. How does Jay Berry recover from his hangover and what does he determine to never do again?
10. What is Jay Berry's response when Grandpa asks about his wish in the fairy ring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Grandpa. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Daisy probably had such an active imagination. Who were some of the spirits she had friendships with? Why were her dolls so real to her?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Wilson Rawls' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)