|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men who arrive in the circus truck are __________________ Johnson.
2. Why is Daisy mad at Jay Berry at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What kind of weather occurs at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What does Daisy realize about Jay Berry when he returns home?
5. The library that Grandpa and Jay Berry visit is a _______________ library.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jay Berry's response when Grandpa asks about his wish in the fairy ring?
2. What does Jay Berry have to do to convince Rowdy to go back to the bottoms with him?
3. When does Jay Berry realize what Grandpa was trying to tell him by showing him the crippled pony?
4. Describe Grandpa and Jay Berry's trip to the library.
5. What events occur in the story to foreshadow Jay Berry's success with catching the monkeys?
6. How does Jay Berry recover from his hangover and what does he determine to never do again?
7. Who does Daisy tell Jay Berry about when she takes refuge in his room during a thunderstorm?
8. Which pony does Jay Berry select and what is the problem with her?
9. What is the source of the fermenting fruit smell that Jay Berry sniffs out in the bottoms?
10. What is Grandpa's idea for getting more information about catching the monkeys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Wilson Rawls' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of selflessness. Identify at least two examples about selflessness in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)