|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Jay Berry during the bad weather?
2. What did the monkeys feast on at Jay Berry's farm?
3. What does Jimbo do when Jay Berry gives him an apple?
4. What does Jimbo do when he sees Ben Johnson?
5. How does Papa show Jay Berry that he is proud of him for giving up his monkey catching money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jay Berry save the monkeys and where does he take them to recover?
2. How are the monkeys drinking the sour mash and how does Jay Berry get his first sip of it?
3. Describe Grandpa and Jay Berry's trip to the library.
4. Who is the Old Man of the Mountains and why does Daisy believe he has come to their house?
5. What events occur in the story to foreshadow Jay Berry's success with catching the monkeys?
6. What is Grandpa's idea for getting more information about catching the monkeys?
7. How does Jay Berry recover from his hangover and what does he determine to never do again?
8. What is the source of the fermenting fruit smell that Jay Berry sniffs out in the bottoms?
9. Which pony does Jay Berry select and what is the problem with her?
10. What do the family members wish for at the fairy ring and what does Jay Berry's wish say about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perseverance takes on an almost human persona in this book. In what ways are all the characters persevering in some way? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Daisy Lee. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)