|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men who arrive in the circus truck are __________________ Johnson.
2. How does Jay Berry feel when the circus truck pulls away?
3. Whom is Grandpa going to visit to see about a pony for Jay Berry?
4. How many ponies does Grandpa have for Jay Berry to look at?
5. What makes Jay Berry realize that he can't keep the painter mare pony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the men who have arrived in the circus truck and what do they do at the Lee farm?
2. How are the monkeys drinking the sour mash and how does Jay Berry get his first sip of it?
3. What is Grandpa's idea for getting more information about catching the monkeys?
4. What are all the sources of money that combine for Daisy's leg operation?
5. When does Jay Berry realize what Grandpa was trying to tell him by showing him the crippled pony?
6. What vehicle pulls into the Lee family's lane and why is it especially unusual?
7. What is the fairy ring that Daisy discovers at her dollhouse?
8. Which pony does Jay Berry select and what is the problem with her?
9. What do the monkeys do that makes Grandpa so mad as they return home from their trip to the library?
10. What does Jay Berry have to do to convince Rowdy to go back to the bottoms with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of love. Identify at least two instances about love in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Wilson Rawls' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply SUMMER OF THE MONKEYS. What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)