|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Daisy?
2. What is the problem with Daisy's right leg?
3. Grandfather tells Jay Berry that one special monkey is worth ______________ in reward money.
4. Jay Berry thinks that the chimpanzee looks like ___________________.
5. Jay Berry's family lives near which mountain range?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Jay Berry sets the traps for the monkeys.
2. What item does Grandpa give to Jay Berry to try to catch the monkeys another time?
3. What is the name of the big monkey and what is Grandpa's suggestion for catching him?
4. Where does Jay Berry's family live and how did they get their land?
5. What prevents Jay Berry from leaving with the two little monkeys in the net?
6. Describe Jay Berry's parents.
7. Explain how the big monkey outwits Jay Berry and his traps.
8. What does Jay Berry's Grandpa tell him about the monkeys?
9. Who are Jay Berry Lee and Daisy Lee?
10. What things make Jay Berry content in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Jay Berry learns from his grandfather? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Jay Berry always recall about his grandfather from their experiences during the summer of the monkeys?
Essay Topic 2
Perseverance takes on an almost human persona in this book. In what ways are all the characters persevering in some way? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Wilson Rawls' use of humor in the book. What do you think is the funniest situation? How was the author able to convey humor only through his words?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)