|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creature bothers Jay Berry as he waits in the hole?
2. How old is Jay Berry when his family is finally well established and living in a cabin-like home?
3. What does Jay Berry tell his Grandfather about when he visits him at his store?
4. Who bites into all the apples set for traps?
5. What does Jay Berry's mother make him do if he forgets something?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the monkeys do while Jay Berry is drinking some water from a creek and what does Jay Berry do in return?
2. Where had Jay Berry's family come from and how long does it take them to get well established in Oklahoma?
3. What do Jay Berry's parents think when he tells them about the monkeys?
4. Explain how the big monkey outwits Jay Berry and his traps.
5. What item does Grandpa give to Jay Berry to try to catch the monkeys another time?
6. What does Jay Berry end up doing when he goes after the family milk cow which has escaped one day?
7. What prevents Jay Berry from leaving with the two little monkeys in the net?
8. Describe how Jay Berry sets the traps for the monkeys.
9. How much reward money could Jay Berry potentially get if he were to capture the monkeys?
10. Describe the area where Jay Berry lives and explores.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mama. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Wilson Rawls' use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Papa. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)