|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many acres of farmland did Jay Berry's parents inherit when he was a baby?
2. In what state is the inherited farmland located?
3. Where does Jay Berry set the monkey traps?
4. What escaped during the train wreck?
5. What does Papa have trouble believing about the monkeys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jay Berry's family live and how did they get their land?
2. How many monkeys were not recaptured after the train crash?
3. What does Jay Berry end up doing when he goes after the family milk cow which has escaped one day?
4. What things make Jay Berry content in his life?
5. Describe how the big monkey outwits Jay Berry's traps for a second time.
6. What is the name of the big monkey and what is Grandpa's suggestion for catching him?
7. What does Jay Berry do after he and Papa return to the bottoms but can't find the monkeys?
8. Where had Jay Berry's family come from and how long does it take them to get well established in Oklahoma?
9. What is notable about Daisy's health and how can her childhood be described?
10. What do Jay Berry's parents think when he tells them about the monkeys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilson Rawls was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Wilson Rawls' use of humor in the book. What do you think is the funniest situation? How was the author able to convey humor only through his words?
Essay Topic 3
Perseverance takes on an almost human persona in this book. In what ways are all the characters persevering in some way? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)