|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the boys plan to meet in Chapter 37?
2. Where do the boys go after freeing Lawrence in Chapter 41?
3. How does Mike explain Father Cavanaugh's death to the sheriff in Chapter 35?
4. What does Lawrence drop on the floor in Chapter 36?
5. What is set on fire in Chapter 40?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mike imagine while delirious with fever in Chapter 23?
2. How does Mike explain the death of Father Cavanaugh to the sheriff, and does the sheriff believe him?
3. How do the boys go about accelerating their plan in Chapter 37?
4. How does the basement of Old Central look in Chapter 38?
5. What does Cordie show the boys at the co-op in Chapter 31?
6. Why do the boys go camping in Chapter 29?
7. What happens during Father Cavanaugh's visit to Mike's house in Chapter 34?
8. What does Mike find out about the soldier from his grandmother?
9. What strange occurrence takes place at Michelle Staffney's birthday party?
10. How do the boys manage to get away from Dr. Roon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the supernatural elements in the novel. What are some examples of the supernatural in the novel? What can the supernatural beings do that humans cannot? How do these supernatural beings overcome the principle characters with their supernatural abilities?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Simmons' motif of darkness in the novel "Summer of Night." What are some examples of darkness in the novel? How does darkness create a mysterious and suspenseful tone? What are some major scenes which take place in the dark? How does the title of the novel relate to this motif?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of death in the novel "Summer of Night." How does Simmons illustrate the death motif throughout the novel? What do the characters think of death? How do the characters react to the deaths? Why are these deaths occurring?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)