|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Roon, what will the master do once Dale and Jim are in their new form?
2. What does Mike find on the ground in Chapter 40?
3. What are each of the boys armed with in Chapter 29?
4. Who makes a love confession to Mike in Chapter 30?
5. What do the boys buy in Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does The Book of Law give the boys in Chapter 32?
2. Describe Mike's encounter with Father Cavenaugh in Chapter 40.
3. How does the basement of Old Central look in Chapter 38?
4. What plan do the boys devise in Chapter 32?
5. Why do the boys go camping in Chapter 29?
6. How do Cordie and Kevin start a fire at the school?
7. What does Dr. Roon tell Dale and Jim in the classroom in Chapter 40?
8. What does Dale take from Mr. Ashley-Montague's shelf in Chapter 28?
9. What happens to the boys after Dale's mother leaves to give Dale's uncle some medicine in Chapter 36?
10. What does Mike imagine while delirious with fever in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Simmons's use of imagery in the novel. What are some examples of imagery? How do these examples relate to the themes and motifs of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and interpret the antagonists of the novel "Summer of Night." Who are the antagonists? Why are they the antagonists? What do they do to the main characters? What do the antagonists look like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)