|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the boys go after freeing Lawrence in Chapter 41?
2. What does Dale steal from Mr. Ashley-Montague?
3. Where does Mike decide to sleep in Chapter 35?
4. What do the boys buy in Chapter 35?
5. What is set on fire in Chapter 40?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the boys while in the belfry?
2. What does Mike imagine while delirious with fever in Chapter 23?
3. Why do the boys go camping in Chapter 29?
4. How do Kevin and Cordie fight off the creatures who come after them in Chapter 38, 39, and 40?
5. What plan do the boys devise in Chapter 32?
6. What does Dale take from Mr. Ashley-Montague's shelf in Chapter 28?
7. What strange occurrence takes place at Michelle Staffney's birthday party?
8. How do the boys go about accelerating their plan in Chapter 37?
9. How does Mike explain the death of Father Cavanaugh to the sheriff, and does the sheriff believe him?
10. How does Dale become inspired to be a writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The group of boys are the main characters of the novel. Mike, Duane, Dale, Kevin, Jim, and Lawrence all have significant roles in the novel and influence the plot in some way. What are these characters' defining character traits? How do they influence the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel, Dan Simmons. What other works has he received recognition for? Is his work usually similarly-themed? Does he always write in the same genre?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the supernatural elements in the novel. What are some examples of the supernatural in the novel? What can the supernatural beings do that humans cannot? How do these supernatural beings overcome the principle characters with their supernatural abilities?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)