|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Duane's father decide to move?
2. What does Kevin fill with liquid in Chapter 37?
3. Where does Jim go with the object he gets from the closet in Chapter 23?
4. What does Mike glimpse in the back of the rendering truck in Chapter 33?
5. What do the boys devise a plan to destroy in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mike explain the death of Father Cavanaugh to the sheriff, and does the sheriff believe him?
2. What plan do the boys devise in Chapter 32?
3. How do Cordie and Kevin start a fire at the school?
4. How do the boys manage to get away from Dr. Roon?
5. What does Dr. Roon tell Dale and Jim in the classroom in Chapter 40?
6. What strategy do the boys employ to outsmart the dangerous men in Chapter 29?
7. Why does Jim go into the woods in Chapter 23? What does Cordie tell Jim when they meet in the woods?
8. Describe Mike's encounter with Father Cavenaugh in Chapter 40.
9. What does Mike encourage Father Cavanaugh to do? What happens when Father Cavanaugh is attacked?
10. What does Mike find out about the soldier from his grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflicts in the novel "Summer of Night." Who is in conflict with whom and why? How do these conflicts affect the plot and the characters? Are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Simmons' motif of darkness in the novel "Summer of Night." What are some examples of darkness in the novel? How does darkness create a mysterious and suspenseful tone? What are some major scenes which take place in the dark? How does the title of the novel relate to this motif?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)