|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Duane go for further research in Chapter 13?
2. What does Duane's father have a degree in?
3. What nickname do the boys have for the teacher, Mrs. Doubbet?
4. What do the boys notice coming from the school building and heading into the grounds?
5. What building do the boys ride their bikes past in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duane learn from Alister Crowley's book, "The Book of the Law"?
2. What does Mike discover in Van Syke's shed at the cemetery?
3. Who stops Dale as he follows Cordie Cooke in Chapter 11? Who rescues Dale from this person?
4. What does Dale see when he goes into his flooded basement to replace a blown fuse?
5. What does Duane see on the wreckage following Art's car accident? What do Duane and his father discover when they return to look at the wreckage a second time?
6. What do the students suddenly hear at the school, and how does Principal Roon explain the sound?
7. What happens when Duane hears his father start the combine in Chapter 19?
8. In Chapter 22, what causes Jim to remember what he saw through the school window at the beginning of the summer?
9. What do the boys notice on the school grounds in Chapter 5?
10. Where are the Stewart boys heading and what do think they hear as they are walking to the center of town in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a motif of the novel. The friendships of the group of boys is explored. Describe the friendships between Mike, Duane, Dale, Jim, Kevin, and Lawrence. How do they show their loyalty to one another? What are some things that they do in the name of friendship?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflicts in the novel "Summer of Night." Who is in conflict with whom and why? How do these conflicts affect the plot and the characters? Are these conflicts resolved?
Essay Topic 3
The principle characters face many challenges along their quest to defeat the evil forces invading their small town. What are some of the challenges they face? How do they overcome them? What are some examples of when they work together to overcome a challenging situation?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)