|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Duane lying in Chapter 4?
2. Where do the boys meet in Chapter 10?
3. What does Mr. Ashley-Montague drive in from Peoria in Chapter 14?
4. Where does Van Skye have a part time job?
5. Why is Duane at home alone in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the students suddenly hear at the school, and how does Principal Roon explain the sound?
2. In Chapter 22, what causes Jim to remember what he saw through the school window at the beginning of the summer?
3. Where do Dale and Lawrence discover new furrows in Chapter 15? What happens while they are taking a closer look at one of them?
4. Where do Dale and his friends ride their bikes in Chapter 3? What does Lawrence think he hears as they pass the school?
5. Who approaches Mike as he is leaving the cemetery? Why does Kevin think this person is near the cemetery?
6. Where do the boys meet to discuss Tubby's disappearance, and what do they decide to do? What gets dropped into the water while they are meeting?
7. What does Jim Harlen see through the school window when he follows Mrs. Doubbet in Chapter 7?
8. What does Dale see when he goes into his flooded basement to replace a blown fuse?
9. What do the boys notice on the school grounds in Chapter 5?
10. Who stops Dale as he follows Cordie Cooke in Chapter 11? Who rescues Dale from this person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and interpret the antagonists of the novel "Summer of Night." Who are the antagonists? Why are they the antagonists? What do they do to the main characters? What do the antagonists look like?
Essay Topic 2
Simmons based some of the elements of the novel "Summer of Night" on his childhood friends and his hometown. What comparisons can be made between the characters and their real life counterparts? What similarities are there between the fictional town in the novel and Simmons's hometown? What real-life works and historical figures did Simmons reference in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Suspense is a common element of horror novels. The novel "Summer of Night" creates a feeling of suspense throughout. What are some scenes which are especially suspenseful? How does Simmons create suspense?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)