|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dale's brother think he hears as they pass the Old Central grounds?
2. Why does Congden say Van Skye couldn't have been driving the truck which chased Duane?
3. Where does Duane run to escape the truck which chases him in Chapter 9?
4. Who is Mrs. Moon?
5. Where do Dale and Lawrence discover new furrows in the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Dale and his friends ride their bikes in Chapter 3? What does Lawrence think he hears as they pass the school?
2. What awakens Mike just as he is nodding off in Chapter 12? What happens when he goes down into the basement?
3. Where do the boys meet to discuss Tubby's disappearance, and what do they decide to do? What gets dropped into the water while they are meeting?
4. What does Mr. Sperling find in the basement after Dale screams?
5. Why does Congden insist Van Syke was not the driver of the truck that attacked Duane?
6. Where are the Stewart boys heading and what do think they hear as they are walking to the center of town in Chapter 7?
7. In Chapter 22, what causes Jim to remember what he saw through the school window at the beginning of the summer?
8. After returning to his house with the constable and Dr. Staffney, what does Jim discover in his room?
9. What does Mike discover in Van Syke's shed at the cemetery?
10. Who approaches Mike as he is leaving the cemetery? Why does Kevin think this person is near the cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Simmons's use of imagery in the novel. What are some examples of imagery? How do these examples relate to the themes and motifs of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Simmons' motif of darkness in the novel "Summer of Night." What are some examples of darkness in the novel? How does darkness create a mysterious and suspenseful tone? What are some major scenes which take place in the dark? How does the title of the novel relate to this motif?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of fear in the novel "Summer of Night." What are some examples of fear in the novel? What are the boys fearful of and why? Do they face their fears?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)