|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dale and Lawrence discover new furrows in the ground?
2. What is the name of the Stewarts' next door neighbor?
3. Where does Duane find another note written by Art in Chapter 17?
4. What do Dale and Lawrence hear rustling around them in Chapter 7?
5. Where does Duane run to escape the truck which chases him in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the boys meet to discuss Tubby's disappearance, and what do they decide to do? What gets dropped into the water while they are meeting?
2. Where are the Stewart boys heading and what do think they hear as they are walking to the center of town in Chapter 7?
3. What does Ms. Moon tell Duane about the bell and a gruesome crime?
4. What does Duane learn from Alister Crowley's book, "The Book of the Law"?
5. What does Duane hear through his headphones in Chapter 4?
6. Why does Congden insist Van Syke was not the driver of the truck that attacked Duane?
7. What happens to Duane in Chapter 9 when he is walking into town?
8. What does Mr. Ashley-Montague tell Duane when Duane asks to see the historical records from 1876?
9. Who approaches Mike as he is leaving the cemetery? Why does Kevin think this person is near the cemetery?
10. What does Duane learn about Pintruicchio's murals while at Bradley University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel. Are there any surprises at the end of the novel? Are there any unanswered questions? Did you enjoy the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Suspense is a common element of horror novels. The novel "Summer of Night" creates a feeling of suspense throughout. What are some scenes which are especially suspenseful? How does Simmons create suspense?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and interpret the antagonists of the novel "Summer of Night." Who are the antagonists? Why are they the antagonists? What do they do to the main characters? What do the antagonists look like?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)